PGT - Arizona at Vancouver - 01/18/2024

PhillipBlunt

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Imagine how bad defensively you have to be to get 2 goals in a game and finish a minus 2.  

Screenshot_20240119-125453.png

I believe one of those goals was on the power play so doesnt count against +/-

but thats still 3 goals against

Just now, Johnny said:

Exactly 

every team is coming to play when they play against the canucks

But regardless, the canucks can still upgrade their top 6

bring in a centerman and potentially promote hogz to the second line and get rid of kuz for his sake

I agree,.  But I think we may not have to give up much to bring the right player .

New Jersey will go to the TDL this. Year to see if they will or will not make the playoffs.

Perhaps an injury away from the latter.

Toffoli is a UFA this year ,. A prospect and a pick ( 3rd?rnd) .

Id look at Toffoli s a rental that takes us deeper into action as scoring asset, with Playoff/ Cup experience..  he has had chemistry here before.

We have D prospects, not World Class , but NHL ready in Woolanin and Juulsen that might fit that move at that time.

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure I agree with that, if they were closer to the 7-8 spot I'd agree but they've built themselves a comfortable cushion. It's not playoff hockey every night, the stakes aren't as high because they're not really at risk of losing their spot, it's them trying to consistently maintain good habits. 

Teams want to step up against top teams in the league, that's nothing new, doesn't make it playoff hockey every night. 

The Oil, Kraken, and Flames have been playing hockey more akin to playoff hockey every night, the stakes have been higher for them given the holes they've been trying to dig themselves out of. 

What I do agree with is that this season has been an ongoing lesson for both players and staff, that's part of the whole maintaining good habits bit. This is a team who's still showing growing pains at times despite their record, that's part of transitioning from a team who hasn't been a playoff team to a team trying to step towards being a playoff regular. This isn't a group that's experienced a whole lot of playoff hockey, and I don't believe they're going to jump from say.. G or H to Z. 

Regardless of what happens come playoff time this season will be a success if they make the playoffs, that's a big step forward from being mediocre or stuck in no man's land. The first step towards becoming a playoff regular, and then maybe more, is breaking the streak of playoff misses. I view this season as a transition season, I'm not really expecting a cup, but sometimes you have to lose in the playoffs and play meaningful hockey down the stretch to learn. 

We saw that in the late 2000's, had to go through the ringer a bit come playoff time before going deep. Most teams have to do their time losing in the playoffs, beating their heads against the playoff wall before breaking through. We've seen it repeatedly with most cup winners over the past decade. But the only way to get that experience is to be there, we're on track to be there. 

The playoff part im sure refers to the game our opponents bring

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I agree,.  But I think we may not have to give up much to bring the right player .

New Jersey will go to the TDL this. Year to see if they will or will not make the playoffs.

Perhaps an injury away from the latter.

Toffoli is a UFA this year ,. A prospect and a pick ( 3rd?rnd) .

Id look at Toffoli s a rental that takes us deeper into action as scoring asset, with Playoff/ Cup experience..  he has had chemistry here before.

We have D prospects, not World Class , but NHL ready in Woolanin and Juulsen that might fit that move at that time.

For a rental Toffoli would be great

hes also player and succeeded in a sutter system so i doubt he would find tocchetts system hard to pick up

toffoli in kuz out is a huge upgrade

if we were to get a center like lindholm, it would need to be either affordable or a sign and trade with no more than 5.5 and kuz going the other way, not a rental to justify the cost

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

hes also player and succeeded in a sutter system so i doubt he would find tocchetts system hard to pick up

if we were to get a center like lindholm, it would need to be either affordable or a sign and trade with no more than 5.5 and kuz going the other way, not a rental to justify the cost

I don't understand the hype around acquiring a winger, we have many wingers in the pipeline that are looking to take spots next year and it makes no sense to bring in a veteran winger with salary or even a rental. If you want to make a move, you make a move for a cost-controlled young center, those are players you give up assets for.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It’s our first season after years of  disappointment and a re-tool..

Im just excited to be in. The position we are.

Id give Kuz , the benefit of the rest of this season , and playoff hockey to shake the monkey..  it’s bad puck luck right now.

We we’re patient with Boeser for 3 seasons,

after last seasons “showing” for Kuz.. 

mid give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

I don't understand the hype around acquiring a winger, we have many wingers in the pipeline that are looking to take spots next year and it makes no sense to bring in a veteran winger with salary or even a rental. If you want to make a move, you make a move for a cost-controlled young center, those are players you give up assets for.

