Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I wonder if it's a C they're looking for, or if it's still another Top 6 winger (Guentzel, Tarasenko, etc).

Has that now changed because of the Lotto Line success?

I think the team has more faith and will lend more patience to seeing Suter in that role than the fanbase right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko straight up for Eriksson-Ek?  Haha, that's funny.  Dude is literally one of the best two way forwards in the NHL and is on pace for 30+ goals.  

This trade makes sense for both teams actually.  Minnesota isn't making the playoffs this year, so they will most likely be looking to rebuild.  They also need to make Kaprizov happy so they bring in Kuzmenko so they play together.  They also get Hoglander on a cheap contract and also get a 1st round pick.  The expiry of Kuzmenko's contract also aligns with Minnesota's dead cap coming off the books, well at least the majority of it.  So, they should be able to re-sign him to a long term deal.  Also, Marco Rossi is playing well this year and playing between the two Russians he could become their 1C.

As for Vancouver, we get our 2C at a great contract for 5 more years and a great two way forward to ease the burden off Miller to be our shutdown centre.  It also allows Petey to stay on the Lotto Line for now.  Eriksson-Ek can also play LW, so there is the potential to mix and match and have Petey play with Eriksson-Ek.  When Lekkerimaki comes in we can have an all Swedish line too.  

I like Hoglander, but he is literally a 4th liner right now, so not sure how some people can say he is the deal breaker in the deal.  We have Podkolzin coming up who is bigger and more talented than Hoglander who will replace him.

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.  Minnesota might be the one that says no...

I think it's a stretch to say Podkolzin is more talented than Hoglander. When have we ever seen evidence of that? He hasn't managed to break away from Abby this year.

Podkolzin has 19 points in 26 games, which puts him 7th on the team in scoring. Behind Bains, Dries, Karlsson, Wolanin, and Sasson. He has 11 more games than Aman but only 4 more points. I like Podkolzin but completely disagree that he is "more talented" than Hoglander. How many Michigan goals does Podkolzin have?

Hoglander is on the fourth because we need a 2nd line centre. And we tried Kuzmenko on the fourth, but that $5.5m was doing nothing down there, whereas Hoglander is extremely effective down there. And if Kuz gets traded, Hoglander is most likely sliding into that top spot. 

Hoglander has 9 more games in his career than Podkolzin, with 11 more points, and he scores at 0.35p/g over Podkolzin's 0.28. And Hoglander still has less toi/gp than Podz.

Podkolzin could be a great power forward for us, if he can figure it out and put it all together. But historically, Hoglander has been the more effective player.

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree... this is a very good point. He can't do all the heavy lifting alone...

If they can't get a tough 2C, at least get a big body that can play top 6...

Ideally we already have the answer.  Mikheyev would be that guy. Tocc needs to get in his ear.  

image.png.0e39e6cd5f361bc0099e7a26903dbb9a.png

If he added some Hansen to his game we would be in pretty good shape.   

Mik and Kuzz can really help each other and form a dangerous line together if they bring their lunch pales. If not they'll continue to starve and we will see guys like Lafferty get better opportunities. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko straight up for Eriksson-Ek?  Haha, that's funny.  Dude is literally one of the best two way forwards in the NHL and is on pace for 30+ goals.  

This trade makes sense for both teams actually.  Minnesota isn't making the playoffs this year, so they will most likely be looking to rebuild.  They also need to make Kaprizov happy so they bring in Kuzmenko so they play together.  They also get Hoglander on a cheap contract and also get a 1st round pick.  The expiry of Kuzmenko's contract also aligns with Minnesota's dead cap coming off the books, well at least the majority of it.  So, they should be able to re-sign him to a long term deal.  Also, Marco Rossi is playing well this year and playing between the two Russians he could become their 1C.

As for Vancouver, we get our 2C at a great contract for 5 more years and a great two way forward to ease the burden off Miller to be our shutdown centre.  It also allows Petey to stay on the Lotto Line for now.  Eriksson-Ek can also play LW, so there is the potential to mix and match and have Petey play with Eriksson-Ek.  When Lekkerimaki comes in we can have an all Swedish line too.  

