Rumour: Joel Eriksson Ek

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You need to understand value per cap hit.  Why do you think guys like Hagel and Jeannot got traded for what they did?  

At 5.25M, Ek is on pace for 60ish points and 34 goals.  He's also a big defensive centreman that plays with an edge.  In the right environment I bet he could be up in the 75 to 80 point range.  All for $5.25M.  He is worth WAY more than you think.

No doubt he's worth a lot. I would do pretty much anything to have him on our team, he's a crazy good 2C. That said, giving up 5 or 6 assets for him is overkill. I would say he's worth about as much as Horvat was last year when we traded him, maybe slightly more.

Well, If Erickson-Ek is available......you enquire.....but the cost will be substantial

EE for Kuzmenko, Podkokin and a 1st

EE for Kuzmenko, Raty and a 1st

or the one I hate 

EE for Kuzmenko, Bryz, and a 1st

No more than that, and I don't think it gets it done.........

Maybe Kuzmenko, Bryz, Raty and a 1st.......but that hurts!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Are you serious? I think it's the other way around. Other teams should be worried. 

Miller's a wrecking ball. 

@Grandmaster

Are you seriously laughing at what I said about Miller? Not sure why you laughed, but seriously, Hammertime worrying about other teams taking runs at Miller, has it all wrong. 

Miller hurts people, not the other way around. 

They should be worried. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Well, If Erickson-Ek is available......you enquire.....but the cost will be substantial

EE for Kuzmenko, Podkokin and a 1st

EE for Kuzmenko, Raty and a 1st

or the one I hate 

EE for Kuzmenko, Bryz, and a 1st

No more than that, and I don't think it gets it done.........

Maybe Kuzmenko, Bryz, Raty and a 1st.......but that hurts!

This is all overkill. People need to calm down on their proposal ideas. 

If that's what Minny expects, screw 'em. 

Let someone else get fleeced. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Kuzmenko 

No the whole point is they need the cap next year if their moving Ek. Kuzz doesn't help them. Myers is the only way to make the money work for both parties and I think moving Myers would punch a big hole in our D. I know most fans don't but I do and I think the players do too. 

Ek doesn't work unless we find a 3rd party to trade Kuzz to creating cap space then we still need to pay the piper for Ek yada yada no I don't see a scenario where we don't pay too much ie make our team worse rn and long term to make it happen. 

Edited by Hammertime

48 minutes ago, Mc1laren said:

No chance MIN trades a 2c powerhouse on an amazing contract for Kuzmenko and a 1st. Canucks would have to move Kuz elsewhere and use those assets to try and get JEE. I dont think people realize how good JEE is, how valuable his contract is and the favt he is just hitting his prime years. 

Kuzmenko to WAS

2nd & 3rd to VAN 

1st, 2nd or Brustewicz, 3rd and Podkolzin to MIN

JEE and Cap dump to VAN 

I would be very hesitant to move Hoglander unless it was for a young top 4 RHD with term. Hoglander would also not be the main piece in a trade like this. 

That's why it's great that people like you aren't pulling the trigger. Haha! 

20 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

No the whole point is they need the cap next year if their moving Ek. Kuzz doesn't help them. Myers is the only way to make the money work for both parties and I think moving Myers would punch a big hole in our D. I know most fans don't but I do and I think the players do too. 

Ek doesn't work unless we find a 3rd party to trade Kuzz to creating cap space then we still need to pay the piper for Ek yada yada no I don't see a scenario where we don't pay too much ie make our team worse rn and long term to make it happen. 

Why do they need cap next year??

• ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

@Grandmaster

Are you seriously laughing at what I said about Miller? Not sure why you laughed, but seriously, Hammertime worrying about other teams taking runs at Miller, has it all wrong. 

Miller hurts people, not the other way around. 

They should be worried. 

They should!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I don’t know about laughing, they say it doesn’t make sense to move Ek, but also make a pretty flawed case.

Minny is a bad team right now and virtually all their bigger contracts have trade protection.  They don’t have a path to even START becoming a good team for a couple years when that huge dead cap hit comes off.  I bet don’t magically become a good team right after that, they just have the chance to start building up again… not contending.

By that point, Ek is over 30

and nearing the end of his contract, so he isn’t in their window.

They may not be thinking along these lines, but there is a logical path where Minny uses these next two years to rebuild.  One way to get players with trade protection to waive is to signal you intend on stripping it down.  They start that process by moving guys like Ek who don’t have the trade protection.  Then let the dominos fall with the guys who do have trade protection.

With the cap opening up, there are chances to move contracts, even this year they can take bad money back to make deals work and maximize returns

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t know about laughing, they say it doesn’t make sense to move Ek, but also make a pretty flawed case.

Minny is a bad team right now and virtually all their bigger contracts have trade protection.  They don’t have a path to even START becoming a good team for a couple years when that huge dead cap hit comes off.  I bet don’t magically become a good team right after that, they just have the chance to start building up again… not contending.

