How much of this teams future is this fan base willing to mortgage? But is there a bigger question to be asked first

1 minute ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

Cup favorite no 

The question is how high is their Cup chance I say 1 in 16 maybe 1 in 10

The Empties say we are the Cup favourites. The Empties have been predicting a great season from before the start. 
Bow 🙇‍♀️ and kneel to the empties. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So to my understanding is the top prospects now are 

Lekkerimäki
Willander

I think if you want to get someone that has a meaningful impact on the team and you can sign long term you will probably have to give one of them up on top of a 1st round pick and maybe a current player (Hoglander maybe) ? 

Though Islanders got Horvat for a 1st + B Prospect + Roster Player with a huge Cap. If Vancouver can get an impactful player like Horvat that the team can resign after, that would be a steal.

From a prospects standpoint, I would consider the following to be untouchables:

Willander - we need depth at RD too much

I think they will try not to part with D-Petty, Lekkerimaki and Brzustewicz

I would say all other picks and prospects are on the table. I actually think they would easily part with Lekkerimaki in the right deal. 

I really hope Allvin, doesn't sell his premium picks. a regular season win is not the same when compared to a playoff series.... The Canucks have been "all-in" ever since Mr Aquillini bought the team and we had seen the results from the previous FO's - due to their shortsightedness of chasing a playoff spot vs building a Cup contender through drafting & development. Anyway, let's see how Allvins' version will turn out.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd be choked if they gave up a 1st for a 2C or 3C.  They shouldn't be dealing their first at all, unless it's for an RFA type of player, ie Hronek

Usually I'd agree but this is a fairly average draft we're going into, especially in the bottom half, and we'll surely be picking 28-32nd overall which is basically a 2nd rounder in most other drafts. I'd try and use the "status" of saying we're giving up a first round pick when really it's probably only going to fetch us an average player, rather than a future top-6 forward/top-4 defenceman. I know it'd be nice to keep rolling through drafts and generating good internal players but it's a balance between doing that and striking when the iron is hot, and right now we're just about leading the league for the first time in over a decade.

I'd be keen to go a little it in, certainly not all-in by trading prospects but our 1st this year is probably less valuable than a lot of our prospects who are all in the 5-15th overall position.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, stawns said:

well, the main dead cap expense is OEL and that's not Benning, that's the new group.  Luongo was dead cap, but you can pin that on the league and Gillis, not Benning.  You could put Loui on him, but that's about it.

Ultimately, it was Covid that caused the cap problems for Van much more than Benning.  When you break it all down, he had a pretty solid progression for the cap before covid hit and then the flat cap completely messed that up.

Dementia is a bitch.

At the time Benning could only get Hughes to a long contract and had to give Petey a shorter one.

think about it… Only a mill or so was the difference and Benning was capped out.

Stop blaming Covid. Every single team in NHL had the same problem and they were not whining as Bennings followers.

Probably the best way to figure out what JR/PA will do in the next 2 months is to look at past history.

JR traded his 2015 1st round pick for David Perron

JR traded his 2016  1st round pick in a package for Phil Kessel

JR traded his 2017 1st round pick for Ryan Reaves plus a 2nd

JR traded his 2018 1st round pick in a package for Vince Dunn

JR traded his 2020 1st round pick in a package for Kasperi Kapanen

JR traded his 2021 1st round pick in a package for Jason Zucker

Not sure what happened in 2019, JR must have been sick that year and forgot about trading the pick...

Notice a pattern here?  It's pretty obvious our 2024 and 2025 1st round picks are in play for the right player...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

We're definitely buyers at the TDL but I don't want Allvin doing anything rash and moving 1st rounders or top prospects.  For this year, they do have an outside chance at the cup but if they stand pat, they'll surely gain some valuable playoff experience.  I'm not desperate to go on a deep playoff run but if they can add an important missing piece like a top 6 winger it would be great. 

