Q&A with Canucks GM Patrik Allvin

5 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

What? Only 2 worst case scenarios? 
Allvin has multiple variations to work with.

He already knows what it will cost to re-sign Petey. The half million that it might differ and the difference in term depends on other criterias. 

Tell me how a half a mill can be of that magnitude? 
I think it’s more about term, 1, 3, 4, 6, 8 years and other conditions.

You might have a point if Petey is asking for over 13. Personally I don’t believe that is a problem the first year of the contract. And around 12 is already what Allvin knows Petey will cost.

The only cheap version, one year, might be risky.

Right now, Allvin doesn't even know if he will 100% re-sign with the Canucks.  He hopes he will, but it is a big assumption to make when he is an RFA for a year, then a UFA.  I'm sure the Flames thought they'd re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but look what happened there.  Especially Gaudreau who was thought to be close to extending when he then had a change of heart overnight.  These things happen, and if you are a GM managing a cap budget, you can't just go out and spend cap space for the future without knowing what your most expensive and valuable asset is gonna do.  

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying his plans for building the best roster possible is frozen at the moment because the only thing he can do is work with 2 worst case scenarios... 

1. That it will cost much more than he hopes to re-sign Petey, or

2. That he will have to trade Petey

Technically, you can only have one worst case scenario.  That's why it's called the worst.  There are no other scenarios worster than it.

Just now, Goalie29 said:

Technically, you can only have one worst case scenario.  That's why it's called the worst.  There are no other scenarios worster than it.

Go back to bed.  Don't want you here pointing out the technicalities 😝

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Right now, Allvin doesn't even know if he will 100% re-sign with the Canucks.  He hopes he will, but it is a big assumption to make when he is an RFA for a year, then a UFA.  I'm sure the Flames thought they'd re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but look what happened there.  Especially Gaudreau who was thought to be close to extending when he then had a change of heart overnight.  These things happen, and if you are a GM managing a cap budget, you can't just go out and spend cap space for the future without knowing what your most expensive and valuable asset is gonna do.  

I just say gosh, if Petey hesitates Benning screwed the Canucks more than we all knew… Really bad. 
Can we get him tared and feathered? 

6 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Unless you run out of worcestershire- then all hell will break loose from those wanting a caesar! 🍹

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Unless you run out of worcestershire- then all hell will break loose from those wanting a caesar! 🍹

So that would be a worcestershire case scenario?

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

He's for sure going to make a big move at the deadline, everything he says is building up to it. He's made some good moves in the past but now that we've got such a good, solid team and great chemistry, it'll be hard to improve that and not ruin it. You see contending teams make plays for big names all the time at the TDL and mess it up. We don't need a star, but we don't really need 3rd or 4th line depth guys. A middle-ish forward would suit this team so nicely, say a 50ish point scoring center or winger. Nothing flashy but just compliment our team. 

He'll have a massive task this off-season of signing Petey and sorting out our defence but no rush, I don't have any animosity towards Petey for not re-signing yet, that can wait until the off-season IMO.

• Cheers 1

Petey needs to put his big boy pants and put the ink on the paper. Getting tired of the wait. 

I think the dominos fall in this order:

1. Petey

2. Hronek

3. Zadorav (due to age factor over the next 2)

4. Myers or Cole (I think one will be brought back not both).

5. Joshua/Bluegar

6. Lafferty (I don’t think he gets resigned simply due to needing money in other places).

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

IMO, Petey is either:

a) unsure about playing in Vancouver

b) greedy

c) both

JR/Allvin are trying to plan ahead, especially with the TDL looming. Petey taking his time like a primadonna.

There it is, the obvious on Petey's situation. The one that really has me concerned is that you usually hear players say, "I really want to stay here " but I have not heard that from Petey once. 

This management group is very aware of what Petey should be paid and its not their first rodeo. I am sure he has been offered a contract that has fair market value but its either not enough or he is not sure he wants to commit to playing for us.

23 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Petey needs to put his big boy pants and put the ink on the paper. Getting tired of the wait. 

1. Petey

2. Hronek

5. Joshua/Bluegar

6. Lafferty (I don’t think he gets resigned simply due to needing money in other places).

Petey is the last of those… It’s probably terms that is talked about.

But Hronek, Zad, Myers etc… What do they want after such a good season.

Much more money discussed with those olaywrs than a half a million here or there with Petey because with hime everyone already knows what number(give or take a half mill) he gets.

33 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

IMO, Petey is either:

a) unsure about playing in Vancouver

b) greedy

c) both

JR/Allvin are trying to plan ahead, especially with the TDL looming. Petey taking his time like a primadonna.

It is fully within his contractual rights.  Nothing greedy about negotiating for the best contract possible.  It's not personal, it's business.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

It is fully within his contractual rights.  Nothing greedy about negotiating for the best contract possible.  It's not personal, it's business.

true. Just like the options management has to consider if things drag on too long. Petey's agent likes playing chicken with GMs, this isn't new. 

39 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

1. Petey

2. Hronek

5. Joshua/Bluegar

that list is also in order of how hard the position is to replace, other than maybe 4 and 5 which I'd switch. 