By that point, Ek is over 30

and nearing the end of his contract, so he isn’t in their window.

They may not be thinking along these lines, but there is a logical path where Minny uses these next two years to rebuild.  One way to get players with trade protection to waive is to signal you intend on stripping it down.  They start that process by moving guys like Ek who don’t have the trade protection.  Then let the dominos fall with the guys who do have trade protection.

With the cap opening up, there are chances to move contracts, even this year they can take bad money back to make deals work and maximize returns

They only have another season left of cap hell, at that point they will get another 13 million in cap. That's not including the 8 million or so the cap will have gone up by then. They aren't contenders right now but have a solid pipeline of prospects and a bunch of young players coming into their own. They sure aren't trending towards a teardown/rebuild.

Keeping a team leader who is signed to a team friendly deal for 6 more seasons is a no brainer.

There is absolutely no reason for Minnesota to trade JEE. He’s on a sweetheart deal for the rest of this decade, they don’t have depth at center, and they’d be trading one of their best all around Selke level centerman for a slumping Kuzmenko and a late 1st.

Anything with JEE will start with Lekkerimaki or Willander and those pieces we simply can’t afford to give up. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Some guy named Taj started this rumour on a random Friday night and now we have Hockey Analysts talking about it. Crazy how shit can just spread like that lol

I mean... anyone with half a brain could see the reason Vancouver would like to grab a player like that. I suggested him as a possible name a few days ago... doesn't mean I had any inside information, just an easy speculation piece.  

21 minutes ago, Odd. said:

There is absolutely no reason for Minnesota to trade JEE. He’s on a sweetheart deal for the rest of this decade, they don’t have depth at center, and they’d be trading one of their best all around Selke level centerman for a slumping Kuzmenko and a late 1st.

Anything with JEE will start with Lekkerimaki or Willander and those pieces we simply can’t afford to give up. 

There is zero chance Allvin is a Moran like Benning. If he gets EEk it will be a steal, just like how he stole Hronek from Yzerboy. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

As they should. Eriksson Ek is one of the 5-10 best defensive forwards in the league and has 5 more years on his deal after this one at 5.25mil. I was definitely very hopeful for a trade. But I just don't see why they'd do it unless they wanna hard tear down the roster. The more I think about this, the more silly it becomes as an idea and the more I realize even I undervalued him in a trade.

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

As they should. Eriksson Ek is one of the 5-10 best defensive forwards in the league and has 5 more years on his deal after this one at 5.25mil. I was definitely very hopeful for a trade. But I just don't see why they'd do it unless they wanna hard tear down the roster. The more I think about this, the more silly it becomes as an idea and the more I realize even I undervalued him in a trade.

F this Eek guy. Don’t want the puck sucker loser doodle. He’s craperolla. 

IMO if we want a game changing 2C I'd just keep the assets and wait till the off-season.

Myers expires and can be internally replaced by a Juulsen or resigned on the cheap and Cole is off the books. 

I'd target a B.C home grown talent in ideally Sam Reinhart. It's been a few yrs since he was consitentally a C but he'd be a great fit IMHAO.

If the D depth is still and Issue or Reino's new deal is to high with raises to the current group Kuz can be shipped out at some point, we could split EP40, Reino, Boes and JT over 2 lines with whoever he plays C and obvs RW

There's definitely options that don't include us bending over and mortgaging our future. 

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

This is all overkill. People need to calm down on their proposal ideas. 

If that's what Minny expects, screw 'em. 

Let someone else get fleeced. 

Meh. I think those are decent offers. Personally, I would offer Kuz, Raty (eventual replacement for JEE), and our late 1st rounder. I think that's a typical package you'd see for a player of that caliber - roster player with upside, good prospect, 1st round pick.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Lou said:

IMO if we want a game changing 2C I'd just keep the assets and wait till the off-season.

Myers expires and can be internally replaced by a Juulsen or resigned on the cheap (2.5-3AAV) and Cole is off the books.

I'd target a B.C home grown talent in ideally Sam Reinhart. It's been a few yrs since he was consitentally a C but he'd be a great fit IMHAO.

If the D depth is still and Issue Kuz can be shipped out at some point. There's definitely options that don't include us bending over and mortgaging our future. 

Sam Reinhart? On pace for over 60 goals Sam Reinhart? You think we can afford him let alone his cap hit?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim Tim said:

Meh. I think those are decent offers. Personally, I would offer Kuz, Raty (eventual replacement for JEE), and our late 1st rounder. I think that's a typical package you'd see for a player of that caliber - roster player with upside, good prospect, 1st round pick.

63FFE88C-F02B-4AE7-A6BC-6E18F4F063F1.gif.ee2779b99a4edba666441d48b286e778.gif

4 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Because our first will be 32 there would need to be something more added

• Haha 1