Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

Eriksson Ek would be a great get, I feel he is the type of player that is constantly under rated, doesn't get media attention due to style and market and is at a manageable cap for years for filling a second line c role. 

No way we trade those three assets for him though. We trade Hoglander and Kuzmenko and we have lost a lot of our skill on the wings. Who would supplement OEE on the second line? We are keeping Garland with Joshua and Bluegar, so unless Suter plays his wing with Mikeyhav we don't have anyone good enough for it and still have a hole in our top 6. 

I also really like Hoglander, especially what he is doing this year with limited minutes. He should have a pretty high value. 

We can only really afford to trade one player off our forward group to not open other holes. We either need a skilled winger to play beside Suter on second line and then a better 4th line C option than Aman... or we need a 2C that can play with Hoglander/Mikeyhav/Kuzmenko.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

A little over 5mil and has term left. 60 point 2nd line center with a very good two way game and is only 26 years old. Like, this is a great idea for a pickup. Was 4th, 7th and 9th in Selke voting the last 3 seasons. Of all the rumoured names, this one might be the most intriguing cause he's not expiring and is not expensive. But he's been a consistent 20-25 goal scorer for what will be 3 years when he hits that mark this season. I am a lot more comfortable giving up a 1st and a prospect when the guy we're acquiring is 26, is a perennial Selke candidate, and has 5 more seasons on his deal after this one. As long as it doesn't involve Lekkerimaki, Willander and maybe Brzustewicz. I am game.

Edit: The proposed trade includes Hoggy. I'd also take him off the table tbh. We lose 2 roster players for one. If it's a prospect in the system, who isn't one of the 3 I named, Kuzy and a 1st. I do it in a heartbeat though.

I'd argue Ek is probably the most expensive of all the names I've seen rumoured on here. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue Ek is probably the most expensive of all the names I've seen rumoured on here. 

I meant expensive in cap. But in trade, definitely likely the most costly. 5 years after this one left, on a very friendly deal, and is like I said a Selke candidate pretty much every year the last 3 years and likely this year. Losing Hogs would suck, but I would probably bite my teeth and do it. I am hoping management can keep Hogs and let em take another prospect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

I don't think some of these posters realize how good Ek is. 

If he would have “ Ek” only on the back of sweater name-bar then fine but like I eluded to earlier no way do we bring an “Eriksson” back I have finally gotten over the nightmares 🤪

IMG_1330.jpeg

• Haha 2

When I look at Eriksson Ek's contract, which is on the low side, and his contribution which is very high, I don't see why Minnesota would trade their no. 1 center and the only center who is close to a no. 1?  He is big, plays a 200 ft game, scores, is 26, and is at a very good salary for 5 more years?  What am I missing?  Why is this even a rumour?

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Here is a list of current(?) team depth charts around the NHL and who are playing 2nd line C roles for their respective clubs. If this is what we’re pursuing, what is the perceived individual asking price, and more importantly, would they immediately slot in as 2nd line C or 3rd line C with our club? I guess my question is what caliber of C do we need and should we be moneyballing this in terms of who or w what we pursue? I think I like the idea of having added more real, experienced NHL depth as wealth by/at the TDL over investing into one higher profile player, unless it’s someone significant. We’re riding our core and our course has been consistent so we know what we can get from them. This team can score.

its just needs more grit, experience

to enhance durability, imho 

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts

I'm still going with Thomas Novak.

33GP, 20PTS (14 of which are EV)

Corsi%: 1st on NAS

Fenwick: 2nd on NAS

xGF%:  2nd on NAS

Cap Hit for 2023-24:  $800k

Cost:  Likely nothing off the current roster = minimal chemistry disruption.  We can add him and just move Suter down to 4C.  Everything else remains intact.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Ek is an unbelievable 2C. I would do almost anything to get him. Allows the lotto line to stay together and provides great secondary scoring and a playoff-style game to compliment Mikheyev.

Would we be ok parting with Podkolzin? If they like Kuzmenko as well, I could see a package like Kuz, Podz/Raty, and a 2nd to get this type of deal done.

Hoglander or Suter would probably be next up for that 2nd line wing slot. Or we make another trade a la Guentzel?

Edited by Jim Tim
  • Cheers 2

EK is an incredible player on a great contract which is why the Wild would not want to trade him. A team with no centre depth isn't going to trade their Selke level 1st line centre unless they are getting a quality centre back (Ex: Pettersson). The 1st + Kuzmenko + Hoglander isn't going to do it. I don't think they'd do it even if you threw Raty to the package. 

