Sounds like trader Jim is staying

Coconuts

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

[Canucks Central] Jim Rutherford on Pettersson + Deadline Options #canucksCentral 
https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-central/episode/170036423 

I think JR just talks frankly and he sees several steps ahead and not just the next move.   Of course, if EP doesn't want to stay, they need to trade him.  

thank you, that is absolutely the case. 

in rutherford's eyes, the question implied that the alternative to being comfortable with it was trading him. 

maybe journalists should go to journalism school and learn how to ask questions properly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

it's worth adding, I don't even remember which recent interview it was during or the specific nature of the question, but rutherford's answer included the phrasing "we'll see who wants to be here ..." in relation to available cap space and I'm nearly certain that was an allusion to pettersson. 

i think it's pretty well-established at this point that I'm not the worst case scenario, doom-saying type normally, but I think fans need to prepare themselves for the fact that, regardless what happens this season, there's a very real possibility the canucks may get "chucky'd" this summer. 

makes a second line center with team control the largest deadline target, as both a boost for this year's playoff chances and also a safety net if petey bails. 

the one saving grace is that the canucks are far better positioned to absorb the blow than the flames were, and I'm certain allvin would be able to work a return that didn't include jonathan huberdeau 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

His conduct was unacceptable then and it still isn't.  I'm not going to pretend to respect a Poho with the kind of character issues that Rutherford displays, and I'm going to call him out every time he opens his trap and proves just how much of a piece of garbage he is.

One of the added benefits of having JR at the helm is that his mere presence is filtering the excrement out of the fanbase. Case in point...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

don't jinx it, AQ 

I don't know, that brazen, blase confidence makes me think he finally bucked up to pay his "membership dues" to get a seat at the NHL big boys table. 

Certainly the furthest thing from a failed experiment...

This is the best hockey I have seen since I was in the 10th grade, and off the ice, everyone involved in the organization is aligned. I always admired Rutherford since he led the Canes to their cup back in '06, and I still feel like I'm dreaming at times when I see what the Canucks org has accomplished over the last while. Pinch me...

• ThereItIs 1

‘Winning here would be very special’: Jim Rutherford Speaks on His New Contract Extension

By

Chris Faber

January 19, 2024

Jim Rutherford is going to continue to run the Vancouver Canucks as the president of hockey operations for years to come.

The team announced a three-year contract extension for Rutherford on Friday afternoon.

It’s been quite the turnaround for the club since the Hockey Hall of Famer took over the reins of hockey operations in Vancouver. When Canucks Owner Francesco Aquilini flew to Carolina to speak with him, Rutherford called the meeting “impressive” and that once he got the full support from his wife and kids, Vancouver became his next destination.

“We were thrilled when Jim told us he was up for the challenge,” said owner Francesco Aquilini. “He came here with a vision and an unwavering commitment to make this team competitive again.”

Rutherford knew that it would be a big challenge to get the Canucks back into contention but if this season is any indication, things are headed in the right direction.

“We feel good about the progress we’ve made,” said Rutherford. “We also recognize we still have our challenges ahead. We, as a hockey operation, our off-ice group is something we've really strengthened, and we feel good about that.”

While Rutherford is content with the 2023-24 season so far, he can not be satisfied at this point in the year. The bar has been rising since he joined the Canucks and as the leader of hockey operations, Rutherford plans on keeping those high standards.

“We're realistic, but our goal is to always aim high,” said Rutherford. “When you put a group together, you need them to come together as a team – not as individuals, which our team has done. And now, they've performed well and we're going to get into a stretch of the season where the games get even harder. There are no easy games when you've done as well as we have in the first half. Teams come in and bring their A-game every night. We probably see number one goalies every game we don't get back-up goalies much. But our team has passed every test from the start of training camp to now and now they'll just get new tests as the season progresses.” 

