PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

hey, everyone who is thinking Podz is a throw away. Hoggy went down to Abby and did not have good numbers but he learned alot. Podkolzin is doing that for a second year. I think the roof for Podz is higher than Hogz. I am glad both are on affordable contracts, but if podz comes up in the playoffs they will both be stanley cup players.

Mgmt developing young players properly and getting a legit prospect pipeline in place! A new level of professionalism we haven't seen in this organization.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

8d1z5u.jpg

Toronto isn't even a good team

I think only

Montreal. Minnesota, Anaheim, Ottawa, Columbus Chicago and San Jose

Have less Regular game wins than them

Several high scoring players does not make a good team (We know that from the past)

• Cheers 4

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Leafs fans are so salty 😂 one of them even said we won’t go anywhere in the playoffs because we’re “horrendous 5on5”…. Anybody want to let him know we’re actually the best in the league at even strength? 😂 apparently the refs hate them, Pettersson is overrated, Myers is a cheap shot artist and they got goalied. 

Well they're experts at going nowhere in the playoffs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

Hey! How was the game in TO? Lol. 

The small bar sucked, lol. I was hoping for people to be wearing their Leafs gear, but no one was. They definitely did cheer when they tied it up and the bartender had the Budweiser goal horn thing and took it out when they scored. Definitely next season gonna go to The Loose Moose

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think only

Several high scoring players does not make a good team (We know that from the past)

it's a meme 🤣 Demko is good none the less......

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Joshua is about as stoic as you can get and Kuzy has him breaking down here lol so funny i loved this.

DAk been sharing how to get out of RT dog house. Hes like so he wants me to do this not this?! 

OMG I thought he wanted the opposite, THANK YOU

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Sheldon Keefe on Tyler Bertuzzi  tonight    last night    every fucking game

ezgif-4-6a7d68d1d2.gif.a05c928cdda011a5f796c0fc726be554.gif

I thought two of demos biggest saves were point blank on Bertuzzi

I think hes gotta go. If I was a leafs fan I would want a new coach so bad.

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

So the Nucks are #1 in the League. 

Still want to get rid of Myers. 

He was solid tonight.

And with Soucy hurt again we have Juulsen back in.

We kinda need Myers in the role hes been playing its good.

56 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think only

A lot going on tonight.  A few things stuck out for me.

1. The three periods were like completely different games. In the first the Canucks came out strong allowing only 1 shot against in the first 8 minutes or so and getting out to a 3-0 on three hardworking goals. This is the 2023-34 team that is leading the NHL. The second period reminded me of last year's team -- giving up a multi-goal lead, partly due to questionable goal-tending and not generating much on offence (until Garland's late goal). The third period was a special teams roller coaster ride with the Canucks coming out on top thanks to a better PP and a better PK, and excellent goaltending by Demko.

2. One key is that the team did not panic after Toronto tied the game like they have done too often in the past few years. A lot of that is coaching, as is the improved PK, which was very important tonight.  Both primary forward pairings (Blueger-Joshua and Petey-Mik) were excellent.

3. Garland and Hoggy continue to play great, with two goals each tonight. The entire bottom 6 was very good and I would give them credit for the win, although the PP was also crucial, as was Demmer.

4. It is not often that a team gets outshot 46-21 and wins the game 6-4. In fact it is not often that a team scores 6 goals on 21 shots. But it is not like Jones played badly. The Canuck goals were all good goals --two backdoor plays on the PP where the goalie had no chance, and several in close hardworking goals off great shots from high danger areas. The Canucks do not waste shots, they go for high danger shots and prefer to retain O-zone possession rather than take low-probability shots. The Leafs are the opposite. They are a volume shooting team. Sometimes it works. Both Nylander goals were off low probability shots. But the Canuck strategy is working pretty well. 

5. Related to the last point, here is an interesting stat. Despite the huge shot differential tonight the Canucks actually were slightly ahead in score-adjusted 5-on-5 expected goals for.  A related point is that the Canucks rank 27th in the league in shots per 60 (all strengths). However, they are at the 81st percentile in O-zone time, which means they must be 6th in the league. I would argue that O-zone possession time is more important than shots. So, yes, the Canucks have a high shooting percentage and it will probably regress a bit in the second half, but the luck factor only plays a small role.

6. Back to tonight's game. Z was excellent and intimidating (again). Great having a guy like him on the team. Certainly makes life easier for the other players.

7. The lotto line was hard matched against Matthews and did not have a good night at 5-on-5. Miller and Petey were great on the PP and Petey was excellent on the PK, but the underlying stats at 5-on-5 were pretty one-sided and that matched the eye test from my point view. Boeser in particular had a hard time keeping up with Matthews and Marner. It might be time to consider breaking up that line. It provided a good change of pace but we might want another change soon. I would leave them together against Chicago and see how that goes.

8. Back to the Kuzy watch. I just keep waiting for him to get on the scoreboard but once again I was disappointed. But he played well, including very responsible defence. He was the only Canuck forward with a positive Corsi tonight. The line of Kuzy, Mik, and Suter was credited with 5 scoring chances for and only 1 against. They are obviously overdue to actually score. They deserve to get on the scoreboard and I would keep them together for now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2