I suspect there's a possibility for a trade with Pettersson offseason if contract negotiations are not looking good. 

2 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

EK is an incredible player on a great contract which is why the Wild would not want to trade him. A team with no centre depth isn't going to trade their Selke level 1st line centre unless they are getting a quality centre back (Ex: Pettersson). The 1st + Kuzmenko + Hoglander isn't going to do it. I don't think they'd do it even if you threw Raty to the package. 

I suspect there's a possibility for a trade with Pettersson offseason if contract negotiations are not looking good. 

Eriksson-Ek + Jonas Brodin for Petey

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm still going with Thomas Novak.

33GP, 20PTS (14 of which are EV)

Corsi%: 1st on NAS

Fenwick: 2nd on NAS

xGF%:  2nd on NAS

Cap Hit for 2023-24:  $800k

Cost:  Likely nothing off the current roster = minimal chemistry disruption.  We can add him and just move Suter down to 4C.  Everything else remains intact.

Outside of NSH holding down a wildcard spot and still being very much in the thick of the playoff race, Novak could be a nice lower profile target for a middle 6 forward. He might become expendable if Cody Glass can solidify a roster spot, but my guess is NSH would hang on to their players if they're still right in the thick of the race (unless they're improving their roster).

Sticking with MIN, I wonder if the Canucks could have interest in players like Hartman or Gaudreau.

Hartman was a thorn in the Canucks side when he played with CHI but is a versatile middle 6 forward that has grown his game since entering the league primarily as a pest. He just signed an extension and will be much more expensive for 3 seasons after this one, but I think he could be a solid add.

Gaudreau could be a dud but he has found success as a middle 6 forward with MIN and isn't terribly expensive ($2.1M AAV) while also having term remaining.  His scoring is down this season, but if he can get back to his production from the last 2 seasons, then it might be worth a shot. The term makes this a somewhat risky gamble though. Not sure how noteworthy this is, but Gaudreau was a Penguin for one season (2020-2021).

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Outside of NSH holding down a wildcard spot and still being very much in the thick of the playoff race, Novak could be a nice lower profile target for a middle 6 forward. He might become expendable if Cody Glass can solidify a roster spot, but my guess is NSH would hang on to their players if they're still right in the thick of the race (unless they're improving their roster).

Sticking with MIN, I wonder if the Canucks could have interest in players like Hartman or Gaudreau.

Hartman was a thorn in the Canucks side when he played with CHI but is a versatile middle 6 forward that has grown his game since entering the league primarily as a pest. He just signed an extension and will be much more expensive for 3 seasons after this one, but I think he could be a solid add.

Gaudreau could be a dud but he has found success as a middle 6 forward with MIN and isn't terribly expensive ($2.1M AAV) while also having term remaining.  His scoring is down this season, but if he can get back to his production from the last 2 seasons, then it might be worth a shot. The term makes this a somewhat risky gamble though. Not sure how noteworthy this is, but Gaudreau was a Penguin for one season (2020-2021).

Hartman is a total POS, hard pass

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jim Tim said:

Underpay, Petey would command several first round picks or equivalent

IMO, Eriksson-Ek is worth about Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, 1st

Brodin is a top pairing LHD, which is generally worth a solid roster player, a good prospect, and a 1st.  Think Mikheyev, DPetey, 1st

So Petey is worth more than Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, DPetey, and two 1sts?  lol

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Ek is an unbelievable 2C. I would do almost anything to get him. Allows the lotto line to stay together and provides great secondary scoring and a playoff-style game to compliment Mikheyev.

Would we be ok parting with Podkolzin? If they like Kuzmenko as well, I could see a package like Kuz, Podz/Raty, and a 2nd to get this type of deal done.

Hoglander or Suter would probably be next up for that 2nd line wing slot. Or we make another trade a la Guentzel?

I think I would be. We have an opportunity to crack our window open for a few years now starting this year. So again without moving Lekkerimaki or Willander, I say go for it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DixonWard said:

When I look at Eriksson Ek's contract, which is on the low side, and his contribution which is very high, I don't see why Minnesota would trade their no. 1 center and the only center who is close to a no. 1?  He is big, plays a 200 ft game, scores, is 26, and is at a very good salary for 5 more years?  What am I missing?  Why is this even a rumour?

Because we should be a playoff team this year and the Canucks fanbase is a little overzealous and loves to speculate 

We'll see it more leading up the the deadline, those seeking clicks will just mention the Canucks because if it's out there we've proven that we'll find it

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

Eriksson Ek would be a great get, I feel he is the type of player that is constantly under rated, doesn't get media attention due to style and market and is at a manageable cap for years for filling a second line c role. 