I like Hoglander, but he is literally a 4th liner right now, so not sure how some people can say he is the deal breaker in the deal.  We have Podkolzin coming up who is bigger and more talented than Hoglander who will replace him.

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.  Minnesota might be the one that says no...

I think Vancouver needs to be persistent like they were with the Red Wings and Hronek with certain targets like Eriksson-Ek for example. I am confident yes the club will look at rental types and players being made available, but they also appear determined to target players that could very well not be available at first glance.

Detroit was not shopping Hronek and they were not looking to move him proactively, that was an identified target by Vancouver and persistence by the Canucks turned into negotiations and a subsequent deal.

Vancouver could push for guys like Monahan or others who can help the club maybe on a shorter term basis but identifying and proceeding to negotiate and trade for players that have term and can fit into the team's core window that is the impressive stuff. Minnesota loves Eriksson-EK, Guerin signed him to his current contract and if I was a betting man I would say he is not available or going to be made available, BUT as a fan I think he would be a solid fit, and if the Canucks do too, I am confident they could figure something out. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Ideally we already have the answer.  Mikheyev would be that guy. Tocc needs to get in his ear.  

image.png.0e39e6cd5f361bc0099e7a26903dbb9a.png

If he added some Hansen to his game we would be in pretty good shape.   

Mik and Kuzz can really help each other and form a dangerous line together if they bring their lunch pales. If not they'll continue to starve and we will see guys like Lafferty get better opportunities. 

Yeah, don't know what has happen to Mika... He seems snake bitten and a lack of confidence.... Maybe just maybe a better C can lift them both another 5-10%... I actually think Kuz has improved as a player... for whatever reason the puck just doesn't go into the net...

Saw someone put some numbers up stating, while they aren't scoring they are playing a sound defensive game, so it is not all negative.

If Kuz finds his mojo and 'lucky' socks again, the second line could be golden.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Comox Blaster said:

Even thought the Canucks are having one of the their best seasons in years we can't trade away 1st and 2nd draft choices.  We spent too many years with the cupboard bare and always seemed to trade away our best picks in desperation for salvaging a season.  Play it smart.  

The cupboards are not bare now, and we have good depth on our fwd group in the nhl too. Trading away a 1st with Lekkermaki, Willander, etc in the pipe is just fine IF acquire a longterm asset on a good contract. EK is that guy.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I think it's a stretch to say Podkolzin is more talented than Hoglander. When have we ever seen evidence of that? He hasn't managed to break away from Abby this year.

Podkolzin has 19 points in 26 games, which puts him 7th on the team in scoring. Behind Bains, Dries, Karlsson, Wolanin, and Sasson. He has 11 more games than Aman but only 4 more points. I like Podkolzin but completely disagree that he is "more talented" than Hoglander. How many Michigan goals does Podkolzin have?

Hoglander is on the fourth because we need a 2nd line centre. And we tried Kuzmenko on the fourth, but that $5.5m was doing nothing down there, whereas Hoglander is extremely effective down there. And if Kuz gets traded, Hoglander is most likely sliding into that top spot. 

Hoglander has 9 more games in his career than Podkolzin, with 11 more points, and he scores at 0.35p/g over Podkolzin's 0.28. And Hoglander still has less toi/gp than Podz.

Podkolzin could be a great power forward for us, if he can figure it out and put it all together. But historically, Hoglander has been the more effective player.

Podkolzin had 14 goals in the NHL in his rookie season playing 12 minutes a night.  So yes we do have evidence that he is very talented.  He went into a sophomore slump, same as Hoglander.  They both had terrible sophomore seasons.  Hoglander also had to go back to the AHL for an entire season last year to get his game back.  Same as Podkolzon this year.  Podkolzin is technically on a better PPG pace this year in the AHL than Hoglander was last year.

Hoglander started the year in the NHL because he couldn't go back to the AHL unless he was put on waivers.  Podkolzin had one more year of waiver eligibility, so they sent him down right away, I don't even think Podkolzin played one pre-season game.

