[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Grenades, Jan 20, 4PM PST (7PM EST) Rogers Arena, the Make-em Wail Like Babies Game

Rocket-68

Recent Events over at Rogers Arena  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rutherford have been extended?

• Yes, absolutely for whatever term JR wanted ... yes it was 3 years ultimately
    • Yes, but not for the term ... I would have been happy with, my comment below
    • No
    • Fuck NO, he should be driving himself to the airport by now (King Heffy, I already voted this one for you)
    • None of the above, see my comments below

Well, the last time these 2 teams played, the Canucks were embarrassed by the Leafs after putting in a terrible effort and performance.  This time it's Hockey Day in Canada.  Make a statement boys.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, the last time these 2 teams played, the Canucks were embarrassed by the Leafs after putting in a terrible effort and performance.  This time it's Hockey Day in Canada.  Make a statement boys.

I don't know that they "embarrassed" us in a 5-2 loss.  I mean, the game before we beat them by 3 goals.

Embarrassing, to me, is losing 7-1 to a team.

Don't pump up their tires, they have enough of that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't know that they "embarrassed" us in a 5-2 loss.  I mean, the game before we beat them by 3 goals.

Embarrassing, to me, is losing 7-1 to a team.

Don't pump up their tires, they have enough of that.

It was worse than the score indicated.  The boys simply didn't play well.  Shots were 33 to 22, it was 2-1 for us and then the Leafs scored 4 unanswered.  You can even see the shot distribution where a large majority of the Leafs shots were within a few feet from the front of the net, whereas the Canucks shots were scattered around the perimeter of the zone.

I'm not pumping the Leafs.  I'm just being realistic that the Canucks did not play a good game last time.  In fact that was when the Canucks entered their "slump" of .500 hockey.

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Hockey Day In Canada, bittersweet for me.

I've told it before but, in Mom's honour, will tell it again.

It was a rough time....Mom and Dad both battling cancer. Mom's was terminal brain cancer, late stage. She was in palliative in the hospital. I snuck into her room....it was dark, curtains closed (day time). She was asleep. 

I pulled down the hinged arm of the little hospital TV so I could watch the game. Hockey Day in Canada, Canucks vs Laffs. I turned the sound WAY down so I wouldn't disturb Mom. The glow from the TV made her stir.

Game on, all of a sudden mom sat up, squinted at the TV and said "is that Trevor?". It was. It was one of our last lucid moments together. She'd been "disconnected" and wasn't sure of where she was, but she knew her team on that day. Her captain.

A tear rolled down my cheek as she settled back down and went to sleep.

Canucks were up 2-1 going into the third. Then they took over and scored 4 goals in the third to kick the collective Leafs' ass, 6-1.  Pretty sure Mom helped them do that. She passed not long afterward.

Cherish that memory forever 💙

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I live in Ontario and know several leafs fans. I am pretty sure most if not all the ones I know will tune out if the leafs are trailing after the first period if it's a 10 o'clock start here. The earlier start will keep them tuned in even if they are trailing. I agree the earlier start is not fair to West coast fans. 

I'm an east coast US Canucks fan. They get zero sympathy from me.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Devron said:

Gonna be a gross broadcast but will be so sweet to beat the leafs 

I'll probably have the radio on and tv muted even with the delay. 

The start time is utter bs. It's an unfair advantage. We have to adjust going east but the leaves don't. It's like a regular day for them.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Hockey Day In Canada, bittersweet for me.

I've told it before but, in Mom's honour, will tell it again.

It was a rough time....Mom and Dad both battling cancer. Mom's was terminal brain cancer, late stage. She was in palliative in the hospital. I snuck into her room....it was dark, curtains closed (day time). She was asleep. 

I pulled down the hinged arm of the little hospital TV so I could watch the game. Hockey Day in Canada, Canucks vs Laffs. I turned the sound WAY down so I wouldn't disturb Mom. The glow from the TV made her stir.

Game on, all of a sudden mom sat up, squinted at the TV and said "is that Trevor?". It was. It was one of our last lucid moments together. She'd been "disconnected" and wasn't sure of where she was, but she knew her team on that day. Her captain.

A tear rolled down my cheek as she settled back down and went to sleep.

Canucks were up 2-1 after the second. Then they took over and scored 4 goals in the third to kick the collective Leafs' ass, 6-1.  Pretty sure Mom helped them do that. She passed not long afterward.

Your mom will be cheering her team on… to victory… today 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It was worse than the score indicated.  The boys simply didn't play well.  Shots were 33 to 22, it was 2-1 for us and then the Leafs scored 4 unanswered.  You can even see the shot distribution where a large majority of the Leafs shots were within a few feet from the front of the net, whereas the Canucks shots were scattered around the perimeter of the zone.

I'm not pumping the Leafs.  I'm just being realistic that the Canucks did not play a good game last time.  In fact that was when the Canucks entered their "slump" of .500 hockey.

Yup - they hit a wall after their amazing start and began a phase of 500 hockey… a couple of injuries exposed their lack of depth…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh yeah we had the 2nd period from hell. I think that was a statement game but not in a good way. I'm pretty sure the coaches put our teams systems up on blocks and did a complete overhaul on on our tranny and drive train there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'll probably have the radio on and tv muted even with the delay. 

The start time is utter bs. It's an unfair advantage. We have to adjust going east but the leaves don't. It's like a regular day for them.

Yeah, honestly does anybody remember a game against the Leafs in Rogers Arena where the start time was 7pm PST?

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Other than in net they are a really strong team. We'd be wise not to sleep on them.

They have been sitting awfully close to a wild card spot for some time

been falling out of favour with analysts 

and 2 losses for them and 2 wins for any 2 of the penguins capitals islanders devils lightning or red wings puts their points out of a playoff spot

yes they have 4 players capable of doing some damage but they aren’t a team capable of doing damage

but to be a winning team every team should not be taken lightly 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm gonna go to the gym, then eat my fav food in the mall ( crispy tofu and veg poke' bowl!), then take my dog to get a bath, then staple myself to the couch...

...then watch our future cup winners dismantle a team all the way from the center of universe, so bad that their own mothers won't accept their phone calls post game.

Go. Nucks.

I'm gonna go to the living room, then eat a crispy hot dog bowl, then staple myself to the couch...

...then ditto.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

I find comfort in the fact that Matthew’s hair line recedes every time he scores a goal. 

Pretty soon when he moons people his hairline'll be at his ass crack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm gonna go to the living room, then eat a crispy hot dog bowl, then staple myself to the couch...

...then ditto.

What makes them crispy?

And a whole bowl of them?!

• Haha 1