Exactly one year ago, Bruce Boudreau was fired as head coach. How have we (the fans) moved on from that saga?

Miss Korea

BRUCE THERE IT IS  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you forgiven management for how they handled the Bruce Boudreau firing?

• STRONGLY AGREE - Management handled it fairly and this past year has justified it
    • AGREE - Management has atoned for their mistakes by turning this franchise a full 180°
    • NEITHER - I don't put much thought into the past and simply try to enjoy the "now"
    • DISAGREE - The lack of professionalism has made me hesitant about this team, even during the good times
    • STRONGLY DISAGREE - The organization embarrassed themselves and I cannot support this regime (but I can support the players)

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'm saying it's moot. If you are paid to be a pro, be a pro.

You should be holding Jim Rutherford to the same standard.  He was the main culprit for being unprofessional.

Bruce did what he could, working for a management team that had given up on him.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gurn said:

I wish he was smart enough to realize that publicly dissing the coach is not smart.

If the big boss man is bad mouthing the coach- why would players respect the coach?

Dead coach walking from the day that J.R. opened his yap.

We don't know what was discussed behind the scenes.

I still think had Bruce walked from his option year here, he'd be coaching somewhere right now.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

You should be holding Jim Rutherford to the same standard.  He was the main culprit for being unprofessional.

Bruce did what he could, working for a management team that had given up on him.

JR atoned for it. Do you think he should have been fired? 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm saying it's moot. If you are paid to be a pro, be a pro.

Rutherford chose to not follow that advise though.  He should have known that opening his trap and throwing the coach under the bus in public was going to cause problems, and frankly he should have been fired on the spot the minute it became clear that he wasn't going to start acting like a professional.  There's simply no excuse for how this dirtbag acted, and it's clear he hasn't learned with his recent comments about Kuzmenko.  It's sad to see someone with his character issues in charge.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think he should have learned his lesson, and done what he said he would do.

Keep his mouth shut.

Guy does well, until there is a microphone in front of him. He admits his 'openness' is an issue, goes silent for many peaceful months.

Then signs an extension and promptly throws hand grenades out into the public again.

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No.  But I also don't think his current success exonerates him from the mistakes he's made in the past.  A lot folks are acting like this was Bruce's fault in hindsight (like yourself), or it was the media's fault.  That's just wrong, and good times shouldn't alter what's already happened.

23 minutes ago, tas said:

I wish we were grown up enough that he didn't feel like he had to zip it, but he knows we can't handle honesty without having tantrums. 

Rutherford did exactly that - throw tantrums in front of the media.  Honesty without compassion is just cruelty.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I think he should have learned his lesson, and done what he said he would do.

Keep his mouth shut.

Guy does well, until there is a microphone in front of him. He admits his 'openness' is an issue, goes silent for many peaceful months.

Then signs an extension and promptly throws hand grenades out into the public again.

I missed it, what new grenade is there? 

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

No.  But I also don't think his current success exonerates him from the mistakes he's made in the past.  A lot folks are acting like this was Bruce's fault in hindsight (like yourself), or it was the media's fault.  That's just wrong, and good times shouldn't alter what's already happened.

Rutherford did exactly that - throw tantrums in front of the media.  Honesty without compassion is just cruelty.

well, dunno. I tend to like to forgive and move on if people try to atone, but maybe others don't and need to keep beating on people for mistakes? 

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I wish he was smart enough to realize that publicly dissing the coach is not smart.

If the big boss man is bad mouthing the coach- why would players respect the coach?

Dead coach walking from the day that J.R. opened his yap.

if the media puts him in a position to either be honest or tell a lie, I try to be mature enough to handle the truth. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

well, dunno. I tend to like to forgive and move on if people try to atone, but maybe others don't and need to keep beating on people for mistakes? 

Again, I've largely accepted Jim as a good executive in terms of improving the team.

But it's the one-year mark and I felt like it was a good opportunity to reflect back.  And honestly, I'm surprised with the reception here.  Because I think Jim has atoned for some of his mistakes, but others think that he never made any mistakes in the first place and did nothing wrong.  The good he's doing now shouldn't erase the wrongs he did in the past.

• Cheers 1

Again, I've largely accepted Jim as a good executive in terms of improving the team.

But it's the one-year mark and I felt like it was a good opportunity to reflect back.  And honestly, I'm surprised with the reception here.  Because I think Jim has atoned for some of his mistakes, but others think that he never made any mistakes in the first place and did nothing wrong.  The good he's doing now shouldn't erase the wrongs he did in the past.

my pov is that everyone involved is a well paid pro. And with that, when a mistake is made, you suck it up. Its what you're being paid for. Thats just how I see it. 

What's done is in the past.

I did NOT like how it went down, but understand why it did.

Bruce was perfect for what we needed in the moment...guys needed a boost of confidence. A cheerleader. A guy who'd go to battle beside them and take the shots being fired at them. Pull them out of the ditch and get them going again. At a time when they felt pretty shitty about themselves, he brought in "the belt" and stuff to help them celebrate the small victories. To focus on being positive.

But it did grow stale and something new was in order. More structured and focused.

I do not forget the one guy who stayed beside Bruce on the bench as he left in that uncomfortable moment/game.....JT. Speaks volumes to me about his integrity and how much of a team player he is. He's a guy (like Bieksa was) who'll go down with the ship. But also goes down swinging. This team would be so much different if JT had moved on (as some were certain he would). I'd hate it. He's the glue.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

if the media puts him in a position to either be honest or tell a lie, I try to be mature enough to handle the truth. 

