[Signing] Jason Dickinson re-sign with Blackhawks

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Pearson was not overpaid at all. He provided RELIABLE points for his pay. People were just expecting him to be a 40 or 50 goal scorer, which is unrealistic.

Something to note about the Benning regime: Pearson and Dickinson are both doing well AWAY from the team. There was just something about how Benning assembled his team that didn't flow. Yes, keeping Green was a BIG mistake.

Wait what?  Who here expected Tanner Pearson to score 40 or 50 goals??!?  Are you thinking of Toffoli maybe?  Even then... 40 or 50 goals???

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Uh-oh.  We're going to lose Joshua to free agency, aren't we?

Wouldn't surprise me, the cost of having a higher end season without winning a cup is guys wanting their bag 

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua and Blueger as well.  Both will be wanting new contracts similar to this one...

Wouldn't surprise me, management's done a good job thus far but it'll be interesting to see how they address any turnover that stems from the success they've helped build 

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, which is why we need to kinda go for it this year.  With 10 pending UFA's and RFA's I don't think we will have the same team next season...

Doubt we have the same team, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, I think the team could be improved upon 

Just puts pressure on management to find deals, although having a successful season will help attract players

It also puts pressure on management and the coaching staff being able to integrate cost effective ELC's/RFA's such as Raty

Better to have to put up with the problems of a competitive team than those of a no man's land team though 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm happy for him. By all accounts, he's a great guy but his performance while in Vancouver left something to be desired. With that said, 4.25m a season is what you'd expect to pay a competent 2nd line player, and even with his 41 point pace and the best +/- on the team, and a decent year last season, he's not worth that. 

But hey - they are a cap floor team with no aspirations to become anything more any time soon, so good for him.

Wow, good for him.  Quite a few guys who left the team and went on to find success over the past few years.

Some combination of team building, maturity of the core, coaching and health that kept the last 2-3 seasons from finding any sustained success.

Ill admit I lost a lot of faith before this season - but its validating to see our team’s success this year plus good play from even the guys we let go.  Was nearly gaslit into thinking it well and truly was no hope for our team to turn it around.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

They pay him for being a good leader/pro for the team (yes, Jim Benning use to do this all the time with the Canucks). The difference is, Dickinson has had 2 good seasons in Chicago, respected within the room and as the Blackhawks bring in the next wave of prospects/young players onto the team, Dickinson and Foglino will be the ones who show them the ropes on how to be a pro. Is this an overpayment? Absolutely. They need to overpay for these players to play on a rebuilding team for 2 years where there isn't going to be a lot of winning. But the Blackhawks have the cap space. Both Foglino and Dickinson's contract will come off the books the same season Bedard needs an extension after his ELC. Unlike Jim Benning, who signed 1-2 contracts like this every summer and give them more term on top of it.

That being said, their GM can't sign anymore of these kinds of contracts in the UFA market. Having 2 of these contracts should be enough, if you start to pile them on, you become Jim Benning 2.0

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Well… he was rebuilding, so its gunna have its headaches. Relating the struggles of a team rebuilding on guys like Pearson and Dickinson who werent given the same kind of opportunities like Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Miller isnt a fair way to gauge things.

Im not shocked one bit hes scoring.

Dickinson was tied for 1st with 7 rush attempts when he played in Van with 400 less minutes than the guys above him at 5v5.

in all situations he had 8 rush attempts which was 3 behind Miller who was first on the team.

I got chirped for pointing out Dickinson is getting/finding open areas and getting chances hes just snake bitten and thats with 60% dzone starts. 
also defensively he was one of our best forwards.

Benning certainly doesn't deserve as much blame for sure. What I tried to highlight in the other post was that Benning identified certainly players that would MIGHT be good, but didn't manage the cap too well. Benning's core is certainly on display with Allvin's team (Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, and so forth).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Benning certainly doesn't deserve as much blame for sure. What I tried to highlight in the other post was that Benning identified certainly players that would MIGHT be good, but didn't manage the cap too well. Benning's core is certainly on display with Allvin's team (Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, and so forth).

Well he was also had a 2.5-6.5mil cap increase taken from him as well which made cap management very difficult out of nowhere.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-salary-cap-84-88-2-million-next-season/?sn-amp

His cap management didnt cost us a single core player. His RFA negotiations were unreal.

Hughes deal?? Demko? Horvat? Boeser?

I mean shit we coulda moved Kuzmenko last TDL and got Hronek probably AND kept a true 2C.

Imagine Kuzmenko out and Horvat in right now? Im sure would have found a way to make a little more cap space and get a deal done. Or get a discounted deal done from the captain.

you might think im just saying this about Kuzmenko now because of how his season has unfolded… but if you go digging on the old forums I was quick to state i wasnt sold on him and right away his skating was my immediate concern. Tons of talent/skill, but a very inefficient stride/skater

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Its a fact (ok, it's my opinion 🤣) that on crappy teams (which the Black Hawks are), *somebody* will get *some* points.  On the Black Hawks, Dickon is such the player.  

In my opinion.

He was good with the Stars.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Pearson was not overpaid at all. He provided RELIABLE points for his pay. People were just expecting him to be a 40 or 50 goal scorer, which is unrealistic.

Something to note about the Benning regime: Pearson and Dickinson are both doing well AWAY from the team. There was just something about how Benning assembled his team that didn't flow. Yes, keeping Green was a BIG mistake.

I was expecting him to be a 20 goal guy, not a 40 or 50 goal scorer. He only hit 20 once in his time in Van, so that was disapointing.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Reznor said:

I'm happy for him. By all accounts, he's a great guy but his performance while in Vancouver left something to be desired. With that said, 4.25m a season is what you'd expect to pay a competent 2nd line player, and even with his 41 point pace and the best +/- on the team, and a decent year last season, he's not worth that. 

But hey - they are a cap floor team with no aspirations to become anything more any time soon, so good for him.

A competent 2nd liner will make more than 4.25.  

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As a *winger* he was passable (a 20 something point forward - not something you'd pay $4+ million for imho).

I agree on the money value but on he's actually closer to a 40 point player this season. Who knows he could have gotten those points if he stayed with Dalls.

That said it does make me wonder what would Teddy Blueger's extension will be next season. With Dickinson's extension he will be asking for a similar contract. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, which is why we need to kinda go for it this year.  With 10 pending UFA's and RFA's I don't think we will have the same team next season...

Exactly, as we said at the start of the season, where people wanted to continue building and go for it in 2-3 years time...

Not a huge surprise that players doing well want to see cash...

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

A competent 2nd liner will make more than 4.25.  

Ok... yeah, maybe. But his 41 projected points is nowhere near 2nd line production (which in 22-22 was between 63-74 points.) So even with his so-far successful season, he's solidly a 3rd liner, and only recently. 4.25m is a lot to pay. (Though to be fair, we're paying Garland even more as our own third liner. But I think we can all agree that isn't ideal)

Re: Dickinson the AAV price might be high but 2 years is a palatable term.  

I don’t think there’s a real problem overpaying in AAV during down years to keep vets around, but you need to keep the term short to maintain flexibility.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Reznor said:

Ok... yeah, maybe. But his 41 projected points is nowhere near 2nd line production (which in 22-22 was between 63-74 points.) So even with his so-far successful season, he's solidly a 3rd liner, and only recently. 4.25m is a lot to pay. (Though to be fair, we're paying Garland even more as our own third liner. But I think we can all agree that isn't ideal)

I agree.  I'm just focusing on the 4.25.

• Upvote 1