How much of this teams future is this fan base willing to mortgage? But is there a bigger question to be asked first

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The pattern is Stanley Cup(s) followed by disgraceful exits.  Look at some of those Hurricanes teams of the early 2010s.  Oof.

Always take part 1 of Trader Jim.  Never take part 2.

I'd take a Stanley Cup win followed by a few disgraceful exits any day of the week and twice on Sundays...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

The Toronto Raptors formula

Raptors fans can die in peace.  Meanwhile, a Canucks fan like myself who has been watching them since the Gretzky era is still suffering.  1982, 1994, 2011.  I saw them all.  I'll take the cup in 2024 and then have us become the worst team in the league in 2025 any day of the week.  

I don't think you have suffered enough as a Canucks fan to know what it truly means to not win a cup.  If it doesn't happen for us anytime soon, then in 10-15 years you will understand what I am talking about...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

Very doubtful they trade away any starting D or the back up goalie... Maybe if they trade for another D, but can't see DeSmith being part of any trade... he is partly the reason we are , where we are...

Like I say, I'd like to keep em all.  We'll see how many Allvin can keep.  And who...

The Canucks still have cap issues.  Myers cap problem is going to age out.  Would you keep him for 2 x $2.5?  I wonder what he says to something like that?  Cole, 33 might come back for less.  DeSmith, 32 might come back for a similar number.  Garland is the new elephant in the room.  He's looking great but at 4.95 for a 3rd liner for 2 more years..... maybe they can move him with salary retained.  At 28, Zadorov is going to want more, and term.  How can you pay a 3rd pair D $4M+ even if he is a giant?  He then becomes the next Garland.  The big guy is just a rental unfortunately.  

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raptors fans can die in peace.  Meanwhile, a Canucks fan like myself who has been watching them since the Gretzky era is still suffering.  1982, 1994, 2011.  I saw them all.  I'll take the cup in 2024 and then have us become the worst team in the league in 2025 any day of the week.  

I don't think you have suffered enough as a Canucks fan to know what it truly means to not win a cup.  If it doesn't happen for us anytime soon, then in 10-15 years you will understand what I am talking about...

'82, '94, '11... You saw it all, eh?  Tell me, did the dinosaurs really have feathers or not?

In 10-15 years I'll visit you in a old folks' home and tell you how the Canucks won 5 cups in a row.  You'll forget it the next day anyway.  Might as well sleep happy...

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

'82, '94, '11... You saw it all, eh?  Tell me, did the dinosaurs really have feathers or not?

In 10-15 years I'll visit you in anold folks' home and tell you how the Canucks won 5 cups in a row.  You'll forget it the next day anyway.  Might as well sleep happy...

Haha. Only Smithers Joe is old enough to have seen the dinosaurs…

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Like I say, I'd like to keep em all.  We'll see how many Allvin can keep.  And who...

The Canucks still have cap issues.  Myers cap problem is going to age out.  Would you keep him for 2 x $2.5?  I wonder what he says to something like that?  Cole, 33 might come back for less.  DeSmith, 32 might come back for a similar number.  Garland is the new elephant in the room.  He's looking great but at 4.95 for a 3rd liner for 2 more years..... maybe they can move him with salary retained.  At 28, Zadorov is going to want more, and term.  How can you pay a 3rd pair D $4M+ even if he is a giant?  He then becomes the next Garland.  The big guy is just a rental unfortunately.  

Think I may have misunderstood you CC...

I thought you were talking about prior to TDL?

I agree we will need to let players go prior to next season, but doubtful they will start trading our back up keeper, who has been big part of the success prior to TDL.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think I may have misunderstood you CC...

I thought you were talking about prior to TDL?

I agree we will need to let players go prior to next season, but doubtful they will start trading our back up keeper, who has been big part of the success prior to TDL.

come on spook, you know this . If you have UFA's that you dont plan to sign because you cant afford them, you trade them at the TDL. So you at least get something back. Big Z showed tonight why he is worth keeping, Cole did not. If they can trade Cole at TDL or even dump him for a 5th that is 3 million cap we can buy with.

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

come on spook, you know this . If you have UFA's that you dont plan to sign because you cant afford them, you trade them at the TDL. So you at least get something back. Big Z showed tonight why he is worth keeping, Cole did not. If they can trade Cole at TDL or even dump him for a 5th that is 3 million cap we can buy with.

Yes that may be all good and true, but as I said before, I don't see us trade away our back up goalie. He is a major reason for us being in the position we are, and he will be needed during the play offs. 
Secondly, we need a bunch of D for the play offs. One or two injuries to the D always happens, so unless they can improve the D (massively), I have a hard time seeing us, sending a D away as well. 
Forwards is a different discussion. But 

what was talked about with @Crabcakeswas Goalie and D, and I don't see major movements there. 
I think Kuz is gone if they find a buyer or trade partner at this stage. 
We need cap space next year, so a rental for Kuz would be understandable. 

