Nils Höglander | #21 | LW

Rubik

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The assumption in the statement is that he's hit his ceiling. Given his shooting percentage, that's plausible, but he's still only 23, so he might be improving a little more still.

He's worked pretty hard to be a more all round player, one that doesn't need the silly tricks he use to. Those stick wraparounds were sweet though..

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The assumption in the statement is that he's hit his ceiling. Given his shooting percentage, that's plausible, but he's still only 23, so he might be improving a little more still.

He hasn’t hit his ceiling. He scored 25 goals and all at even strength. Imagine what he could have done with power play time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

He hasn’t hit his ceiling. He scored 25 goals and all at even strength. Imagine what he could have done with power play time.

Kuzmenko is a cautionary tale of the repeatability of high shooting percentages though. Hoglander will almost certainly score with a more human shooting percentage, which would lower his goal total. That said, if he spends more time in the top six and even gets PP time, he could counteract that with more shots from more ice time.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

This kid makes stuff happen on the ice for his line mates as well as himself. I believe his ceiling has yet to come to fruition.

I mean. I love a great story and Hogz fits the bill for sure. In so much as I'm a supporter of in house built talent, I realize that players like Hogz could be traded away. He's become that kind of player and would be an asset elsewhere to be sure. I'd like to see him flourish with us!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Someone agrees!

Sure, but as a cheap cost third liner. Janik also said Hogs is not a top six player. 
If we keep Hogs then Garland needs to go. No room for two small tops. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure, but as a cheap cost third liner. Janik also said Hogs is not a top six player. 
If we keep Hogs then Garland needs to go. No room for two small tops. 

Anyone can be traded, agreed he's not top six, I'd rather keep Garland if we also keep Joshua, keep the chemistry together. Also, Garland was pretty effective in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, AlexanderM said:

Anyone can be traded, agreed he's not top six, I'd rather keep Garland if we also keep Joshua, keep the chemistry together. Also, Garland was pretty effective in the playoffs. 

Garland isn’t a pp or a pk guy. He’s okay at evens against the other clubs’ bottom players. If we can dumperoo his cap that’s a good deal for us. Hogs is cheap so keep him but move out Garland. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland isn’t a pp or a pk guy. He’s okay at evens against the other clubs’ bottom players. If we can dumperoo his cap that’s a good deal for us. Hogs is cheap so keep him but move out Garland. 

Höglander can probably replace at least most of what Garland brings, so it would come down to who gives you the better return. If teams come calling about Höglander and start offering you high value assets then we have to start listening. I love Höglander but for the right price we should trade him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Höglander can probably replace at least most of what Garland brings, so it would come down to who gives you the better return. If teams come calling about Höglander and start offering you high value assets then we have to start listening. I love Höglander but for the right price we should trade him.

Yup. And can a guy come up from the farm and provide what Hogs/Garland do? Lekkerimaki can score and is a far better defensive player than both Hogs and Garland. There’s Bains and Aman too. But they won’t provide top six minutes. 

For the second time in his young career, Nils Höglander announced his arrival in the National Hockey League. The hope now has to be that the 24 goals he scored this season will serve as a springboard to bigger and better things in the years to come.
The 23-year-old Swede finished the season with 24 goals and 36 points in 80 games. Höglander was seventh on the Canucks in regular season scoring despite being 20th in overall ice time. And all of his goals came at 5-on-5 where he finished tied for 10th in the league and was four better than JT Miller for the Canucks team lead.
Höglander serves as the poster boy for the Canucks player development department. As a raw rookie and a 20-year-old finding his way to the best league on the planet during a global pandemic, Höglander scored 13 goals in his first NHL season in the All-Canadian division in 2021. Despite the offensive prowess he showed, however, Höglander had trouble winning over then-head coach Travis Green, who saw warts in his play away from the puck.

Höglander didn’t fare much better under Green’s replacement, Bruce Boudreau, and was sent to the American Hockey League 25 games into the 2022-23 season. The Canucks believed in the offensive traits and the fierce forechecking that made Höglander a second round draft pick in 2019, however there were concerns about his defensive instincts and his play below the tops of the circles in his own zone..
To his credit, Höglander embraced the demotion to Abbotsford and worked on areas of his game that would allow him to return to the NHL on a full-time basis. And this season, he made the most of his opportunities. 

Starting in a fourth-line role, Höglander scored on 10 of his first 42 shots and had 10 goals in 33 games at Christmas time. It was around then that he earned a promotion to play higher in the line-up and continued to produce for the Canucks.

