(Rumour) Canucks Interested in Boone Jenner

On 1/14/2024 at 5:17 PM, bishopshodan said:

I've always thought of him as an 80's Soap Opera star with that name.

Him, and Sam Steel.

Never really like the name “Boone,” it reminded me of a high school in the same county I was in… Boone High School..

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have a Hughes, so (after those rumours about Perry) definitely he’s a no. And IMHAO Duclsir isn’t a Tocchet kind of player. 

Ya I was saying think those guys are off the table 

I’m wondering if the Devils don’t look to move Toffoli at the TDL , all dependant on his wish to re-sign or pass of course..

( I’m surprised he has not re-upped yet)

The Devils may slip further yet.

As a rental to us ,  we might have something to offer a last ditch save for The Devils Before he goes UFA .

He’d look great here right now !

Edited by SilentSam

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’m wondering if the Devils don’t look to move Toffoli at the TDL , all dependant on his wish to re-sign or pass of course..

( I’m surprised he has not re-upped yet)

The Devils may slip further yet.

As a rental to us ,  we might have something to offer a last ditch save for The Devils Before he goes UFA .

He’d look great here right now !

Lateral move of Kuzmenko for Toffoli might work for both sides.

Devils wants a cost control top 6 winger. Kuzmenko has another year left after this year, and playing a more free flow style of hockey in NJD with players like Jack Hughes, I could see Kuzmenko rebound to similar points scoring rate as last year.

Toffoli comes in here as a rental again, and once his money comes off the book in the off-season, that money can be utilise in re-signing Petey and Hronek.

Both Vancouver and NJD can continue our run this season with this move. NJD doesn't have to worry about losing a top-6 winger when they are still in the mix for a playoff spot. Vancouver gets a top-6 winger who shown chemistry with Pettersson/Miller in the past, who would be better suited for RT's system.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Lateral move of Kuzmenko for Toffoli might work for both sides.

Devils wants a cost control top 6 winger. Kuzmenko has another year left after this year, and playing a more free flow style of hockey in NJD with players like Jack Hughes, I could see Kuzmenko rebound to similar points scoring rate as last year.

Toffoli comes in here as a rental again, and once his money comes off the book in the off-season, that money can be utilise in re-signing Petey and Hronek.

Both Vancouver and NJD can continue our run this season with this move. NJD doesn't have to worry about losing a top-6 winger when they are still in the mix for a playoff spot. Vancouver gets a top-6 winger who shown chemistry with Pettersson/Miller in the past, who would be better suited for RT's system.

Toffoli’s runnin outta good hockey. Lets get mid-late 20’s guys who have a handful of good years left. Lets not trade away the future for guys who “once were” but now are on the decline. We gotta continue making moves that always aims to buy a couple years of peak prime hockey. To continue extending the window and slowly inject developed youth and keep the ball rolling eternally as Boston, St. Louis, Detroit did forever…. Eventually their time will run/ran up, but eventually those teams all won a cup.

Edited by AnthonyG

On 1/14/2024 at 6:16 PM, Bob Long said:

I usually agree with you, but I really like this player. 

What is it about him that you think wouldn't make him good for a run ?

Boone is the exact type of player we need... He's a better maholta... A maholta that can score 25

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, The Duke said:

Remembering what Jeannot went for, I can see Boone returning a lot.

I think they're different players and are being looked at by teams for different reasons.

But the Jeannot trade is the epitome of Trade Deadline overpays. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a 5th. Foote I barely count as he wasn't even qualified by Nashville and NJ signed him, put him on waivers, and he has yet to play a game this year.  

Though Jeannot was only in his 3rd season, was 24/25 at the time of the trade, coming off a pretty sweet rookie year, and adding that toughness and meanness that can be hard to come by in young players these days. Jeannot was brought in to add some youth, grit, size, and toughness to an aging, slowing TBL, for cheap, cap-wise. And he throws hands like nobody's business. Jeannot has as many fights this season as Jenner has in his career. 

I know he's fallen off offensively, but he has decent numbers playing limited minutes for TBL. 41 games, 132 hits, 5 fights, 51.6% CF.

Jeannot would be a wicked addition to our squad. Guy could slide into the fourth line or jump up to the top 6 if needed.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. That Jeannot trade was just wild back then. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Toffoli’s runnin outta good hockey. Lets get mid-late 20’s guys who have a handful of good years left. Lets not trade away the future for guys who “once were” but now are on the decline. We gotta continue making moves that always aims to buy a couple years of peak prime hockey. To continue extending the window and slowly inject developed youth and keep the ball rolling eternally as Boston, St. Louis, Detroit did forever…. Eventually their time will run/ran up, but eventually those teams all won a cup.

