[Speculation] Senators Reportedly Entertaining Offers For Jakob Chychrun

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Paid a premium for Debrincat and Chychrun and having to trade them the very next year at lesser returns has gotta hurt. Feel bad for the Sens as they looked like good pickups for a team trending upward.

This is exactly, EXACTLY why we should not do ANYTHING. we are at max cap. Unless we suddenly get some LTIR we should make no moves, dont fuck the chemistry.

If there's ever a chance to improve our team, you make it. Right now our future 2nd pairing LD is kind of a mix of Zadorov, Cole and Soucy. We don't really have a top guy there but don't necessarily need one with Hughes. Obviously Cole has a good 6-18 months of hockey left in him. Soucy really looks like a strong 5th defenceman and not really a 2nd pairing guy. Zadorov is probably a very good 4-5th guy as well but he has made some fair mistakes at times. I'd be all for getting Chychrun but it'd cost us a similar price as Hronek. We also don't really want our 2nd LD playing offensive minutes, we want a good shutdown guy.

I'd go much harder after someone like Hanifin than Chychrun. We can table a pretty good package - a top defensive prospect (D.Petey, Brutz etc.) + 1st + player like Kuzmenko. Throw Zadorov onto the right side, Soucy the 3LD anchor and suddenly our minutes look a lot nicer. Hughes can play 23 minutes, Hanifin 21-22 minutes and Soucy the remaining 15-17 minutes a night. That's the left side of our D locked up for the next 5 years easily and the best in the league by a long shot. On the right, we rotate around Hronek, Willander, some AHL fringe guys like Juulsen and throw Zadorov onto the 2RD role with Hanifin.

21 hours ago, ngoway said:

Chychrun on the second pairing would definitely go a long way. But, I'm sure management wouldn't want to get into a bidding war and overpay. That's the first concern, and the second being Chychrun's durability as he's often been injured.

Only way I could see this working though is if Ottawa was willing to take back Zadorov + pick or prospect. As I've watched Zadorov more, I do get the sense that at most, he'll be a 3rd pairing defensemen for us, and we saw how he didn't like that in Calgary. I really like the idea of Zadorov on paper, but his play hasn't shown me that he's able to carry those minutes. Especially with Zadorov as a UFA next year and the rumors being he that he wants term + a raise, now may be the time to move on if he doesn't fit the long term picture.

Not to turn this into a Zadorov bashing thread, but I've been very disappointed with his lack of physicality. Yes he is a big guy and he wins a few more board battles because of it, but he has only made 2 "big" zone entry hits in his 15+ games with the team.

I know he is probably still adjusting to the systems and learning to play a better brand of hockey, but the Canucks didnt need another 5/6th defender. They needed a 5/6 defender that was physical. Just not seeing that from him.

35 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Not to turn this into a Zadorov bashing thread, but I've been very disappointed with his lack of physicality. Yes he is a big guy and he wins a few more board battles because of it, but he has only made 2 "big" zone entry hits in his 15+ games with the team.

I know he is probably still adjusting to the systems and learning to play a better brand of hockey, but the Canucks didnt need another 5/6th defender. They needed a 5/6 defender that was physical. Just not seeing that from him.

I think something that tends to happen with any trade is that we'll always hope the player turns out to be more than they are. I'll admit I had high hopes that Zadorov would become a solid #4 and maybe even #3 option. Watching Zadorov more now though, his ceiling really could just be fringe #4 and a solid #5/#6 defensemen.

With that being said though, Zadorov has definitely added to the defense core and helped with stabilizing it. I think what we're seeing is that we're having to stretch defensemen into that #3 spot, and it tends to alter their games. Zadorov seems tired at times with more minutes, so I have a feeling if we can solidify the D even more with a legitimate #3, Zadorov's play/physical play could pick up.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

gotta wonder why the Sens want to trade Chychrun. 

Is he a locker room cancer? 

I think it’s just a matter of they have a sense that he won’t re-sign to be there longer. So 1.5 years of Chychrun should pull a better return then waiting longer and doing it in the summer or next trade deadline. Cut loses and get max return.

• Cheers 1

If I'm Ottawa and looking for cap flexibility, I'd move Chabot and keep Chychrun.  Chabot also has trouble staying healthy and honestly, I see him as a 8M$ younger Myers.  I don't believe that contract will age well and his struggle defensively will be highlighted if/when his offensive production start to dip.  I'd move him now, while he still has value.

Sanderson can replace Chabot's offensive production going forward IMO.

23 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Very hard to find players who do that consistently well without putting themselves out of position. Soucy is excellent at it but a lot of his prowess comes from the possibility he might destroy you down low or along the boards. It's mostly the fear that does the job as compared to the number of times he levels one of those monster hits. When he does though, it's ice shattering.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Very hard to find players who do that consistently well without putting themselves out of position. Soucy is excellent at it but a lot of his prowess comes from the possibility he might destroy you down low or along the boards. It's mostly the fear that does the job as compared to the number of times he levels one of those monster hits. When he does though, it's ice shattering.

Thats fair. And of course I don't expect him to be leveling guys every game. I just thought we would see that physicality a little more frequently.

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Thats fair. And of course I don't expect him to be leveling guys every game. I just thought we would see that physicality a little more frequently.

Yeah I'm with you 100%. I think Zadorov is a good player. I wanted him ever since junior with his combo of size, snarl, skating, and offence. I think the biggest problem with him is he gets himself out of position with a lot of those hits ... he's probably erring on the side of caution, told to be cautious, and we are winning still. It's a nice card to have in the pocket. Great acquisition and he'll be key come playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm with you 100%. I think Zadorov is a good player. I wanted him ever since junior with his combo of size, snarl, skating, and offence. I think the biggest problem with him is he gets himself out of position with a lot of those hits ... he's probably erring on the side of caution, told to be cautious, and we are winning still. It's a nice card to have in the pocket. Great acquisition and he'll be key come playoffs.

For sure. If he is just playing cautious and his physicality is just a switch he can flick when the playoffs start then i'll be thrilled

• Cheers 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:42 AM, JayDangles said:

Agreed, I knew he wasn’t going to layout guys every game but was hoping for more physicality from him.

not sure why we are afraid to split Hughes and Hronek up and pair Zadorov and Soucy with them to see how they perform as a top 4 with veteran Cole and Myers (hopefully traded)

Zadorov also seem to be a bit aloof out on the ice, would like to see him shoot more and why not throw him in front of the net ala Chara in Boston…perfect screen imo leave him in front!

On 1/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, JayDangles said:

I agree. And besides his size, he's a pretty average defenseman otherwise. His value IS in his hitting ability. If he cannot step it up for the playoffs, I'm not against letting him walk considering he's looking for even more money than he already makes.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:04 AM, Alflives said:

IMHAO Chychscrub isn’t a cancer. He’s just a dough head. Hard to win with dough heads. 

You should have a show that follows HNIC called After After Hours.

• Haha 1