[PGT] Canucks at Bluejackets: Escape from Buffalo aka Revenge of Panda Express

53 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Dude,

our offence was drying up until they got put together - hence why they were put together in the first place. Petterson, our elite all star was struggling to put up points with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. That just goes to show those 2 are not 2nd line calibre players and 3rd line players on a cup contending team. I’m not trying to knock down their success so far in the season. I’m as happy as the next person. I just think we shouldn’t ignore flaws in our game/line up just because we’re putting up the wins. I just want the team to do some damage when we get there. Other teams that do well in the regular season but flop in the playoffs: Oilers, maple leafs, Winnipeg. 
This team needs an upgrade in the top 6. Too many third liners making 2nd line money (Mikheyev, kuzmenko, garland).

Garland was 1st liner on an awful Coyote team before his trade here and he is proving that he is still a first liner but with chemistry with 3rd line and still produced points when our superstars was in slump.  Garland is worth the money for now.  He can walk at end of the contract.   I agree with Mikeyev and Kuzmenko assessment however Mikeyev needs time to get it going considering that he have had no training camp and a proper summer training.  I would give him another year to prove himself, coming back from a serious injury.   If they are on 2nd line and doing right stuff, I do not see any reason to jump to the conclusion and let see 2C first but I think that they will do for now seeing we will lost most of them in the off-season so do not rush trading away most of our prospects.  Be patient and I think that it will work itself out if Mik and Kuz can form a chemistry after seeing 1st, 3rd and 4th line has chemistry and do not want to mess them up.  We are that close to a complete chemistry where nobody could stop them.  A snowstorm stopped them so give it time.  We have some prospects is heating up so might see them in the playoff as our 2nd liner and might surprise them without a trade.  I do not see anything on the market that will help us immediately even with the rumors on names that I do not agree with their assessment. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

If I didn’t get there with them? Lol 

I follow this team religiously. I just think there’s room for improvement and rather see those changes happen now while there’s time and not in the playoffs when it’s too late to make any changes. I celebrate wins just as much as the next person but my vision isn’t so jaded that I ignore the flaws in our game. Seems like most people are just content with the win, not how we get there. Most people would be content with the Canucks just making the playoffs. I’d be happy if they made some damage when they get there.

What qualifies you over the rest of us though? I never miss a game. How can you celebrate as much as the next person if you're busy picking things apart?

It's fine if you don't believe this team's got it....but they're proving that they do. At some point, we all have to admit that the management team in place knows what they're doing (and what to do next). Upgrading isn't as easy as just wish for it and it will be. And they've been pretty crafty so far.

Your vision is maybe jaded. And I understand why....but time to let go of that and give this team some credit where it's due. Can't just ignore what they have done because you project fear down the road.

We may not hoist the cup but not because this team isn't this or that....because it's really tough and only ONE team does.

....but if that's your aha moment you're the one doing it wrong, not the rest of us. We're busy enjoying the ride regardless of the outcome. Yes, we'd all love a cup and that's the ultimate goal but everything has to line up perfectly. Right now, they are for us.

I don't watch this team only waiting for A moment...there are many great moments along the way to celebrate. I look back at 2011 with great memories flooding in despite the hugely awful way it ended. It doesn't define the team.

"Most people are just content with the win, not how we get there". Doesn't matter "how" a team gets there, only matters that they "do" get there. No teams slide through flawlessly and they ARE getting there. That's the point. Not executing to perfection, which is unrealistic.

19 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

How far we've come...

Never had a problem whatsoever with our coach sticking up for our guys. Especially when he knew what Hartley was doing. And this was a time when we needed someone, anyone, to stand up, not take shit, and stick up for each other. 

It only took a decade to now start doing that as a team, playing grittier and tougher, battling, and doing what it takes ... when it's uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah. Ovi was silly. I remember him wanting his teammates to come around and 'warm their hands' on his stick that was 'on fire' lying on the ice after one of his goals.

Jagr used to be dumb too, his 'salute' days were cringe.

The one I liked was Selanne doing duck hunt (or was that Jagr?) can't remember.   Jagr's salute at least had meaning behind it, and was quick and one and done.    Don't remember Bossy, Hull(s), Espo, Dionne, Mario, Gretzky or other fantastic goal scorers, acting like they've earned a parade or something over and over and over again.    Don't mind some colour either.   Williams was funny because, well he wasn't blowing up the league.   Same with Ronning.    Theo Fluery's was somewhat enduring too.   If you don't do it all the freaking time, it's fine in my books.   Ovi's had about us much class as Domi doing the heavyweight belt after not winning a decisive fight over Probert.   When did Probert ever do anything but skate to the box....Probert didn't like Domi doing that and took him to task for it, in a way Crosby calling out Ovi was the same thing.   

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Crosby dialed it in pretty quick.   And was a completely different player than Ovi.   Ovi would score a goal in a nothing regular season game, and celebrate like he'd just won the Cup or a Gold Medal.   All the time too (because well he scored a lot!).   Grandfather or regular cellie's really.     Crosby scored and immediately took his mouth piece out and went to whomever passed the puck or made the play or the first guy there had a modest little huddle, a stick tap to the leg, maybe a pat or two and back to business.   At one point he even called Ovi out on this which was funny.   Crosby living with Mario helped too.   Learned how to be a top pro quickly. 

