How much of this teams future is this fan base willing to mortgage? But is there a bigger question to be asked first

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Rutherford likes to go all in, so why not.

I think we need a 2c for kuz. We could also add a veteran forward who can still play on/off and another dman for depth. 

I've mentioned Sillinger before and i think he could help kickstart kuz plus he is cheap. Jackets are not his team now and i'd move a 1st for him. 

Tanev for a future 2nd would be fine for depth d.

Why do you think Sillinger would be had for cheap? And what do you mean by Jackets are not his team now 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

He's also at 41 pts in 43 games. If the Canucks can get a player like that in the deadline and sign him for decent term. I'd say is a good deal.

Except The Fat Wallet cheat the game to get points. We don’t want players like that. Those guys seem to always be on losing teams. Hence the Elephant in the room. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I won't be mortgaging much.  They've got a challenging off season ahead and they're going to need good, young players on cheap contracts going forward.

Yup, we'll need young, cheaper talent to step up and replace some of the inevitable turnover. 

Only so much cap to go around and all of Blueger, Lafferty, and Joshua will be due for raises up front. 

Pettersson, Hronek, and Zadorov extensions will eat chunks, DeSmith or someone else will need to be signed or given a raise. Cole will need to be re-signed or replaced which should cost more than his current 3M imo. OEL cap hit jumps up and eats some cap. 

• Upvote 1

Our "core" isn't a few years from collecting OAS/CPP.  I don't see the need to rush *at this point*.  Wait until near the trade deadline & evaluate how "good" a chance one thinks they might have 'to win it all'.  If one of our core suffers a major injury, then that might answer the question (reason why I wouldn't go 'all in' even if it'll be cheaper at this point in the season than at the trade deadline - you simply don't know what the conditions will be like then).

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, we'll need young, cheaper talent to step up and replace some of the inevitable turnover. 

Only so much cap to go around and all of Blueger, Lafferty, and Joshua will be due for raises up front. 

Pettersson, Hronek, and Zadorov extensions will eat chunks, DeSmith or someone else will need to be signed or given a raise. Cole will need to be re-signed or replaced which should cost more than his current 3M imo. OEL cap hit jumps up and eats some cap. 

I like Zadorov, but if he wants term he's going to have to prove to management he's worthy of a lengthy term with the Canucks 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

He's also at 41 pts in 43 games. If the Canucks can get a player like that in the deadline and sign him for decent term. I'd say is a good deal.

BH is also leading another team out of the playoffs getting those points

We do no need another $8+million player for another 8 yrs without even having signed our own better players

Glad we moved on from him and I'll tell you that for free

Our team has improved drastically and his is going the opposite direction (glad he is happy for that telling us)

Trust in who is NHL Hall of Famer building this team who traded him to make us better and he already has

Doubtful he will buy retirement contracts to take us over the hill , but add Complimentary pieces or rentals instead

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I like Zadorov, but if he wants term he's going to have to prove to management he's worthy of a lengthy term with the Canucks 

I figure he could get 3-4 years, I wouldn't offer him more than that 

Henrique and lybushkin from Anaheim would be a nice add.

personally, we stand pat or make minor move. If the team is planning to keep Hughes and Heineken together And #40 with JT then I think this team should do little as come playoff time having 1 line of offence from the forwards and D group will get shut down and lead to an early 1/2round exit.

keep our prospects and picks and fill roster spots with them and pleas move on from Myers, 1m  next year or go to Alberta 

I'd go all in if we were guaranteed to win a cup but of course there are no guarantees so we should be very careful about rentals or short term solutions.  The team should be structured such that we have a chance for several years to come.  We should prepare for the playoffs by adding a bit of grit and muscle but we shouldn't sell the farm to do it.  We have all the skill we need at the skill positions, we just need to toughen up a bit and we're ready to go.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

He'd be great in the playoffs for us.  I really like what he  brings.  We don't have enough size without him. Especially if the team lets Myers walk, or wants to.

But...as you implied, he may be asking for the moon. It may be smart to trade him while we can. While his value is peaking. Damn I wish we'd pilfered Tanev out of Calgary instead. Not as physical, but could get a more reasonable contract, and term, and more importantly, he'd want to finish his career here.

I am so ready and eager for the Canucks to win a cup that I'd gladly trade our 1st next year plus another good pick/prospect/player (just not Willander/Lekkerimäki/D-Petey) for a very good impactful player to help us in the playoffs.

I'm way too impatient and it's a good thing I'm not managing the team because I know that might be dumb. But I also really want to watch the Canucks go on a deep playoff run, and this year's team feels like it has as good a shot at winning it all as any Canucks team since they entered the league.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

He'd be great in the playoffs for us.  I really like what he  brings.  We don't have enough size without him. Especially if the team lets Myers walk, or wants to.

