How much of this teams future is this fan base willing to mortgage? But is there a bigger question to be asked first

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So to my understanding is the top prospects now are 

Lekkerimäki
Willander

I think if you want to get someone that has a meaningful impact on the team and you can sign long term you will probably have to give one of them up on top of a 1st round pick and maybe a current player (Hoglander maybe) ? 

Though Islanders got Horvat for a 1st + B Prospect + Roster Player with a huge Cap. If Vancouver can get an impactful player like Horvat that the team can resign after, that would be a steal.

So Horvat with 25% retention for Garland, Bloom and 2024 first?!? 😂

• Haha 1

We're definitely buyers at the TDL but I don't want Allvin doing anything rash and moving 1st rounders or top prospects.  For this year, they do have an outside chance at the cup but if they stand pat, they'll surely gain some valuable playoff experience.  I'm not desperate to go on a deep playoff run but if they can add an important missing piece like a top 6 winger it would be great. 

I'd like to keep all of the players who are on expiring contracts but it's pretty clear that they won't be able to re-sign them all.  The question is, could the players who they can't keep be used as rentals to bring in a needed piece?  Zadorov, Cole and DeSmith are on my list.   

I dont think the Nucks need to go big game hunting (UFA rentals).  The line up that has gotten the Canucks this far just needs a bit of tweaking.  I really think a guy like Brandon Tanev would help on Suter’s wing.  Besides, you never know what the chemistry is going to be like.

Going after a younger player like Hronek tho would be great to see tho.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

So Horvat with 25% retention for Garland, Bloom and 2024 first?!? 😂

If the team is looking for a C, I think they will go after a line driving forward, which Bo is not.

This player would likely have a better influence on the 2nd line players' performances.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Tusk said:

These sound like great Ideas but we have no cap space for it. Maybe a trade for the guy with the broken ankle first, for a pick, and we put him in LTIR till june, then we have a bit of cap. I cant remember who the player was but the contract was 4 x 4

Sillinger is cheap, just 100k more than aman over full season which is nothing. 

Other additions would need some litr stuff so fair point that it'd be hard to do but not impossible.

Sillinger is not the bj's future - fantilli and johnny g are. With Jurmo likely on way out they may look to stockpile.

7 minutes ago, tas said:

you're allowed to, but uh, I don't trust your recent track record. 

I don't make predictions of what I think they will do, just what I would do.  No chance I'd be mortgaging the future on my first trip into the post season in a long time.  I'd be happy going in with what they've got, maybe adding a cheap rental for a non 1st pick and then seeing what the off season brings.  I'd be ok moving some older prospects like Woo, Hirose, McWard, Bains etc, but no young prospect of any significance.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Other additions would need some litr stuff so fair point that it'd be hard to do but not impossible.

Sillinger is not the bj's future - fantilli and johnny g are. With Jurmo likely on way out they may look to stockpile.

I think they meant cheap to acquire

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

I think they meant cheap to acquire

His numbers are hit and miss, he's a second line center at best and has struggled. I think he'd be cheaper than guentzel.

Easier to make things work by moving kuz, i still see kuz as a big factor he just needs a center who has good offensive instincts, and we lack that if we keep big line together. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't make predictions of what I think they will do, just what I would do.  No chance I'd be mortgaging the future on my first trip into the post season in a long time.  I'd be happy going in with what they've got, maybe adding a cheap rental for a non 1st pick and then seeing what the off season brings.  I'd be ok moving some older prospects like Woo, Hirose, McWard, Bains etc, but no young prospect of any significance.  

and that's cool. I'm personally glad the current management's mindset aligns more closely with my own vision for where the team is at. 

5 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

If he's available I'd definitely hope Allvin calls about him - probably won't cost that much to re-sign but his play's trending up (already a near-top-line pace in scoring 0.44 points/ game, and his ice time has been going up these couple games).  If we want to poach a big, all-situations 2C I'd love to target him for that role.

Next I'd also hope that (if the Caps rumors are true about being interested in Kuzmenko) we can try to trade AK to them with a pick for big winger Protas and an RHD like Trevor Van Riemsdyk or Nick Jensen (who have term but aren't that pricey, and are serviceable early 30s vets). 
Other players of interest in my book would be Perron (Detroit, gritty pending UFA scoring winger who's still good at 35; I'd throw a 2nd) or Greenway (big, physical winger who doesn't score that much but has flashes of skill; his skillset would help in the playoffs; send them a 3rd?).  Other C candidates: Laughton (PHI)/ Lundell (FLA) => guys LIKE them, not them since they're probably going to be retained for their own team's playoff runs.

