Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

13 minutes ago, Darius said:

Looks like he is being undervalued by some.

As a gauge would it be fair to say that his is roughly a Horvat calibre player?  Probably a little more physical than Bo, probably better defensively, but Bo might have the edge on face offs and goal scoring.

Better defensively by far.  More physical as well.  Bo only has an edge on faceoffs.  Even goal scoring is questionable as Ek is on pace for 34 goals this year.

Add in a $5.25M cap hit for the long term and Ek is definitely worth more than Bo.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

I'm pissed as FUCK if we give up Hoglander. 

You’re gonna have to deal with it. Hogs is a young high producing 4th liner who catches the eye of other GMs, more so than prospects playing in the minors. No one is going to give us a good 2C for just picks and or prospects. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Better defensively by far.  More physical as well.  Bo only has an edge on faceoffs.  Even goal scoring is questionable as Ek is on pace for 34 goals this year.

Add in a $5.25M cap hit for the long term and Ek is definitely worth more than Bo.

I agree, was just thinking of putting it out there in case im not valuing the guy properly.  its like getting a better version of Bo for cheaper!

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I agree, was just thinking of putting it out there in case im not valuing the guy properly.  its like getting a better version of Bo for cheaper!

Yup, gives people here an idea of how much this guy is worth.  I think it'd be a massive payment to acquire him.  Think something like Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st.

So in other words, very unlikely to happen.  Minny can carry on with him in the lineup and be mighty happy about it I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and a 1st is a massive overpayment for Eriksson Ek. Kuzmenko alone should get it done, with maybe a 2nd round pick. 

Hoglander is a great player, who's worth far more to the Canucks as a player on the roster, than as an add in on a trade.

Trading to two roster players and the 2024 1st rounder should be for a top 4 RHD or a first line forward, not for a 2C. 

Keep in mind Kuz value is low right now. He's a 5 mil player playing like a 1 mil player. And our first will almost be like a second. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Why. I'm a huge Hoglander fan too followed him since before he was drafted. Buuuuut if EK or Hartman become available and they want Hogs as part of the package you have to consider it. 

Ek I think would cost too much though Hog + Willander + McDonut minimum. 

would be disappointed if Willander is traded as part of a package... Lekki and Tom should be untouchables... they have to be fill ins once OELs cap hell hits.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, gives people here an idea of how much this guy is worth.  I think it'd be a massive payment to acquire him.  Think something like Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st.

So in other words, very unlikely to happen.  Minny can carry on with him in the lineup and be mighty happy about it I'm sure.

Good points.  It would have to match the Horvat trade at least you would think - more when you consider the cheaper longer term contract and the age of the guy.

Dont see Minny moving him unless they go into full rebuild mode - even then he is young enough to build around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Kuzy and our late (hopefully very very late) 1st is an unperpayment for E-Ek. Adding Hogs might flip it to over, but I'd do it for the monster C depth. 

This. Suggesting Kuzmenko and a 1st is an overpayment for JEE just shows people don't know much about the player at all. There's a reason Guerin has said he's about as irreplaceable as it gets. 

Edit: I'd also like to see this from a more legit source as this one just seems to be posting trade proposals and passing them off as rumours. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Kuzmenko straight up for Eriksson-Ek?  Haha, that's funny.  Dude is literally one of the best two way forwards in the NHL and is on pace for 30+ goals.  

This trade makes sense for both teams actually.  Minnesota isn't making the playoffs this year, so they will most likely be looking to rebuild.  They also need to make Kaprizov happy so they bring in Kuzmenko so they play together.  They also get Hoglander on a cheap contract and also get a 1st round pick.  The expiry of Kuzmenko's contract also aligns with Minnesota's dead cap coming off the books, well at least the majority of it.  So, they should be able to re-sign him to a long term deal.  Also, Marco Rossi is playing well this year and playing between the two Russians he could become their 1C.

