PGT - Arizona at Vancouver - 01/18/2024

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I like their D better. I'd take Edler, Erhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Salo over our current group in a seven game series despite lacking a Hughes caliber offensive D.

Their center depth throughout their top three lines was better. Sedin, Kesler, Malhotra. 

Prime aged Luongo could absolutely match Demko despite being a Jekyll and Hyde bit at times. 

It was one of the most statistically dominant teams in the modern era. 

Dunno, that team had it's characters too.

Bieksa, Torres, Higgins, Hansen, Kesler, Burr, Lapierre, Rome, Alberts, Samuelsson, Glass, Rypien, Volpatti, Oreskovich. Even Hamhuis and Salo could be chippy.

That team could play chippy too, but Boston was absolutely chippier at the end of the day. 

EVERY Team is focusing hard on the Canucks right now ..  it’s playoff hockey every night for us.

This is a huge lesson at this time of year for this group,  including Coaches and Management.

The RIGHT attitudes combined bring out positive outcomes.

This is are first year as playoff contenders,.   Our play speaks volumes of being superior to the group of players you have hi-lighted,  that group played together for many seasons to get to that point .

This team is at that point after a single season of major adjustments to all personnel.

Edited by SilentSam

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe....

And I'm a huge 2010-2011 fan... But they were also going to beat Bruins...

If they'd been healthier and not the walking wounded group they were towards the end I reckon they would have

Boston was definitely the healthier team when they reached the final 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If they'd been healthier and not the walking wounded group they were towards the end I reckon they would have

Boston was definitely the healthier team when they reached the final 

Think so too... 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

EVERY Team is focusing hard on the Canucks right now ..  it’s playoff hockey every night for us.

This is a huge lesson at this time of year for this group,  including Coaches and Management.

Not sure I agree with that, if they were closer to the 7-8 spot I'd agree but they've built themselves a comfortable cushion. It's not playoff hockey every night, the stakes aren't as high because they're not really at risk of losing their spot, it's them trying to consistently maintain good habits. 

Teams want to step up against top teams in the league, that's nothing new, doesn't make it playoff hockey every night. 

The Oil, Kraken, and Flames have been playing hockey more akin to playoff hockey every night, the stakes have been higher for them given the holes they've been trying to dig themselves out of. 

What I do agree with is that this season has been an ongoing lesson for both players and staff, that's part of the whole maintaining good habits bit. This is a team who's still showing growing pains at times despite their record, that's part of transitioning from a team who hasn't been a playoff team to a team trying to step towards being a playoff regular. This isn't a group that's experienced a whole lot of playoff hockey, and I don't believe they're going to jump from say.. G or H to Z. 

Regardless of what happens come playoff time this season will be a success if they make the playoffs, that's a big step forward from being mediocre or stuck in no man's land. The first step towards becoming a playoff regular, and then maybe more, is breaking the streak of playoff misses. I view this season as a transition season, I'm not really expecting a cup, but sometimes you have to lose in the playoffs and play meaningful hockey down the stretch to learn. 

We saw that in the late 2000's, had to go through the ringer a bit come playoff time before going deep. Most teams have to do their time losing in the playoffs, beating their heads against the playoff wall before breaking through. We've seen it repeatedly with most cup winners over the past decade. But the only way to get that experience is to be there, we're on track to be there. 

Edited by Coconuts

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe....

And I'm a huge 2010-2011 fan... But they were also going to beat Bruins...

By the time they got to the Bruins they were just too banged up. 
I think in a head on match both teams would be pretty even. The only glaring difference is the second line which the 2010-2011 Canucks have a better line with Samuelson-Kesler-Raymond 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think so too... 

The Canucks definitely would’ve won the cup if the squad was healthier… When we lost Hammy and Rome you knew it was over cuz Luongo wasn’t the watertight super human tender he used to be when we first got him… 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Enough with the 2011 comparisons! Let each team be their own team.

Who cares who would beat who or who’s better? Not like that question can even be answered. 😂

Every team will ultimately be judged by what they do in the playoffs anyways.

Triggered?

let peeps talk man… 

relax 

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Enough with the 2011 comparisons! Let each team be their own team.

Who cares who would beat who or who’s better? Not like that question can even be answered. 😂

Every team will ultimately be judged by what they do in the playoffs anyways.