You are mistaking tactlessness for honesty and maturity.  You shouldn't criticize your own guys in front of the media.  Would you criticize your own child in a public speech?  What purpose does that serve?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

my pov is that everyone involved is a well paid pro. And with that, when a mistake is made, you suck it up. Its what you're being paid for. Thats just how I see it. 

Bruce is doing well for himself.  He's just a highly emotional person with a likeable personality.  It's not everyday you get to see your (likely) NHL retirement get played out in such dramatic fashion.  That's nothing to be ashamed of.  Had this been a more brooding, surly guy like Travis Green getting paraded, he would not have garnered the same reaction.

They are professionals who are paid well, but they are also human beings with real emotions.

• Cheers 1

I missed it, what new grenade is there? 

IMG_4572.thumb.jpeg.76a23382bdd6531fc4bd5c68314bae41.jpg.39dbfb68f17eb22d4d1508ca299eb80e.jpg

And there were comments about a  possible Pettersson trade in the offseason- at least according to Tas:

Sat asked if they're fine with waiting until the summer with Pettersson. Rutherford basically said yeah, it's too big of a trade to make right now and upset the applecart. He brought up trading Pettersson himself if no deal done. Wasn't even asked about trading him.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are mistaking tactlessness for honesty and maturity.  You shouldn't criticize your own guys in front of the media.  Would you criticize your own child in a public speech?  What purpose does that serve?

Bruce is doing well for himself.  He's just a highly emotional person with a likeable personality.  It's not everyday you get to see your (likely) NHL retirement get played out in such dramatic fashion.  That's nothing to be ashamed of.  Had this been a more brooding, surly guy like Travis Green getting paraded, he would not have garnered the same reaction.

They are professionals who are paid well, but they are also human beings with real emotions.

I get that. It's just how I personally feel about professionalism. 

Just now, Gurn said:

IMG_4572.thumb.jpeg.76a23382bdd6531fc4bd5c68314bae41.jpg.39dbfb68f17eb22d4d1508ca299eb80e.jpg

And there were comments about a  possible Pettersson trade in the offseason- at least according to Tas:

Sat asked if they're fine with waiting until the summer with Pettersson. Rutherford basically said yeah, it's too big of a trade to make right now and upset the applecart. He brought up trading Pettersson himself if no deal done. Wasn't even asked about trading him.

thanks, but I fail to see the "grenade" here. He stated facts we all know. 

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

why would a paid employee entreated the same way as one's child?

what purpose? here's my theory. bruce knew last year that rutherford and allvin didn't want him back, yet he chose to exercise his option anyway. rutherford felt no need to be shy, when asked, about making it clear that bruce isn't his choice. 

thanks, but I fail to see the "grenade" here. He stated facts we all know. 

Publicly talking about trading players- is not good for 

asset value

not good for the player that is trying to get better.

Kuze has been taken to task for his defensive play, is getting helped by the coaches, seems to be getting better, and earning his spot back in the line up;  and now the POHO  talks about him scoring for a different team.   

Undercuts the player in public, just like he under cut the coach in public. 

Again, just keep your mouth shut J.R. and do all the stuff you do well, behind the scenes; let Alvin or that Canuck 'reporter' do the public speaking- like you said you would.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

why would a paid employee entreated the same way as one's child?

what purpose? here's my theory. bruce knew last year that rutherford and allvin didn't want him back, yet he chose to exercise his option anyway. rutherford felt no need to be shy, when asked, about making it clear that bruce isn't his choice. 

Then just fire him.  He fired him anyway.  What was the point of waiting for an extra four months?  Stop complaining and being GUN-SHY, and just cut him loose!

You're being completely unrealistic by expecting someone to resign and forfeit his job for no good reason.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Publicly talking about trading players- is not good for 

asset value

since when? do you really thing Allvin and crew aren't working the phones daily on actual moves, vs media yap?

Just now, Gurn said:

not good for the player that is trying to get better.

again, why? honesty is something players seem to appreciate about this current management group. 

Just now, Gurn said:

Kuze has been taken to task for his defensive play, is getting helped by the coaches, seems to be getting better, and earning his spot back in the line up;  and now the POHO  talks about him scoring for a different team.   

Undercuts the player in public, just like he under cut the coach in public. 

again, no new info there. 

Just now, Gurn said:

Again, just keep your mouth shut J.R. and do all the stuff you do well, behind the scenes; let Alvin or that Canuck 'reporter' do the public speaking- like you said you would.

dunno, I don't see it as a big thing, but I can see how others can be rubbed the wrong way. 

I did like what I saw out of Kuzy last night tho, he looked way more engaged. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

There was just so much joy at being free from Greens era and seeing a glimpse of what this core could be, it was always going to end poorly with Bruce. 

Reality is he coached badly in year 2. He couldn't assemble a good staff. He chose to come back for an option year he should have walked away from.

Why would anyone walk away from a job though? The whole thing was a mess, I don't blame Rutherford/Allvin for preferring another coach but the way Rutherford there Boudreau under the bus publicly was pretty unprofessional.

• Cheers 1

Then just fire him.  He fired him anyway.  What was the point of waiting for an extra four months?  Stop complaining and being GUN-SHY, and just cut him loose!

You're being completely unrealistic by expecting someone to resign and forfeit his job for no good reason.

the team is entitled to perform their internal process for choosing a new coach. the media decided to dig, made the private process public, and then proceeded to harangue all parties involved until things came to a head, all while trying to shame canucks management for allowing it to happen when it was they themselves who had done it.

give me a break. 

reporter: asks moronic question that makes bruce cry.

also reports: OH MY GOD LOOK WHAT YOU DID YOU MADE BRUCE CRY YOU MONSTERS 

again, why? honesty is something players seem to appreciate about this current management group. 

Some things should be kept behind closed doors, which Rutherford lacks the professionalism to understand.