PGT - Canucks Win- Leaves Fall 2024-01-20

Sharpshooter

9 hours ago, Kragar said:

Oh yeah, for sure.

You're probably right, though, on 4M.  Which gets me to thinking... would it be worth it?  He's getting up in age, so might be looking for term to close his career out.  5-6 years at 4M might be scary at the end.  Short term at 4M I think would be fine, as long as his play continues.

6x6 ... ntc ... 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I can agree, it is indeed what it is, but exactly what is it?  From my experience, this endless riding of certain players is intellectually wasteful, it’s counter productive and perpetually negative despite any evidence to the contrary. And, as you have pointed out with your examples, unfair and premature.

I suspect that one would have to look inward to answer that question.  It seems to me that it

belongs to folks that are so emotionally engaged with their team that they feel victimized by

team losses, players having bad games, players not accomplishing what they should for

their pay scale, etc.  Or I could be just speaking out my arse.   🙃

I'm not a rabid fan, so I can only guess why folks act this way.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

The play of Myers, like a lot of players on this team, is night and day better under the current coaching staff. Structure has made a huge difference and is something a lot of fans have been calling for. It is a UFA year so that also needs to be considered but if Myers is open to a two or three year deal at sub $4M, mgmt needs to take it in my view. His play is improved and he would provide time for the young guys to develop.

With that being said, Hronek and Big Z should be the priority. I would be more than happy with the following to start next year (with upgrades at the TDL or during the season):

Hughes Hronek

Big Z Cole

Soucy Juulsen

20 hours ago, The Duke said:

My gut feeling is Myers at a 4 mil for 2 years wouldn’t be my first choice, but when you think about it, it might be the best option barring some serious moves. 

And to be fair, I really don’t have a “first choice” in mind that would be better than he’s played this year.  (Or available at a similar price point.)  Myers is on pace for like 35-40 points, 19-20 minutes a night.  Adds size and is mobile.  Pretty much what we need at this point if we’re making playoff runs.

Hesitancy is more a feeling about his age and the volatility of his play over the years that would make me want PA to kick around the league first.  But really, Myers has now had 3 good seasons and 2 bad ones by my estimation.  And if the team keeps this structure and Zadorov or Soucy is there to play with him he’s probably a safe bet vs bringing in someone new.

Logically, if he’s willing to sign in the 3’s I think you take it and run based on how the D has played this season.  If it creeps into the 4s it gets a lot less easy to pull the trigger, unless it’s a 1 year deal I guess.

I would be extremely wary of signing Myers again. He's been horrible for a lot of his time in Van. Only mere months ago people were still begging for him to be shot to the moon, or given away, even with a sweetener added. Sure, he's been decent this year, but we're the first place team in the NHL. Everyone but Kuz is playing unreal. What happens next year if things don't go as smoothly and were locked into another contract just hoping, wishing, and begging that we can somehow get rid of the chaos. Very wary of the positive recency bias. I say we get while the getting is good and thank our lucky stars he's not making 3-8 huge gaffes a game anymore.

There are also a lot of contract issues coming up due to the cap. No guarantee we'll be able to ice the exact same group next year that's allowing Myers to play a more simple game.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Mik has more problems than Kuz,mostly due to his knee surgery. I don't see him regaining his full mobility.  I'd put my money on Kuz bouncing back before Mik.

I think Milk needs more time to regain the full power in the leg Maybe the whole off season of training and a full training camp .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

@Sharpshooter Myers has been not too bad and getting better as we progress. ** see below for additional comment.

I am worried about that too Sharpie. The return of the Myers worst play at the worst time. He will be a huge physical bonus playoff time though if plays like he did in the bubble. He also took some massively costly penalties too so that's a definite concern.

Yeah, Gonchar, and I personally think Foote probably has the most influence. The one thing that is striking is to watch Myers in his own zone, and how he now returns to the front of our net during play. He almost looks like a computer player in EA Sports. He will look to get to the puck as it gets dumped in, if he can 100% get to it he will go and retrieve it. However, if there is any doubt he will immediately forget about the puck and skate to the right front of Demko and do a little button hook and just stand there no matter what is happening on the boards (like he should). I've seen it so frequently lately that it's very obvious it's in the coaching. It's about time someone explained this to him and instilled some simple rules for him to follow. Takes the decision making out of his hands. No more do we have to watch him making uncontested 4 foot passes to the opposition's best player (cough Hughes cough) right on the board hashmark's, while other players are wide open in front of the net.