No way we trade those three assets for him though. We trade Hoglander and Kuzmenko and we have lost a lot of our skill on the wings. Who would supplement OEE on the second line? We are keeping Garland with Joshua and Bluegar, so unless Suter plays his wing with Mikeyhav we don't have anyone good enough for it and still have a hole in our top 6. 

I also really like Hoglander, especially what he is doing this year with limited minutes. He should have a pretty high value. 

We can only really afford to trade one player off our forward group to not open other holes. We either need a skilled winger to play beside Suter on second line and then a better 4th line C option than Aman... or we need a 2C that can play with Hoglander/Mikeyhav/Kuzmenko.

Great post. 

Yes 26 year old 2 way C signed $5.25 mill 5 more years.. he'd be a great add. Perfect 2C for our club.

I don't see why Minny would move him. Maybe they will want to get younger and shed cap with $15 million dead cap next 2 years from Suter and Parise contracts. 

I also don't want to give away Hogz. We're going to need him moving forward with some UFAs leaving due to cap constraints. Need good young players on cheap contracts moving forward. 

Both Kuz and Hogz leaving creates a problem at wing. I'd love it if Kuz + 1st + Raty/Bains package can get it done. 

EK is only 26. He won't come cheap. That's the problem. We're going to have to give up a solid piece to get him.  Might be difficult without adding Hogz. 

Edited by WHL rocks

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

IMO, Eriksson-Ek is worth about Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, 1st

Brodin is a top pairing LHD, which is generally worth a solid roster player, a good prospect, and a 1st.  Think Mikheyev, DPetey, 1st

So Petey is worth more than Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, DPetey, and two 1sts?  lol

Nobody is trading Kuzmenko, Höglander, a 1st AND Lekkerimäki for Eriksson Ek. That’s an overpayment. Also, Brodin is 30 years old and wouldn’t be on our top pairing. He’d be a 2nd pairing guy on Vancouver. 

If we are trading Petey we need a star prospect back plus some picks and a roster player.  Think Leo Carlsson, David Jiricek, Adam Fantilli as your star prospect. Then add two firsts plus a roster player. 

Petey is a borderline generational talent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is trading Kuzmenko, Höglander, a 1st AND Lekkerimäki for Eriksson Ek. That’s an overpayment. Also, Brodin is 30 years old and wouldn’t be on our top pairing. He’d be a 2nd pairing guy on Vancouver. 

If we are trading Petey we need a star prospect back plus some picks and a roster player.  Think Leo Carlsson, David Jiricek, Adam Fantilli as your star prospect. Then add two firsts plus a roster player. 

Get back to work Petey. We all know you are great. 😂

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not saying that we would trade all that for EK, I'm just saying given what EK provides for a measly $5.25M (that's $300k more than Garland), if he were traded, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a team offered a package that resembled a Kuz, Hog, Lek, and 1st. 

Brodin isn't in our top pairing, but he wouldn't look out of place on many other team's top pair.  Just cuz he's not good enough to supplant arguably the best defenceman in the NHL this season doesn't mean he's not top pairing material.  A middle 6 (Mik), B+ prospect (DPetey), and a low 1st is a fair package for a player of that ilk.

Petey won't get any star prospect back because those teams are generally bottom tier teams, and they know that there is a very good chance that Petey wouldn't want to re-sign with them. 

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying that we would trade all that for EK, I'm just saying given what EK provides for a measly $5.25M (that's $300k more than Garland), if he were traded, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a team offered a package that resembled a Kuz, Hog, Lek, and 1st. 

Brodin isn't in our top pairing, but he wouldn't look out of place on many other team's top pair.  Just cuz he's not good enough to supplant arguably the best defenceman in the NHL this season doesn't mean he's not top pairing material.  A middle 6 (Mik), B+ prospect (DPetey), and a low 1st is a fair package for a player of that ilk.

Petey won't get any star prospect back because those teams are generally bottom tier teams, and they know that there is a very good chance that Petey wouldn't want to re-sign with them. 

Well we don’t know what exactly Petey wants. He said he wants to play for a contender and win a cup. Vancouver is a contender and can certainly win the cup. So why hasn’t he re-signed here yet?  

Maybe it’s because he wants the bag. There are lots of teams that can afford to pay him the bag. I’m sure Petey would love to collect the bag plus play in sunny California. 

Leo Carlsson, two first round picks and Adam Henrique for Petey. Anaheim has their star player to sell tickets. And we get a future star Swedish player plus some more picks to trade for other assets. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1