Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

4 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Absolutely. 

Though I worry about Millers durability in the playoffs. Teams will target him and wear him down as our team would be neutered without him. We need another physical presence in the middle 6. Dakota's a start but he's kinda playing over his head right now which is great. 

Are you serious? I think it's the other way around. Other teams should be worried. 

Miller's a wrecking ball. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we don’t know what exactly Petey wants. He said he wants to play for a contender and win a cup. Vancouver is a contender and can certainly win the cup. So why hasn’t he re-signed here yet?  

Maybe it’s because he wants the bag. There are lots of teams that can afford to pay him the bag. I’m sure Petey would love to collect the bag plus play in sunny California. 

Leo Carlsson, two first round picks and Adam Henrique for Petey. Anaheim has their star player to sell tickets. And we get a future star Swedish player plus some more picks to trade for other assets. 

I'd do it, not sure if Anaheim would for the reason I mentioned above.  A lot of risk for Anaheim to trade a guy like Carlsson for when they don't know if they can even re-sign Petey.  Maybe if Anaheim is given permission to negotiate an extension, but that'll never happen under PA/JR's watch.

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we don’t know what exactly Petey wants. He said he wants to play for a contender and win a cup. Vancouver is a contender and can certainly win the cup. So why hasn’t he re-signed here yet?  

Maybe it’s because he wants the bag. There are lots of teams that can afford to pay him the bag. I’m sure Petey would love to collect the bag plus play in sunny California. 

Leo Carlsson, two first round picks and Adam Henrique for Petey. Anaheim has their star player to sell tickets. And we get a future star Swedish player plus some more picks to trade for other assets. 

Leo,and Mason McTavish maybe but no hard no to henrique quit selling yourself short there petey!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'd be ok with that... don't touch Tom and Lekkerimaki... other than that no issues.

I'm more than okay with acquiring him, he'd be an excellent addition.

But at what cost?

Here's two of our best, most recent trades:

1. Miller for a conditional 1st, a 3rd, and a third or fourth string goalie. (Tampa needed to clear cap space)

2. Hronek for a 1st and a 2nd. (Not sure what Stevie Y was thinking) 

Minny, more than likely doesn't want to move on. Why should they? It would have to be a huge overpayment. 

Plus, Canuck management aren't dummies and aren't desperate. 

If Allvin can pull off a trade similar to either of those two, I'm all in. 

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do it, not sure if Anaheim would for the reason I mentioned above.  A lot of risk for Anaheim to trade a guy like Carlsson for when they don't know if they can even re-sign Petey.  Maybe if Anaheim is given permission to negotiate an extension, but that'll never happen under PA/JR's watch.

It would be similar to Tkachuk. If Petey refuses to sign an extension in the summer then Allvin would need to give teams permission to talk to Pat Brisson and negotiate an extension. 

Carlsson immediately becomes our 2C. Henrique would be a UFA so we could ask for someone else. Those two first round picks we could use to acquire a top 4 RHD and another top 6 forward. 

It would suck to trade Petey but honestly if we could get Leo Carlsson+ in return it wouldn’t be too bad. We could easily use the assets to get even better really. 

And we would still have an Elias Pettersson on the team so I could still keep my username.  ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

It would be similar to Tkachuk. If Petey refuses to sign an extension in the summer then Allvin would need to give teams permission to talk to Pat Brisson and negotiate an extension. 

Carlsson immediately becomes our 2C. Henrique would be a UFA so we could ask for someone else. Those two first round picks we could use to acquire a top 4 RHD and another top 6 forward. 

It would suck to trade Petey but honestly if we could get Leo Carlsson+ in return it wouldn’t be too bad. We could easily use the assets to get even better really. 