As for Vancouver, we get our 2C at a great contract for 5 more years and a great two way forward to ease the burden off Miller to be our shutdown centre.  It also allows Petey to stay on the Lotto Line for now.  Eriksson-Ek can also play LW, so there is the potential to mix and match and have Petey play with Eriksson-Ek.  When Lekkerimaki comes in we can have an all Swedish line too.  

I like Hoglander, but he is literally a 4th liner right now, so not sure how some people can say he is the deal breaker in the deal.  We have Podkolzin coming up who is bigger and more talented than Hoglander who will replace him.

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.  Minnesota might be the one that says no...

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

would be disappointed if Willander is traded as part of a package... Lekki and Tom should be untouchables... they have to be fill ins once OELs cap hell hits.

Absolutely. 

Though I worry about Millers durability in the playoffs. Teams will target him and wear him down as our team would be neutered without him. We need another physical presence in the middle 6. Dakota's a start but he's kinda playing over his head right now which is great. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and a 1st is a massive overpayment for Eriksson Ek. Kuzmenko alone should get it done, with maybe a 2nd round pick. 

Hoglander is a great player, who's worth far more to the Canucks as a player on the roster, than as an add in on a trade.

Trading to two roster players and the 2024 1st rounder should be for a top 4 RHD or a first line forward, not for a 2C. 

Are you out of your mind? Eriksson Ek is a Selke tier player. I'd be banging down the door to get him.

52 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

You’re gonna have to deal with it. Hogs is a young high producing 4th liner who catches the eye of other GMs, more so than prospects playing in the minors. No one is going to give us a good 2C for just picks and or prospects. 

In Minni's case  with 1 more year left on those buyouts...... I think they might.   

Absolutely love JEE, and he would be a massive piece to insert into this existing group.

He really shouldn't be available, but a package of Kuzmenko + Hoglander + 2024 1st would be worth listening to for MIN. 
It's a lot on our end, and I really don't want to give up on Hoggy... but JEE is a borderline Selke-tier player with a great contract that moves the needle for us in a big way.

That said, this is definitely not a legitimate rumour.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

is that an overpayment though?

A solid 2-Way C who is young, on a solid contract has size and some bite.

IF I was them I wouldn't accept that trade. They already have lots of wingers.

They need EK I would love to get him, even Hartman would be interesting. Not as high end. But would be good C depth especially in playoffs to add him.

And when you consider EKs scoring numbers he would probably produce more on our team being we are a better, higher scoring team.

I like EK a lot and I would be willing to trade for him, I just dont see what kinda package Minny would accept and why.

I think it would have to be more like: Kuzmenko, Raty, 1st 

they probably need a C coming back. But I still don't know why they would do it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Absolutely. 

Though I worry about Millers durability in the playoffs. Teams will target him and wear him down as our team would be neutered without him. We need another physical presence in the middle 6. Dakota's a start but he's kinda playing over his head right now which is great. 

Agree... this is a very good point. He can't do all the heavy lifting alone...

If they can't get a tough 2C, at least get a big body that can play top 6...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Kuzmenko + 1st + Aatu Raty or Bains

If we can get it done for similar package to that I'd jump on it.. Ek is a good sized C, plays the game the right way and  signed longterm to a pretty good contract, 6 yrs @ $5.25 mill per year.. 

Perfect 2C for us. 6'1 210lbs. Puts up descent amount of points.  

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

is that an overpayment though?

A solid 2-Way C who is young, on a solid contract has size and some bite.

IF I was them I wouldn't accept that trade. They already have lots of wingers.

They need EK I would love to get him, even Hartman would be interesting. Not as high end. But would be good C depth especially in playoffs to add him.

And when you consider EKs scoring numbers he would probably produce more on our team being we are a better, higher scoring team.

I like EK a lot and I would be willing to trade for him, I just dont see what kinda package Minny would accept and why.

I think it would have to be more like: Kuzmenko, Raty, 1st 

they probably need a C coming back. But I still don't know why they would do it

I'd be ok with that... don't touch Tom and Lekkerimaki... other than that no issues.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1