Cost controlled with term hopefully. And if you look at our current roster, we have 8 centers, 3 LW and 3 RW so not sure why everyone is talking about a 2C.... we should try them all out in the 2C position till Kuzy and Mik click with someone.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Depth..    let’s remember playoffs are a totally different type of game, along with officiating.

This would be depth move to keep us fresher, take us deeper,  which is gainful experience after years without playoff hockey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Depth..    let’s remember playoffs are a totally different type of game, along with officiating.

This would be depth move to keep us fresher, take us deeper,  which is gainful experience after years without playoff hockey.

didnt we have playoffs in the bubble? In fact, the whole covid season was like playoffs, only playing canadian teams all year.

I think we will do fine... but lets see how we handle Toronto tomorrow ha ha ha. Leafs are HUNGRY and that will be a playoff game.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

It's probably easier to find a winger than a center though. Not a lot of quality centers on the market right now. Particularly young, cost controlled centers. 

Maybe things change, but there's a lot of teams within striking range of the 6-8 spots in each conference right now and if that continues there may simply just be fewer sellers. 

It's probably easier to try and play Pettersson and Miller seperately and focus on improving upon one of Petey's wingers, particularly if management views Pettersson as a center more than a wing.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd say the 2010-2011 group had a huge edge at 3C too

We don't have anything close to a 1-2 shutdown combo of peak Kesler and Malhotra, which isn't to disparage our current group, I wish we did 

Malhotra was a special defensive player and a faceoff ace, if he hadn't gotten that eye injury who knows what might have been

If Miller and Petey keep playing together then for sure the 2010-11 team has the edge on C. Even playing separate they probably do.

Miller

Sutr

Bluegar

Aman

is no where close to as good as

H.Sedin

Kesler

Malhotra

Lappierre

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

Cost controlled with term hopefully. And if you look at our current roster, we have 8 centers, 3 LW and 3 RW so not sure why everyone is talking about a 2C.... we should try them all out in the 2C position till Kuzy and Mik click with someone.

Agree.

Sometimes the the “position” a player is designated ,  IS NOT the position the Team plays in its systems.

The game has evolved to Roving on movement, and flow..  watch how the players rotate on there offensive work.

It’s not only a game of square formations,  Triangular outlets are made offensively and defensively,. 
Now more of “Circular Circuits” are used.

Players are looking for lanes and swapping to create failures to opponents..

and doing it fast.

This team dosent stand still anymore.

Beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

If Miller and Petey keep playing together then for sure the 2010-11 team has the edge on C. Even playing separate they probably do.

Miller

Sutr

Bluegar

Aman

is no where close to as good as

H.Sedin

Kesler

Malhotra

Lappierre

Yet it nosedives when Manny got the eye injury.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Agree.

Sometimes the the “position” a player is designated ,  IS NOT the position the Team plays in its systems.

The game has evolved to Roving on movement, and flow..  watch how the players rotate on there offensive work.

It’s not only a game of square formations,  Triangular outlets are made offensively and defensively,. 
Now more of “Circular Circuits” are used.

Players are looking for lanes and swapping to create failures to opponents..

and doing it fast.

This team dosent stand still anymore.

Beautiful.

you notice how easy Joshua takes and wins the faceoffs when Teddy waived out? He is a center. I would like to see him up with Kuz and Mik

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Yep..this exactly. The only other good move would POSSIBLY be an upgrade at #2 RHD. But, once again, we are good this year IMHO; the move would be looking towards 24/25 and would nix a Myers resigning. As with Wingers, we have alot of RHD talent in the pipe that should be able to make the step to 6/7th Dman next year.

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

you notice how easy Joshua takes and wins the faceoffs when Teddy waived out? He is a center. I would like to see him up with Kuz and Mik

Said it myself earlier this season,.

playoff hockey is the next round that might bring line alterations..

but sticking to what we have now is ship running high and fast.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's probably easier to find a winger than a center though. Not a lot of quality centers on the market right now. Particularly young, cost controlled centers. 

Maybe things change, but there's a lot of teams within striking range of the 6-8 spots in each conference right now and if that continues there may simply just be fewer sellers. 

It's probably easier to try and play Pettersson and Miller seperately and focus on improving upon one of Petey's wingers, particularly if management views Pettersson as a center more than a wing.

Agreed, but the way I see it, if Petey or Miller get hurt for a game or two in the playoffs, we're basically done because we have no replacements in those positions. If we acquire a 2C, at least we have the assurance that we can run all four lines. Wingers imo are still easy to replace in these situations.

