Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

People are underrating E-Ek massively.  On a team like the Canucks, he will be exactly what they

need.  Great 2-way game, with good offensive upside, while playing on an offensively underwhelming

team, just turned 26yr on great contract ($5.25x5).  All this for a LW that isn't able to fit onto his team,

at least +25oa pick and Hogs, who doesn't seem to impress the coach (although he is likely the best

part of the package.

Great potential for becoming the forward version of Hronek.

Problem is, unless they're planning to tank, why would Minni move their top C?

Agreed...makes zero sense IMO.

I was going to suggest you could move Raty in the trade package (if they see value in him) as adding E-Ek makes him expendable IMO.

Still makes Minny weaker in the short term though. 

1 minute ago, N7_Gyoza said:

Based on our lack of cap room going forward WE will want guys on ELC's let's keep all 3 of these guys 

Ok thought but we still will have guys like willander and some of the ahl crew like podkolzin Making the team on low cost contracts moving forward.  As someone else highlighted Minny seems unlikely to trade their 1C so likely a moot point.

19 minutes ago, Dom said:

I'm pissed as FUCK if we give up Hoglander. 

Why. I'm a huge Hoglander fan too followed him since before he was drafted. Buuuuut if EK or Hartman become available and they want Hogs as part of the package you have to consider it. 

Ek I think would cost too much though Hog + Willander + McDonut minimum. 

I've seen this site before, and it always felt like another Eklund type of clickbait type of site to me. 

That being said, Ek would be a HUGE add for us. My only worry is the cost since it would likely be more than what we got for Horvat since Ek has term on his contract, has a reasonable cap hit, and is a few years younger. I'd also rather not give up Hoglander, but that could be the cost and more to save us from giving up one of our top prospects.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't see Minny moving their best centre, who is just entering his prime.  26 years old.  Even if they're rebuilding.

This wasn't even two guys living under a bridge saying they overheard someone from the Canucks walking by up on the bridge. This was basically 2 kids saying, "Hey...wouldn't it be cool if Minnesota would just do this trade, but I can't even make it work in NHL 23...."

The thread shouldn't be called rumour, this isn't even speculation as there is no way it's happening. This falls more under, fevered rantings.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Kuzy and our late (hopefully very very late) 1st is an unperpayment for E-Ek. Adding Hogs might flip it to over, but I'd do it for the monster C depth. 

I don't think some of these posters realize how good Ek is. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I appreciate that people like his game, but I don't think he's as good of a player to throw away two roster players to fill an incessant need for depth. Hoglander is doing pretty good as a player and yet he's basically a throw-in for this trade. Same with Kuzmenko (who obviously seems like the odd player out)

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

2 things. Minny wouldn't trade him for that package, and I'm shocked with the response from people here that Hoglander is the deal breaker in this trade?

I like Hoglander as much as the next guy, but Joel is only a few years older and is currently one of the best 2 way centers in the league. Dude value is far more then a late first, a middle 6 winger at his peak (currently a 4th line) and a struggling winger who's having a hard time staying in the lineup this year.

If we somehow managed to steal JEE for that package it would be an robbery. Adding him to our 2nd line, imo makes an instant contender, maybe cup favorite.

Kuzmenko doesn't even get Ek 1-1, people talk about his value as if he's the player he was last season, he isn't. This year's first is middling at best, ideally later. Hoglander would smart to part with, but his being the deal breaker is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Ek is a 2C locked in on a very palatable contract, he's a very good two way player, if he were available there are teams who'd beat such a Canucks package. Teams aren't getting Ek for peanuts, and I don't even believe he's available. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's my take away as well. This seems like a classic case of a Canucks centered veiw. Which is expected on a Canucks fan forum. But this trade would be an absolute homerun. Trading for a young top 6 center with an elite 2 way game, locked up at a cost efficient contract would be an unreal add. If we got him for the trade proposed in op, would be absolute highway robbery.

• Like 1

Eriksson ek is the move to make. Cost controlled for 6 years, that gives this core, once Peteys deal is done, several years of contending. The overlapping years is what we need as the cap increases to build deeper and deeper. 

If we are making trades to add depth you don’t deal out your current equitable depth to acquire it, unless it’s a significant improvement. 

