PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I listened to some Leafs post game talk. They said "huh, Canucks aren't that good. Not Oilers good"

JD Spunkis said this 

they didn't get the canucks A game in either outing this year, unfortunately. 

luckily the canucks B- game was still enough to beat the leafs. 

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder how long before Shanny and Brad are shown the door.

The funny thing anyone could have told them the Leafs are a top heavy team. Trade Nylander and get a centre prospect, a defensive prospect and a pick.

But oh no.....

No matter how much cap space they have in the offseason. That team is screwed.

Yep.  I don't like Keefe, but that may just only come down to my general Leaf hatred.  But if Shanny and Brad don't shake things up, Shanny at the least should be done.

It's gonna be hard to fix though, since every skater with an AAV over 2M has either an NMC or some kind of NTC and those with expiring contracts are producing 2nd line numbers for them.  Damn, does TO management think that Gillis was an outright genius???

2 minutes ago, tas said:

they didn't get the canucks A game in either outing this year, unfortunately. 

luckily the canucks B- game was still enough to beat the leafs. 

The Canucks got goals every time they needed them. Its rather rich to bash a team that beats you 6/4.

But I'm glad there's still salty disbelievers out there. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yep.  I don't like Keefe, but that may just only come down to my general Leaf hatred.  But if Shanny and Brad don't shake things up, Shanny at the least should be done.

It's gonna be hard to fix though, since every skater with an AAV over 2M has either an NMC or some kind of NTC and those with expiring contracts are producing 2nd line numbers for them.  Damn, does TO management think that Gillis was an outright genius???

There's lot of posters on here that insist Gillis was an outright genius.  😉

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

I listened to some Leafs post game talk. They said "huh, Canucks aren't that good. Not Oilers good"

JD Spunkis said this 

JD Spunkis sounds like a loser. Loser name for a loser guy. 

I would love a matchup against the new and improved oilers

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

The Canucks got goals every time they needed them. Its rather rich to bash a team that beats you 6/4.

But I'm glad there's still salty disbelievers out there. 

I was really surprised that Steve Dangle in between having a panic attack about the makeup of the Leafs team. Heaped a lot of praise on Vancouver players.

While calling out Leaf players.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

this is a nice opportunity for me to acknowledge the one thing I'll happily eat crow on this year and that's conor garland. I hadn't been impressed with him at all as a canuck, even though he had some success that first year I felt the frustration outweighed it, but he has really bought in and turned it around and taken control of that line. 

I'm now a conor garland appreciator. 

the players on this team have finally found roles, the first time since 2011. 

I wondering about Zadorov, but he looks like a big game player to me now.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Johnny said:

Are you aware that Myers starts 66% of the time in the Dzone while only having a corsi against at 58% while being a +13 

while having massive dzone starts (only behind zadorov) his 5v5 on ice goals for is 2.6 while his on ice goals against is 2.1

he is primarily used in a defensive role and is coming out on top

Zadorov is sitting with very comparable advanced stats though he has more take aways than myers he has roughly the same amount of give aways. More hits but less points and shot blocks

Do some research and drop the Tyler Myers is gonna ruin this team mantra, its tired

Well said.  Sure, he wasn't perfect last night, but the coaching staff has him seeing the light and his game has turned around nicely.  While his departure at the end of the season seemed inevitable, and somewhat surprisingly he was still here after his signing bonus kicked in this year, he has performed well.  Be interesting to see if he takes a pay cut to stay, to help make up for all the bad years where he was well overpaid.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This. 

Yesterday showed what big strong d men can do. 

I loved that scene where they caught big Z yelling at their bench. 

And then Tyler Myers headlocking Reilly while throwing pinches at Tavares was awesome. 

I thought Cole had a really good game too. 

In fact the entire D did. 

Also helps that all our big guys can also skate well. The fact Cole is our slowest guy speaks volumes because his speed is average. 

A couple of unfortunate long range goals. 

Myers screen on a long shot from Nylander and the other Nylander shot that was tipped were both scored when Leafs had nothing going on in our zone... 

Score could have been 6-2 if those didn't go in. 

Leafs are a good team and did pressure and play with speed. I thought they brought their A game but we are just better. 

Suter had a couple of grade A chances. He had the scoring touch before he got injured. Hopefully he gets one and then it starts going in for him. 

Also curious to hear what Kuz was saying to Joshua. Team seems tight. 

That Kuzy Joshua moment hit me differently. I saw it as a moment of heated intensity, and Kuzy was making jokes on the bench, ostensibly hiding it from the coaches. Joshua looked like he was focused and Kuzy was interrupting that focus with ill-timed joking. To me, it wasn't the time to be fooling around. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's lot of posters on here that insist Gillis was an outright genius.  😉

True.  It was fun while it was going on, but sooner or later those No Move/No Trade clauses will come back to bite ya when they make up the majority of the team.

And, TO hasn't even had the playoff success Gillis had since Shanny came aboard, and he's been around almost twice as long as Gillis was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We won! Our won’t make excuses. They aren’t whiners like Dahlin. 
As fans we will. The club is still recovering from the 7 games in 10 days in 10 different rinks road trip. They had not jump in their first game back, but still knew how to win. Their legs died in Period two last night, but still knew how to win. 
We are a great club. Accept that fact.

Now Bow 🙇‍♀️ to the Empties. 

I usually just listen to and trust the coach’s assessment during his post game interviews rather than posters on this board.  SOG don’t necessarily equate to poor play.  The laffs are built for offense and being down 3 zip they will push back.  We did a great job of keeping most of their shots on the perimeter.  The only negative I saw was the time of possession for our top line 5 on 5.  That’s the area we need to watch as we generated very little in the way of offense for the last 2 periods.  

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There definitely was some game management for sure. 

When game started, canucks were all over the leafs. 

I think it's only natural to let up with a 3-0 lead. 

As a fan, I wanted them to keep going until they hit 10 goals but that's not very realistic when you play a good team. 

Important thing is, we pulled out the win and built more confidence that if we play hard and tenacious like the first period, we are better than the other team. 

I believe that's how we will be playing during playoffs

There won't be any letting up in the playoffs, unless they want to learn the hard way.

• Vintage 1

Too bad we won't meet Leafs during the playoffs...

We would use the first 2 games to destroy them physically, and then just blow them away... I would guess in 5 maybe 6, but last night showed they couldn't handle it, when the boys became physical... even with a few weak calls... just made it even better, that we didn't win because of the referees...

Seeing an $11.5M dollars contract handed out to Nylander makes me shake my head... 

For all the debate about, how Tocchet deals with Kuzmenko, have a look at Nylander that soft weenie, on the third of the Canucks goals... He was almost trying not to get hit, instead of blocking the shot... 

Thank god Tocchet is learning/forcing Kuz to play the right way... It's all good and dandy to see players score goals, but if they can defend a fish supper, what's the point. Nylander with 61 points and only a +3...

Leafs are sinking.... and we get front row seat to watch 🙂

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1