"Free the Skate": The Canucks can and should choose the flying skate as its playoff home jersey

Miss Korea

Playoff home jersey  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff home jersey?

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Two logos for the playoffs would be dope, one Skate for home and one Orca for away unless they are able to get White skate jersey then use that for away games.  

I doubt you can introduce an additional jersey at this point.

Pretty sure they all have to be approved before the season.

• Cheers 1

Clearly an unpopular opinion, but I honestly can't stand the skate logo. It's a bad logo.

I had literally no idea what it was growing up. At one point I think I decided that it must have been a puck.

But most importantly, the logo has nothing to do with Vancouver, the surrounding area, or the name Canucks. Sure, the colors pop, but even then they don't really make sense for Vancouver. Maybe at one point the colors worked when we were the city of neon, but we very much are not that anymore.

I really just don't get it other than that it's fun to have a black jersey.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Clearly an unpopular opinion, but I honestly can't stand the skate logo. It's a bad logo.

I had literally no idea what it was growing up. At one point I think I decided that it must have been a puck.

But most importantly, the logo has nothing to do with Vancouver, the surrounding area, or the name Canucks. Sure, the colors pop, but even then they don't really make sense for Vancouver. Maybe at one point the colors worked when we were the city of neon, but we very much are not that anymore.

This 100% This 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

100% agree.

4D31A02F-A294-409F-BE37-B150D2A01073.gif.a4f0463b1e46add278070203a6e0ef56.gif

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The logo is tied to the franchise identity.  It has been worn by almost every notable captain in the team's history.

image.png.e9fc76d2b4e1d1c7bc7eaa5dc0037aa9.png image.png.a4bca2594fe272c30b946c991209b704.png image.png.6e6900f76fb17f7ff82f4d799d8843d7.png image.png.3d62e4b8c9c7e80dad0883ff98202f4a.png image.png.674b62f5ed132ddf62cbaaad1e74d5bf.png image.png.67009e1b5795d6e63fdfea6d88db3f50.png

Can't argue with these images.  Whether you think it fits Vancouver or not, the logo encapsulates so much of this team's history and identity.  It continues to come back.  You can argue the stick-in-rink logo goes even further back (and has been worn through the years up til recently), but the flying skate is an absolute fan favourite that continues to come back with great reception from the fans.  Most importantly, there's a new generation of young fans eating the merch up.  It's a moneymaking move.

They have really started to fine tune that jersey design.  Compare Horvat three years ago to Hughes today.  I think a permanent change is going to happen, but it'd be so cool to just rock it all postseason long.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

On 1/14/2024 at 11:42 PM, Miss Korea said:

I mean, Utica changed its colours when they switched to the Devils.  The only thing they'd have to do is the jerseys, which is completely fine.  As for paint and stuff, I'm not sore the arena is even blue.  Hell... Rogers Arena definitely isn't blue!

If they go back to skate jersey and those colours…. I will personally come down to Rogers Arena with a roller and help.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The logo is tied to the franchise identity.  It has been worn by almost every notable captain in the team's history.

image.png.e9fc76d2b4e1d1c7bc7eaa5dc0037aa9.png image.png.a4bca2594fe272c30b946c991209b704.png image.png.6e6900f76fb17f7ff82f4d799d8843d7.png image.png.3d62e4b8c9c7e80dad0883ff98202f4a.png image.png.674b62f5ed132ddf62cbaaad1e74d5bf.png image.png.67009e1b5795d6e63fdfea6d88db3f50.png

Can't argue with these images.  Whether you think it fits Vancouver or not, the logo encapsulates so much of this team's history and identity.  It continues to come back.  You can argue the stick-in-rink logo goes even further back (and has been worn through the years up til recently), but the flying skate is an absolute fan favourite that continues to come back with great reception from the fans.  Most importantly, there's a new generation of young fans eating the merch up.  It's a moneymaking move.

They have really started to fine tune that jersey design.  Compare Horvat three years ago to Hughes today.  I think a permanent change is going to happen, but it'd be so cool to just rock it all postseason long.

And the pictures don't even include McCarthy, Lever and Lidster.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

And the pictures don't even include McCarthy, Lever and Lidster.

I guess Lidster was captain for a brief moment before handing the reins over to Linden.  But McCarthy and Lever... you'd have to go back to the flying V era.  I'm not sure the world is ready for those crazy sweaters again.  That's taking it too far.  I can only imagine the uproar back in 1978.

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I guess Lidster was captain for a brief moment before handing the reins over to Linden.  But McCarthy and Lever... you'd have to go back to the flying V era.  I'm not sure the world is ready for those crazy sweaters again.  That's taking it too far.  I can only imagine the uproar back in 1978.

