PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

Look

Im a Myers supporter, you might have seen my earlier post defending him.

But out of our Dmen he has 4th highest average time on the ice

Hes the highest time on ice dman for the PK. The part of the game where the team suffers the most. His play here can definitely be improved. So say Alvin goes and gets a beauty right shot dman who can PK really well and myers minutes here get cut by 1 minute then he is right there with Zadorov.

Since Myers has been in van he has averaged 21 to 22 minutes per game, which his numbers suggest that was too much.

this year now that hes down to 19 he is more effective but there is still room to improve on his takeaway/turnover rate which favours turnovers 3-1, this to me suggests he gets in a tough spot more often than one would like

Ideally he is the perfect number 5 defensemen who can move up as needed. What is helping him the most is that zadorov 18 mins atoi and Soucy 17.5 atoi are playing a bit more than average 5/6 defensemen as those two are very similar in that they are number 5 dmen who can play up when needed. This helps to keep myers’ minutes down a bit

Comparing Myers to Brandon Dillon of the jets

Dillon is better across the board at  advanced stats but trails by 3 points and is making 3.5/year. His play has been a little better than his career average this year but for the most part he has been solid since his time with

Both are utilized the same with Dillon having a higher dzone start and ending with a higher corsi and a better plus/minus

The major distinction with Myers is that this is a more solid year but he has a much better defensive group around him in a better system playing less minutes per game. 

My conclusion is that he is a great number 5 guy on a team and with him Turning 34 in 2 weeks signing him for 3 years at 3.25-3.5 is not far fetched

I'd say that's in the ballpark.  How the rest of the season and playoffs go will play a big role.

I doubt you'd get Dillon for that price again either

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

I'm okay with Juulsen if Myers is too expensive. 

I want D who can play D first. We have Hughes and Hronek to generate offense. 

I love Juuls, but he won't be in the top 4.  No chance

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I didn't say top 4. 

Myers is the #2 rhd, plays the 4th most mins on the team.  That's top 4

You want d who can play d........Myers plays pk and is always out there in the last min to protect the lead

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, stawns said:

Myers is the #2 rhd, plays the 4th most mins on the team.  That's top 4

You want d who can play d........Myers plays pk and is always out there in the last min to protect the lead

I really don't want Myers on this team, but if the team chooses to resign him, it's out my control. 

And no, Myers is not a #2 RHD. He's way too chaotic. 

If he's over-priced, then it's not worth the value. Let him go. 

Then, Juulsen is a solid option, under contract, cost controlled, and the brains in charge can make the moves to replace him. 

20 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Hmmm.

While I believe that Treliving may not be a shining example of a GM, he is no where close to be being as incompetent as Jim Benning was.

I think that history will place Jim Benning's name alongside that of Mad Mike Milbury's name as a one-two punch for who was the worst NHL GM of all time.

Treliving signed Reeves. That afforded the opportunity for Alvin to sign Lafferty.  Alvin identifies talent on another level.  He got DeSmith for Pearson and a 5th rounder.  He was actually able to move Beauvillier's contract and with that space signed Zadorov.  Nobody thought it was possible for Alvin to get out of those contracts. But he's done the impossible.  Benning ran the Canucks like a mom and pop shop.  He made desicions based on gut feeling.  The Canucks filter their decisions through a think tank.  It's on a whole other level now.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say that's in the ballpark.  How the rest of the season and playoffs go will play a big role.

I doubt you'd get Dillon for that price again either

After that dive into a few players im surprised they got him on that contract in the first place. Hes been solid in his numbers for years. Can see him getting 4-4.25/

with him being a UFA and a steady player from team to team to team its not risky to offer him a 4x3 year

for me with Myers, this year is out of the norm so there will be less pressure come free agency

• Vintage 1

Just now, Barn Burner said:

I really don't want Myers on this team, but if the team chooses to resign him, it's out my control. 

Then, Juulsen is a solid option, under contract, cost controlled, and the brains in charge can make the moves to replace him. 

Sorry, the numbers, the eye test and the coach would indicate otherwise.  You're confusing a terrible coach with the play of a player under that "system", or lack thereof

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Pure961089 said:

Treliving signed Reeves. That afforded the opportunity for Alvin to sign Lafferty.  Alvin identifies talent on another level.  He got DeSmith for Pearson and a 5th rounder.  He was actually able to move Beauvillier's contract and with that space signed Zadorov.  Nobody thought it was possible for Alvin to get out of those contracts. But he's done the impossible.  Benning ran the Canucks like a mom and pop shop.  He made desicions based of but instinct.  The Canucks filter their decisions through a think tank.  It's on a whole other level now.  