If anything, I would hope to compare this team to the Kings team that won their first cup. Regular season notwithstanding. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I hope so… 

The 2011 Canucks were a durable and talented lot, but I see a greater willingness to engage in physical play from the 2023-2024 roster. I mean, how many players has Pettersson run through so far this season? Quite a few, and quite convincingly.

6 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I think in a head on match both teams would be pretty even. The only glaring difference is the second line which the 2010-2011 Canucks have a better line with Samuelson-Kesler-Raymond 

That is true... Also believe they would have beaten Bruins.

If they can get a better winger or C for the 2nd line, it will be getting closer. If Kuz had still been scoring for fun, it would have been a different story.

I think our 4th line is a good bit better though...  

But it is a guessing game... 

10 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I'd say the 2010-2011 group had a huge edge at 3C too

We don't have anything close to a 1-2 shutdown combo of peak Kesler and Malhotra, which isn't to disparage our current group, I wish we did 

Malhotra was a special defensive player and a faceoff ace, if he hadn't gotten that eye injury who knows what might have been

Edited by Coconuts

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure I agree with that, if they were closer to the 7-8 spot I'd agree but they've built themselves a comfortable cushion. It's not playoff hockey every night, the stakes aren't as high because they're not really at risk of losing their spot, it's them trying to consistently maintain good habits. 

Teams want to step up against top teams in the league, that's nothing new, doesn't make it playoff hockey every night. 

The Oil, Kraken, and Flames have been playing hockey more akin to playoff hockey every night, the stakes have been higher for them given the holes they've been trying to dig themselves out of. 

What I do agree with is that this season has been an ongoing lesson for both players and staff, that's part of the whole maintaining good habits bit. This is a team who's still showing growing pains at times despite their record, that's part of transitioning from a team who hasn't been a playoff team to a team trying to step towards being a playoff regular. This isn't a group that's experienced a whole lot of playoff hockey, and I don't believe they're going to jump from say.. G or H to Z. 

Regardless of what happens come playoff time this season will be a success if they make the playoffs, that's a big step forward from being mediocre or stuck in no man's land. The first step towards becoming a playoff regular, and then maybe more, is breaking the streak of playoff misses. I view this season as a transition season, I'm not really expecting a cup, but sometimes you have to lose in the playoffs and play meaningful hockey down the stretch to learn. 

We saw that in the late 2000's, had to go through the ringer a bit come playoff time before going deep. Most teams have to do their time losing in the playoffs, beating their heads against the playoff wall before breaking through. We've seen it repeatedly with most cup winners over the past decade. But the only way to get that experience is to be there, we're on track to be there. 

This is why I stand by my quote ,.

seems you’ve made an essay as to why I think this time of year is important to this group given the POSITION we are in ,.

and Why this group is different ( only this season playing together) than the others you mentioned ..

4E939748-45AC-4BA4-B9C6-782EE9D8C3A6.jpeg

only 2/3 rds of a season removed from years of disaster is something to identify by .

it’s an amazing time frame.

Edited by SilentSam

10 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

The Canucks definitely would’ve won the cup if the squad was healthier… When we lost Hammy and Rome you knew it was over cuz Luongo wasn’t the watertight super human tender he used to be when we first got him… 

When Rome got 4 match suspension (a shocking decision by absolutely disgusting favouritism) it was game over....

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is are first year as playoff contenders,.   Our play speaks volumes of being superior to the group of players you have hi-lighted,  that group played together for many seasons to get to that point .

This team is at that point after a single season of major adjustments to all personnel.

Exactly 

every team is coming to play when they play against the canucks

But regardless, the canucks can still upgrade their top 6

bring in a centerman and potentially promote hogz to the second line and get rid of kuz for his sake

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd say the 2010-2011 group had a huge edge at 3C too

We don't have anything close to a 1-2 shutdown combo of peak Kesler and Malhotra, which isn't to disparage our current group, I wish we did 

Malhotra was a special defensive player and a faceoff ace, if he hadn't gotten that eye injury who knows what might have been

Maybe, however our 3rd line now scores more than their 3rd line. 

Guess we'll find out soon enough...

2 hours ago, BPA said:

It’s apparent Kuz is having a very bad year.  Is there something personal going on that can explain his poor play?  Trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he needs a boost of confidence.  Wonder if Tocchet would split Lotto line in order to get Kuz game going.  He added EP back to get his game another boost and it worked wonders.

EP Miller Kuz

Mik Suter Boeser

Just a random thought.

Drop mik to the fourth and bring hogz up

hogz suter boeser