[PGT] Canucks at Bluejackets: Escape from Buffalo aka Revenge of Panda Express

Flight is on its way home. Maybe after a long trip like this they need a welcome party at the airport? Just sayin.... you got 3 hours to plan it ha ha.

AC7037ACA.png
ACA7037
LANDING IN 4h 10m
Monday, January 15 2024
18:16 EST
DELAYED
Scheduled 17:00
Monday, January 15 2024
19:53 PST
ON-TIME
Estimated 19:53
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

When I do my "it is really hard to catch up" threads in past years when our team is 10 points or more in the standings it gets folks riled up.

We are now in the opposite side of that equation.

A little under 40 games left.  Vegas needs to get 10 points more than us over that span for us not to be first in the division, that is startlingly hard to do.

Say if the Canucks just keep a .600 average up for the rest of the year which is 98 points average over a whole season (well below our current pace the first half of the season, and not hard to do with loser points involved).  That gives us 108 points by the end of the year.

That means to overtake us and get 109 points, Vegas needs to play .724 hockey the rest of the way out... or a 118 point pace over an entire season.  Only 0-2 teams have managed that pace per year over the last few full years.  So turning around playing as a top elite team for the 2nd half is a massive uphill climb.

Even if we only play .500 hockey which would be tough to do with loser points helping out, Vegas still needs to gain more than 2 points every ten games on us to overtake us in the standings with under half a season left.  One ten game stretch of mediocre play by them or one good stretch of ten games for us effectively seals the deal now... Vegas needs BOTH of the opposite to happen to have even a remote chance.

It feels so much better to be in the positive side of these kinds of calculations. Wasn’t but the first 1/3 mark of last season where we knew we were all but eliminated barring a miracle.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What a cracking performance after all the adversity they've had to put up with leading up to the game... 

It was obvious they were skating in mud and their heads were on the way home to Vancouver long before the shootout.

I would have been happy with 7 points from the road trip, but they showed their true colours, and managed 11 out of 14 points. 

Really proud of the them all...

DeSmith must surely be the best back up in the league...

Finally, It was great to see them talk to Derek Dorsett.... the boy was all heart. His heart is still in Vancouver.

Agreed @spook007

It’s clear to everyone now (we were believers before) our club is really good. We see what happens to pretenders, like the Kings, when their schedule gets harder. They collapse. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

Tocc needs to use his timeout more, Just even randomly..boys are exhausted give them a break in OT and re-load the line! We are the far superior team.

That’s a good idea! Timeout and put Hughes, Petey, Bess out again. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

All of the above.

There’s been a few of us @Dr. Crossbar (including yourself and Spook and some others like Deb) who have been believers in our club from before game one. We have never had D like Hughes. And then we added Hronek. I don’t know if we’ve had a guy as good as him before either! Then add Petey, Miller and DEMKO and we for sure will be good. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Nucks understandably looked gassed in the 3rd period. Still- goes without saying that this was a very successful road trip.  11 out of 14 points on a tough eastern road trip is a sign of an elite team.

Exactly! You are great! We are great! M-5 is great! 
But this Canucks’ club is the greatest!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, I was wondering if we'd get possession at 3v3 until those penalties opened things up 

Miller does that wide skate every time. It's useless. 

But ... you know what they say ...

That seemingly canned response everyone loves to use ... that feverishly overused saying around here ...

"To be fair" ...

Well ...

In not being unfair ... and ... in all fairness ... because it's seemingly important to be fair ...

They were gassed. It really was a great road trip. 

Well to be fair .....

we're very reasonable here on CFF

image.png.6105e7f30c05e5a39325a4ffe07688ba.png

image.png.29f2d5592c2653bbfdfd89a2de0e0567.png

image.png.a8cdc55880137023c7a77355e41e694f.png

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed @spook007

It’s clear to everyone now (we were believers before) our club is really good. We see what happens to pretenders, like the Kings, when their schedule gets harder. They collapse. 

Cheers Amigo.

Have a feeling we are heading into a really special time in the history of the Canucks... 

The team has the depth required and toughness required to go toe to toe with anyone in the league...

Will it be sufficient, who knows, but they are legit...

Just so damn happy to watch them play, and love they are making all the nay sayers eat their words... Life as a Canucks fan is great.

PS. Can I just add, I so damn happy for all the long suffering Canucks fans as well.... They deserve this team. Lets bring it home.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There’s been a few of us @Dr. Crossbar (including yourself and Spook and some others like Deb) who have been believers in our club from before game one. We have never had D like Hughes. And then we added Hronek. I don’t know if we’ve had a guy as good as him before either! Then add Petey, Miller and DEMKO and we for sure will be good. 

Exacrly, Alf! And just think ... it's only getting better! What we're seeing is special.

Keep fighting the good fight. Happy Hronek! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well to be fair .....

we're very reasonable here on CFF

image.png.6105e7f30c05e5a39325a4ffe07688ba.png

image.png.29f2d5592c2653bbfdfd89a2de0e0567.png

image.png.a8cdc55880137023c7a77355e41e694f.png

Lol ... totally nailed it!!! 🙂

• Haha 3

I hope Gaudreau is happy. As long as money buys happiness I guess.

He's the epitome of a player who's just in it for the greenback. So glad we never picked him. He got his big contract, and signed it for a team that will be below the radar, and he'll be able to make his fortune and walk down the street hassle free. Just pop in the occasional goal to not get run out of town (ha ha they couldn't if they wanted to now).  Chillax and float for the next 6 years @ almost $10 mill per in a low tax State, close to family.  What more do you want?  Oh.....that......meh, the Stanley Cup is overrated.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/news/canucks-have-longest-homestand-road-trip-in-nhl-next-season#:~:text=Canucks have longest homestand %26 road trip in NHL next season&text=The Vancouver Canucks 2023-24,also the longest road trip.

Great news is: Vancouver will be home for almost all of March only 3 Pacific Division games prior to the home stand

The Canucks, meanwhile, will be out on the road for seven straight with no holiday break making theirs the longest continuous road trip in the NHL next season. The team starts its journey in St. Louis on January 4th then ventures to New Jersey, both New York teams, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and the trip concludes in Columbus on January 15th.

The Canucks nine-game homestand from March 9th to 31st is the only time any team in the NHL will play that many straight on home ice next season. It is the longest single stretch of games at Rogers Arena since the building opened in 1995 and matches the club's second-longest homestand from the 1974-75 season. The team record is 10 straight on home ice from January 13th to February 3rd of 1982. The Canucks went 4-3-3 over that span.

They will be so rested for the playoffs.  Looking good boys.  Just a short trip to the southwest of US, Alberta and Manitoba and that's all folks in April.  Who dreamt that we'd go 5-1-1 before the start of the season?  Me neither.   My verdict do it again.  So the similar trip like this but just a bit adjustment: do this for future road trips: starting in Washington DC, Philadelphia, NJ, NYR, NYI, Boston, Montreal and Ottawa for the trip home for total of 8 games.  Buffalo-Toronto is a must in a case of a lake-effect snow which can happen at anytime for all teams.  What I have noticed, while they looked fatigue but they do have some leg that made a game out of it.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1