I brought him up as a rental for the playoffs.

his cap hit is low.

Going into UFA,  we don’t need to re-sign him, cap is cleared for next season.

This is about playoff hockey now, not the future..   the future is lining up already with prospects in NA and Euro.

If NJ ,  takes him closer to the TDL ,  he won’t go for much ,  I think he is  a last minute transaction to somewhere regardless if NJ slips .. they are a bubble / wildcard if lucky

Edited by SilentSam

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I brought him up as a rental for the playoffs.

his cap hit is low.

Going into UFA,  we don’t need to re-sign him, cap is cleared for next season.

This is about playoff hockey now, not the future..   the future is lining up already with prospects in NA and Euro.

Yea but a one time opportunity …. Or 5 years of opportunities? AND a natural 2C… something we need in the top 6. Fuck renting, lets own!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea but a one time opportunity …. Or 5 years of opportunities? AND a natural 2C… something we need in the top 6. Fuck renting, lets own!

1 rental isn’t going effect the balance or direction of this Club.

This does seem like we could conference contenders to say the least.

The deeper we go this year, the Value to the core players, Team, and Management.

Every year is a one time opportunity,

How we are playing right now, should and could be maximized with 1 move, that pays off dividends to this Team.

Yes,  if the right player exists, a keeper..

but then that’s Cap Affective,  and then it Affects other Contracts yet to be signed.

I trust this Management.

They will get it right , regardless.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:12 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kuz, Woo, Wolanin and our 1st. That's the most.

We're not getting him. Colorado is supposedly offering Bowen Byram. And I don't want to get into a bidding war for Boone Jenner.  No matter how much I like him as a player.

Sometimes you don’t have to outbid other teams, if that team is interested in a specific player. I agree though. Not a fan of bidding wars. 

• Like 2

i like Boone Jenner but i don't think we're in a position to sacrifice too many picks / prospects just yet. We are only in year 1 of contention and if you look around the league historically, teams that just enter their contention window tend to be less aggressive with their futures

The current pro-scout team seems to have a good handle on identifying players that fit. I'd focus more on finding an under-performing player that Alvin and the scouts feel like they would fit better in our system ,,,, naybe

Kevin Hayes 

David Perron

Morgan Frost

Jack Roslovic

Victor Olofsson

Max Domi

Radek Faksa

I'm not saying any of the players above are having good seasons but, all of the players above have had good performances before. If Alvin and Co think they would flourish in the Canucks system than it's the type of buy-low targets that we could be looking at

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

The deeper we go this year, the Value to the core players, Team, and Management.

How we are playing right now, should and could be maximized with 1 move, that pays off dividends to this Team.

but then that’s Cap Affective,  and then it Affects other Contracts yet to be signed.

I trust this Management.

Cheers.

It starts with 1 rental…. Then the following season another rental.. and another… until you’re cores prime is gone, the future is traded away, the chances of winning get smaller and smaller to the point you need to rebuild. Imho if Eriksson ek truly is available and attainable. We go in on him. Thats a legit 2C that checks off a box of needs.

get the guy that limits the loss of the future and allows you to keep developing and inserting and finding that key piece through your own system. THEN when you are absolutely without a doubt the best team in every single area, THEN get your Toffoli. Not now. We have plenty of years with this cores prime to be smart and give ourselves the best chances, not just A chance. 
COL got Kadri and it took them a couple years, but it was thanks to all the overlapping years that helped them get so deep. Then they went and got the final few touches sprinkled on the roster and made themselves a complete team and went into playoffs swinging

33 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

It starts with 1 rental…. Then the following season another rental.. and another… until you’re cores prime is gone, the future is traded away, the chances of winning get smaller and smaller to the point you need to rebuild. Imho if Eriksson ek truly is available and attainable. We go in on him. Thats a legit 2C that checks off a box of needs.

get the guy that limits the loss of the future and allows you to keep developing and inserting and finding that key piece through your own system. THEN when you are absolutely without a doubt the best team in every single area, THEN get your Toffoli. Not now. We have plenty of years with this cores prime to be smart and give ourselves the best chances, not just A chance. 
COL got Kadri and it took them a couple years, but it was thanks to all the overlapping years that helped them get so deep. Then they went and got the final few touches sprinkled on the roster and made themselves a complete team and went into playoffs swinging

1 or 2 extra rounds of playoff hockey this season will be the difference,.

