PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The only reason we notice and remember Myers' mistakes is because of his Cap hit and contract. That is soon fixed. 

But I have seen many others make mistakes that get overlooked.... even Miller Deb (sorry for swearing)

But Soucy tipped that Leafs shot perfectly on demko last night, no one complains. Demko would have had a better chance on a breakaway.

Thing is, with a guy like Miller he'll more than make up for it. Usually count on a a good goal or assist because he knows he's maybe put the team behind a step.

Myers? Not so much. If, during those bad games (and anyone saying he hasn't had them doesn't watch) he threw some big hits or did something to change momentum, sure. But often he's the start of a downward cycle that others have to pull us out of.

I like him. I'm glad he looks better but there's been good reason for some criticism. The others have their moments too, but his are often head scratchers.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean every team is gonna play top teams after the all star break I don’t think our schedule is any different.

Thats 10 games out of 33. I’m sure theres lots of bottom teams mixed in there too.

17 out of 33... so more than half the games...

37 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hogs had a beautiful battle with Gio along the boards. Hogs wasn't backing down! Hogs going toe to toe with a gnarly old vet. Gio was frustrated by Hoggy. Man Coach Tocc did some wonderful work reshaping Hogs game. (Take note Kuz)

I think Hogz had that in him to begin with. 

A player like him can't help but improve his game and add other elements working with all of our coaching staff. 

He's a gym rat, plus he's a highly skilled player. 

It's great to see him flourishing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

TO was chippy as hell. They instigated a lot of the scuffling. Especially 2 on 1 there.

Their "chippiness", to me, is of the spoiled brat syndrome outbursts.

I can see them sneering that "it's not fair" as they hack and whack, dive and then  plead to the refs.

Not toughness so much....poor sportsmanship because they're supposed to be the gifted ones. And when a team pushes back, their answer is to dive and try to help the refs make calls.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I think Hogz had that in him to begin with. 

A player like him can't help but improve his game and add other elements working with all of our coaching staff. 

He's a gym rat, plus he's a highly skilled player. 

It's great to see him flourishing. 

On the post game, they also shared that he's been spending a lot of time watching video recently. I think the visuals are really helping. Just to fine tune what's already there and his natural skill and ability.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

On the post game, they also shared that he's been spending a lot of time watching video. I think the visuals are really helping too. Just to fine tune what's already there and his natural skill and ability.

I think getting sent down to abby helped motivate him too. I think Podz is going to bloom when he comes back up. not so fancy, more doing what it takes.

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

On the post game, they also shared that he's been spending a lot of time watching video. I think the visuals are really helping too. Just to fine tune what's already there and his natural skill and ability.

Yeah, exactly. All of it adds up. But that's the thing about him is, he's a student of the game and he has that "bite' already. 

I joke around saying he's a "hog on a bone," but it's true. 

How he scraps it out and wins board/puck battles repeatedly is incredible. 

He's a keeper and he's only going to get better. 

It's great for our team and I believe Podkolzin is going to add another dimension as well. 

And he's only 22.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No he hasn't. He's had some serious blunders that have cost the team. This year's he's at least been better than last year.

When he's on, he's on. When he's not.....look out, he'll cost us.

I mean, this is a good example of a WTF Myers moment. Not only did it cost us a goal, it could've cost us Petey.

420798899_10160731079610549_385577352520

He is "solid" and shouldn't be throwing himself on top of our star players.

We saw the good and bad of Myers last night. I've been pretty critical of him the last few years but he's really settled his game down a lot. Sure he still makes a couple boneheaded mistakes, but those have been few and far between. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, with a guy like Miller he'll more than make up for it. Usually count on a a good goal or assist because he knows he's maybe put the team behind a step.

Myers? Not so much. If, during those bad games (and anyone saying he hasn't had them doesn't watch) he threw some big hits or did something to change momentum, sure. But often he's the start of a downward cycle that others have to pull us out of.

I like him. I'm glad he looks better but there's been good reason for some criticism. The others have their moments too, but his are often head scratchers.

I think the risk is worth the reward.

He has been the only big guy on the canucks for so long and he stopped playing like this because he would only get penalties.

So he was told to block.... but he is more of a screen than a block.

Getting back to this type hockey he is our guy, we need this in the playoffs. And he doesnt go off the ice for a bandaid or whatever soucy is doing.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It seems like when they can’t outwork us and we match their skill they play dirty and try and rope us into retaliatory penalties.

Thankfully our players have played it pretty smart for the most part and our pk has stepped up when we need it.

Coilers do the same, and then they do take penalties, just like last night, and we make them pay. It's a thing of beauty.

Speaking of penalties, Tocc has shown respect to the refsthis season, which will come in handy down the road. This season just feels different. We've been learning to play playoff hockey all season, and it just feels like we could actually win it all this year. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Seems like every team is playing super chippy against us lately.

Guess that’s the nature of being a top team. Forgot what it was like.

I notice they're taking a lot of runs at Quinn....maybe why he was pissed off. Teams get away with more than they should with him. Then he gets a crosschecking penalty (deserved, but why doesn't he get that blind eye treatment that others get against him?). Garland too.

These big tough guy teams pick their spots, don't they?

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

This was us the last 10 years… 

thankfully we aren’t there anymore…

this is kinda triggering…

TrelivIng is Benning 2.0.   He's just bad.  Makes panic moves to save his skin even if he has to destroy the future product as a result.  Short sighted and narrow thinking.  Reeks of Desperation, just like Benning.  Shanahan made a rushed decision hiring Treliving.   

Edited by Pure961089
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Coilers do the same, and then they do take penalties, just like last night, and we make them pay. It's a thing of beauty.

Speaking of penalties, Tocc has shown respect to the refsthis season, which will come in handy down the road. This season just feels different. We've been learning to play playoff hockey all season, and it just feels like we could actually win it all this year. 

Yup. These coaches don’t make excuses and the players don’t (now Horfat Wallet is gone) either. No excuses and expect to win every game. 

• Cheers 1