The flying skate logo was on the arms with the Flying V jerseys.  Lidster was just co-captain for a year I think but played more games than almost any defenseman in Canucks history, especially at the time of his departure.  Maybe second only to Snepsts.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The flying skate logo was on the arms with the Flying V jerseys.  Lidster was just co-captain for a year I think but played more games than almost any defenseman in Canucks history, especially at the time of his departure.  Maybe second only to Snepsts.

The transition from the shoulder to the full on crest was probably well-received at the time.

In any case, it's so integral to the team's identity and I say this as a fan whose first captain I remember is Mark Messier.

I don’t think the skate jersey will ever be a full time thing. It’s a nice throw back gimmick. I personally love the jersey and would welcome it full time. But Aqua loves the blue and green. He’s not changing it.

Anyone else notice since Lu called out “free the skate” in his ring of honour ceremony we haven’t seen the skate much since. The team was wearing it quite a bit before that and pretty much nothing since. Hopefully it didn’t piss Aqua off too much. I still want to see it more often than not.

• 2 months later...

Some key reasons to use Skate Jersey for playoffs:

• When it comes to mood, warm colours like red, orange and yellow can stimulate and energize. On the other hand, cool colours like blue, green and purple tend to have a calming effect.
  • The puck disappears on goalies when we shoot it in our black jerseys, making it harder to stop
  • Black makes Canucks look bigger, more intimidating to the opposition
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:09 PM, EB43 said:

Skate for the playoffs, win the cup.  Put the Orca away for ever.

That’s why I always wonder… if we win a cup with the whale, the awful logo will be attached with the team for ever. That s why I want the skate for the playoffs. At least every home game. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, DexM94 said:

That’s why I always wonder… if we win a cup with the whale, the awful logo will be attached with the team for ever. That s why I want the skate for the playoffs. At least every home game. 

Would that really make you sad though? 

20 hours ago, Slegr said:

Some key reasons to use Skate Jersey for playoffs:

• When it comes to mood, warm colours like red, orange and yellow can stimulate and energize. On the other hand, cool colours like blue, green and purple tend to have a calming effect.
  • The puck disappears on goalies when we shoot it in our black jerseys, making it harder to stop
  • Black makes Canucks look bigger, more intimidating to the opposition

Yep.  You need to get to the playoffs (Orca)....when it comes to playoffs though, like Luongo said, free the skate! 

Why would you want to ditch the best looking colour scheme in the league for something that looks like the bastard child of the Bruins and Flames?

Revenge for 94?  I'd rather see revenge for 2011 with the Canucks vanquishing the contemptible Bruins in Blue and Green.  1994 hurt but at least the team we lost to was respectable (minus Messier of course).

Blue and Green forever!

1 hour ago, Morgan 33 said:

Why would you want to ditch the best looking colour scheme in the league for something that looks like the bastard child of the Bruins and Flames?

Revenge for 94?  I'd rather see revenge for 2011 with the Canucks vanquishing the contemptible Bruins in Blue and Green.  1994 hurt but at least the team we lost to was respectable (minus Messier of course).

Blue and Green forever!

Because it's better.     And we also owned it.   Unlike Buffalo's colours (who we for sure shared).   We were the first one to use Black in that way.     Were you around for "back then".   Messier wasn't the enemy until after that series.  "the best part about winning this cup, is because of how great an opponent we faced"  that was his acceptance speech.   We were all super proud of our team in 94.     Can't say that about 2011.   Luongo was crucified.  Fans embarrassed me to be a fan.  Messier "messed up" when he came, wouldn't accept the second line center role, was given the Captaincy (that's also on Linden, but he had respect which is kind of understandable ... that team hasn't won a thing either) and kept his number.    And more than anything, we just sucked. 

And for record.  It was more about Keenan than Messier.    Beating Keenan and St. Louis was cathartic.     Having him come here sucked.   Even still, Keenan's antics, which helped implode the team, one that was just entering its prime as far as core goes,  turned into the most successful era in club history.   The WCE - Sedin era.    And we got Linden back.   Without checking, i'm sure we won more playoff games in the black and white/orange and red, then we've won in the blue and green.    

Edited by IBatch

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Because it's better.    

Well, that's clearly subjective.  To my eyes, our current set is the best we've ever looked while the Skate is just the current flavor of the month.

And we also owned it.  

We're the only team in the league that uses Blue, Green and White in any capacity.  Can't the same about Red, Black and Yellow.   Good branding 101 is owning a colour scheme.  Bad branding is having one set of colours at home and the complete opposite on the road.

The players like black.

Black is the most popular colour(Shade) in fashion and cars....because it looks cool. 

The skate logo is a bit funky but it is ours ( plus an old friends dad worked on the design)

Anway, bring back the skate as our main digs, however keep fin as our mascot cause Orcas are cool. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1