I just think Petey wants to focus on hockey during the season but it does leave room for speculation by us and the media. Saw Seravelli and thought he had good takes on it. He, like me, is not close to even beginning to worry about it 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

I just say gosh, if Petey hesitates Benning screwed the Canucks more than we all knew… Really bad. 
Can we get him tared and feathered? 

Can you please connect the dots for how Petey choosing not to re-sign is Bennings fault? Having trouble following the logic.

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I just think Petey wants to focus on hockey during the season but it does leave room for speculation by us and the media. Saw Seravelli and thought he had good takes on it. He, like me, is not close to even beginning to worry about it 

It's not so much a worry but rather a really self centered approach.

As pointed out in many other posts, Petey waiting to sign handcuffs the team for the rest of the season. Maybe longer. And without knowing whats happening, it puts us in a situation to potentially lose other UFA's like Cole and Joshua. 

To me, if Petey wants to play on a winning team, he needs to actually consider how his actions might actually be making the team worse.

• Cheers 1

Pettersson has always said "I leave that stuff to my agent" None the less, he's going to be paid. I hope they'll leave it till after the Playoffs, not do something

regrettable.  I read the rumors same as everyone. If Pettersson want's the world, then do not replace him with a + 30 year old and a high pick.

It's not right for a team that's Blooming now.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

While this statement at face value is true, I completely disagree with this notion and I wish more people thought the same as I do.

I run my own business. I know for a fact I could charge people more for the services I provide and customers would happily pay it. But I keep my prices at a point where I'm making good enough money, but ALL my customers are happy.

The best contract IMHO means both parties win, not just one side. When you are talking millions of dollars, and whatever contract Petey signs will earn him $100M+ over his career, I do think it is greedy to use stall tactics etc to squeeze out an extra couple million.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

While this statement at face value is true, I completely disagree with this notion and I wish more people thought the same as I do.

I run my own business. I know for a fact I could charge people more for the services I provide and customers would happily pay it. But I keep my prices at a point where I'm making good enough money, but ALL my customers are happy.

The best contract IMHO means both parties win, not just one side. When you are talking millions of dollars, and whatever contract Petey signs will earn him $100M+ over his career, I do think it is greedy to use stall tactics etc to squeeze out an extra couple million.

while I'm sure we all think like that, it simply isn't the way professional sports works.  Petey (and 99%) of the players in the league will ask for and get the max contract they possibly can.  Not only do they do it for themselves, but for the other players in the league who use those deals as benchmarks for their own deals.  

28 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

speculation

I think this is the key word here, everyone is speculating on EP40's intentions, such as:

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I do think it is greedy to use stall tactics etc to squeeze out an extra couple million.

We have no idea what is going on between him, his agent, and GMPA.  For all we know, it could be GMPA that is stalling to see if there's regression that he can use for his own leverage. 🤷‍♂️

It'd be best for everyone (especially the team and its players) if we didn't let our own (mostly unfounded and without basis) speculation run rampant.

edit, especially when the speculation is a veiled attack on a player's character.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think this is the key word here, everyone is speculating on EP40's intentions, such as:

We have no idea what is going on between him, his agent, and GMPA.  For all we know, it could be GMPA that is stalling to see if there's regression that he can use for his own leverage. 🤷‍♂️

It'd be best for everyone (especially the team and its players) if we didn't let our own (mostly unfounded and without basis) speculation run rampant.

edit, especially when the speculation is a veiled attack on a player's character.

Well, thats not entirely true. We do know that Allvin has stated publicly that he wants to get a deal done. We do know, as reported by Ian MacIntyre, that Petey and his agent have chosen not to engage in contract discussions at this time. So we know that its Petey's camp thats choosing to stall/not engage. So it's not our imagination or speculation that Petey is making a conscious choice not to come to the table. We also know that Petey also held out for weeks and missed training camp during his last contract negotiations. So there's a history here.

He says he wants to play for a winning team. Never said he wants to play for the canucks. So yeah, I'll come out and say it... I'm sure Petey is a great guy, loves his family, loves his teammates, loves hockey, but I do question his character and commitment to this team. Questioning someones character doesn't slander them or degrade him, it simply means that his actions have led me to question his motives and whats important to him. If whats important doesnt align with the team, then dragging this on and hurting the team is a fair reason to question his character.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Except we have no idea what's really being offered or considered or said by either side.

Besides, he's RFA.  There's really no rush.  If he was UFA I could understand a little bit of the panic, but it's not like he can just walk at the end of the deal.

I'm less worried about him walking. More worried about how waiting to sign the biggest contract in Canucks history is forcing ALL other actions (trades, UFA's, re-signing other players etc.) on hold and handcuffing management.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Except we have no idea what's really being offered or considered or said by either side.

Besides, he's RFA.  There's really no rush.  If he was UFA I could understand a little bit of the panic, but it's not like he can just walk at the end of the deal.

Yup, its not like the case of Horvat who *WAS* a pending UFA at the end of his Canucks contract (having an insane year - for him - in that contract expiring year).

• Cheers 1