[PROPOSAL] Bye Bye Petey

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe. The Rangers are used to having the superstar players on their team. Messier, Gretzky, Bure. Petey would fit right in in New York. 

He’s Swedish but not a typical Swede like the Sedins or Naslund. He’s young and single and likes the big cities I think. He’s an extrovert and likes to be outside of a bubble. Vancouver is a bubble. 

Over the past 3 seasons Zibanajed has like 14 fewer points than Pettersson.  Plus he's signed to a cap friendly deal for another 7 years.  Pettersson is unsigned and looking to cash in.  I doubt the Rangers would do it straight up, let alone adding 3 high worth assets on top. 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Over the past 3 seasons Zibanajed has like 14 fewer points than Pettersson.  Plus he's signed to a cap friendly deal for another 7 years.  Pettersson is unsigned and looking to cash in.  I doubt the Rangers would do it straight up, let alone adding 3 high worth assets on top. 

Yup, it's all about value per cap hit.  If Petey wants and gets $12M, Zibanejad is much better value.  The caveat is Zibanejad will age and his production will likely drop, and Petey is likely to get better.  Overall I think it's close in terms of trade value.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, it's all about value per cap hit.  If Petey wants and gets $12M, Zibanejad is much better value.  The caveat is Zibanejad will age and his production will likely drop, and Petey is likely to get better.  Overall I think it's close in terms of trade value.

Straight up? Maybe.  But with Schneider, Otthman and a 1st added by NY? Not remotely close 

27 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Petey has 17 more points than Zibanejad right now. Forget about the past 3 seasons. Petey hasn’t even hit his prime yet while Zibanejad has already past his prime. In 2 years Petey could be a 130 point player and Zibanejad is a 75 point player. 

The Rangers would definitely have to add to the deal. Schneider at a minimum and if Allvin can wheel and deal we can get Lafreniere too. 

Let’s see what the Rangers do in the playoffs this year. If they are out in the first round then they may be looking to shake it up. 

In New York it’s all about star power. Always has been. It took 40 years before Messier brought then another cup. I doubt they want to wait 40 more years for another cup. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey has 17 more points than Zibanejad right now. Forget about the past 3 seasons. Petey hasn’t even hit his prime yet while Zibanejad has already past his prime. In 2 years Petey could be a 130 point player and Zibanejad is a 75 point player. 

The Rangers would definitely have to add to the deal. Schneider at a minimum and if Allvin can wheel and deal we can get Lafreniere too. 

Let’s see what the Rangers do in the playoffs this year. If they are out in the first round then they may be looking to shake it up. 

In New York it’s all about star power. Always has been. It took 40 years before Messier brought then another cup. I doubt they want to wait 40 more years for another cup. 

Pettersson is better. But Zibanejad only has a cap hit of $8.5m. If Petterson wants $11-12m then he's not a fit in thier cap structure. They have a ton committed to Panarin, Fox and Trouba.  Pettersson just isn't a big enough upgrade to justify an extra $3-4m plus adding 3 high end pieces for a guy who could walk in a year 

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It was an honour to watch you play these past 6 years.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your career and your life in the Big Apple.  Cheers to you my friend...   😇

To New York Rangers:

Elias Pettersson

To Vancouver:

Mika Zibanejad

Alexis Lafreniere

Braden Schneider

2024 1st round pick

Of course with Petey gone, we now have to trade his little buddy, Höglander...

To Minnesota:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Nils Höglander

Hunter Brzustewicz

2024 1st round pick

To Vancouver:

Joel Eriksson Ek

Lafreniere    Miller               Boeser

Mikheyev     Zibanejad       Lekkerimäki

Joshua         Eriksson Ek    Garland

Podkolzin     Suter              Lafferty

Aman

Hughes           Hronek

Zadorov          Schneider

Soucy             Juulsen

Pettersson     Willander

Demko     DeSmith 

Oh look, we still have an Elias Pettersson on defence, so I can keep my username...   😊

That's not too crazy of a return in the first trade, but just might be 1-2 assets too many.  Zibanejad would have to come back for EP40 but I doubt we can get Lafreniere + Schneider + 1st.  Maybe Ziba + Schneider + a pick?  Lafreniere would be a good skilled winger to add.  (Wild won't bite on their trade, they don't have a replacement C).

4 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Clearly you didn't read my post.  I said IF he wants out.  I never suggested that he does. There could be any number of reasons that he may want to move on.  Maybe he'd rather be in a less hockey crazed market.  Maybe he'd like to be in a market with better weather. Maybe he'd like a better tax situation. 

And actually I have lived in Calgary and loved it when I was there. 

Loved it eh well that explains a lot!

16 hours ago, Artemus said:

Interesting proposal. I too have been thinking about whether it might be time to move EP40.

What was the impetus for you making this proposal?

-was it that Petey is being coy about whether he wants to stay in Vancouver? (Though he has had luke warm statements of how he likes Vancouver).

-is it the massive contract that he will sign this summer, that would in all likelihood hamstring this team from a cap perspective? (Considering our reduced cap from the     OEL buyout).