The two halves of Höglander’s season showed remarkable balance – 12+5=17 in the first half and 12+7=19 in the second – and he scored 10 goals in his final 33 games, just like he had in his first 33. So there was a consistency to Höglander’s production regardless of where he was in the season or where he found himself in the line-up.
And those concerns of past head coaches over Höglander’s defensive deficiencies? The underlying numbers this season show a player that controlled play by almost any metric. His individual Corsi was 53.3%, the Canucks held a 54.5% edge in expected goals and outscored opponents 52-29 with Höglander on the ice at 5-on-5.
It was a highly productive season for Höglander who sits seventh from his 2019 NHL Draft class with 50 goals and is 11th with 90 points in 221 career games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep the Hog !!!!! says Rip.

40 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

For the second time in his young career, Nils Höglander announced his arrival in the National Hockey League. The hope now has to be that the 24 goals he scored this season will serve as a springboard to bigger and better things in the years to come.
The 23-year-old Swede finished the season with 24 goals and 36 points in 80 games. Höglander was seventh on the Canucks in regular season scoring despite being 20th in overall ice time. And all of his goals came at 5-on-5 where he finished tied for 10th in the league and was four better than JT Miller for the Canucks team lead.
Höglander serves as the poster boy for the Canucks player development department. As a raw rookie and a 20-year-old finding his way to the best league on the planet during a global pandemic, Höglander scored 13 goals in his first NHL season in the All-Canadian division in 2021. Despite the offensive prowess he showed, however, Höglander had trouble winning over then-head coach Travis Green, who saw warts in his play away from the puck.

Höglander didn’t fare much better under Green’s replacement, Bruce Boudreau, and was sent to the American Hockey League 25 games into the 2022-23 season. The Canucks believed in the offensive traits and the fierce forechecking that made Höglander a second round draft pick in 2019, however there were concerns about his defensive instincts and his play below the tops of the circles in his own zone..
To his credit, Höglander embraced the demotion to Abbotsford and worked on areas of his game that would allow him to return to the NHL on a full-time basis. And this season, he made the most of his opportunities. 

Starting in a fourth-line role, Höglander scored on 10 of his first 42 shots and had 10 goals in 33 games at Christmas time. It was around then that he earned a promotion to play higher in the line-up and continued to produce for the Canucks.

The two halves of Höglander’s season showed remarkable balance – 12+5=17 in the first half and 12+7=19 in the second – and he scored 10 goals in his final 33 games, just like he had in his first 33. So there was a consistency to Höglander’s production regardless of where he was in the season or where he found himself in the line-up.
And those concerns of past head coaches over Höglander’s defensive deficiencies? The underlying numbers this season show a player that controlled play by almost any metric. His individual Corsi was 53.3%, the Canucks held a 54.5% edge in expected goals and outscored opponents 52-29 with Höglander on the ice at 5-on-5.
It was a highly productive season for Höglander who sits seventh from his 2019 NHL Draft class with 50 goals and is 11th with 90 points in 221 career games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep the Hog !!!!! says Rip.

Hogs is going take Garland’s minutes and save us 4 mil on the cap. 

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs is going take Garland’s minutes and save us 4 mil on the cap. 

I'm starting to question this a bit - just looking at my favourite player comp tool, Garly and Teddy may have carried Joshua to a large degree... maybe we keep two small agitators, look for cheaper big players?

https://naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478057&p2=8478856&p3=8476927&p4=0&p5=0

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm starting to question this a bit - just looking at my favourite player comp tool, Garly and Teddy may have carried Joshua to a large degree... maybe we keep two small agitators, look for cheaper big players?

https://naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478057&p2=8478856&p3=8476927&p4=0&p5=0

Hard to imagine us having both Garland and Hogs (neither PKs) in our bottom six. DJ is a very good PK guy. Bluegar is another guy we might choose to keep over Garland. Garlands freed up cap might be enough to bump DJ, Bluegar, and Big Z. 
DJ + Bluegar + Big Z or Garland?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hard to imagine us having both Garland and Hogs (neither PKs) in our bottom six. DJ is a very good PK guy. Bluegar is another guy we might choose to keep over Garland. Garlands freed up cap might be enough to bump DJ, Bluegar, and Big Z. 