Yeah so true. With Crosby it's all about the team and doing every little thing he can better to help that out, even if it goes completely unnoticed ... even by all of us hockey freaks. Haha, Ovechkin finally made some alterations to his game to win a Cup. It was late in his career and didn't last long.

Now I know they are two years apart but Crosby is redefining himself yet again. He's already got 26 goals in 42 games. One pace for 51 at season end after tallying 16, 24, 31, 33, the last four. Health was a bit of a factor as he did play 82 last year but averaged only 55 the 3 prior. Still if you watch him play, he's got the fire, as evidenced in the game they played against the Canucks. Definitely is a higher GPG. Team needs grit, he checks, team needs leadership he leads, team needs goals, he scores.

Back to Ovie ... poor guy I thought he was going to break Gretz's goal record but not looking so hot now. He'd have to play another 3-5 seasons after this one, or get back to ... you know actually scoring ... only 8 so far playing with a bunch of youth and without Backstrom. I was kind of hoping he'd do it but now I'm not as sure. I was always a Crosby supporter of the two. Although it might be good for the game... what do you think?

Edited by Gawdzukes

16 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I look at like... Winni, Van, Edm, Vegas or L.A. will be top four in conference.  So we won't play any of these teams 1st round... I'm only really worried about the Jets. 

Edmonton... I have to admit, is playing a structured game.  Never seen them be this disciplined.  They're letting the game come to them...

BUT ultimately, in a 7 game series their D and goaltending can be exploited.  

So I'm happy that we're given a round before facing these teams.  

Hey Hogs ... I agree with your assessment but I'm also very wary of Dallas. As our own Mr. Green used to say. They got a good team over there. Colorado is good but I think they're beatable as is ... although I expect a pretty big TDL for them. As you say we hopefully secure a lesser opponent in the first round but after that we got to beat the best to be the best. Edmonton is on a serious role but they'll have the same concerns come playoff time. It's something they need to address internally as I don't think any player movement at the TDL is going to drastically change that unless they Hedman or something ... which is not happening. Have they turned a corner at all. I don't know I can't honestly say I've been watching much of their run here.

18 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Yeah, I'll be doing some pre-drinking so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to drink at the pub and it'll be good. 

Are you in Ontario?

Thank you. You as well I know that you mean for Saturday

I am actually in Sask. I am weird I spend winter's here with the family and often live in Alberta, BC, or other during the summer. Still excited for Saturday but we got the Coyotes first. They are a pretty decent team. Hmmm, hope that GDT is up soon ...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey Hogs ... I agree with your assessment but I'm also very wary of Dallas. As our own Mr. Green used to say. They got a good team over there. Colorado is good but I think they're beatable as is ... although I expect a pretty big TDL for them. As you say we hopefully secure a lesser opponent in the first round but after that we got to beat the best to be the best. Edmonton is on a serious role but they'll have the same concerns come playoff time. It's something they need to address internally as I don't think any player movement at the TDL is going to drastically change that unless they Hedman or something ... which is not happening. Have they turned a corner at all. I don't know I can't honestly say I've been watching much of their run here.

I am actually in Sask. I am weird I spend winter's here with the family and often live in Alberta, BC, or other during the summer. Still excited for Saturday but we got the Coyotes first. They are a pretty decent team. Hmmm, hope that GDT is up soon ...

Coyotes GDT is up

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

What qualifies you over the rest of us though? I never miss a game. How can you celebrate as much as the next person if you're busy picking things apart?

It's fine if you don't believe this team's got it....but they're proving that they do. At some point, we all have to admit that the management team in place knows what they're doing (and what to do next). Upgrading isn't as easy as just wish for it and it will be. And they've been pretty crafty so far.

Your vision is maybe jaded. And I understand why....but time to let go of that and give this team some credit where it's due. Can't just ignore what they have done because you project fear down the road.

We may not hoist the cup but not because this team isn't this or that....because it's really tough and only ONE team does.

....but if that's your aha moment you're the one doing it wrong, not the rest of us. We're busy enjoying the ride regardless of the outcome. Yes, we'd all love a cup and that's the ultimate goal but everything has to line up perfectly. Right now, they are for us.

I don't watch this team only waiting for A moment...there are many great moments along the way to celebrate. I look back at 2011 with great memories flooding in despite the hugely awful way it ended. It doesn't define the team.

"Most people are just content with the win, not how we get there". Doesn't matter "how" a team gets there, only matters that they "do" get there. No teams slide through flawlessly and they ARE getting there. That's the point. Not executing to perfection, which is unrealistic.

The only weakness in this team I’ve talked about is its second line with Petey joining the 1st line. 
mikheyev - Sutr - kuzmenko is a third line on a cup winning team. Do we plan to ride it out and leave things as they are. I’m just saying the president trophy teams had a better second line with kesler on it and just as good or better depth throughout the rest of the lineup. 
We can all be homers and talk about how good things. Or we can highlight the weakness in the line up and still celebrate wins. I just don’t turn a blind eye to areas that need improvement.