Thank goodness someone finally got through to him. It eliminates him from constantly being out of position and making horrible decisions under pressure with the puck.

Also this is very reason why D has been generally healthier and avoid the unnecessary hits by letting them get the puck first if it's going to get them avoiding injury.  If they do get there first, they would make a quick pass and if it's 50/50 race, they generally let them go and would get in a 50/50 battles by pinning rather than hit him.  It is something I have noticed from all players on the team. They know from their experience that opponent forwards will hit harder if given a chance.   Forward also do not hit but rather pin them and it still works, they are now stuck in offensive zone and also helps to avoid commit a penalty and they still win the puck anyways.  Positioning is also the key, if you make a hit at end zone, you are out of position if the puck goes the other way.  One second of decision making avoiding unnecessary hit to backcheck also make the difference due to continue his pace backchecking than stop and starting to backcheck is harder due to a hit that stops his track that left him out of position.  This is a bit of a Sedin influenced also.  It is all about timing of a physical play, when to make a physical play and when to avoid it for strategy reason.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I think Milk needs more time to regain the full power in the leg Maybe the whole off season of training and a full training camp .

I'm in favor of ltir for him to do that. And going and get forward help with the savings. 

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would be extremely way of signing Myers again. He's been horrible for a lot of his time in Van. Only mere months ago people were still begging for him to be shot to the moon, or given away, even with a sweetener added. Sure, he's been decent this year, but we're the first place team in the NHL. Everyone but Kuz is playing unreal. What happens next year if things don't go as smoothly and were locked into another contract just hoping, wishing, and begging that we can somehow get rid of the chaos. Very wary of the positive recency bias. I say we get while the getting is good and thank our lucky stars he's not making 3-8 huge gaffes a game anymore.

There are also a lot of contract issues coming up due to the cap. No guarantee we'll be able to ice the exact same group next year that's allowing Myers to play a more simple game.

This is what I noticed on here, either a player is due to get a 10 million dollar raise or they need to be traded for so and at the drop of a hat.

This goes on whether the player had a good game or a good period or a bad play or a bad game.:classic_biggrin:

Myers has been playng great lately and I am interested to see what he can do for us in the playoffs, but after watching him for several years here, I have no grand illusions that he is a top 4 dman who is part of our core moving forward. 

If we can get him back cheap as a 5-6 defenseman, I would be OK with that.

32 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is what I noticed on here, either a player is due to get a 10 million dollar raise or they need to be traded for so and at the drop of a hat.

This goes on whether the player had a good game or a good period or a bad play or a bad game.:classic_biggrin:

Myers has been playng great lately and I am interested to see what he can do for us in the playoffs, but after watching him for several years here, I have no grand illusions that he is a top 4 dman who is part of our core moving forward. 

If we can get him back cheap as a 5-6 defenseman, I would be OK with that.

I hear what people are saying and there is some merit to keeping him .. I guess.

But, if I'm the GM I would be looking at other options first and keep Myers as a plan B, or preferably C option. One thing Allvin has done extremely well  is target/pick up defenceman this summer and beyond. They have dealt with Myers and his $6 mil contract but next year they can actually target someone of their choosing. Is this really the player everyone wants in our top 4? In addition Myers is a UFA this year (playing with incentive), and 34 next year to boot. Do we really want Myers in 2 or 3 years at 36+? Wouldn't it make more sense to target a player that is more long-term, or offers some better contributions to the team.

A lot of questions I know, which is why my preference is to attempt to upgrade that position and leave that gamble alone. I do have faith that Allvin will hopefully be thinking along those same lines.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I hear what people are saying and there is some merit to keeping him .. I guess.

But, if I'm the GM I would be looking at other options first and keep Myers as a plan B, or preferably C option. One thing Allvin has done extremely well  is target/pick up defenceman this summer and beyond. They have dealt with Myers and his $6 mil contract but next year they can actually target someone of their choosing. Is this really the player everyone wants in our top 4? In addition Myers is a UFA this year (playing with incentive), and 34 next year to boot. Do we really want Myers in 2 or 3 years at 36+? Wouldn't it make more sense to target a player that is more long-term, or offers some better contributions to the team.

A lot of questions I know, which is why my preference is to attempt to upgrade that position and leave that gamble alone. I do have faith that Allvin will hopefully be thinking along those same lines.

