[PGT] Canucks at Bluejackets: Escape from Buffalo aka Revenge of Panda Express

14 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

As far as I can see, I think there are two kinds of trades to be made. The first is a strict playoff rental on an expiring contract that will cost draft picks and/or someone far down the organizational depth chart. I don't believe you trade away a roster player for a rental. Rentals might include guys like Tarasenko, Eberle, Kubalik, Duclair and Toffoli. 

Other potential rentals include Maroon, Barabanov, Tanev, Justin Schultz and Edmundson.

The second kind of trade would be for keepers, or guys signed beyond this season who can be signed to an extension later. These guys will be difficult to acquire and will absolutely cost warm bodies and or top prosepcts. Allvin will have to think long and hard about giving up anyone from the pool of prospects he's assembled. Players who could be keepers could include Alex Tuch, Casey Mittelstadt, Arber Xhekaj, Johnathan Kovacevic, Daniel Sprong, Lawson Crouse and. Frank Vatrano.

I'm not saying these guys are Allvin's targets; I'm just speculating at what an approach could look like. 

The problem with the first approach is a good piece to add, even as a rental, will break the cap a roster player has to move off. 

Second scenario as well although circumstances are different.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bastards.

Damn, oh well, will be nice to zmash then in the playoffs rather than have them humiliated by not making them ... note of caution, one needs to be careful what one wishes for.

Toronto is coming apart at the seams.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

Yeah the team has been great so far but not sure why some people are acting like we have won it all already. We’re 13 points away from being a wildcard team. I have never seen the standings this close in a while. A stretch of 5-6 bad games and teams below us doing well could take us from being at the top to being a wildcard team. That’s why every win and loss matters. There’s some people that try to justify losses because of our record so far. Well we’re only half way through the season. We’ve been lucky not to have any major injury problems *knock on wood*. I can see our depth faltering if that happens. We need an addition for sure to our top 6. 

• Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Yeah the team has been great so far but not sure why some people are acting like we have won it all already. We’re 13 points away from being a wildcard team. I have never seen the standings this close in a while. A stretch of 5-6 bad games and teams below us doing well could take us from being at the top to being a wildcard team. That’s why every win and loss matters. There’s some people that try to justify losses because of our record so far. Well we’re only half way through the season. We’ve been lucky not to have any major injury problems *knock on wood*. I can see our depth faltering if that happens. We need an addition for sure to our top 6. 

Relax. No one is acting like we “won it all”. These guys just battled through the longest road trip of the season and got 11/14 possible points and played some excellent hockey. They deserve some cheer. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There is a very nonsensical portion of the fanbase that doesn’t want to admit that the team is quickly becoming a juggernaut. 

I remember a time when the team was middling, didn’t pushback, let other teams dictate the pace of play more than not and now that we have the highest scoring, second largest, competitive and hungry team, people seem to want to wait for the regression they “know” is coming. 

I ask simply, “Why?”

It is a little to early to call this team a Juggernaut

Juggernaut= a massive inexorable force, campaign, movement, or object that crushes whatever is in its path

Lets at least wait until they win a Cup before we call them that. Yes a Cup not just a playoff  round but a Cup. 1980s Edm and NYI were Juggernauts maybe Det in the late 90s early 2000s. Pit in early mid 90s. Montreal 1956-60 even TBL when they won 2 in a row in the modern Cap era. But Vancouver come on. I'm being optimistic these days about the Canucks but seriously this is delusional calling them a juggernaut. No wonder some people including myself even recently have to be skeptical about their success because if every one became a cheerleader like you are being now there is no true perspective about their success. This core group of Canucks haven't even won a playoff series yet. Even Tocchet who is a hockey god or son of a hockey god would tell you that. 

And to answer your question "WHY?" 

It is quite simple, This team hasn't won anything yet. They have won regular season games and lots of them but that doesn't mean it will translate into playoff success and it sure doesn't mean it will bring home a Stanley Cup

Examples: Where this Fan base has seen the same storyline before

2002-2003, Canucks Record 43-23-13-1 totaling 104ps

Naslund 104 pts second in the league

Bertuzzi 97 pts 5th in the league 

Jovanovshi 47 pts and 10th overall for dmen in the league

2003-04 same story pretty much and we all know how it ended some playoff success and 0 cups

Not even going to talk about 2011 and years before that but the results were mostly the same more playoff success for sure but 0 cups

I think most fans as much as they are enjoy the success the team is having now also does realize that the ultimate goal is to win a cup. If this team doesn't do it in the next 3 years with this core and a Hockey god coaching them then this fan base will turn on this team very quickly because the ultimate goal is to win a cup. Alain Vigneault doesn't coach this team today because he wasn't able to deliver the ultimate prize and the same fate will happen to the Hockey God that coaches this team if he can not deliver the ultimate prize.