I think Hogs is top 6 or bust for us. I hear you on the PK, but is he an elite PKr worth 4 mil?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think Hogs is top 6 or bust for us. I hear you on the PK, but is he an elite PKr worth 4 mil?

Who is 4 mil per? DJ is likely 2.5-3 per with a term that gets him the total money he wants. We would likely offer 3 years. Another club might go the extra year. But the yearly cap allocation (IMHAO) will be shy of 3 from any club that is looking to compete. 
Garland is at pretty much 5 per. Hogs plays his minutes and we save 4 per. 
We have no other bottom six forward to move off (who have positive value) to clear this amount of cap. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Who is 4 mil per? DJ is likely 2.5-3 per with a term that gets him the total money he wants. We would likely offer 3 years. Another club might go the extra year. But the yearly cap allocation (IMHAO) will be shy of 3 from any club that is looking to compete. 
Garland is at pretty much 5 per. Hogs plays his minutes and we save 4 per. 
We have no other bottom six forward to move off (who have positive value) to clear this amount of cap. 

apparently 4 mil is the DJ amount if the TO media is to be believed. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d rather keep Garlamd on the 3rd line. Höglander can be packaged to get rid of Mikheyev. Podkolzin can take Joshua’s spot. We can re-sign Lindholm to be our 2C and we can trade Hronek for Lawson Crouse, who would replace Joshua as a true power forward. We could then get some big nasty plugs to fill out the 4th line. Guys who can kill penalties. 

Crouse         Miller          Boeser 

Pettersson   Lindholm    Lekkerimäki 

Podkolzin     Blueger      Garland  

Suter

Aman 

This is a much better distribution of cap space, we get a true power forward in Crouse and we also have a defacto shutdown line in the Miller line. And the Swedish line is our offensive dynamo line. Lindholm can also move down to the 3rd line if we want to balance the lines more and play Crouse with Petey. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d rather keep Garlamd on the 3rd line. Höglander can be packaged to get rid of Mikheyev. Podkolzin can take Joshua’s spot. We can re-sign Lindholm to be our 2C and we can trade Hronek for Lawson Crouse, who would replace Joshua as a true power forward. We could then get some big nasty plugs to fill out the 4th line. Guys who can kill penalties. 

Suter

Aman 

This is a much better distribution of cap space, we get a true power forward in Crouse and we also have a defacto shutdown line in the Miller line. And the Swedish line is our offensive dynamo line. Lindholm can also move down to the 3rd line if we want to balance the lines more and play Crouse with Petey. 

The Empties approve of this plan. 👍

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

apparently 4 mil is the DJ amount if the TO media is to be believed. 

Funny we paid Mik almost $5M to come in and be what DJ was last season. A matchup third liner that retrieves pucks and kills penalties while providing a bit of offence. 
$4M is too much as much as would love to see him stay.
He put together a decent season and then a really good one. 

I would give him fairly LT at $3M but $4 just doesn’t fit. 
Still need another good PF for Pettey. 
PA is always active and seems to have excellent pro scouting.
Always fun to see how they fill things out. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Funny we paid Mik almost $5M to come in and be what DJ was last season. A matchup third liner that retrieves pucks and kills penalties while providing a bit of offence. 
$4M is too much as much as would love to see him stay.
He put together a decent season and then a really good one. 

I would give him fairly LT at $3M but $4 just doesn’t fit. 
Still need another good PF for Pettey. 
PA is always active and seems to have excellent pro scouting.
Always fun to see how they fill things out. 

Mik had, at the time, McDavid levels of speed in a straight line tho, he brought something special that way. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Suter

Aman 

I think they will trade Hogs to unload Mik as well. They may have to retain 1m and get a 2nd in return.

As much as I like Crouse, I doubt Hronek will sign with Utah.

I'm not confident in Lekker making the team next season

UFAs Duclair 4.0m + Monohan 3.2 + P. Kane 3.5mx1 + Blue 2.0m + Van Riemsdyk 1.2mx1yr

Monohan C/LW       JT      Brock

Duclair LW    EP     P. Kane RW (he would be a great placeholder for Lekker).

Monohan is a solid playmaker for JT/Brock. 

Duclair is tough and can score, while we already know what Kane can do

for one more year.

V-Riemsdyk   Suter     Garland

Aman      Blue     Pods

Di Gi

• Cheers 1

Any stats on how effective Hogz is on the boards? My feeling is that his forechecking and ability to win battles along the board is what RT likes about him.

I would be very surprised if we trade him, he's cheap.

• ThereItIs 1