[Speculation] Senators Reportedly Entertaining Offers For Jakob Chychrun

Senators Reportedly Entertaining Offers For Jakob Chychrun

January 15th, 2024 at 10:23am CST • By Josh Erickson

A bottom-feeder team with no salary cap flexibility is not a good place to be. It’s a rare situation, but it’s one the Senators find themselves in. They’re 29th in the NHL despite lacking the cap space to carry a full roster all season long.

That unfortunate combination has new Senators GM Steve Staios examining possible trades to finally kickstart the Senators’ rebuild out of low gear while freeing up financial maneuverability in the process. Their internal list of expendable names includes blueliner Jakob Chychrun, according to a report from The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta.

The 25-year-old has been a constant in trade talks over the past few seasons as a member of the Coyotes, but most assumed that would end when Arizona finally pulled the trigger on a deal to send him to Ottawa for three draft picks days before last season’s deadline. Less than 11 months later, though, his name has re-entered trade discourse.

Per Pagnotta, multiple league sources and one anonymous NHL GM have heard Chychrun’s name pop up in recent weeks. No one would go so far as to claim the Senators were actively shopping the 2016 first-round pick, though.

The fact that Chychrun is back on the trade block is not at all a reflection of his play since joining the Senators. He’s put up 31 points in 50 games (a 51-point pace), including last season’s post-deadline stint, all the while playing over 22 minutes per game and logging solid possession metrics. His pairing with sophomore Jake Sanderson is top-ten in the league at limited expected goals against among duos with over 100 minutes together, per MoneyPuck data, seeing tougher competition than most others at the high end of that stat. He’s also logged significant minutes on his off-side with Thomas Chabot this year, controlling 55.3% of expected goals.

This season, he leads Senators defensemen in all scoring categories with seven goals, 19 assists and 26 points in 38 games. Injuries remain a concern and will limit his trade value, having never played more than 70 games in a season since debuting with Arizona in 2016, but he remains a top-pairing caliber defenseman when in the lineup.

Locked into a $4.6MM cap hit through this season and next, that’s tough value to beat. Nearly every contending team looking to add an impact player on defense will ring Staios over the next seven weeks before the March 8 trade deadline if Chychrun’s name remains on the table. Per CapFriendly, Chychrun has a ten-team no-trade clause, so he has some say in any potential deal.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/01/senators-reportedly-entertaining-offers-for-jakob-chychrun.html#ref=home

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Senators Reportedly Entertaining Offers For Jakob Chychrun

January 15th, 2024 at 10:23am CST • By Josh Erickson

A bottom-feeder team with no salary cap flexibility is not a good place to be. It’s a rare situation, but it’s one the Senators find themselves in. They’re 29th in the NHL despite lacking the cap space to carry a full roster all season long.

That unfortunate combination has new Senators GM Steve Staios examining possible trades to finally kickstart the Senators’ rebuild out of low gear while freeing up financial maneuverability in the process. Their internal list of expendable names includes blueliner Jakob Chychrun, according to a report from The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta.

The 25-year-old has been a constant in trade talks over the past few seasons as a member of the Coyotes, but most assumed that would end when Arizona finally pulled the trigger on a deal to send him to Ottawa for three draft picks days before last season’s deadline. Less than 11 months later, though, his name has re-entered trade discourse.

Per Pagnotta, multiple league sources and one anonymous NHL GM have heard Chychrun’s name pop up in recent weeks. No one would go so far as to claim the Senators were actively shopping the 2016 first-round pick, though.

The fact that Chychrun is back on the trade block is not at all a reflection of his play since joining the Senators. He’s put up 31 points in 50 games (a 51-point pace), including last season’s post-deadline stint, all the while playing over 22 minutes per game and logging solid possession metrics. His pairing with sophomore Jake Sanderson is top-ten in the league at limited expected goals against among duos with over 100 minutes together, per MoneyPuck data, seeing tougher competition than most others at the high end of that stat. He’s also logged significant minutes on his off-side with Thomas Chabot this year, controlling 55.3% of expected goals.