Hoglander was put into the top 6 at one point this year.  He got into Tocchet's doghouse and then got shuffled down to the 4th line where he has remained for several weeks now.  So, I don't think you are correct to say that Hoglander is only on the 4th line because we need a 2C.  Even Lafferty has been moved up to the top 6 recently over Hoglander.

Not sure why you bring up Michigan goals, nobody cares about those and just because you can do one doesn't mean you are more talented than someone else.  Would you trade for Trevor Zegras right now just because of his Michigan goals?

At the end of the day, Podkolzin was a top 10 pick, he's a power forward who plays hard and plays Rick Tocchet hockey.  He was sent down this year to Abby to improve his game and get more confidence.  If you actually watch Podkolzin play in Abby, he is usually the best player on the ice.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yeah, don't know what has happen to Mika... He seems snake bitten and a lack of confidence.... Maybe just maybe a better C can lift them both another 5-10%... I actually think Kuz has improved as a player... for whatever reason the puck just doesn't go into the net...

Saw someone put some numbers up stating, while they aren't scoring they are playing a sound defensive game, so it is not all negative.

Mik's 6'3 and can skate, he's in good enough shape to log some minutes but he needs to find some edge. 

20 hits, 6 blocks, 9 take away's, 4pims. I'd like to see a lil more friction in his game.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Vancouver needs to be persistent like they were with the Red Wings and Hronek with certain targets like Eriksson-Ek for example. I am confident yes the club will look at rental types and players being made available, but they also appear determined to target players that could very well not be available at first glance.

Detroit was not shopping Hronek and they were not looking to move him proactively, that was an identified target by Vancouver and persistence by the Canucks turned into negotiations and a subsequent deal.

Vancouver could push for guys like Monahan or others who can help the club maybe on a shorter term basis but identifying and proceeding to negotiate and trade for players that have term and can fit into the team's core window that is the impressive stuff. Minnesota loves Eriksson-EK, Guerin signed him to his current contract and if I was a betting man I would say he is not available or going to be made available, BUT as a fan I think he would be a solid fit, and if the Canucks do too, I am confident they could figure something out. 

Eriksson Ek fits the profile of what Tocchet is looking for.  And he fits the profile of the type of player we are looking for to fit with this core, 26 years old.  He is also signed for 5 more years at $5.25 million, so he is cost controlled throughout OEL's buyout.  Having a 2C at only $5.25 million is a huge cap advantage.  Bo is at $8.5 million for exam[le and he would have been our 2C here.

Monahan helps short term, but I don't think Allvin is going to trade a 1st round pick for a rental, it doesn't fit what he has been doing here so far.  If we trade the 1st round pick plus other assets it will be for a guy like Eriksson Ek who is signed long term...

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Mikheyev tore his ACL last year, so he needed some time to get back into it this year.  I don't think he was 100% on game shape until last month.  He seems to be skating much better now than at the beginning of the year.  His timing looked off as well and he is just getting that back as well.  Plus Kuzmenko's confidence is shot so playing with Kuzmenko isn't helping Mikheyev get points right now.

If you put a 2C like Eriksson Ek with Mikheyev, you can have one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL.  They could even throw Miller or even Petey on LW to have a complete shutdown line.

Petey    Eriksson Ek   Lekkerimaki

D-Petey    Willander

We can also have an all Swedish line and a Swedish 5...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

A little over 5mil and has term left. 60 point 2nd line center with a very good two way game and is only 26 years old. Like, this is a great idea for a pickup. Was 4th, 7th and 9th in Selke voting the last 3 seasons. Of all the rumoured names, this one might be the most intriguing cause he's not expiring and is not expensive. But he's been a consistent 20-25 goal scorer for what will be 3 years when he hits that mark this season. I am a lot more comfortable giving up a 1st and a prospect when the guy we're acquiring is 26, is a perennial Selke candidate, and has 5 more seasons on his deal after this one. As long as it doesn't involve Lekkerimaki, Willander and maybe Brzustewicz. I am game.