I believe that your valuation for EP40's worth is approximately correct. 

My thinking is that Petey would be worth the equivalent of 4 first round picks.

In your Ranger proposal, I would like to see Zibanejad replaced with Kakko and the first round pick (it will be a late first) replaced with Othman.

Not sure how to make the cap numbers work for both teams. Would probably have to tweak the proposal with a view to making the cap work.

I have also been thinking that we can't afford petey. Would the devils be interested in petey+1st for jack and Luke hughes

Gives us a 1st line center and young defenseman

12 hours ago, Moeknows said:

OMG what is wrong with you people..seriously I wonder if other team forums act this way. Do Devels fans think about trading Jack Huges, Oiler fans McDavid or Tamba Bay Kucherov...lets engage is realistic discussion here. Vancouver ain't trading Petey.

I believe you are unrealistic in judging the situation from a cap perspective. I hereby award you the Jim Benning management citation

7 hours ago, bathgate said:

I believe you are unrealistic in judging the situation from a cap perspective. I hereby award you the Jim Benning management citation

Nice try....did I mention anything about cap no I didn't... I just don't think most/any teams engage in discussions about getting rid of an elite player

1 hour ago, Moeknows said:

Nice try....did I mention anything about cap no I didn't... I just don't think most/any teams engage in discussions about getting rid of an elite player

Then you're naive.  If management has even an inkling that they won't be able to get Pettersson signed beyond next season you better believe they're discussing contingency plans 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

You've pretty much hit on most of the salient points vis-a-vis a Pettersson for Zibabejad trade straight up.

Petey will get in excess of the Nylander contract extension. Simply put, EP is a better player. This puts him in the 12 million ballpark.

A previous poster has stated that he doesn't believe that money is an issue. I hope that he is correct but fear that he is being naive. We have somethig like 11 players to re-sign or to replace for the next season. A lot of these players like Hronek, Zadorov, Joshua, Lafferty, Bluegar, etc. will be expecting an increase in their pay. Thanks to the "poison pill" left to us by Benning (OEL) our cap space will be impacted for a number of years and I'm not sure that we can keep everybody that we might want to.

Your caveat regarding where the two players are at in their respective playing careers is really the critical point, in my opinion, that would intrigue the Rangers.

Zibanejad will turn 31 at the end of this season. He may or he may not be able to maintain his point production. He has good size and does not depend solely on his speed for his production. He is signed for 6 more years after this season.

Pettersson, will end this season as a 25 year old. Next season at the age of 26 EP will, in all likelihood, enter his prime years (traditionally considered to be 26 -32 for professional hockey players). Theoretically, Pettersson should produce even better than he has to date and he has been a top 10 scoring leader for awhile.

So, that is why I believe that your caveat would be a dominant point in this proposal that would cause the Rangers to accept it.

The whole discussion though is moot because Zibanejad has a full NMC.

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 1

I fall for this all the time in Fantasy Hockey: "hey trade me your young superstar for a hockeysock full of good players and one guy that might grow up to almost be as good as your young superstar"....okay. Later: awww trucknutz, i had the best player in the deal the whole time....ugh. 

speaking of which: we have two teams available in the CFFGFL, fantasy keeper league. Come test your metal in a year over year keeper league, sign, trade, and draft the club you think will win you the cup! pst for deets.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:46 AM, -dlc- said:

You don't start messing with team chemistry this way. Petey's ours, ain't no one snagging him.

So, no.

Deb I don't no why but I don't think this deal is going to work to re-sign him if he hits another hundred points then his price is going to be 13-14 million.I believe he is going to ask that for a 3 year contract,not long term.I think that's why he won't talk til the off season.He wants that hundred points first.I also believe with 0 proof that his agent went to the Canucks and told them that his client is pissed about the line mates he is being forced to play with and more than likely Petterson didn't have to even talk to the guy about it.He already knows what his client wants.The Lotto line being reunited wasn't a Tochette decision I don't believe.Petey has been a happy little camper since it was put back together.I think Petey has a  bucket load of control with this team and they have to go with his wants to even have a chance of a new contract.I have to believe Rutherford and Alvin and most of all ownership has a drop dead price and deadline for Petey.It wouldn't surprise me to see him in a different Jersey next year.

• Cheers 1

All this talk of we need better wingers for Petey if indeed they

Have to split him and JT for the playoffs.   So many fans think we have to sign him to 12 to 13 some say 14 million dollar a year extension,do those fansdo you  truly

Feel he is 4 million  a year  better player than JT.        I want Petey to stay but I want all the players to want to play for a winner,but I  want the words to be  I want to help the Vancouver Canucks be a winner and I have never heard that from Petey.         If he is a 12-14 mill player he should be making his average wingers better because if your paying him that much it will be a lot harder to resign some of these hard working, hustle, guys in our bottom 6. Let alone  a top 6 winger.         So management has to  think about possibilities  of a trade and rewards of that and ability  of keeping other players on team that our playing the Tochett system