Edited by spook007
Spelling

We have a very small window with the current depth we have to make a run if we can acquire a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman. These opportunities aren't super common so I'd be willing to take a swing for sure. I'd easily trade out Willander, be hesitant to move Lekk unless he obtained a top 6 forward who is young enough and can be re-signed, and would be more than open to trade 1sts to go for it. 

Go big or go home at this point. We have some favourable contracts right now and if we could move Myers out to acquire somebody worthy of a 6 mill cap hit that's even better. 

Just can't be trading for rentals unless they're worth a 3rd round pick or B-grade prospect or cheaper. 

Looking at the standings, Vegas have slowed down and we've got some separation there which is a real surprise. Edmonton are of course coming on hot so wonder when they'll slow down but surely they won't catch us...

Obviously a lot can change but right now we're looking at playing Nashville, LA or Seattle/Calgary/Arizona in the first round. Surely it'll end up being a decent team like LAK or NSH. I would worry a bit about LA, they have a pretty decent team who could turn it on in the playoffs. Nashville would be an absolute cake-walk.

A Vegas-Edmonton first round would be brilliant for us, they'll wear each other down, it'll be quite intense emotionally and we can take the scraps. Surely Vegas' strong structure and defence shuts down Edmonton and exposes them for who they really are, but in doing so surely it'll take a bit of wind out of Vegas. I'd rather face Edmonton than Vegas in the second round in any case because we can exploit their bad goaltending and defence, but doubt they steam roll Vegas. 

Honestly I think Winnipeg will stumble in the playoffs, as good as their D and goaltending has been, they will surely lose their scoring. They don't have any offensive stars, a lot of good depth and almost look like a better version of Seattle last year, but they'll surely get shutdown offensively and end up losing somewhere along the line to a team who can score just a bit more. Then it's between Dallas and Colorado and you know the Avs are going to be rolling when their captain comes back just in time for the playoffs.

There's a good chance we see a Canucks/Vegas vs Colorado Conference Final which would be so epic. The Canucks and Avs are so similar in terms of build, but they play a much looser, more offensive style. Miller vs MacKinnon, Hughes vs Makar and Petey vs Landeskog would be such good story lines but sadly I think we lose all of them in the playoffs. I don't see us beating the Avs in the 3rd round, we just don't have the experience yet for it, but that'd be a great first playoff run to build off. Whoever wins in the West surely mops up the Eastern team.

My biggest worry is that Kuzmenko is eating so much cap space that would have otherwise been used to get a quality player that can help the team to on a run.

I know there's no cap on the playoffs but you have to shed 5 million on LTIR before acquiring someone 

My take is to do nothing. The mantra is that you have to go through some playoff rounds to get seasoned for the next step. I have no expectation that the canucks will be a division champ, not alone a conference champ. I will go along with trading Kuz to get caproom this this summer for #40 and #17. I also believe that a few winger (1st rounders) may be ready to come up. Why are we so impatient to get into cap hell, for the future which is self defeating?

My take is trade Kuz for a center (rental), somehow swap Soucy for Tanev (that may be two trades). Resign Tanev and Zadorov.  Then bring up Pods to replace Hogs and use Hogs to replace Kuz.   

I think that leaves a couple workable forward lineups and a couple workable d lineups.  

Sounds like most the top tier AHL/prospects are off the table. From Allvin's recent interview they want/need players to jump into the NHL next year with all the expiring UFAs:

"Sportsnet: Will you try to re-sign some of those potential UFAs before the end of the season?

Allvin: We have kind of a pecking order. We've got to figure out how much money we have left, too. I anticipate there's going to be some changes starting next year, but I also would anticipate some of those changes would be internally with some of the younger players coming in and taking a step

Sportsnet: Who are some of the young players you’re thinking about?

Allvin: You have Vasily Podkolzin, Arshdeep Bains, Aatu Raty, Linus Karlsson, Cole McWard, Artus Silovs, Max Sasson; I think you have a handful of guys in Abbotsford. On top of that, you've got Jonathan Lekkerimaki and Elias Pettersson (2.0) coming in from Sweden, and maybe they are a year or two away from really competing for a roster spot."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-with-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-on-pettersson-kuzmenko-and-being-known-as-trader-pat/

I can foresee some picks going out the door, perhaps a couple 2nd tier prospects, but I don't expect them to sacrifice too much of the future given Allvin's statements above.

Edited by Randy Marsh

On 1/18/2024 at 6:38 PM, Miss Korea said:

In 10-15 years I'll visit you in a old folks' home and tell you how the Canucks won 5 cups in a row.  You'll forget it the next day anyway.  Might as well sleep happy...

Just like how the sabres and the coyotes have 5 stanley cups each with their rebuilds