I'd like to keep all of the players who are on expiring contracts but it's pretty clear that they won't be able to re-sign them all.  The question is, could the players who they can't keep be used as rentals to bring in a needed piece?  Zadorov, Cole and DeSmith are on my list.   

Very doubtful they trade away any starting D or the back up goalie... Maybe if they trade for another D, but can't see DeSmith being part of any trade... he is partly the reason we are , where we are...

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Unless management thinks Petey is leaving, in which case they may as well go full in, I doubt they will be doing anything that involves Lekki or Willander...

In the end, JR/PA has been around a long time, and they will know, what will be available at TDL, and more importantly at what cost.

With OELs buy out cap starting to accumulate from next season, they are well aware the first window may be closing fast, before reopening in 3 years.

And lets not forget, the management team isn't knowing for standing pat, if there is a deal available... It will be an interesting time leading up to TDL...

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably the best way to figure out what JR/PA will do in the next 2 months is to look at past history.

Not sure what happened in 2019, JR must have been sick that year and forgot about trading the pick...

Notice a pattern here?  It's pretty obvious our 2024 and 2025 1st round picks are in play for the right player...

Great call @Elias Pettersson....  One have to think the money is on a trade coming up.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Dementia is a bitch.

At the time Benning could only get Hughes to a long contract and had to give Petey a shorter one.

think about it… Only a mill or so was the difference and Benning was capped out.

Stop blaming Covid. Every single team in NHL had the same problem and they were not whining as Bennings followers.

That's not really something to joke about, a lot of people here have close family who have suffered through it or are suffering through it. 

I'm sure you can come up with a better personal insult that doesn't make light of one of the most horrible things a person and their family can go through

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Unless management thinks Petey is leaving, in which case they may as well go full in, I doubt they will be doing anything that involves Lekki or Willander...

In the end, JR/PA has been around a long time, and they will know, what will be available at TDL, and more importantly at what cost.

With OELs buy out cap starting to accumulate from next season, they are well aware the first window may be closing fast, before reopening in 3 years.

And lets not forget, the management team isn't knowing for standing pat, if there is a deal available... It will be an inter useesting time leading up to TDL...

I think players like Bains, Karlsson, Silovs, woo, hirosr, mcward etc would all be in play and I'd have no issue using them to try and get some help.  However they shouldnt be dealing anyone who might be stepping up in the next 2 years and they shouldn't be dealing their first, imo.

There's a better than good chance their going to lose at least one significant player off their roster during the off season (multiple is more likely) and they're going to need podz, lek, willander, raty to step in with cheap contracts.

They're also going to probably some, or most, of their expiring contracts walk to UFA in the off season as well

It's going to be a high wire act at the tdl and I'm interested to see how they handle it

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's not really something to joke about, a lot of people here have close family who have suffered through it or are suffering through it. 

I'm sure you can come up with a better personal insult that doesn't make light of one of the most horrible things a person and their family can go through

How people handle dementia is very personal.

I won’t have a problem if I get it.

It’s just life. And life is easier to live if you understand it. I understand dementia.

So if not dementia, was it a deliberate thing you did when you tried to mislead the poster you talked with? 
And if so, why? 
You really think it’s better to mislead people deliberately than someone being honest using the word dementia? 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR is president, NOT GM.

JR will be a voice in the room, not the one pulling the trigger.

PA seems to have learned as GM. I am hopeful he has learned from past mistakes in both drafting and development.

I think our AGM's and our scouts have as much input as JR perhaps even more so.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

JR is president, NOT GM.

PA seems to have learned as GM. I am hopeful he has learned from past mistakes in both drafting and development.

Yup. Big difference from the Benning/Brod era, where those two controlled everything. No one else spoke up, and if they did they were forced out. 

16 hours ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

The two bolded parts contradict each other doing it now means The team mortgages it's future which means not having the best ELC players available. This years 1st round pick or picks we have already gotten. After the first round top 5 picks, no pick is guaranteed no matter how much a team invests in scouting. So which is it go in now or develop our top end ELC players you really can't have it both ways 

Not really. Once we have our structure in place ie our top players on 10mill plus contracts, there is no real way to add a 4-5 million dollar player to help with playoffs, we will have to rely on good drafting to provide impact players on ELC. 

