[Signing] Ottawa Senators sign Shane Pinto, 1-year $775,000

38 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I watched a solid half hour of these clips.  Gotta appreciate the dedication of Sens fans - they've been through a lot.  For someone to compile this is impressive.

Long-suffering and loyal, I hope their new ownership does right by them

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Points need to be taken with a grain of salt, absolutely, but like I said yesterday I reckon a good portion of Ottawa's struggles stem from coaching and goaltending 

Does defense contribute to both? Absolutely, but if the Sens can implement better systems and tweak the makeup of their defense a bit that'd probably solve some of their issues. Not all of them, they absolutely need to find a good coach to do just that, and at 71 that's likely not Jacques Martin 

They're also likely stuck with Korpisalo unless they can pay to swap him in an upgrade or simply pay to move on, but more than likely they'll see what a coach change can do first 

As of today the Sens are tied for 30th in goals allowed, they're 30th on the PK, and they're 30th in penalty minutes, their being undisciplined compounds the rest 

Their powerplay has also been lousy, sitting at 24th despite the Sens being 9th in goals, but one could probably chalk some of that up to them having missed Chabot most of the season, that likely reflects in their D stats as well 

It's a gamble, but a better bet than giving Pinto bigger dollars and term imo, at least Sanderson has top 5 pedigree

Even bottom feeders can have top 4D, Ottawa would really benefit from a D in the mold of Tanev though, Zub can't do it all 

Pulled these from reddit, posted three hours ago in the Sens sub so I'm assuming they're up to date

I probs don't read these as well as @Miss Korea but from what I can tell Ottawa needs to revamp their D and integrate more defensive D, which may be why they're rumoured to be taking calls on Chychrun, to mix things up

Hamonic also looks like an anchor, despite him historically being looked at as more of a defensive D 

One more year at 1.1M with a NMC, they'd probably be better off waiving him going forward 

Sanderson though, he had a good rookie season and despite Ottawa's collective struggles he's still young enough to be able to improve his overall game 

Reveal hidden contents

r/OttawaSenators - All 7 Senators defensemen player cards [Updated]

I can 100% agree that from my observation, goaltending and coaching has been Ottawa's main issues since I can remember. The lack of a defensive system and structure has made it seem like it's ok for their players to give up defense for offense. Oftentimes, you can find Stutzle and Tkachuk cherrypicking for breakaways, and ultimately inflating their stats and the stats of the dmen making the stretch pass (Chabot and Sanderson). 

Sanderson is young, sure, but to bet 64 million dollars on a dman after 1 season... when he's really only shown that he's a NHL calibre dman on a lottery team... yikes.

Take this in. QUINN HUGHES MAKES LESS MONEY THAN SANDERSON AND IS SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER AND MORE PROVEN IN ALL THREE ZONES. It's a horrific signing by Ottawa.  

• ThereItIs 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:52 AM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I know it was never gonna happen, but wonder how he'd fit in with the Canucks. Guaranteed low cap, upside potential, young, right handed 2C - a position we're looking to fill.

Watching Pinto play and he looks good. What’s the cost to acquire him?

2024 first and Podzilla? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 4:07 PM, Coconuts said:

Long-suffering and loyal, I hope their new ownership does right by them

My cousin used to play for Ottawa. Always had a soft spot for the team. He loved it there, and the fans were great. Wished he stayed longer but he was on the back end of his career. Went to the stanley cup finals with them which they lost to Anaheim. Still breaks my heart thinking about it! Just as bad as 1994 and 2011 for me lol.

They are so over shadowed by the Toronto media it’s like they don’t exist. Great fans like you said. Also very humble and patient. They deserve a good team after everything that’s happened.

• Thanks 1