Winning a championship is the ultimate goal for Rutherford. Hoisting the Stanley Cup is what everyone in hockey is playing for but he knows that a lot of things need to go right in order to accomplish that incredible feat. Along with some good luck, you need to be disciplined and structured to be the final team standing.

Rutherford has been there and done that three times

He’s experienced the mountain top and he’s experienced not quite making it there as well.

It’s about building a contender through a solid process and Rutherford believes the players are buying into the team concept here in Vancouver. He believes the hockey club is on the right road to be able to accomplish its goals.

“Vancouver is exciting when you're winning. I've been here long enough now to meet a lot of fans and a lot of people get feedback from them. Winning here would be very special. I’m starting to realize what it means to Vancouver Canucks fans.”

Rutherford meshes well with General Manager Patrik Allvin and he believes that the next step will be getting a contract extension for Allvin. There are going to be discussions internally about the hockey operations group but the president has been able to observe the group for the last two years and sees the work that is being done to make this team back to a contender.

There’s a big focus on the AHL club and the work that Ryan Johnson is doing in the AHL along with the development staff. That development staff is also now spread out throughout Canada, the United States, and Europe with the addition of Mike Komisarek, Mikael Samuelsson and the continued work from Chris Higgins.

This contract extension wasn’t something that happened overnight. The two sides have been talking for a while now, trying to find the right time to sign a new deal. 

“This has been chipped away for a long time,” said Rutherford about his contract extension. “I've had a good working relationship with Francesco and he lets me do what's necessary on the hockey side, but he's there when we need him and he gives us what we need to be successful. But we talked different times and I think it's almost like this extension has been talked about from the time I signed the [initial] contract.” 

If you wonder if Rutherford is still having fun, the answer is technically no. 

But the president is getting plenty of joy in the progress made by his management team, coaching staff, players, and everybody in between.  

“Fun is not the right way to describe our jobs because it's a really hard job,” said Rutherford with a laugh. “I enjoy the challenge and what I really enjoy is seeing how the players have bought in to not be individuals but instead, being a team together. We have a team here. I enjoy watching the progress made by each individual – from Patrick starting out as a new General Manager to where he is today. Rick Tocchet and his coaching staff evolving, and especially the players and the growth they’ve made. When I got here, there were a number of good players, but I always felt that there was more to give. I've now seen it, I’ve seen them give more and I'm really proud of our people.”

Rutherford will be around for at least three more seasons but he doesn’t have a timeline for when he will call it a career. When asked if he just loves this game and loves his role, Rutherford was stern with his answer but shared a laugh along the way. 

“Obviously I am otherwise I wouldn't keep doing this,” said Rutherford when asked about being in love with hockey. “I thought I was retiring when I when I left Carolina. Then I went to Pittsburgh, which I thought was going to be for two years. It was seven. I came to Vancouver, I thought for two years and now it looks like it's at least five. So I don't think there's any use of me starting to speculate. As long as I'm healthy and I contribute. I guess I'll just keep going to work.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I just hope we continue to see more of the first half of Penguins tenure Jim than the second half version, you'll get mixed takes on Rutherford from Pens fans despite the cups 

They're also spoiled fans. And probably not nearly as knowledgeable as Canadian market fans.

JR is in a league of his own

20 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

They're also spoiled fans. And probably not nearly as knowledgeable as Canadian market fans.

JR is in a league of his own

They're definitely spoiled, but they do also have some intelligent fans like every other fanbase 

Some of the moves in the latter half simply weren't all that great though 

Edited by Coconuts

8 hours ago, Gurn said:

or perhaps he is losing his marbles, and no longer knows that his words about players and coaches can negatively effect the value of those assets.

Or  like many dinosaurs cannot adapt to the new world, and doesn't appreciate the damage his comments can make.

Dinosaur or not... the managemant team he assembled, just got our team to 30wins the fastest in Canucks history. 
Just about everything he has touched so far has turned into gold. 
How about we put the knives down, and wait until they actually screw up, instead of nit picking to find something to dislike him for?