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

18 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

It is a little to early to call this team a Juggernaut

Juggernaut= a massive inexorable force, campaign, movement, or object that crushes whatever is in its path

Lets at least wait until they win a Cup before we call them that. Yes a Cup not just a playoff  round but a Cup. 1980s Edm and NYI were Juggernauts maybe Det in the late 90s early 2000s. Pit in early mid 90s. Montreal 1956-60 even TBL when they won 2 in a row in the modern Cap era. But Vancouver come on. I'm being optimistic these days about the Canucks but seriously this is delusional calling them a juggernaut. No wonder some people including myself even recently have to be skeptical about their success because if every one became a cheerleader like you are being now there is no true perspective about their success. This core group of Canucks haven't even won a playoff series yet. Even Tocchet who is a hockey god or son of a hockey god would tell you that. 

And to answer your question "WHY?" 

It is quite simple, This team hasn't won anything yet. They have won regular season games and lots of them but that doesn't mean it will translate into playoff success and it sure doesn't mean it will bring home a Stanley Cup

Examples: Where this Fan base has seen the same storyline before

2002-2003, Canucks Record 43-23-13-1 totaling 104ps

Naslund 104 pts second in the league

Bertuzzi 97 pts 5th in the league 

Jovanovshi 47 pts and 10th overall for dmen in the league

2003-04 same story pretty much and we all know how it ended some playoff success and 0 cups

Not even going to talk about 2011 and years before that but the results were mostly the same more playoff success for sure but 0 cups

I think most fans as much as they are enjoy the success the team is having now also does realize that the ultimate goal is to win a cup. If this team doesn't do it in the next 3 years with this core and a Hockey god coaching them then this fan base will turn on this team very quickly because the ultimate goal is to win a cup. Alain Vigneault doesn't coach this team today because he wasn't able to deliver the ultimate prize and the same fate will happen to the Hockey God that coaches this team if he can not deliver the ultimate prize.

I am not saying this about you - but I feel like people who post similar things to you eat boogers.

Sure juggernaut may be a bit much. But, we’re first in the league and last year when we sucked, after seeing a trip like we just had, we’d probably have described a different teams success and overall season success in a similarish way. 

This team and its coaching has a history of winning at all levels. We haven’t had a chance yet with this group, but it doesn’t mean they haven’t come from other winning cultures and aren’t all pulling in the same direction. 

I understand wanting to see this team win big before putting belief in them. We all want a cup.

Please tell me who you think is a better cup favourite and why they have your backing when this team doesn’t?

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Relax. No one is acting like we “won it all”. These guys just battled through the longest road trip of the season and got 11/14 possible points and played some excellent hockey. They deserve some cheer. 

I’ll remain skeptical until they loft the cup. Tired of 10 years of mediocre results. We’ve added the right pieces to get to where we are but something’s gotta be done about the top 6. Majority of our offence on this road trip came from 1 line. That’s not sustainable in the playoffs. Won’t take long for a team in the playoffs to figure out all they need to do is shut that line down and 60-70% of our offence dies with them.

We have one 1st line, two 3rd lines and a 4th line. Need to bring in someone for that second line. I think most fans are just hoping to make the playoffs finally and maybe win one round. I want them to finally go all the way. 50+ years and waiting…

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I am not saying this about you - but I feel like people who post similar things to you eat boogers.

Sure juggernaut may be a bit much. But, we’re first in the league and last year when we sucked, after seeing a trip like we just had, we’d probably have described a different teams success and overall season success in a similarish way. 

This team and its coaching has a history of winning at all levels. We haven’t had a chance yet with this group, but it doesn’t mean they haven’t come from other winning cultures and aren’t all pulling in the same direction. 

I understand wanting to see this team win big before putting belief in them. We all want a cup.

Please tell me who you think is a better cup favourite and why they have your backing when this team doesn’t?

History shows that teams that have already had playoff experience and past success win Cups. I'm not saying every team that has had playoff success win cups but those teams that can take it to the next level.

