How much of this teams future is this fan base willing to mortgage? But is there a bigger question to be asked first

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't mind giving up any of our bottom-6 not named Hoglander and a first round pick for a top player, namely a 2nd or 3rd line solid center or top-6 winger.

I'd be choked if they gave up a 1st for a 2C or 3C.  They shouldn't be dealing their first at all, unless it's for an RFA type of player, ie Hronek

Just now, stawns said:

what does Benning have to do with that?

If you're asking this question then you're being disingenuous. His horrible signings and roster decisions made it possible for only one of those two to be signed long term. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

If you're asking this question then you're being disingenuous. His horrible signings and roster decisions made it possible for only one of those two to be signed long term. 

correct me if I'm wrong, but the core this team is built around is all Benning isn't it?  And what do other signings or trades have to do with Petey and Hughes?

Just now, stawns said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but the core this team is built around is all Benning isn't it?  And what do other signings or trades have to do with Petey and Hughes?

Maxing out the salary cap with a bunch of dead cap while being a bottom feeder his entire tenure is why. Come on man this really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Maxing out the salary cap with a bunch of dead cap while being a bottom feeder his entire tenure is why. Come on man this really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. 

well, the main dead cap expense is OEL and that's not Benning, that's the new group.  Luongo was dead cap, but you can pin that on the league and Gillis, not Benning.  You could put Loui on him, but that's about it.

Ultimately, it was Covid that caused the cap problems for Van much more than Benning.  When you break it all down, he had a pretty solid progression for the cap before covid hit and then the flat cap completely messed that up.

If we're talking about a Rental that can play the 2C, I'd be talking to the Habs about Sean Monahan. He's only making around $2 million per and is UFA next year. Could be a good guy to plug into the lineup, without upsetting things too much.

Shouldn't cost all that much either, considering his UFA status.

I like Henrique and Lindholm as well, but I'd prefer dealing out of the conference, if possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If we're talking about a Rental that can play the 2C, I'd be talking to the Habs about Sean Monahan. He's only making around $2 million per and is UFA next year. Could be a good guy to plug into the lineup, without upsetting things too much.

Shouldn't cost all that much either, considering his UFA status.

I like Henrique and Lindholm as well, but I'd prefer dealing out of the conference, if possible.

How come?

3 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I really want to keep this D group together this year and going forward. Yes, that includes Myers at a reasonable cost. 

I used to believe our smallish defensemen could make up for size mismatches by being fleet of foot, sound positionally, great with their stick, etc. While that is the case for some, it honestly just isn’t the case for many (or at least wasn’t the case for many of our previous undersized dmen). When compared to the shut down stability that our current mutants on the blue line bring, I pick this set up every time. This is the most confident I’ve been in defensemen since our cup run. 

I have been saying this for a long time that we were not going to go far with our smallish, non-physical defenseman. I really thought Myers was going to be a start of something great but he didn't play to his strengths for most of his time here. 

I also wanted Zad before Calgary grabbed him. 

I have seen what a Chara or a Byfuglin or a Pronger does for a team in the playoffs.

I have seen a Stevens and Neidermayer combination dominate for years and years.

I am pretty confident with our D right now too however I am not sure how Hughes and Hronek are going to do as a pair in the playoffs. When it gets rough and nasty, I am hoping we can pair them up with Zad and Soucy to give them the added physicality, we shall see. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

How come?

If we happen to trade Calgary or Anaheim a player that turns out to be a stud, I'd rather not face him on a regular basis.

It's not a deal breaker, but if I had a choice, that's what I'd prefer.

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If we happen to trade Calgary or Anaheim a player that turns out to be a stud, I'd rather not face him on a regular basis.

It's not a deal breaker, but if I had a choice, that's what I'd prefer.

I dont see the Canucks dealing a top prospect, especially for a rental or 2/3C.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dont see the Canucks dealing a top prospect, especially for a rental or 2/3C.

Yeah, it's probably just paranoia, but I always have visions of guys we traded coming back into our barn and lighting us up. Call it the Jared McCann syndrome...

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, it's probably just paranoia, but I always have visions of guys we traded coming back into our barn and lighting us up. Call it the Jared McCann syndrome...

I'd never worry about that, personally, if I got the player I wanted.  Regardless, they won't be trading that level of player I don't think.

I think the fan base will come to realize, making some assumptions here of course, that we possibly have a convergence of a HOF Norris defenseman, HOF Vezina goalie, HOF Selke Center... Whether or not we capture a championship, once these guys start collecting hardware, their salaries will become HOF worthy.

So unless we do it now somehow, adding players of any value and the salary that comes with, will rapidly become unsustainable...

We will have to rely on ELC contracts and churn out players that force a trade once they develop, simply due the financial constraints our star players will command.

If you want to build a long term competitive team we will need to invest in scouting and drafting, these proposed 4-6 million dollar players will become a pipe dream...

Edited by canuck73
typo
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree there, depending on the return.  They still have the playoffs to think about as well.  Though he's not producing,he can get hot and go scorched earth at anytime and teams have to respect that.  

