PGT - Arizona at Vancouver - 01/18/2024

PhillipBlunt

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe on the low end as a middle six tweener, but a top six center? I dunno about that. Sometimes players get a chance to show if they're capable of more when injuries occur, hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Losing Pettersson or Miller probably wouldn't have us at risk of losing out on a playoff spot or anything, but it would absolutely hurt and we'd be hard pressed to replace either player internally. I get that this is also part of the argument for looking for a 2C, but it's hard for be prepared to everything under cap constraints. Most teams are going to feel the loss of a legit top six center.

Whoops, just read my comment and  didn't word it too great.  Yes, expecting Joshua to be a top 6 center would be a stretch (at this point).  I wouldn't plan for it, but if there was a short term injury it would be an interesting experiment.

• Cheers 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/liam-o-brien-fined-maximum-for-actions-in-arizona-coyotes-game

O'Brien fined maximum for actions in Coyotes game

Forward disciplined $2,018.23 for roughing Canucks forward Lafferty

NEW YORK – Arizona Coyotes forward Liam O'Brien has been fined $2,018.23, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for roughing Vancouver Canucks forward Sam Lafferty during NHL Game No. 700 in Vancouver on Thursday, Jan. 18, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 5:26 of the first period. O'Brien was assessed a minor penalty for roughing.

The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Kuz will bounce back like Boes. I guess I'm saying get what you can for Mik instead. As a cap dump and use that cap for an upgrade.

Not so sure, I think he might have just had a career year right off the hop

Boeser's overall game is also better

Mikheyev also brings elements of speed and savvy Kuz doesn't 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I don't think it's the 2nd line anymore.  The "no name line" produces far more regular and has been for a lot longer a time period.  And the 3rd line Kuzy, Suter and Mikheyev isn't working for 1 reason, because Kuzy doesn't want to go to the front of the net.  It's dangerous going to the net yes but that's what he's being paid $5.5 mill for.  He had no problem going to the net last year.  Looks like Jim R isn't in a rush to trade him though and I agree he's playing with no confidence.

He just doesn't look like much of a fit under Tochett

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I like their D better. I'd take Edler, Erhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Salo over our current group in a seven game series despite lacking a Hughes caliber offensive D.

Their center depth throughout their top three lines was better. Sedin, Kesler, Malhotra. 

Prime aged Luongo could absolutely match Demko despite being a Jekyll and Hyde bit at times. 

It was one of the most statistically dominant teams in the modern era. 

Dunno, that team had it's characters too.

Bieksa, Torres, Higgins, Hansen, Kesler, Burr, Lapierre, Rome, Alberts, Samuelsson, Glass, Rypien, Volpatti, Oreskovich. Even Hamhuis and Salo could be chippy.

That team could play chippy too, but Boston was absolutely chippier at the end of the day. 

While I love this current iteration of our team I agree 100%. Hopefully these guys prove themselves to us like that team did!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/liam-o-brien-fined-maximum-for-actions-in-arizona-coyotes-game

NEW YORK – Arizona Coyotes forward Liam O'Brien has been fined $2,018.23, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for roughing Vancouver Canucks forward Sam Lafferty during NHL Game No. 700 in Vancouver on Thursday, Jan. 18, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 5:26 of the first period. O'Brien was assessed a minor penalty for roughing.

Is there a video clip about what happened?

I didn’t watch the game…

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

While I love this current iteration of our team I agree 100%. Hopefully these guys prove themselves to us like that team did!

Ehrhoff wasn’t very tough although he was a great offensive defence man  Hammy was very solid I agree and Salo was made of glass - always injured… I think our current defence is better to be honest with you… They are tougher and our top defensive pairing is better than the 2011 top defensive pairing

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not so sure, I think he might have just had a career year right off the hop

Boeser's overall game is also better

Mikheyev also brings elements of speed and savvy Kuz doesn't 

He just doesn't look like much of a fit under Tochett

Mik doesn't have the same speed from before the injury. He's more of a straight line skater now. And his savvy is missing this year. There are a dozen guys that can do Mik's job for 2.5M. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

Why not Podz

Secret weapons are not useful if they are not secret. Thats what has pissed me off most about the lotto line. 

You think the PP sucks because they lost some mojo? no, its because every team is cramming the video with the PK coach

46 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Should of been given a 10 minute misconduct last night to settle him down. Dude was loosing it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

i hope the refs get embarrassed by this too, and stop fucking around.

There should be and equal fine to the refs for not calling the 5 and a game misconduct at the time, instead of 2 for "fluffing". I am so glad Z fucked him up. but the refs should get a penalty too.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure I agree with that, if they were closer to the 7-8 spot I'd agree but they've built themselves a comfortable cushion. It's not playoff hockey every night, the stakes aren't as high because they're not really at risk of losing their spot, it's them trying to consistently maintain good habits. 

Teams want to step up against top teams in the league, that's nothing new, doesn't make it playoff hockey every night. 

The Oil, Kraken, and Flames have been playing hockey more akin to playoff hockey every night, the stakes have been higher for them given the holes they've been trying to dig themselves out of. 

What I do agree with is that this season has been an ongoing lesson for both players and staff, that's part of the whole maintaining good habits bit. This is a team who's still showing growing pains at times despite their record, that's part of transitioning from a team who hasn't been a playoff team to a team trying to step towards being a playoff regular. This isn't a group that's experienced a whole lot of playoff hockey, and I don't believe they're going to jump from say.. G or H to Z. 

Regardless of what happens come playoff time this season will be a success if they make the playoffs, that's a big step forward from being mediocre or stuck in no man's land. The first step towards becoming a playoff regular, and then maybe more, is breaking the streak of playoff misses. I view this season as a transition season, I'm not really expecting a cup, but sometimes you have to lose in the playoffs and play meaningful hockey down the stretch to learn. 

We saw that in the late 2000's, had to go through the ringer a bit come playoff time before going deep. Most teams have to do their time losing in the playoffs, beating their heads against the playoff wall before breaking through. We've seen it repeatedly with most cup winners over the past decade. But the only way to get that experience is to be there, we're on track to be there. 

If every teams are playing like a playoff against us and wanting to beat us so badly and we are able to match their energy and still dominate them at time, it is a good look for the playoffs.   In month of March, they will be so rested that they are not flying on the plane anywhere for 3 weeks and still have some practice time to further their game and prepare them with a bit different adjustment made in practice so that we will be able to throw this play and other plays that other teams in the playoffs are not able to prepare will help this team even more than a normal March schedule with road trips in between with 15-17 games March schedule historically.   We will play relatively light 12 games schedule.   Rest will be even more important when it comes to playoffs energy.  Other teams that is in playoffs are playing catch-up hockey just to get 82 games and will be a little bit fatigue when playoffs start.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good. That turd needed to be fined forviolating a clear rule. Still glad Zadorov gave him a tidy beating. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

LOL caus Bains makes the actually make the team before Podz full time.

Bains has been great and I think deserves the chance.

Podz can wait till next year to earn a spot.

Regardless of when they make the line up, I see Bains having a bigger impact at the NHL level than Podz will. Unfortunately I feel like Podz is the prospect that we all wish made it but he will fall short. Just have that feeling about him.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, CanuckMan said:

Regardless of when they make the line up, I see Bains having a bigger impact at the NHL level than Podz will. Unfortunately I feel like Podz is the prospect that we all wish made it but he will fall short. Just have that feeling about him.

Or he could be a player added to a trade.