JEE might be an improvement in many ways but come playoffs 2 or 3 3/4 line depth pieces sometimes become your bread and butter in many capacities, and I just can’t see us dealing out that much currently contributing NHL level talent unless there are other methods to acquire such players (and without F’ing up team chem).

If we’re making a big splash, our picks and prospects and one overpriced contract are likely all we are going to deal out. Depending on how the playoffs turn out, I might be way off but I think any volume NHL assets won’t be moved until offseason and autopsy/assessment completed post mortem of entire past season. 

Edited by RWJC

Eriksson Ek is a dream player, and likely out of the Canucks reach.

I saw a list of possible other Cs the Canuck could target (from Yardbarker):

Lindholm (CGY) - unlikely IMO

Monahan (MTL)

Frost (PHI)

Zegras (ANA) - unlikely IMO

Henrique (ANA)

Pinto (OTT)

Granlund (SJ)

Even thought the Canucks are having one of the their best seasons in years we can't trade away 1st and 2nd draft choices.  We spent too many years with the cupboard bare and always seemed to trade away our best picks in desperation for salvaging a season.  Play it smart.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If he's available, you gotta make a move for him. He's exactly the kind of player the team is lacking right now. It would take some prospects/picks with a cap dump winger, and the trade suggested isn't even yet a realistic one. I think starting with a Kuzmenko type, and a first makes sense, but we would have to include more than just Hoglander.

I don't know that Ek is even available at the moment. Just seems like he's a good player on a bad team, with the deadline approaching. So people are just throwing shit out there. The Wild are in no mans land though, and will have to make a decision in what direction to take their team. They'll probably have to be open to selling, but they have all the leverage to not just dump players, especially not someone of his Ek's caliber.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Add in his cap hit for the next 5 seasons. This is the fuckin move to make this is the type of all in move that gives us 5-6 solid years of contending.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Looks like he is being undervalued by some.

As a gauge would it be fair to say that his is roughly a Horvat calibre player?  Probably a little more physical than Bo, probably better defensively, but Bo might have the edge on face offs and goal scoring.

• Cheers 3

JEEK is a sick player. Would be an amazing add to our team.

I'd hope we could try and work something like Raty instead of Hoglander, as I think Hoglander is really important for our team (especially if we're including Kuzmenko in a trade).

Don't know if that would be enough for Minny. They've got so much dead cap coming off in two years. I wonder how they're going to push for the next couple years. They're in a tough spot as a franchise. Some great players but brutally handcuffed by the dead cap of Parise and Suter.

Zucc is still a stud, but can he continue to perform like that at 38 when they have the cap to fill out the lineup? 

Regardless, JEEk is a perfect contract and player for them. Young, affordable, and talented. I really doubt they move him. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

If he's available, you gotta make a move for him. He's exactly the kind of player the team is lacking right now. It would take some prospects/picks with a cap dump winger, and the trade suggested isn't even yet a realistic one. I think starting with a Kuzmenko type, and a first makes sense, but we would have to include more than just Hoglander.

I don't know that Ek is even available at the moment. Just seems like he's a good player on a bad team, with the deadline approaching. So people are just throwing shit out there. The Wild are in no mans land though, and will have to make a decision in what direction to take their team. They'll probably have to be open to selling, but they have all the leverage to not just dump players, especially not someone of his Ek's caliber.

Wild just need to ride it out tbh, next season is their last season of having almost 15M worth of dead cap. After next season their cap penalty drops from 14,743,588 to 1,666,666, factor in cap increases and they'll have the flexibility to try and be better sooner than later. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

I appreciate that people like his game, but I don't think he's as good of a player to throw away two roster players to fill an incessant need for depth. Hoglander is doing pretty good as a player and yet he's basically a throw-in for this trade. Same with Kuzmenko (who obviously seems like the odd player out)

Gotta pay to play.  Ek is locked in long term on a $5.25 AAV.  He is 6'1" 210lbs, extremely good defensively, and this year is on pace for over 30 goals and 60 points.  Absolutely tremendous value.  Probably one of the best value contracts in the entire league.

Not sure why you think Hoglander would be a throw-in here?  He would absolutely be necessary to get a deal done as Kuzmenko isn't worth nearly enough to land a centre of this calibre with just a very late 1st round pick.  Hoglander has the value required to get a deal like this to make sense for Minny.

• Upvote 1