I'm ok with Tocc trying to turn Kuzy into a complete player.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

My biggest fear is that Ownership pushes the management to do something stupid. JR isn't a young guy anymore neither he may have win now mentality as well

If there is anyone since AQ bought the team who is able to stand up to ownership it is Jim Rutherford.  So I do not share this fear.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Do not trade IMO:

Raty

Lekkerimaki

Willander

D-Petey

Brzustewicz

Silovs

Every other prospect is on the table

Translation: In your opinion don't trade any of our top 6 prospects.  Ok fair enough.  But that doesn't leave much in the holster to trade with if you want to improve the team this year. Question is how close are the nux to competing for a cup this year?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Translation: In your opinion don't trade any of our top 6 prospects.  Ok fair enough.  But that doesn't leave much in the holster to trade with if you want to improve the team this year. Question is how close are the nux to competing for a cup this year?

We are the Cup favourites. Our core is better than any other team’s core. 

Just now, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

This mentality is laughable the Canucks most hardened playoff seasoned player is Ian Cole just to put things in perspective 

Which team has a better core five than ours?

Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller

Accept the reality we are Cup favourites. 
Now bow 🙇‍♀️ and kneel to the Empties and repent. 

50 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

I think the fan base will come to realize, making some assumptions here of course, that we possibly have a convergence of a HOF Norris defenseman, HOF Vezina goalie, HOF Selke Center... Whether or not we capture a championship, once these guys start collecting hardware, their salaries will become HOF worthy.

So unless we do it now somehow, adding players of any value and the salary that comes with, will rapidly become unsustainable...

We will have to rely on ELC contracts and churn out players that force a trade once they develop, simply due the financial constraints our star players will command.

If you want to build a long term competitive team we will need to invest in scouting and drafting, these proposed 4-6 million dollar players will become a pipe dream...

The two bolded parts contradict each other doing it now means The team mortgages it's future which means not having the best ELC players available. This years 1st round pick or picks we have already gotten. After the first round top 5 picks, no pick is guaranteed no matter how much a team invests in scouting. So which is it go in now or develop our top end ELC players you really can't have it both ways 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which team has a better core five than ours?

Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller

Accept the reality we are Cup favourites. 
Now bow 🙇‍♀️ and kneel to the Empties and repent. 

This is an easy reply for me because I already answered the same question that someone else asked so copy and paste.

History shows that teams that have already had playoff experience and past success win Cups. I'm not saying every team that has had playoff success win cups but those teams that can take it to the next level.

Currently those teams are 

Vegas (so much playoff success it's ridicules) , Col (Mackinnon and their depth), Winn ( is a team that I'm keeping an eye on they could be due for some serious playoff breakthrough and they have the piece's of a winning team but their special teams hurt them TBL and Bos ( you just can't count these to teams out they could place 1st or 8th it doesn't matter experience goes a long way) Rangers are up there as well. LA to a lesser extent.

By no means am I saying they can't beat these teams but we all know that the playoffs are a different beast and my guess is that if the Canucks make it to the third round they are going to be playing a team that is by far more playoff experienced then them and by some chance they get past the third round and make it to the Stanley Cup final many factors will play a role in who wins. Health, for sure. But let's say it is a team like TBL currently 8th in the eastern conference does that make them an easier opponent how about Pitt currently out of a playoff spot does it make it easier? Pitt is a harden playoff team their down side is age but it is also very much a benefit not a single player other than Cole has. Just think of that the most experienced playoff harden player the Canucks has is Ian Cole.  

Just now, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

This is an easy reply for me because I already answered the same question that someone else asked so copy and paste.

History shows that teams that have already had playoff experience and past success win Cups. I'm not saying every team that has had playoff success win cups but those teams that can take it to the next level.

Currently those teams are 

Vegas (so much playoff success it's ridicules) , Col (Mackinnon and their depth), Winn ( is a team that I'm keeping an eye on they could be due for some serious playoff breakthrough and they have the piece's of a winning team but their special teams hurt them TBL and Bos ( you just can't count these to teams out they could place 1st or 8th it doesn't matter experience goes a long way) Rangers are up there as well. LA to a lesser extent.

By no means am I saying they can't beat these teams but we all know that the playoffs are a different beast and my guess is that if the Canucks make it to the third round they are going to be playing a team that is by far more playoff experienced then them and by some chance they get past the third round and make it to the Stanley Cup final many factors will play a role in who wins. Health, for sure. But let's say it is a team like TBL currently 8th in the eastern conference does that make them an easier opponent how about Pitt currently out of a playoff spot does it make it easier? Pitt is a harden playoff team their down side is age but it is also very much a benefit not a single player other than Cole has. Just think of that the most experienced playoff harden player the Canucks has is Ian Cole.  

63FFE88C-F02B-4AE7-A6BC-6E18F4F063F1.gif.ee2779b99a4edba666441d48b286e778.gif