PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

The play of Myers, like a lot of players on this team, is night and day better under the current coaching staff. Structure has made a huge difference and is something a lot of fans have been calling for. It is a UFA year so that also needs to be considered but if Myers is open to a two or three year deal at sub $4M, mgmt needs to take it in my view. His play is improved and he would provide time for the young guys to develop.

With that being said, Hronek and Big Z should be the priority. I would be more than happy with the following to start next year (with upgrades at the TDL or during the season):

Hughes Hronek

Big Z Cole

Soucy Juulsen

Cole isn't a top 4 D, but I could see them flipping Zad to the right side and finding a #2 LD if they think Myers is too expensive.  However, RT clearly loves Myers and Myers clearly likes playing for RT........i think they come to some kind of reasonable agreement. 

FWIW with Zadorov I wouldn’t want to give him much of a raise AAV wise past 4 mil, but I’d give him some term.  Seems like a solid guy in every sense of the word.

Honestly, I could see management rolling back the same D core if they can make the salaries work and big ticket items don’t make sense.  Looks like the top 6 or keeping some of those luxury pieces in the bottom 6 might be more important than fiddling with the back end.  Especially with how Juulsen has played plus some solid rookies cooking and might be ready in 2 years or so. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, The Duke said:

FWIW with Zadorov I wouldn’t want to give him much of a raise AAV wise past 4 mil, but I’d give him some term.  Seems like a solid guy in every sense of the word.

Honestly, I could see management rolling back the same D core if they can make the salaries work and big ticket items don’t make sense.  Looks like the top 6 or keeping some of those luxury pieces in the bottom 6 might be more important than fiddling with the back end.

I can definitely see them bringing back this same group if Zad and Myers came in at a reasonable cost

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Sorry, Tocchet disagrees with you.  He's heaped praise on Myers this season and plays him in all critical situations.  

He plays top 4 mins, is on pace for 30+ points and is a solidly plus player.  I'm.not a fanboy, just someone who can see through the vitriol and a player who plays a very solid game night in and night out.

Like I said, I want him to do well for the sake of the team. But... 

And btw, there is no vitriol. This is actuality. He does not play a "solid game" night in and night out. 

He's been better lately, since he sucked it big time. And he still has that innate ability within. Let's hope he doesn't screw it up when it matters most. 

Get the facts straight. 

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Like I said, I want him to do well for the sake of the team. But... 

And btw, there is no vitriol. This is actuality. He does not play a "solid game" night in and night out. 

He's been better lately, since he sucked it big time. And he still has that innate ability within. Let's hope he doesn't screw it up when it matters most. 

Get the facts straight. 

I'm not sure you have a grasp on the terms "vitriol" and "facts".

52 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Isn't he their Captain?  And didn't we excoriate Bo for not doing that?

When your team is desperately trying to get a goal in the 3rd period of an important game,

it is foolish to take a penalty.  It's not about the crime; it's about the time.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure you have a grasp on the terms "vitriol" and "facts".

You either. You only seem to want to engage anyone for the sake of nothing. 

If you can't grasp the fact Myers sucked this year and still has that ability to do it again, then you have no friggin' clue. 

He's doing better lately, but... 

If you can't grasp the fact Myers sucked this year and still has that ability to do it again, then you have no friggin' clue. 

He plays top 4 mins

He plays pk

He plays in all crucial situations

Tocchet heaps praise on him

He's a 35ish point player

He's on pace for a +23

That's what my argument is based on, you know........facts.

Your argument is based on "he's chaotic"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

myers, like every one on the team, has had his dodgy moments. but it's only confirmation bias from previous years that has established a pattern in your mind this year because he has been consistently good almost from the outset. 

he's going to make mistakes, everybody does, but he has been reliable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, tas said:

myers, like every one on the team, has had his dodgy moments. but it's only confirmation bias from previous years that has established a pattern in your mind this year because he has been consistently good almost from the outset. 

Case in point.......the Nylander goal last night.  In no way was that Myers fault, but the usual suspects were ready to string him up in town square.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He plays top 4 mins

He plays pk

He's on pace for a +23

Good. You want to count on that this year, let's hope he can up his game. I did say I liked what he did last night, except a couple of goofs, but... 

Again, I'll be happy when he's gone. 

And yeah, that is my opinion, which I'm allowed. 

Good. You want to count on that this year, let's hope he can up his game. I did say I liked what he did last night, except a couple of goofs, but... 

Again, I'll be happy when he's gone. 

And yeah, that is my opinion, which I'm allowed. 

Never said you weren't

5 minutes ago, tas said:

He's been more reliable lately. 

He's still has that innate ability to be a gong show. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Remember, he said emphatically JT Miller was gone. 

Fact.

Myers has been AWFUL at times. Anyone who tries to argue against that is not watching the games.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Historically, with this fan base, once soured on a player, rarely does anyone sweeten. Its tradition handed down generation to generation and includes a litany of Canuck whipping boys (large, awkward d-men chief among these). 

This thread has proven an entertaining read today as it’s brought back lots of memories that pre-date even the Dana Murzyn years.

39 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I love when you see a player you want and follow them and see them work out

Ive wanted Tuch since he was playing 3rd line in vegas and Eriksson EK since his first season

You Sir, have a great eye for talent and taste in players. LOL

I've been a Tuch fan for years, EK has grown on me over the years as well. 

I felt the same way when we traded for JT Miller, loved his game...also a big Erik Cernak fan.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

He plays top 4 mins

He plays pk

He's on pace for a +23

He always got scored on or take penalty next minute after we score.Everything you can tolerate now,is impossible to tolerate in play off.

Geez dude, you're just too clever.

Wow. Grow up. 

Why in God's name would I want to grow up?  That's the beauty of gen x, we never had to.

Pretty sure I wasn't the one who started lobbing insults.  If you can't have a discussion without insulting, you should cease engaging in discussions