Sounds like trader Jim is staying

Coconuts

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Sorry, couldn't disagree more with your assessment.

Firstly, this team isn't winning mostly on the Goalies backs.  They've been solid sure but by saying this, its a disservice to the rest of the team who has improved immensely.  No credit to the rebuilt bottom 6?  What about the defense? Hronek, Soucy, Cole and Zadorov?  They don't matter? 

Not sure exactly what happened with Rachel Dorrie.  All I know is how unprofessional she was about it afterwards.  Management remained quiet about it like they should.

BB was not a coach that they hired.  You can fault Francesco for doing it assbackwards.  Despite that, they did give BB another chance but when the team crapped the bed for the first part of last season, they had no choice.  I was not happy with the way things were done but it wasn't entirely management's fault that it leaked and turned to a shitshow.

Are we still complaining about Miller's contract? seriously?  at 8 million he is the best bargain out there.  so much so that any regression in the last 3 years would be well worth it.  (assuming that there will be a big one)  Also, the Cap will continue to rise.  In 6 or 7 years, an 8 million dollar player will be what a 6 million dollar player is paid now.

Having hindsight is great isn't it?  why would you trade someone who you signed for a reasonable 5.5 million after an almost 40 goal, 80 point season?  Was it their fault that Kuz came into training camp out of shape?  Even though management gave the directive to every player on the team that they needed to be ready to go at the start of training camp?  

I think we need to give credit where credit is due.  

Miller's deal looks good now- I suggest we wait till the last few years to decide how good it looks over all.

And nowhere did I say this was all on the goalies.

Hindsight- on Kruze?

Not at all, I was firmly in favour of trading that guy.

Seems both Rachel and Kruze were bad hires then. One can't keep her mouth shut, and the other didn't come back in hockey shape.

So, a mixed bag, just like every other management group.

Again- if J.R. would just shut his mouth-like he said he would- things would be better.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

it because Benning made so many bad moves, we have PBSD. 

Based on what this front office has done so far, lots of reason to believe that any moves they do make will be upgrades. Of course any deal can go sideways, but their track record is quite good. 

Well Aqua was the head of that dragon so still, some measure of concern is warranted. 

55 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Miller's deal looks good now- I suggest we wait till the last few years to decide how good it looks over all.

And nowhere did I say this was all on the goalies.

Hindsight- on Kruze?

Not at all, I was firmly in favour of trading that guy.

Seems both Rachel and Kruze were bad hires then. One can't keep her mouth shut, and the other didn't come back in hockey shape.

So, a mixed bag, just like every other management group.

Again- if J.R. would just shut his mouth-like he said he would- things would be better.

can’t be worried about millers contract 4 years from now.  Our window is opened and he is a steal at 8 million.  Who knows what this team will look like in four years.  We may have a cup or two under our belts and it may be time to start building a new core.

you said the team’s success was “mostly” off the backs of the goaltenders.  I also used the same term in my reply.  Semantics aside, this is not a team that is winning mostly because the goaltenders are standing on their heads most nights.  Plenty of wins in there where we had 3 or 4 goal cushions.  We are the highest scoring team in the league if you haven’t noticed.

so what if Rachel was a bad hire?  This happens all the time with companies and organizations.  She was a lower level member of the mgmt team and it only became negative news when she chirped in public about it.  

I have followed this team since they came into the league and as such developed a lot of skepticism over the years so it takes a lot for me to come around to believing in this team again.  The last road trip convinced me that they are the real deal.  Whether they have enough to win a cup is anyone guess but it’s great to be talking about that as opposed to looking at tank gifs all the time.

• Cheers 3

Are we still complaining about Miller's contract? seriously?  at 8 million he is the best bargain out there.  so much so that any regression in the last 3 years would be well worth it.  (assuming that there will be a big one)  Also, the Cap will continue to rise.  In 6 or 7 years, an 8 million dollar player will be what a 6 million dollar player is paid now.

I thought the same about Loui, so i'm a bit wary.

I think Miller's contract at the moment is a bargain, it really depends on how you think his trajectory is for the remaining 85% of his contract. It's a bit premature to declare it a success at the 15% mark.

That being said, when the full length of the contract is run through, we can properly assess it. I'm confident the management group can navigate it.

