Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Chychrun-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

The Rationale:  

1. Although our 2nd line sucks, it’s not really a concerning issue since all of our other lines produce consistent offense.  In other words, we are still getting secondary scoring beyond our 1st line.

2. The Canucks are protected incase there are injuries to any one of Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Demko, or any of our 3rd line.  Kuzmenko or Mikheyev would still keep our top line relatively “elite” if there was an injury to the Lotto line while Suter could fill in for anyone on the Bluegar, Garland, and Joshua line.  Lafferty, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Raty are capable of playing anywhere from the 2nd line to the 4th line.  DeSmith is good enough to fill in for Demko (unlike that thespian Spencer Martin)

3. The Canucks’ only weakness is that they will no longer be an elite team if Quinn Hughes gets injured.  🤕.  If QH goes down, we will not be in the same conversation as Winnipeg, Boston, Vegas, Colorado, Florida, etc.  The reason is that all of Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, and Myers are #4 calibre dmen at best.  We don’t have a true #3 or #2A.  Hughes is a #1 and Hronek is a #2, but there is too big of a gap between Hronek and whoever is our 3rd best defenseman.

Hence - I like the idea of bringing in Chychrun.  Chych can anchor the 2nd line and also play with one of Hughes or Hronek incase of injury.  

Hughes-Chychrun 

Chychrun-Hronek

So, getting back to my proposal, Myers + ???? gets you Chychrun?

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

To Vancouver:  Myers + ???

To Ottawa:  Chychrun

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Suter-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Chychrun-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

I'm confused

This trade was already done and we reversed it?😉

I got even more confused that we added a Cdn Rock band with Meyers🙄

• Haha 1

Myers with no retention is negative value, even with him playing better this year. Retain on him and maybe you have a bit of value there, but not much. As a result, even if you retain 50%, you still have to add value almost equal to Chychrun to make the trade worth it for the Sens.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

they will ask for minimum 1st + willander/lekkerimaki as a starting point.. especially that 1st is going to be a late late pick as it stands

I think I would seriously consider Myers + 2024 1st + Lekkerimaki.  We already have Boeser as our sniper and we could always sign another sniper via UFA at a later date.

The Canucks have had a great season but we still don’t know how they’d perform if they lost Quinn Hughes. My gut says that losing Hughes would immediately drop this team from contendership.  Hence, we need that #2A/#3 guy that could mitigate a Hughes absence while still forming an elite pairing with Hronek.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I think I would seriously consider Myers + 2024 1st + Lekkerimaki.  We already have Boeser as our sniper and we could always sign another sniper via UFA at a later date.

The Canucks have had a great season but we still don’t know how they’d perform if they lost Quinn Hughes. My gut says that losing Hughes would immediately drop this team from contendership.  Hence, we need that #2A/#3 guy that could mitigate a Hughes absence while still forming an elite pairing with Hronek.

i don't think we can afford to use any of our top prospect that have a chance of making the team in a trade in the next year or 2.. those elc will be big when we are in cap crunch due to the 4.5mil+ buy out from oel 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Tyler Myers isn't gonna get you anything - especially as an overpaid, expiring contract going to a basement-dweller.  What is Ottawa going to do with a guy like Myers?  He's not going to help them make the playoffs this year, and then he walks for free in the summer.

The real kicker here is the fact that Ottawa can't even afford Myers.  They are a trash team that's completely strapped up against the salary cap.  So Vancouver would actually have to retain to even make this trade work.

image.png.5f0c67de97860656a0f330f62c53d2d8.png

This is what they got last year.  They are desperately hoping for a return close to this.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Tyler Myers isn't gonna get you anything - especially as an overpaid, expiring contract going to a basement-dweller.  What is Ottawa going to do with a guy like Myers?  He's not going to help them make the playoffs this year, and then he walks for free in the summer.

The real kicker here is the fact that Ottawa can't even afford Myers.  They are a trash team that's completely strapped up against the salary cap.  So Vancouver would actually have to retain to even make this trade work.

This is what they got last year.  They are desperately hoping for a return close to this.

Myers is a better player than ScrubBud. We aren’t trading Myers. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

they will ask for minimum 1st + willander/lekkerimaki as a starting point.. especially that 1st is going to be a late late pick as it stands

Ottawa acquired him for a 2023 1st, #12 OA (was top 10 protected), a 2024 2nd round pick and a 2026 2nd round pick.

Willander is off the table, but I think in the right deal, Canucks would consider Lekkerimaki. I'm not completely convinced that Chychrun is the guy that makes the most sense for us, but for argument sake....

If we consider that Canucks are going to pick in the late 20's this summer, then lets look at something like:

To Van: Chychrun

To Ottawa:

Lekkerimaki (former 1st round pick), similar picking position to what we gave up in past for Hronek

2024 1st round pick

Myers (1.4 million retained to balance cap hit) - they would likely retain 50% additional and send him somewhere else for another pick.

Canucks got a true right shot D from Detroit for a 2023 1st, #17 OA and a 2023 2nd, #43 OA and we got back a 2023 4th as part of the deal, so I'm using this as a loose measuring stick, I wouldn't pay more than this for Chychrun

IMO, Hronek >> Chychrun

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Ottawa acquired him for a 2023 1st, #12 OA (was top 10 protected), a 2024 2nd round pick and a 2026 2nd round pick.

Willander is off the table, but I think in the right deal, Canucks would consider Lekkerimaki. I'm not completely convinced that Chychrun is the guy that makes the most sense for us, but for argument sake....

If we consider that Canucks are going to pick in the late 20's this summer, then lets look at something like:

To Ottawa:

Lekkerimaki (former 1st round pick), similar picking position to what we gave up in past for Hronek

2024 1st round pick

Myers (1.4 million retained to balance cap hit) - they would likely retain 50% additional and send him somewhere else for another pick.