This season, he leads Senators defensemen in all scoring categories with seven goals, 19 assists and 26 points in 38 games. Injuries remain a concern and will limit his trade value, having never played more than 70 games in a season since debuting with Arizona in 2016, but he remains a top-pairing caliber defenseman when in the lineup.

Locked into a $4.6MM cap hit through this season and next, that’s tough value to beat. Nearly every contending team looking to add an impact player on defense will ring Staios over the next seven weeks before the March 8 trade deadline if Chychrun’s name remains on the table. Per CapFriendly, Chychrun has a ten-team no-trade clause, so he has some say in any potential deal.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/01/senators-reportedly-entertaining-offers-for-jakob-chychrun.html#ref=home

Condescending Wonka GIF

• Haha 4

At this point he is a really “nice to have” if we could manage the cap going forward.  Like if we didn’t re-sign Cole and had Chychrun we are better off for not much more money.

D. Petey + 1st round pick, top ten protected + Myers with retained salary to even out the dollars (expiring money just to make it work).

Someone else can likely beat that, but it is sure a nice looking d for this run and next year.

This year:

Hughes-Hronek

Chychrun-Cole

Soucey-Zadorov

Juulsen

Next year:

Hughes-Hronek

Chychrun-Zadorov

Soucey-Juulsen

XX

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Blame poor cap management. Chychrun himself isnt the issue.

Do gotta wonder why he's always the one going out the door when he's supposedly a good hockey player on a good value cap hit.

• Cheers 2

In assessing this Vancouver Canucks team, the only real weakness I see is that this team is likely doomed if Quinn Hughes went down with injury for the long term.  We don’t have that #2A/#3 

calibre defenseman that could “step up” to the top pairing and still maintain that we have an elite top pairing even if one of Hughes/Hronek went down with injury. 

Now - here is what’s going to happen: Some people are going to respond to my post and say, “Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, or Myers would all do just fine playing alongside Hughes or Hronek……and to that, I would say, “Yes, those players are more than capable of playing with Hughes or Hronek and being decent………….,BUT, they wouldn’t be elite. They wouldn’t drive play or “tilt the ice” in our favor just as Hughes/Hronek are currently doing.

Quinn Hughes is the one player that the Canucks cannot afford to lose to injury. Think about it.  Mikheyev or Kuzmenko would easily be able to join “the lotto line” and keep the line fairly elite if one person got injured.  Similarity, Suter could fill in anywhere on the Garland line if any of that trio got injured.  

Then, you have all of Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Raty that could fill in on all lines except for the first line in a supporting role.  

Even in net, the Canucks wouldn’t sink if we lost Demko since we still have DeSmith.

Losing Quinn Hughes however, for an extended period of time, would single-handedly move us from being an elite calibre team to a middle-of-the-road calibre team since we don’t currently have a #2A/#3 calibre dman.  Soucy, Myers, Cole, and Zadorov are all solid defenseman, but they are #4 calibre dmen at best.  

That’s one thing about that 2011 Canucks team.  Losing any ONE player to injury wouldn’t have sank that team.  In 2019/2020, everyone knew that losing Markstrom (before Demko truly became Demko) would sink us.  Fast forward to 2024, and I now make this same argument with Quinn Hughes.

Using Myers++ to trade for Chychrun would help alleviate that in my opinion.

If you don’t want to pony up assets, for “Chych the bitch,” that’s understandable.  I would then suggest taking a look at Chris Tanev however and seeing if Calgary would give him back to us for cheaper (although at this stage of his career, I’m not even sure if Tanev would be considered a strong #3).

Remember how from 2011-2017, the media in Vancouver became obsessed with the Boston model and Boston’s sphincters?  Now might be a good time to temporarily go back to that mindset.  Boston are weak up front but are absolutely stacked on the back-end and there’s a reason for that).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Chychrun on the second pairing would definitely go a long way. But, I'm sure management wouldn't want to get into a bidding war and overpay. That's the first concern, and the second being Chychrun's durability as he's often been injured.