His managements choices has been on point and while I was sorry to see the back of Bruce (it was mostly an entertaining time), the coach brought in an made them play winning hockey. 

Personally, I could care less if he used sign language, or gave the press and public the two finger salute, if the on ice product is a winning watchable one.... and I'm sure the paying customers feel the same. 

He is asked questions, and he answers honestly... no sugar coating, just like Tocchet. I'm a huge fan of that. 

Edited by spook007
Spelling
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't worry.  Imagine after we win the cup what kind of fun we will have with all of the haters.  It will be a thing of beauty.  It will be the best of times on this board.  Remember, the best revenge is success...

Elvis Presley Baby GIF

• Haha 1

I would imagine coaching and other management positions be extended. That's a good thing for our organization. Everything from ownership down to the players are confident that a SC championship is coming to fruition. Having JR shored up gives us every chance to reach that goal.

JR's done it before and who could argue that with him at the helm, that it wouldn't happen again. Dude's a winner and knows how to build a championship team. Let's go!!!!!!

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

They're definitely spoiled, but they do also have some intelligent fans like every other fanbase 

Some of the moves in the latter half simply weren't all that great though 

Two Cups in his short time there. That’s success. He’s going to be here for Three Cups! 

I just find Aquillini saying “this could be the year” to be worrisome. First that seems to be what he thinks no matter where we are in the cycle and that the management will abandon it’s plan’s around growing the system and building up the team for a mad push this year. 
We know that first is burning a hole in JR’s pocket. He usually hates pics. 
Just hope they don’t go crazy like they did in Toronto at the deadline last year, don’t mess with the success and chemistry. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I just find Aquillini saying “this could be the year” to be worrisome. First that seems to be what he thinks no matter where we are in the cycle and that the management will abandon it’s plan’s around growing the system and building up the team for a mad push this year. 
We know that first is burning a hole in JR’s pocket. He usually hates pics. 
Just hope they don’t go crazy like they did in Toronto at the deadline last year, don’t mess with the success and chemistry. 

it because Benning made so many bad moves, we have PBSD. 

Based on what this front office has done so far, lots of reason to believe that any moves they do make will be upgrades. Of course any deal can go sideways, but their track record is quite good. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Dinosaur or not... the managemant team he assembled, just got our team to 30wins the fastest in Canucks history. 
Just about everything he has touched so far has turned into gold. 
How about we put the knives down, and wait until they actually screw up, instead of nit picking to find something to dislike him for?

His managements choices has been on point and while I was sorry to see the back of Bruce (it was mostly an entertaining time), the coach brought in an made them play winning hockey. 

Personally, I could care less if he used sign language, or gave the press and public the two finger salute, if the on ice product is a winning watchable one.... and I'm sure the paying customers feel the same. 

He is asked questions, and he answers honestly... no sugar coating, just like Tocchet. I'm a huge fan of that. 

How about we let every one have their own opinion?

J.R. and his team have been a mixed bag- not a rousing success, as he is recently painted. Which is true of every management team.

Team is playing well- mostly on the Thatcher Demko and DeSimth's backs.

As to wait till he screws up - no need to wait to list a few errors.

When J'R. took over he was so out of touch he didn't even know he had a coach with an  option year on a deal.

Hired and fired Rachel Dorrie, and fired her so poorly the team is dealing with a lawsuit.

Hung out a coach, then fired him just as the competition got easier.

signed Miller to a contract that is at least 3 years too long.

didn't trade Kuzemenko at last years deadline- now have a player getting $5.5 mill and being healthy scratched.

he won't just keep his mouth shut, even after telling everyone he would.

A few of the other moves were not great either.

So- mixed bag- just like every other management team.

32 minutes ago, Gurn said:

J.R. and his team have been a mixed bag- not a rousing success, as he is recently painted. Which is true of every management team.

When J'R. took over he was so out of touch he didn't even know he had a coach with an  option year on a deal.