And we would still have an Elias Pettersson on the team so I could still keep my username.  ☺️

Except Petey would be Tkachuk, which means we'd get a Huberdeau, Weegar, and a 1st.... <gulp>

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

IMO, Eriksson-Ek is worth about Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, 1st

Brodin is a top pairing LHD, which is generally worth a solid roster player, a good prospect, and a 1st.  Think Mikheyev, DPetey, 1st

So Petey is worth more than Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, DPetey, and two 1sts?  lol

You think Eriksson-Ek is worth 2 top-6 forwards, a top prospect that just won MVP at the world juniors, AND a first? Lay off the weeeeeeeed.

Pettersson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eriksson Ek.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I think I would be. We have an opportunity to crack our window open for a few years now starting this year. So again without moving Lekkerimaki or Willander, I say go for it. 

I would agree. Doesn't look like he'll become more than a complimentary middle-six piece at this point - which is still valuable don't get me wrong, especially for playoffs, but if management has determined that our competitive window is now, he would make a great trade piece.

Just now, Jim Tim said:

I don't see management risking the locker room chemistry by giving up assets for a very mid player with character issues.

Fair point. There is definitely solid chemistry within the team that wasn’t present seasons past. I agree that it has to be taken into consideration when looking at viable targets. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Are you serious? I think it's the other way around. Other teams should be worried. 

Miller's a wrecking ball. 

For sure! But 1 guy can't shoulder that burden alone we have him for 8 years. We are going to put a lot of miles on him this playoffs if we don't get him some help he will eventually wear out. We need a wrecking crew not just a wrecking ball. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who would cost more in a trade?

Ek?

Or Lindholm?

I'd say Ek cause Ek isn't a UFA at the end of this year. I don't think management would go for Lindholm cause he is a UFA + is expecting to cash in next year.

Another option I'm curious about would be Dylan Strome. While important to the team, I think the importance of Ek to Minnesota is grater than Dylan Strome is to the Capitals. I also don't regularly watch the Capitals, so I could be wrong on that point.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

You think Eriksson-Ek is worth 2 top-6 forwards, a top prospect that just won MVP at the world juniors, AND a first? Lay off the weeeeeeeed.

You need to understand value per cap hit.  Why do you think guys like Hagel and Jeannot got traded for what they did?  

At 5.25M, Ek is on pace for 60ish points and 34 goals.  He's also a big defensive centreman that plays with an edge.  In the right environment I bet he could be up in the 75 to 80 point range.  All for $5.25M.  He is worth WAY more than you think.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Yes…. Any other questions?

Just to nitpick… Hoglander is a 4th liner right now, and Kuzmemko is a press box regular and also often in the bottom six.  Not all first rounders are equal.  A pick in the 20s historically doesn’t have much more of a chance of becoming a significant NHLer than a mid 2nd round pick.

Minnesota is trading a sure things, and what will be one of the most efficient contracts around for upside.  They probably say no even for that package and they would need to replace him.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who would cost more in a trade?

Ek?

Or Lindholm?

That's a fair question, not sure. Here's one for you. We trade for Lindholm and he's like a back up plan if it looks like no EP extension is possible. EP>Lindholm, but if EP doesn't want to sign an extension beyond next season they get Lindholm extended, trade EP.

• Cheers 1

So, this is how our forwards could be constructed in a JEE trade:

In the first scenario the Lotto Line stays intact:

Pettersson    Miller             Boeser

Mikheyev      Eriksson Ek   Lekkerimaki

Joshua          Suter             Garland

Podkolzin      Raty              Lafferty

This assumes that Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin and Raty are all on the team next year and we can't afford to re-sign Blueger.  I would pick Joshua over Blueger if I had the choice in terms of who to re-sign.  With 3 ELC contracts up front we should be able to afford to re-sign Joshua.

In the second scenario, the Lotto Line is broken up:

Mikheyev       Miller             Boeser

Eriksson Ek    Pettersson   Lekkerimaki

same

same

Both Petey and Eriksson Ek can play wing, so that is why I'm not worried about trading wingers.  Centres can always switch to the wing, but wingers can rarely play centre, so it's better to have more centres not less.