Yeah you are right, we now have that luxury of trusting this group. Its been awhile since we were able to do that.:classic_biggrin:

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Myers can still skate really well so age isn't the factor. 

It's more between the ears. Will he make dumb plays and turn the puck over / forget to cover his guy? 

Playoffs will be very telling. I would say wait and see what he does this playoffs. 

If he plays amazingly and prices himself out, maybe we can trade him this offseason for a 3rd on a sign and trade. Maybe he likes where this team is at and elects to sign for less here. 

Maybe he costs this team the playoffs with a blunder and we run him out of town... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• Jess unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers can still skate really well so age isn't the factor. 

It's more between the ears. Will he make dumb plays and turn the puck over / forget to cover his guy? 

Playoffs will be very telling. I would say wait and see what he does this playoffs. 

If he plays amazingly and prices himself out, maybe we can trade him this offseason for a 3rd on a sign and trade. Maybe he likes where this team is at and elects to sign for less here. 

Maybe he costs this team the playoffs with a blunder and we run him out of town... 

This is a very solid plan.

I just don't trust him after the last 2 years myself if I was forced to make a decision today. Surely there is more than 1 defender left in the world that wants to play hockey with the Vancouver Canucks. We shouldn't pigeon hole ourselves in my opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Coilers do the same, and then they do take penalties, just like last night, and we make them pay. It's a thing of beauty.

Speaking of penalties, Tocc has shown respect to the refsthis season, which will come in handy down the road. This season just feels different. We've been learning to play playoff hockey all season, and it just feels like we could actually win it all this year. 

This has helped immensely. No more whining. just go out and do your thing . If a call goes against you let the Captain argue it.

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, yah I do that too sometimes. Great angle! I have bet on the Canucks a number of times this year though. Been very good to me.

Yes, if you were a real loyal fan and bet on the Nucks at the beginning of the year, you would have made a killing when everyone thought they were going to suck.  Imagine a bet in October for the Nucks to win the cup!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I can agree, it is indeed what it is, but exactly what is it?  From my experience, this endless riding of certain players is intellectually wasteful, it’s counter productive and perpetually negative despite any evidence to the contrary. And, as you have pointed out with your examples, unfair and premature.

Yes, yes....intellectually wasteful.

On a discussion board where opinions aren't all the same/shared....to label one side as negative because you don't share it.

Whereas:

Lotto line looks like its blotto

is of much more value because it was your observation/commentary.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

Yes, if you were a real loyal fan and bet on the Nucks at the beginning of the year, you would have made a killing when everyone thought they were going to suck.  Imagine a bet in October for the Nucks to win the cup!

I did this. We were in Vegas last September and I put $20 down on the Canucks to win the Cup this year. It pays $1,500.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Yes, yes....intellectually wasteful.

On a discussion board where opinions aren't all the same/shared....to label one side as negative because you don't share it.

Whereas:

is of much more value because it was your observation/commentary.

Except focussing in on one player and continually deriding him is, in fact, negative. I’m commenting on the actual substance of those observations and not giving my opinion. I’ve only commented that I’m entertained by the constant need to viscerate certain players and how it’s long history in this market seems almost to be a right of passage for some Canuck fans. 

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I did this. We were in Vegas last September and I put $20 down on the Canucks to win the Cup this year. It pays $1,500.

OMG that is amazing!  Even more reason to cheer this year as if we needed it.  I will be thinking about this all post-season!

18 hours ago, stawns said:

Cole isn't a top 4 D, but I could see them flipping Zad to the right side and finding a #2 LD if they think Myers is too expensive.  However, RT clearly loves Myers and Myers clearly likes playing for RT........i think they come to some kind of reasonable agreement. 

Cole can play top 4 mins to start a season. Is it ideal? No but have to build the best team under the cap. Certainly a spot that would need to be improved during the season or at the TDL.

Or everything could get flipped on its head if EP signs for below market value or the team has to trade him because he only accepts his QO.

7 hours ago, AmyTheGma said:

Yeah I wasn't that ballsy unfortunately 🙂 but I've bet about 20-25 games and I think I only lost 3 or 4 times or something. I don't bet crazy money but I must have made a couple hundred at least.

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I wasn't that ballsy unfortunately 🙂 but I've bet about 20-25 games and I think I only lost 3 or 4 times or something. I don't bet crazy money but I must have made a couple hundred at least.

Drake lite, can you imagine dropping 500k just like it’s nothing?