Canucks got a true right shot D from Detroit for a 2023 1st, #17 OA and a 2023 2nd, #43 OA and we got back a 2023 4th as part of the deal, so I'm using this as a loose measuring stick, I wouldn't pay more than this for Chychrun

IMO, Hronek >> Chychrun

lekkerimaki is way more valuable to us than willander is at this point.. especially in a chychrun trade.. our top 6 right now is horrible we have boeser miller EP.. and then nothing.. Mikheyev is not a top 6 on most teams kuzmenko is good as gone.. suter is not a top 6.. the 3rd line is playing great right now.. but probably only if they stay as a 3rd line.. if you elevate that to your 2nd line they'll end up getting the tougher matchups you'll probably see them struggle. 

assuming we win the division.. that draft pick is guaranteed no higher than 25th.. so they going to want more.. 12th overall pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 25th overall pick it's almost to the point where you have to be lucky to even get an impact player. 

we are honestly not in any position to be trading away our top prospect that have the potential to crack the lineup.. we literally need all the ELC we can get with multiple 4.8mil buyout penalty looming. honestly this is not the year to be going all in.. we all saw new jersey last year when they caught lightning during the season.. and came right back to earth this year. 

your next tier of prospects maybe.. raty etc.. and i doubt Ottawa is looking for prospects that may or may not crack their lineup for years.. they are likely to be looking for 23-26 year old that can crack the lineup and retool. raty probably don't move the needle in the trade either.

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Ottawa:

2024 1st round pick

IMO, Hronek >> Chychrun

they will ask for minimum 1st + willander/lekkerimaki as a starting point.. at which point Alvin asks for a cup of tea, and then slaps someone when nobody is looking

• Cheers 1

I've said it for a while - I'd love a 2nd pairing solid LD to back up Hughes. Right now we have Zadorov who has shown some weaknesses defensively, and Soucy. Both are fantastic 5th overall defencemen. Zadorov is maybe a 4th at best but that's a push really. I really wanted Hanifin on this team behind Hughes to eat 21-22 minutes a night, Hughes takes 22-23 minutes and then Soucy takes the rest. Chychrun is nice, but he's a bit too offensive for us and will probably cheat too much. We want a boring, solid LD.

That being said, I'd do Myers + 1st + solid defensive prospect (one of our most recent draft picks). Of course we retain on Myers for the final year of the contract.

He was just traded for a 1st and two 2nds. Our defensive prospect is probably worth a 2nd rounder but what is Myers (a 40-point pace, 20+ minute veteran) worth to a team like Ottawa? Probably not that much.

Hughes - Hronek

Chychrun - Zadorov

Soucy - Cole

Solid defence but I'd be weary that Chychrun pushes for too much offence and gets left vulnerable, we work much better with just one puck mover in Hughes and 5 boring solid physical defencemen.

I'd much rather go after Hanifin, know it'd cost us big time but I'd be all for it. Surely it starts with a first, Kuzmenko and a solid defenceman or top prospect.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:51 PM, -AJ- said:

Myers with no retention is negative value, even with him playing better this year. Retain on him and maybe you have a bit of value there, but not much. As a result, even if you retain 50%, you still have to add value almost equal to Chychrun to make the trade worth it for the Sens.

If this take is good, why do this again putting team in cap hell for future with Myers off book at end of year. Do we not have EP2 coming over next year, as well as 2 NCAA players cooking on farm. This impatients produced an OEL trade.

On 1/19/2024 at 6:39 PM, Miss Korea said:

The Sens aren't at trash team, they're a solid young team that has an extremely bright future. Obviously, they aren't playing well but I think they have a solid young core that just needs the right supporting players for them to take it to the next level.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:02 PM, VegasCanuck said:

To Ottawa:

2024 1st round pick

IMO, Hronek >> Chychrun

Again, we need elc to offset the raises coming out next year. Chychrun  would use Myers salary. Do we not resign Cole +4M cap increase to resign rest (#40,#17)? How do you improve roster for future? In 1982 we made a surprising run, not enough to play with isles. That summer D line evaporated. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

The Sens aren't at trash team, they're a solid young team that has an extremely bright future. Obviously, they aren't playing well but I think they have a solid young core that just needs the right supporting players for them to take it to the next level.

They couldn't even pay Pinto the money he deserved, all because they were up against the cap.  They have no more bluechip prospects coming up the pipeline.  They have to forfeit a first round pick of their choice in the coming years.  What you see on this team right now is what you're getting for a while.  That core is locked up long term and they need to do better for the team to have any hope of success.  Because with that cap hit, they aren't going to get much more help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 2:46 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I'd pass on Chychrun. 

We need a #3D but rather go after a different sort of playstyle. 

I suggested Chychrun for the following reasons:

1. It would give our 2nd pairing another PMD (right now, our two PMD’s play on the same pairing).

2. Chyrchrun could step up to the top pair if one of Hughes or Hronek went down with injury.

3. Chych has a sweetheart cap hit for this season and next.  

4.  Chych has played under Rick Tocchet before.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I suggested Chychrun for the following reasons:

1. It would give our 2nd pairing another PMD (right now, our two PMD’s play on the same pairing).

2. Chyrchrun could step up to the top pair if one of Hughes or Hronek went down with injury.

3. Chych has a sweetheart cap hit for this season and next.  

4.  Chych has played under Rick Tocchet before.

5. Chych is a dough head. 

• Cheers 1

I have a hard time seeing any trade scenario with us and Chychrun that wouldn't result in us risking the momentum of this team. You clearly know Myers alone won't cut it. We'd also need to move more money than that along with whatever extra assets would have to be added.

He's likely to be expensive to the point where it'd make no sense for us in my opinion.