But...as you implied, he may be asking for the moon. It may be smart to trade him while we can. While his value is peaking. Damn I wish we'd pilfered Tanev out of Calgary instead. Not as physical, but could get a more reasonable contract, and term, and more importantly, he'd want to finish his career here.

If he's indeed asking for the moon, wait until after playoffs to trade him unless you can get someone equivalent or better at TDL 

• Upvote 1

I really want to keep this D group together this year and going forward. Yes, that includes Myers at a reasonable cost. 

I used to believe our smallish defensemen could make up for size mismatches by being fleet of foot, sound positionally, great with their stick, etc. While that is the case for some, it honestly just isn’t the case for many (or at least wasn’t the case for many of our previous undersized dmen). When compared to the shut down stability that our current mutants on the blue line bring, I pick this set up every time. This is the most confident I’ve been in defensemen since our cup run. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

As great as it's going tight now, they're actually in a really tenuous situation.  They're in for a tough iff season and could take a step back next season, in which case the temptation is to go all in this year. 

However, if they want a longer window than this year, they need to keep young players and high picks, as they'll need that depth to step up in the next year or two.

Personally, I'd rather see a longer window, so I'd stand pat and hope this group can get it done in the playoffs.  At the most id deal some picks and try to find a cheap rental option or two.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

As great as it's going tight now, they're actually in a really tenuous situation.  They're in for a tough iff season and could take a step back next season, in which case the temptation is to go all in this year. 

However, if they want a longer window than this year, they need to keep young players and high picks, as they'll need that depth to step up in the next year or two.

Personally, I'd rather see a longer window, so I'd stand pat and hope this group can get it done in the playoffs.  At the most id deal some picks and try to find a cheap rental option or two.

I'm more receptive to tinkering around the edges than big splashes as well 

Although I understand why others want to push the chips in

I'd rather keep building for a longer window, just making the playoffs has this season being a success imo

I'd welcome a cup but I also don't expect one

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Petey and Hronek not extended will keep Allvin from making a big splash IMO.  The uncertainty keeps his hands tied in case of worst case scenario. 

Must be pretty frustrating for Allvin right now.  Ironic that Petey is also hurting his team by not negotiating the contract sooner.

Yeah, blame it on Petey. 

It's what it is. His contract will be taken care of in due time. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Honestly, I think JR was planning for building a contender to be ready a couple of years. Make the playoffs this year, and go up from there.  This could be a case of getting what you want way sooner than you are ready for. Now, with where we are, it would be dumb not to go all in. But at the same time, ideally, the ultimate goal is building a sustainable, and regenerating, talent based team.  Get over the OEL hump first.

Its a quandary.  You don't ideally want to give up young prospects, or picks now. Or for that matter deal away Hoglander, or Podkolzin just for a rental.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

when allvin completely dodged the "does petey want to be in Vancouver?" question in his recent q&a, it shone a bright light on the fact that the canucks need to view the '21-22 calgary flames as a cautionary tale. 

that said, I'd be willing to give up a couple of podkolzin/lekkerimaki/'24 1st/'25 1st for the right piece(s) to go for it this year.

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Honestly, I think JR was planning for building a contender to be ready a couple of years. Make the playoffs this year, and go up from there.  This could be a case of getting what you want way sooner than you are ready for. Now, with where we are, it would be dumb not to go all in. But at the same time, ideally, the ultimate goal is building a sustainable, and regenerating, talent based team.  Get over the OEL hump first.

Its a quandary.  You don't ideally want to give up young prospects, or picks now. Or for that matter deal away Hoglander, or Podkolzin just for a rental.

I'm fine with picks, just not their first pick.  

Personally, I don't think this is the year and I don't want to waste the future for something I don't think they'll be able to get.  To me, their window is just opening and they need to be playing the long game.  If this group, as is (mostly) can get it done, great, it's not worth the gamble to risk the next 3-4 years

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, tas said:

when allvin completely dodged the "does petey want to be in Vancouver?" question in his recent q&a, it shone a bright light on the fact that the canucks need to view the '21-22 calgary flames as a cautionary tale. 

that said, I'd be willing to give up a couple of podkolzin/lekkerimaki/'24 1st/'25 1st for the right piece(s) to go for it this year.

and if they don't win this year, they're screwed going forward.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, stawns said:

and if they don't win this year, they're screwed going forward.

giving up 2 decent building blocks? far from screwed. 

every year after this one is a worse opportunity.