At the end, after COVID and the flat cap screwed his plan, he did.  Prior to COVID, he actually had a very logical, well laid progression for contracts and evolution of the team.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Sorry, the numbers, the eye test and the coach would indicate otherwise.  You're confusing a terrible coach with the play of a player under that "system", or lack thereof

You do realize, that's only your opinion? 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny said:

After that dive into a few players im surprised they got him on that contract in the first place. Hes been solid in his numbers for years. Can see him getting 4-4.25/

with him being a UFA and a steady player from team to team to team its not risky to offer him a 4x3 year

for me with Myers, this year is out of the norm so there will be less pressure come free agency

Really, the two season before this, are actually the outliers in his career.  This season is more of the norm for TM

5 minutes ago, Johnny said:

And I agree about Dillon, I wanted him in Van when he was in SJ

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's a pretty thin list, imo........right now, Myers is the best player on that list.  Maybe Pesce, but I don't think he's going to come cheap.  They could switchZad over to RD, which might be their best option if they think Myers will be too costly.

Stecher. I mean why do we not want Stecher to come home? Geez an upgrade over Soucy and/or Cole

• Haha 1

Just now, Tusk said:

Stecher. I mean why do we not want Stecher to come home? Geez an upgrade over Soucy and/or Cole

Stetcher is not an upgrade over either of those guys, imo.  He's not an upgrade on Juuls even i dont think.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I agree that Myers as 4th in minutes and #2 rhd isnt the best solution and can be improved upon, he is not at all terrible and is absolutely worth keeping around if the dollars work. He is showing he can play the role he is given well enough at the moment.

At the moment there isnt anyone in the system who can take those minutes from Myers out right. But if you look at the minutes of Cole Zadorov and Myers they are all quite close with Soucy having the least of the regulars at 17 and change

however Juulsen is only playing 14 minutes per game. When he is out there it puts more stress on the rest.

there is a huge reason the d have been healthy and thats because none of them are being overworked. Get Juulsen in over Myers and I guarantee injuries will start to pile up

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Numbers and public comments from the coach are an opinion?

Overall he's been playing better. But he was a shit show way too may times. (SportsNet, TSN and him apologizing to Tocchet in Nashville for his shit play is undeniable) 

He's not someone you can rely on. 

Unless he gets traded this TDL, he's here and we'll see how that all plays out. 

Last night wasn't too bad. I liked the aggressive play, but he made some choices that cost the team. 

You must be a major fanboy. 

I actually wish the guy could play a consistent game, for the sake of our team. 

But he's not someone I'd put my money on. 

My opinion. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And I agree about Dillon, I wanted him in Van when he was in SJ

I love when you see a player you want and follow them and see them work out

Ive wanted Tuch since he was playing 3rd line in vegas and Eriksson EK since his first season

• Upvote 1

My gut feeling is Myers at a 4 mil for 2 years wouldn’t be my first choice, but when you think about it, it might be the best option barring some serious moves. 

And to be fair, I really don’t have a “first choice” in mind that would be better than he’s played this year.  (Or available at a similar price point.)  Myers is on pace for like 35-40 points, 19-20 minutes a night.  Adds size and is mobile.  Pretty much what we need at this point if we’re making playoff runs.

Hesitancy is more a feeling about his age and the volatility of his play over the years that would make me want PA to kick around the league first.  But really, Myers has now had 3 good seasons and 2 bad ones by my estimation.  And if the team keeps this structure and Zadorov or Soucy is there to play with him he’s probably a safe bet vs bringing in someone new.

Logically, if he’s willing to sign in the 3’s I think you take it and run based on how the D has played this season.  If it creeps into the 4s it gets a lot less easy to pull the trigger, unless it’s a 1 year deal I guess.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Overall he's been playing better. But he was a shit show way too may times. (SportsNet, TSN and him apologizing to Tocchet in Nashville for his shit play is undeniable) 

He's not someone you can rely on. 

Unless he gets traded this TDL, he's here and we'll see how that all plays out. 

Last night wasn't too bad. I liked the aggressive play, but he made some choices that cost the team. 

You must be a major fanboy. 

I actually wish the guy could play a consistent game, for the sake of our team. 

But he's not someone I'd put my money on. 

My opinion. 

Sorry, Tocchet disagrees with you.  He's heaped praise on Myers this season and plays him in all critical situations.  

He plays top 4 mins, is on pace for 30+ points and is a solidly plus player.  I'm.not a fanboy, just someone who can see through the vitriol and a player who plays a very solid game night in and night out.

• Cheers 2