• Cheers 2

On 1/19/2024 at 2:10 PM, Strawbone said:

But he old. Hope he makes it!

He may be old,but building a winner here probably keeps him going. He's been on a team one way or another for almost his entire life. When some people retire they loose contact with a lot of associates. This will keep his brain working. I'm glad he is staying, he has assembled a very good team it seems.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two Cups in his short time there. That’s success. He’s going to be here for Three Cups! 

Nobody's arguing his tenure in Pittsburgh wasn't an overall success, but the first half of his tenure was better than the second half 

You don't get the nickname Trader Jim without having some duds in there after all 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Nobody's arguing his tenure in Pittsburgh wasn't an overall success, but the first half of his tenure was better than the second half 

You don't get the nickname Trader Jim without having some duds in there after all 

Hard to improve on winning the Cup - twice. 
We are fortunate to have JR leading our club now. He’s going to win Three Cups with us!!!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't worry.  Imagine after we win the cup what kind of fun we will have with all of the haters.  It will be a thing of beauty.  It will be the best of times on this board.  Remember, the best revenge is success...

Toss the wet blankets into the dryer and leave them there?

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

At first yes, but the last 4 years- not likely a steal, unless Miller is the thief.

Guy had the team on a huge winning streak- so not suckage. Got under cut, because the guy in charge didn't even know that Bruce had an option year.

cool- so who hired this person you call loser? Then fired this person you call loser, in a way that ended up in a lawsuit?

Mixed bag, good and bad.

Too many folk are so fixated on current events, they just forget the screw ups.

The screw ups have nothing to do with the on ice product.

Who cares about Rachel derriere and bruce Boudreau and their Sour grapes.

This is the fastest turn around in canucks history. With minimal mistakes, Riley Stillman is the only one I can think of and that was a minor move and he was shipped out quickly once they realized he wasn't a fit.

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

I think Miller's contract at the moment is a bargain, it really depends on how you think his trajectory is for the remaining 85% of his contract. It's a bit premature to declare it a success at the 15% mark.

That being said, when the full length of the contract is run through, we can properly assess it. I'm confident the management group can navigate it.

Yup we have to see the contract through, hes going to be underpaid some seasons and some overpaid. The way salaries are climbing, 8 million for 50pts in 5 - 6 years into the future wont look too bad

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

Yah- looks good now, but what about the last 4 years?

Well we'll see in 4 years time...

However you'll struggle to find a player nearly as good on a similar contract. 

If we get a cup, before he goes down hill, I don't think anyone will complain... 

Fact is we can't have it all... You got to find a mix within the cap, that will make this possible.

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

Good on yah- at least you have enough balance to admit mistakes were made; and you don't resort to terms of belittlement to try and denigrate others viewpoints-something I wish others could do.

Cheers... 

The mistake with Rachel Dorrie was, they hired a woman they shouldn't have... If it had been a male member of the backroom staff, that got canned because they didn't keep the info within the room, or what ever she did, would there be so much discussion about it?

Actually come to think of it, the fact that we probably were the first team to hire women for the backroom staff, shows they are going places nobody were before. If the biggest mistake they make are sacking Dorrie (even with a court case) as soon as they felt she didn't live up to expectation, as well as the much publicised canning of Bruce, then I can definitely live with.

I may be mistaken, but the OEL buy out can be debated, as can the length of the Miller contract, but I think we'll struggle to find anything else they have done, that didn't turn into gold. Hence I feel the unhappiness with JR/PA is very much unwarranted... 

As for Kuz and the treatment of him, it's on Tocchet, and again it can be debated, if they should just have left him, as the player he was. But the coach thinks, he can make him a better player, and wants him to play the system he wants.... Think its the same for most coaches.

Finally, we can look into all the good that has happened over the last year and half under JR and PA and the positives definitely far out weights the negatives.

Anyway, we don't have to agree on everything... that would be boring 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, DSVII said:

This is also very true, but we can only go by, what we see and how it is atm... 

With every single contract they hand out, they take a chance... Miler will likely decline at some stage, but if we could live with LEs $6M for 6 years and Myers 6x6, then I think, its fair to think, that we'll survive Millers contract, even if heads south at the last part of it.

As one of the top players in the league, he must surely be categorised like that now, he is a bargain at $8M/year.