Currently those teams are 

Vegas (so much playoff success it's ridicules) , Col (Mackinnon and their depth), Winn ( is a team that I'm keeping an eye on they could be due for some serious playoff breakthrough and they have the piece's of a winning team but their special teams hurt them TBL and Bos ( you just can't count these to teams out they could place 1st or 8th it doesn't matter experience goes a long way) Rangers are up there as well. LA to a lesser extent.

By no means am I saying they can't beat these teams but we all know that the playoffs are a different beast and my guess is that if the Canucks make it to the third round they are going to be playing a team that is by far more playoff experienced then them and by some chance they get past the third round and make it to the Stanley Cup final many factors will play a role in who wins. Health, for sure. But let's say it is a team like TBL currently 8th in the eastern conference does that make them an easier opponent how about Pitt currently out of a playoff spot does it make it easier? Pitt is a harden playoff team their down side is age but it is also very much a benefit not a single player other than Cole has. Just think of that the most experienced playoff harden player the Canucks has is Ian Cole.   

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I’ll remain skeptical until they loft the cup. Tired of 10 years of mediocre results. We’ve added the right pieces to get to where we are but something’s gotta be done about the top 6. Majority of our offence on this road trip came from 1 line. That’s not sustainable in the playoffs. Won’t take long for a team in the playoffs to figure out all they need to do is shut that line down and 60-70% of our offence dies with them.

We have one 1st line, two 3rd lines and a 4th line. Need to bring in someone for that second line. I think most fans are just hoping to make the playoffs finally and maybe win one round. I want them to finally go all the way. 50+ years and waiting…

I agree with you 100%. We should all be skeptical and hope for the outcomes that bring us to the ultimate goal - a cup. 

We have been supported from the resurgence of the lotto line while the garland line has been consistent, but taken a back seat (unlike when they were driving play and our 1 and 2 forward lines were quiet). If secondary scoring dries up that is definitely cause for concern. 

If players aren’t trending where we need them to be, I trust management to bring in the necessary pieces whether they plan to keep the lotto line together longer term or not. Because either way we need better performance in our bottom top six. 

Maybe I’m a dreamer - I believe our window opened earlier than expected. Yes, we might not get it done this year, but I think we’ll go far even if we don’t win it all.

This won’t be enough to

convince some members here who demand a cup before believing - but I can’t heckin wait for the playoffs to come so we can prove all these doubters wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

History shows that teams that have already had playoff experience and past success win Cups. I'm not saying every team that has had playoff success win cups but those teams that can take it to the next level.

Currently those teams are 

Vegas (so much playoff success it's ridicules) , Col (Mackinnon and their depth), Winn ( is a team that I'm keeping an eye on they could be due for some serious playoff breakthrough and they have the piece's of a winning team but their special teams hurt them TBL and Bos ( you just can't count these to teams out they could place 1st or 8th it doesn't matter experience goes a long way) Rangers are up there as well. LA to a lesser extent.

By no means am I saying they can't beat these teams but we all know that the playoffs are a different beast and my guess is that if the Canucks make it to the third round they are going to be playing a team that is by far more playoff experienced then them and by some chance they get past the third round and make it to the Stanley Cup final many factors will play a role in who wins. Health, for sure. But let's say it is a team like TBL currently 8th in the eastern conference does that make them an easier opponent how about Pitt currently out of a playoff spot does it make it easier? Pitt is a harden playoff team their down side is age but it is also very much a benefit not a single player other than Cole has. Just think of that the most experienced playoff harden player the Canucks has is Ian Cole.   

Totally fair and can’t disagree with that. The distinction I was making was individual player success in playoffs previously that are now on our roster versus Canucks club success. You brought up Cole and so recognize what I’m saying. 

I’ll keep hoping that what we’ve seen so far this season in tough spots is what we can expect in the playoffs - that’s good enough for a winning chance any night. 

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

This is where Petie shows he can't get the lofty 13-14M because he had a chance to carry one line but has now shown that he only prospers on the 649 line.

Love Petie but his contract can't handcuff us like a TO suck head "star". TO is out to lunch on its contract levels. Same with  Huber-dough.

7 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

It's hard to choose a cup favourite before the trade deadline but the reality is that there will be several teams that have a good shot at the cup this year and Vancouver will be one of them.

It's awesome to know your team is in the mix but we all know little being at the top means insofar as play-off results. Just ask Boston. I look forward to seeing what management does to improve a play-off roster and suspect a little more nastiness up front is in order.

GCG 

Edited by NHL Tyranny
  • Cheers 2