All we can do is play our best every game. Been a few lately, for whatever reason, we haven't been; Well getting caught in a snow storm and having virtually 

no sleep doesn't  count..got that pal? you know who you are 🤒.  Point is, we're still winning..

It will, most likely be harder to play most teams moving forward from this point, for a plenitude of reasons;  Obviously trying to make the playoffs. Trying

to get better as a team even though their playoff chances are in the dumpster. Wanting the the highest seeding possible for the post season. 

Money, for new contracts. Getting a high draft seed.

We are somehow keeping up and winning games, ugly some times, but winning them.  Do I truly think we're a team that can go deep into the playoffs?

Fu You better believe it..

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Agreed, but the way I see it, if Petey or Miller get hurt for a game or two in the playoffs, we're basically done because we have no replacements in those positions. If we acquire a 2C, at least we have the assurance that we can run all four lines. Wingers imo are still easy to replace in these situations.

I don't disagree, but realistically most teams around the league don't have the depth to sufficiently be prepared to lose a Miller or Pettersson caliber center 

I understand the argument for wanting a 2C, but I'm not sure that's realistic sooner than later whereas Allvin will have to navigate a trade deadline sooner than later

May be more flexibility to improve the center depth in the offseason 

I think management would prefer Pettersson and Miller down the middle with and having two top six lines going imo, but that's just my two cents, it's easier to shut down a super line than two legit top 6 lines come playoff time

I'm also operating under the assumption Pettersson extends and plays primarily as a center though 

Edited by Coconuts

41 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s our first season after years of  disappointment and a re-tool..

Im just excited to be in. The position we are.

Id give Kuz , the benefit of the rest of this season , and playoff hockey to shake the monkey..  it’s bad puck luck right now.

We we’re patient with Boeser for 3 seasons,

after last seasons “showing” for Kuz.. 

mid give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's not just bad puck luck. He simply does not move his feet enough. Whether it is conditioning or lack of awareness, he is regularly on the wrong side of the puck. 

Not saying this specifically of you, but too many Canuck fans cling on to Kuzmenko because he has an extremely likeable personality. I don't disagree, but that's not enough to overlook the mistakes that he makes. And yes, Hronek et al. make mistakes too, but too often Kuzmenko is on the wrong side of things. 

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't disagree, but realistically most teams around the league don't have the depth to sufficiently be prepared to lose a Miller or Pettersson caliber center 

I understand the argument for wanting a 2C, but I'm not sure that's realistic sooner than later whereas Allvin will have to navigate a trade deadline sooner than later

May be more flexibility to improve the center depth in the offseason 

I think management would prefer Pettersson and Miller down the middle with and having two top six lines going imo, but that's just my two cents, it's easier to shut down a super line than two legit top 6 lines come playoff time

I'm also operating under the assumption Pettersson extends and plays primarily as a center though 

We actually have more centers than wingers this year Coconut.

They have been playing on the wing because we have too many.

And Joshua's faceoff percentage is better than Petey's, by the way. And better than Lafferty, Aman... I think if he had a better opportunity Joshua can impress even you.

Player Season Team Pos GP FO FOW FOL FOW%
J.T. Miller 20232024 VAN C 45 876 478 398 54.6
Teddy Blueger 20232024 VAN C 31 431 223 208 51.7
Pius Suter 20232024 VAN C 31 285 143 142 50.2
Dakota Joshua 20232024 VAN C 44 53 26 27 49.1
Elias Pettersson 20232024 VAN C 45 443 215 228 48.5
Nils Aman 20232024 VAN C 22 96 43 53 44.8
Sam Lafferty 20232024 VAN C 45 216 82 134 38
Jack Studnicka 20232024 VAN,SJS C 5 11 4 7 36.4
Linus Karlsson 20232024 VAN C 4 9 2 7 22.2

1 minute ago, Down By the River said:

It's not just bad puck luck. He simply does not move his feet enough. Whether it is conditioning or lack of awareness, he is regularly on the wrong side of the puck. 

Not saying this specifically of you, but too many Canuck fans cling on to Kuzmenko because he has an extremely likeable personality. I don't disagree, but that's not enough to overlook the mistakes that he makes. And yes, Hronek et al. make mistakes too, but too often Kuzmenko is on the wrong side of things. 

I'm concerned that jaw injury has concussion like symptoms tied to it. It would explain a few things. Depression, lack of focus, headaches.

It has also made him more cautious around the net. I'm hoping if this is the case, time will correct it. It seems more than just a really bad sophomore jinx.

• Upvote 1