Hired and fired Rachel Dorrie, and fired her so poorly the team is dealing with a lawsuit.

didn't trade Kuzemenko at last years deadline- now have a player getting $5.5 mill and being healthy scratched.

You are reaching here.

Miller deal is a steal.

Boudreau sucked.

Rachel Doerrie is a loser,  a professional victim who wanted her 10 seconds of fame. Don't believe me? Look at her social media accounts.

JR isn't afraid to make tough decisions for the better of the team, regardless of how the soft media and knee jerkers react. And he's not afraid to admit a mistake and he and PA have been quick to correct them.

He's tell it like it is tough and gets shit done. A lost art in today's world.

The world was a better place with more JRs and less King Heffys.

If we kept Benning we would not have this success, I know he drafted or acquired the core but we would not be where we are.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

yes by all means have your own opinion, but some of the things you listed just isn't true. 
Miller @ $8M is an absolute steal of a contract. 
Riding the back of Demko and DeSmith is also fantacising... all our forward are in the top of scoring and in point, so while we probably have the best goalie tandem in the league, they are far from the only reason we are doing well (and btw goal keepers are part of the team and DeSmith was aquired by PA).

As for Rachel Dorrie, thank god they have a management team in place that rectifies any mistake made instantly, instead of letting it fester and ruining the club. 
As for Kuzmenko...  name me one club that doesn't have a player, struggling to fit into the system. 
Are we just going to let him float and do what he wants, while telling everyone else, they have to earn their minutes?

His positives compared to his negatives has knocked it straight out of the park... homerun. 

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Miller deal is a steal.

At first yes, but the last 4 years- not likely a steal, unless Miller is the thief.

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Boudreau sucked.

Guy had the team on a huge winning streak- so not suckage. Got under cut, because the guy in charge didn't even know that Bruce had an option year.

4 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Rachel Doerrie is a loser,  a professional victim who wanted her 10 seconds of fame. Don't believe me? Look at her social media accounts.

cool- so who hired this person you call loser? Then fired this person you call loser, in a way that ended up in a lawsuit?

Mixed bag, good and bad.

Too many folk are so fixated on current events, they just forget the screw ups.

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Miller @ $8M is an absolute steal of a contract

Yah- looks good now, but what about the last 4 years?

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

As for Rachel Dorrie, thank god they have a management team in place that rectifies any mistake made instantly, instead of letting it fester and ruining the club. 

Good on yah- at least you have enough balance to admit mistakes were made; and you don't resort to terms of belittlement to try and denigrate others viewpoints-something I wish others could do.

29 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sorry, couldn't disagree more with your assessment.

Firstly, this team isn't winning mostly on the Goalies backs.  They've been solid sure but by saying this, its a disservice to the rest of the team who has improved immensely.  No credit to the rebuilt bottom 6?  What about the defense? Hronek, Soucy, Cole and Zadorov?  They don't matter? 

Not sure exactly what happened with Rachel Dorrie.  All I know is how unprofessional she was about it afterwards.  Management remained quiet about it like they should.

BB was not a coach that they hired.  You can fault Francesco for doing it assbackwards.  Despite that, they did give BB another chance but when the team crapped the bed for the first part of last season, they had no choice.  I was not happy with the way things were done but it wasn't entirely management's fault that it leaked and turned to a shitshow.

Are we still complaining about Miller's contract? seriously?  at 8 million he is the best bargain out there.  so much so that any regression in the last 3 years would be well worth it.  (assuming that there will be a big one)  Also, the Cap will continue to rise.  In 6 or 7 years, an 8 million dollar player will be what a 6 million dollar player is paid now.

Having hindsight is great isn't it?  why would you trade someone who you signed for a reasonable 5.5 million after an almost 40 goal, 80 point season?  Was it their fault that Kuz came into training camp out of shape?  Even though management gave the directive to every player on the team that they needed to be ready to go at the start of training camp?  

I think we need to give credit where credit is due.