Only way I could see this working though is if Ottawa was willing to take back Zadorov + pick or prospect. As I've watched Zadorov more, I do get the sense that at most, he'll be a 3rd pairing defensemen for us, and we saw how he didn't like that in Calgary. I really like the idea of Zadorov on paper, but his play hasn't shown me that he's able to carry those minutes. Especially with Zadorov as a UFA next year and the rumors being he that he wants term + a raise, now may be the time to move on if he doesn't fit the long term picture.

• Cheers 2

Don't think we can afford him, he could be great to have depending on what kind of extension he'd be interested in though. He's better than anyone on our D not named Hughes or Hronek though, and either him or Hronek would be a very good 3D. 

27 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Chychrun on the second pairing would definitely go a long way. But, I'm sure management wouldn't want to get into a bidding war and overpay. That's the first concern, and the second being Chychrun's durability as he's often been injured.

Only way I could see this working though is if Ottawa was willing to take back Zadorov + pick or prospect. As I've watched Zadorov more, I do get the sense that at most, he'll be a 3rd pairing defensemen for us, and we saw how he didn't like that in Calgary. I really like the idea of Zadorov on paper, but his play hasn't shown me that he's able to carry those minutes. Especially with Zadorov as a UFA next year and the rumors being he that he wants term + a raise, now may be the time to move on if he doesn't fit the long term picture.

Zadorov was a 5D in Calgary, maybe he could be more here, but there's a chance he's just a very good 5D who can step up. My statement isn't a knock on his toolbox, but while he's been steady he hasn't blown me away as a Canuck. 

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Zadorov was a 5D in Calgary, maybe he could be more here, but there's a chance he's just a very good 5D who can step up. My statement isn't a knock on his toolbox, but while he's been steady he hasn't blown me away as a Canuck. 

Yeah, he hasn't necessarily been bad, but has really just been a good 5/6D option for us. If there was a way management could manage to package Zadorov + to Ottawa for Chychrun and not overpay, having Hughes, Hronek, and Chychrun as a top 3 would improve our D-core by quite a bit. The thing with Zadorov is if he's really wanting top 4 minutes, he'll get them, but I don't think he's proven that to us just yet.

That is unless he can adjust some parts of his game with Foote, Gonchar, and the rest of the coaching staff's help.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Yeah, he hasn't necessarily been bad, but has really just been a good 5/6D option for us. If there was a way management could manage to package Zadorov + to Ottawa for Chychrun and not overpay, having Hughes, Hronek, and Chychrun as a top 3 would improve our D-core by quite a bit. The thing with Zadorov is if he's really wanting top 4 minutes, he'll get them, but I don't think he's proven that to us just yet.

That is unless he can adjust some parts of his game with Foote, Gonchar, and the rest of the coaching staff's help.

ngoway I trade Zadorov for a suspect Chych.

• Haha 2

Trade Zaddy out in the midst of this season. Apologies, but that’s a horrible take, even if you’re doing so to replace with Chychrun. 
This is the year you go in to acquire both or something like that.
No lateral moves 

Just now, RWJC said:

Trade Zaddy out in the midst of this season. Apologies, but that’s a horrible take, even if you’re doing so to replace with Chychrun. 
This is the year you go in to acquire both or something like that.
No lateral moves 

You have to give to get, and you also have to move salary out to move salary in. Simply was a proposal and I'm sure management are going to look at many different scenarios if they feel like they can improve the team.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ngoway said:

You have to give to get, and you also have to move salary out to move salary in. Simply was a proposal and I'm sure management are going to look at many different scenarios if they feel like they can improve the team.

I see Zadorov as our least likely to be traded behind Soucy, Cole and Myers. A team might WANT zad, but so did we and that’s why we got him. I just don’t see us flipping assets so quickly Vegas style. 

Absolutely agree you have to give to get though. I just hope it’s not us giving. I like our D as it is. 

• Cheers 1