When I said unless we do it now "somehow" you left that un bolded... when our star players are still on bridge deals, it may be our only shot to do something along those lines. 

We are already pretty capped out, add in the OEL dead cap coming, raises for petey and hronek... will almost be impossible to take on salary... never mind upcoming contracts like demko etc 

I guess my point is we will not be able to mortgage the future going forward... even if you wanted to. We will not have the kuzmenkos etc etc to trade away because we will not be able to afford that sort of depth I the coming years. Imho of course.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

JR is president, NOT GM.

And you know this how?  Are you in the room every day?  You actually think JR has zero influence on trades?  He’s going to leave everything to his rookie GM and 100 AGM’s?  

JR is literally the godfather of the Canucks. EVERYTHING goes through him. He literally rebuilt the entire organization by himself. He will only leave it in the hands of others when he feels they are all ready. Then he will retire. Hopefully we will have won a cup by then. 

Also, Pittsburgh won 2 cups. So you can’t really call it a mistake to trade draft picks. The object is to win the Stanley Cup not collect draft picks. I would gladly trade our next 5 1st round picks if it means we are guaranteed to win two cups. Pretty sure everyone would agree on that. 

• Cheers 1

I am not willing to sell our farm just to get one rental unless it's a late round pick.  I mean, we already made so many trades that deplete our draft pick stock.  I would give them a chance to make the noise and they certainly should be given a shot to prove how good they are in the playoffs without sacrifice the future.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I think players like Bains, Karlsson, Silovs, woo, hirosr, mcward etc would all be in play and I'd have no issue using them to try and get some help.  However they shouldnt be dealing anyone who might be stepping up in the next 2 years and they shouldn't be dealing their first, imo.

There's a better than good chance their going to lose at least one significant player off their roster during the off season (multiple is more likely) and they're going to need podz, lek, willander, raty to step in with cheap contracts.

They're also going to probably some, or most, of their expiring contracts walk to UFA in the off season as well

It's going to be a high wire act at the tdl and I'm interested to see how they handle it

Yeah pretty much agree on this, although I think there are more players in play. I'm also not too concerned about this years 1st round pick.... 

It will 'hopefully' be a very late first round pick, and I think this management team has shown an ability, to make smart moves for cheap/cheapish contracts... so I think they'll be good at keeping the cap costs down.

However, if they feel this will be Peteys final year as a Canuck, or they feel they know the move that could move them over the top, then by all means do it, as long as it doesn't involve our 2 top prospects.

There will be a mini rebuild to be done over the summer, but it is not going to be for massive players, so we will have 1 more season to make a push, before serious decisions have to be made (at least that's how I see it)...

And yes there will be departure of good players during the summer... but rather that, than being saddled with contracts for 3-4 years with players, who doesn't live up to expectations.

It is definitely going to be an interesting time leading up to the TDL and off season as well... Luckily, we seem to have an excellent management team in place to make those decisions.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And you know this how?  Are you in the room every day?  You actually think JR has zero influence on trades?  He’s going to leave everything to his rookie GM and 100 AGM’s?  

JR is literally the godfather of the Canucks. EVERYTHING goes through him. He literally rebuilt the entire organization by himself. He will only leave it in the hands of others when he feels they are all ready. Then he will retire. Hopefully we will have won a cup by then. 

Also, Pittsburgh won 2 cups. So you can’t really call it a mistake to trade draft picks. The object is to win the Stanley Cup not collect draft picks. I would gladly trade our next 5 1st round picks if it means we are guaranteed to win two cups. Pretty sure everyone would agree on that. 

What part of voice in the room is zero influence?

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The pattern is Stanley Cup(s) followed by disgraceful exits.  Look at some of those Hurricanes teams of the early 2010s.  Oof.

Always take part 1 of Trader Jim.  Never take part 2.