Hughes is finally getting the recognition he deserves

HKSR

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

When a Makar apologist like myself admits to Hughes having a vastly better season, it is bizarre to see others here suggesting they're still toe-to-toe.

Unreal.... 😲

On 1/17/2024 at 11:29 AM, Miss Korea said:

Makar has not had as strong of a year as the one before.  Injuries have affected his play a bit, especially on defence.  He is still an electric player who frequently goes off for 3 points a night, but he's also made some notable defensive gaffes (rare as they are).  They're not going to rank him above Hughes this year.

image.png.515f06dadaa6e827ca3f48c5a0092693.png

Quinn Hughes went from being an elite transition playmaker last year to some kind of alien monster this year.  His play really started to pick up around this time last season, when Tocchet took over.  Before then, he was putting up points but the rest lagged behind.

A year ago:

image.png.d58ee50c0aee0d6b9fabe86d49ce81d2.png 

Versus:

image.png.b0a0ab53326ac1cb123a7f77a98ff4e9.png

homerism aside Makar strength of competition prolly have him a leg up on hughes if everything is equal by the end of season

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

When a Makar apologist like myself admits to Hughes having a vastly better season, it is bizarre to see others here suggesting they're still toe-to-toe.

I think the stupidest argument that I see people making is Makar is producing just as much with less time with the puck.  Well he’s on the ice more than Quinn Hughes, but touches the puck less so that means he’s impacting the game less

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I think the stupidest argument that I see people making is Makar is producing just as much with less time with the puck.  Well he’s on the ice more than Quinn Hughes, but touches the puck less so that means he’s impacting the game less

hughes controls the entire game unlike any other player I've had the privilege of watching.

9 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The thing is, Makar really isn't producing as much.  All they see are points.  He isn't producing as much offence, and he certainly isn't producing as much defence right now. 

You don't necessarily need to be a puck hog like Hughes to influence the game.  Makar has one of the most effective D-men in the NHL as a partner - Devon Toews.  Filip Hronek is a fantastic player in his own right but doesn't hold a candle to what Toews brings to the table.  It makes sense that Makar can defer more responsibility to Toews, and not have to control the puck all the time.

The real reason why Hughes is better is because he generates more scoring chances than Makar, and he suppresses more scoring chances against than Makar.  He is a better defender THIS year, which never used to be the case in the past.  #43 has improved his defensive game every year, and now he is almost flawless in his own zone.  He can prevent zine entry.  He can nullify rushes.  He can retrieve and clear the puck without fail.  The only thing he's always struggled with is man-marking in front of the net.  Compare that to Makar this season, who is starting to wilt defensively (probably because he and Toews are the only good/healthy D-men).