Edit: The proposed trade includes Hoggy. I'd also take him off the table tbh. We lose 2 roster players for one. If it's a prospect in the system, who isn't one of the 3 I named, Kuzy and a 1st. I do it in a heartbeat though.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Mik's 6'3 and can skate, he's in good enough shape to log some minutes but he needs to find some edge. 

20 hits, 6 blocks, 9 take away's, 4pims. I'd like to see a lil more friction in his game.  

true... he won't grind anyone down with that... he has the size, but does he have the edge in his game?.... doesn't look like it.

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin had 14 goals in the NHL in his rookie season playing 12 minutes a night.  So yes we do have evidence that he is very talented.  He went into a sophomore slump, same as Hoglander.  They both had terrible sophomore seasons.  Hoglander also had to go back to the AHL for an entire season last year to get his game back.  Same as Podkolzon this year.  Podkolzin is technically on a better PPG pace this year in the AHL than Hoglander was last year.

Hoglander started the year in the NHL because he couldn't go back to the AHL unless he was put on waivers.  Podkolzin had one more year of waiver eligibility, so they sent him down right away, I don't even think Podkolzin played one pre-season game.

Hoglander was put into the top 6 at one point this year.  He got into Tocchet's doghouse and then got shuffled down to the 4th line where he has remained for several weeks now.  So, I don't think you are correct to say that Hoglander is only on the 4th line because we need a 2C.  Even Lafferty has been moved up to the top 6 recently over Hoglander.

Not sure why you bring up Michigan goals, nobody cares about those and just because you can do one doesn't mean you are more talented than someone else.  Would you trade for Trevor Zegras right now just because of his Michigan goals?

At the end of the day, Podkolzin was a top 10 pick, he's a power forward who plays hard and plays Rick Tocchet hockey.  He was sent down this year to Abby to improve his game and get more confidence.  If you actually watch Podkolzin play in Abby, he is usually the best player on the ice.

I never said he wasn’t talented. I said I disagree that he is more talented than Hoglander, full stop. They are different players.

The Michigan comment was tongue in cheek. And regardless of what you think, it requires talent to pull off, even if I don’t love the goal personally. And I think my thoughts on Zegras are clear from my posts.

Podkolzin is a big body who has yet to figure out how to play as a power forward in the NHL. I don’t think he has the creativity to try and flip the puck over the back of the net off the goalie and in. Hogs tried that this year.

Why did they bring up Karlsson over Podz if Podz has been so dominant in Abby? Clearly the player still has work to do. 

Hoglander is an NHLer. He controls the play on the fourth line most nights. Have you watched him play? He is absurdly strong, especially for his size, and is an incredible puck retriever.

Sure, he needs work on his first touches, as he can have cement hands sometimes, but has also has some flashes of brilliance. Look at the between the leg take to a five-hole goal from the other game. 

I just find it funny you can easily call Podkolzin more talented when he hasn’t even cracked the roster. 

Though I hope he does someday, cause I think Podkolzin could be an awesome power forward. Just like Hogs is wicked on the half-wall and has tons of creativity and offensive hockey IQ. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mikheyev tore his ACL last year, so he needed some time to get back into it this year.  I don't think he was 100% on game shape until last month.  He seems to be skating much better now than at the beginning of the year.  His timing looked off as well and he is just getting that back as well.  Plus Kuzmenko's confidence is shot so playing with Kuzmenko isn't helping Mikheyev get points right now.

If you put a 2C like Eriksson Ek with Mikheyev, you can have one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL.  They could even throw Miller or even Petey on LW to have a complete shutdown line.

Petey    Eriksson Ek   Lekkerimaki

D-Petey    Willander

We can also have an all Swedish line and a Swedish 5...

Yes, maybe it is just that... Hope so as it could be found gold should they find the melody again...

Thought he looked good with Petey, but then again everyone does...