Re: OP, I'm not hoping to send much out in terms of blue-chip assets, but (with some asset acquisition for Kuzmenko) I'd look for a prime, re-signable second C, a big top-6 winger and a top-4 RD to replace Myers.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I won't be mortgaging much.  They've got a challenging off season ahead and they're going to need good, young players on cheap contracts going forward.

there's still room for right right type of additions. If we can get guys under 26/27 who are still RFAs or under a decent about of term (2-3 years) thats fine to bring in, particularly if we're moving Myers or Kuzy in the deal. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

what mindset is that?

acknowledging that this group has earned the opportunity to take a shot and being prepared to give them a boost in that direction.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there's still room for right right type of additions. If we can get guys under 26/27 who are still RFAs or under a decent about of term (2-3 years) thats fine to bring in, particularly if we're moving Myers or Kuzy in the deal. 

well, it sounds like Myers is off the table, but that's no surprise, but if the right deal for Kuz came down, I'd be ok for that.  However, I don't think selling low is a great move.  

I agree that some smaller adds would be fine, deals involving a 2nd, 3rd etc and maybe an older prospect.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You got to get off the Myers trade stuff it is never going to happen. Look at the mins he eats up. Trading Myers means causing another hole to fill and that hole might even be bigger and more expensive then the 2nd line hole 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

acknowledging that this group has earned the opportunity to take a shot and being prepared to give them a boost in that direction.  

I think there is two types of regular season success 

Type A, a team that was expected to make a run from the start of the season

Type B, A team that comes out of no where to

The Canucks are type B and that can give caution to any management. Also why mess with what is working 

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, it sounds like Myers is off the table, but that's no surprise, but if the right deal for Kuz came down, I'd be ok for that.  However, I don't think selling low is a great move.  

cap space is at such a premium, that 'selling low' is fine imo as long as you're better off cap wise.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree that some smaller adds would be fine, deals involving a 2nd, 3rd etc and maybe an older prospect.

I can see Podz taking over for Joshua (I don't want to see him on term here), Bluegar and Suter coming back for maybe a small raise with term, and I think Cole could come back on the same money too. Lekkerimaki and Willander won't be here for one more year in all likelihood, Ratu probably needs one more in Abby too. 

If we're ready to see Juulson take over for Myers then we don't really need to go out and make any big moves. Extending DeSmith might take up most of the remaining cap.

We pretty much have to let Myers walk. I don't know that I believe he isn't really on the trade block. 

3 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

I think there is two types of regular season success 

Type A, a team that was expected to make a run from the start of the season

Type B, A team that comes out of no where to

The Canucks are type B and that can give caution to any management. Also why mess with what is working 

you don't mess with the current chemistry. I am certainly not suggesting subtracting any major contributors. 

but you have to strike while the iron is hot. 

7 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

You got to get off the Myers trade stuff it is never going to happen. Look at the mins he eats up. Trading Myers means causing another hole to fill and that hole might even be bigger and more expensive then the 2nd line hole 

no, I don't.

I mean if the decision to leave him to walk for nothing as an own rental is the way they choose, thats fine too, I don't really care. I don't see us getting a huge haul for him. He just won't be back after this season. 

11 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

I'm onboard with keeping myers this season at this point, but if there's demand for him and you can get a positive asset, while also bringing in a chris tanev to replace him and then use the surplus cap space for another piece for this year, I feel like you have to consider that. 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Petey and Hronek not extended will keep Allvin from making a big splash IMO.  The uncertainty keeps his hands tied in case of worst case scenario. 

Must be pretty frustrating for Allvin right now.  Ironic that Petey is also hurting his team by not negotiating the contract sooner.

You can blame Benning for putting us in a position to only sign one of Petey/Hughes to a long term contract. I honestly don't think their contract negotiations will affect Allvin making trades, as he just said yesterday he'll "reward" the team for playing at a high level. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

cap space is at such a premium, that 'selling low' is fine imo as long as you're better off cap wise.

I can see Podz taking over for Joshua (I don't want to see him on term here), Bluegar and Suter coming back for maybe a small raise with term, and I think Cole could come back on the same money too. Lekkerimaki and Willander won't be here for one more year in all likelihood, Ratu probably needs one more in Abby too. 

If we're ready to see Juulson take over for Myers then we don't really need to go out and make any big moves. Extending DeSmith might take up most of the remaining cap.

We pretty much have to let Myers walk. I don't know that I believe he isn't really on the trade block. 

I don't disagree there, depending on the return.  They still have the playoffs to think about as well.  Though he's not producing,he can get hot and go scorched earth at anytime and teams have to respect that.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

You can blame Benning for putting us in a position to only sign one of Petey/Hughes to a long term contract. I honestly don't think their contract negotiations will affect Allvin making trades, as he just said yesterday he'll "reward" the team for playing at a high level. 

what does Benning have to do with that?

• Cheers 1