If we need to send out a true shutdown line we can throw these guys out at the same time:

Eriksson EK    Miller    Mikheyev

All in all, Eriksson Ek can be used in various situations, not to mention the fact that he would help our penalty kill tremendously.  He would be a great playoff performer and Tocchet would love him.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

You need to understand value per cap hit.  Why do you think guys like Hagel and Jeannot got traded for what they did?  

At 5.25M, Ek is on pace for 60ish points and 34 goals.  He's also a big defensive centreman that plays with an edge.  In the right environment I bet he could be up in the 75 to 80 point range.  All for $5.25M.  He is worth WAY more than you think.

We would have to include cap back which is the only reason they would trade him at all. I don't think there's a trade possibility there unless their taking Myers. He's really our only high money coming off the books next year. 

Myers has been playing well. So we just poke another hole at RHD and have to shell out to dump Myers as well as acquire Ek. Hell. No! 

Hartman is the guy we need/want we don't have to send significant cap back we can make a hockey trade for Hartman. Ek doesn't make sense.

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

We would have to include cap back which is the only reason they would trade him at all. I don't think there's a trade possibility there unless their taking Myers. He's really our only high money coming off the books next year. 

Myers has been playing well. So we just poke another hole at RHD and have to shell out to dump Myers as well as acquire Ek. Hell. No! 

Hartman is the guy we need/want we don't have to send significant cap back we can make a hockey trade for Hartman. Ek doesn't make sense.

Kuzmenko 

No chance MIN trades a 2c powerhouse on an amazing contract for Kuzmenko and a 1st. Canucks would have to move Kuz elsewhere and use those assets to try and get JEE. I dont think people realize how good JEE is, how valuable his contract is and the favt he is just hitting his prime years. 

Kuzmenko to WAS

2nd & 3rd to VAN 

1st, 2nd or Brustewicz, 3rd and Podkolzin to MIN

JEE and Cap dump to VAN 

I would be very hesitant to move Hoglander unless it was for a young top 4 RHD with term. Hoglander would also not be the main piece in a trade like this. 

Edited by Mc1laren
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Agreed but less than your proposal in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yes…. Any other questions?

Just to nitpick… Hoglander is a 4th liner right now, and Kuzmemko is a press box regular and also often in the bottom six.  Not all first rounders are equal.  A pick in the 20s historically doesn’t have much more of a chance of becoming a significant NHLer than a mid 2nd round pick.

Minnesota is trading a sure things, and what will be one of the most efficient contracts around for upside.  They probably say no even for that package and they would need to replace him.

Kuzmenko isn't worth nothing... he had 39 goals last year and could flourish in a different system, who knows. He's currently playing PP1 and L2, that's worth something. Hog is more than capable of playing in the top 6, it's just that Kuzmenko isn't good in the bottom six, so that's where it leaves Hog. Hog is off the market anyways, he's not being included in any trades per Dhaliwal.

I'm fine parting with the first round pick this year, but giving up on Lek who could easily be as good as JEE in a few years would be foolish. We have plenty of B+ prospects we could part with instead like Brz, EP2, Raty.

If you're going to package a 39 goal guy, a flourishing middle/top 6 winger, a first round pick, a WJC MVP, and more, you better be getting more than a 2C lol.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

That's a fair question, not sure. Here's one for you. We trade for Lindholm and he's like a back up plan if it looks like no EP extension is possible. EP>Lindholm, but if EP doesn't want to sign an extension beyond next season they get Lindholm extended, trade EP.

Have you guys even watched Lindholm play? He does not drive a line, he's more of a complementary piece on a scoring line. Reason he's not putting up point totals like previous years is because he doesn't have Tkachuk and Gaudreau feeding him anymore. He's also due for an overpriced UFA contract at 30 years old. No thanks.

EP is maybe a tier below generational, you do everything you can to re-sign him, or move him for the highest price. Getting Lindholm as a back up option would be a massive failure IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1