Not buying 1 guy at the wrong time for 3-4 years, and curtailing your Cap so you can’t afford your Glue Type players.

Toffolis cap hit right now is 21 k.

peanuts.

then he is a roster spot .

Then where you’re at when the season / playoffs ends , and where or how what World Class prospects can bump to the Big.

… and we do have World Class prospects that WILL NOT be given away for Toffoli.

But for someone to keep for 3-4 years, with bigger upside.  .  You will give away a WC prospect.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I trust this Management.

Cheers.

Haha I think the Raptors and kawhi Leonard would disagree...

Edited by ronning4center
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

If we trade any significant assets for him I’ll be disappointed. He is the Chris Tanev of forwards, the guy can’t stay healthy.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/boone-jenner-player-injuries I think think Chris tanev is a little bit of a stretch... Likely he's not going to get COVID again

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

i like Boone Jenner but i don't think we're in a position to sacrifice too many picks / prospects just yet. We are only in year 1 of contention and if you look around the league historically, teams that just enter their contention window tend to be less aggressive with their futures

The current pro-scout team seems to have a good handle on identifying players that fit. I'd focus more on finding an under-performing player that Alvin and the scouts feel like they would fit better in our system ,,,, naybe

Kevin Hayes 

David Perron

Morgan Frost

Jack Roslovic

Victor Olofsson

Max Domi

Radek Faksa

I'm not saying any of the players above are having good seasons but, all of the players above have had good performances before. If Alvin and Co think they would flourish in the Canucks system than it's the type of buy-low targets that we could be looking at

If being first in the league is not ready when would be a good time?

35 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

1 or 2 extra rounds of playoff hockey this season will be the difference,.

Not buying 1 guy at the wrong time for 3-4 years, and curtailing your Cap so you can’t afford your Glue Type players.

Toffolis cap hit right now is 21 k.

peanuts.

then he is a roster spot .

Then where you’re at when the season / playoffs ends , and where or how what World Class prospects can bump to the Big.

… and we do have World Class prospects that WILL NOT be given away for Toffoli.

But for someone to keep for 3-4 years, with bigger upside.  .  You will give away a WC prospect.

Boone is underpaid now and for 2 more years... You have to pay for players like that and we are not getting any cap flexibility due to our LTIR contracts... That 21k you talk about is only good for a few select teams, and not ours

18 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/boone-jenner-player-injuries I think think Chris tanev is a little bit of a stretch... Likely he's not going to get COVID again

If being first in the league is not ready when would be a good time?

Boone is underpaid now and for 2 more years... You have to pay for players like that and we are not getting any cap flexibility due to our LTIR contracts... That 21k you talk about is only good for a few select teams, and not ours

i'd advocate that this group should at least play 1 round of playoff hockey before we get too aggressive with trading away our futures....

• Cheers 1

Just now, bh90 said:

i'd advocate that this group should at least play 1 round of playoff hockey before we get too aggressive with trading away our futures....

and to add too this i've been a canuck fan for 21 years. 

i'm more excited than anyone about their success this year and i've spent thousands of dollars so far this year attending games.

I do want for the canucks to balance short-term and long-term needs because i don't want to go through another 10 years of mediocracy. I'd rather cheer for a playoff team year after year, not just this year

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

and to add too this i've been a canuck fan for 21 years. 

i'm more excited than anyone about their success this year and i've spent thousands of dollars so far this year attending games.

I do want for the canucks to balance short-term and long-term needs because i don't want to go through another 10 years of mediocracy. I'd rather cheer for a playoff team year after year, not just this year

I agree with that, but going after a player like Boone would be an investment, with 2 years left on their contract

Edited by MidKnight Ego

Just now, MidKnight Ego said:

I agree with that, but going after a player like Boone would be an investment, with 2 years left on their contract

But I digress, I'm sure the management team will do what they thinks is best

• Vintage 1

On 1/14/2024 at 6:38 PM, Nucker67 said:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Jenner - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Aman - Suter - Lafferty

I think Hoglander+ would be the player leaving in a trade. I can't see the Canucks trading Kuzmenko, only because of their relationship with Millstein and Kuzmenko choosing to play in VAN. I'd be surprised anyway.

Isn't Jenner on IR now?

I wonder if this just suddenly became a rumour because they're playing CBJ.

Can't trade Hogs. Why not 2024 and 25 firsts and Kuz 

• Cheers 1

Everyone hesitant about going all in but look at Toronto and Edmonton holding onto so many firsts and prospects that turned into nothing that could have possibly got them over the hump one of those years, I mean last year Toronto finally spent big and got out of the first round lol