I get ,what @Hammertime is concerned about... If Mika doesn't play to his size, the only real fight in the top six in Miler, and he might very well be targeted if he has to play all roles himself... We may need 1 more, who can play a heavy game.

Nice 5 block, but for now I'd settle for Kuz and Mik hitting the heights again 🙂

I don't see them getting Ek but.... You never know

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

true... he won't grind anyone down with that... he has the size, but does he have the edge in his game?.... doesn't look like it.

I don't think Mik or Kuzz need to drastically change their identity. If they were even just a bit stiffer to play against it would pay huge for them and the team. 

I don't think we would need to do much to this roster at the DL if we could just get those 2 more engaged. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

You’re gonna have to deal with it. Hogs is a young high producing 4th liner who catches the eye of other GMs, more so than prospects playing in the minors. No one is going to give us a good 2C for just picks and or prospects. 

Why do you say they won’t? 
It all depends on the team, salary structure, and direction intended by their executives. 
To say you can’t get a 2nd line F for a 1st round pick or more and top prospects is conjecture, especially when it depend WHO that 2nd line C is.

Not saying it would ever be offered by us, but you package Willander, Lekkerimaki and one of our 1sts and I’m sure you’ll have captured the attention of most GMs. That 3 consecutive 1st round picks. 
Like I said, all depends on whom you’re pursuing and whom our mgmt considers “good”.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I don't think Mik or Kuzz need to drastically change their identity. If they were even just a bit stiffer to play against it would pay huge for them and the team. 

I don't think we would need to do much to this roster at the DL if we could just get those 2 more engaged. 

Well that is just it... if they could get going again, we could be golden...

In saying that, I still think we need a player, who plays a heavy game to support Miller in that department.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Still dont think this will happen coz hes a core player for the Wild but....

If the Canucks are able to get EK it somewhat mitigates the situation if Petey actually wants out.  You would have to think that management is thinking of all scenarios.  They will still have 2 quality centers on the team.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I never said he wasn’t talented. I said I disagree that he is more talented than Hoglander, full stop. They are different players.

The Michigan comment was tongue in cheek. And regardless of what you think, it requires talent to pull off, even if I don’t love the goal personally. And I think my thoughts on Zegras are clear from my posts.

Podkolzin is a big body who has yet to figure out how to play as a power forward in the NHL. I don’t think he has the creativity to try and flip the puck over the back of the net off the goalie and in. Hogs tried that this year.

Why did they bring up Karlsson over Podz if Podz has been so dominant in Abby? Clearly the player still has work to do. 

Hoglander is an NHLer. He controls the play on the fourth line most nights. Have you watched him play? He is absurdly strong, especially for his size, and is an incredible puck retriever.

Sure, he needs work on his first touches, as he can have cement hands sometimes, but has also has some flashes of brilliance. Look at the between the leg take to a five-hole goal from the other game. 

I just find it funny you can easily call Podkolzin more talented when he hasn’t even cracked the roster. 

Though I hope he does someday, cause I think Podkolzin could be an awesome power forward. Just like Hogs is wicked on the half-wall and has tons of creativity and offensive hockey IQ. 

What you are saying about Podkolzin is the exact reason why I’d want to keep him over Höglander. Big power forwards take more time to develop. 

Not saying Höglander isn’t talented. He is. I obviously like Swedish players. And that’s why I really like Eriksson Ek. He’s one of my favourite Swedish players. 

If Minnesota wants Raty I’d probably give him up over Höglander. We will see what happens. 

• Like 1

Here is a list of current(?) team depth charts around the NHL and who are playing 2nd line C roles for their respective clubs. If this is what we’re pursuing, what is the perceived individual asking price, and more importantly, would they immediately slot in as 2nd line C or 3rd line C with our club? I guess my question is what caliber of C do we need and should we be moneyballing this in terms of who or w what we pursue? I think I like the idea of having added more real, experienced NHL depth as wealth by/at the TDL over investing into one higher profile player, unless it’s someone significant. We’re riding our core and our course has been consistent so we know what we can get from them. This team can score.

its just needs more grit, experience

to enhance durability, imho 

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1