Exactly one year ago, Bruce Boudreau was fired as head coach. How have we (the fans) moved on from that saga?

Miss Korea

BRUCE THERE IT IS  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Have you forgiven management for how they handled the Bruce Boudreau firing?

• STRONGLY AGREE - Management handled it fairly and this past year has justified it
    • AGREE - Management has atoned for their mistakes by turning this franchise a full 180°
    • NEITHER - I don't put much thought into the past and simply try to enjoy the "now"
    • DISAGREE - The lack of professionalism has made me hesitant about this team, even during the good times
    • STRONGLY DISAGREE - The organization embarrassed themselves and I cannot support this regime (but I can support the players)

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

No, you wouldn't. You'd take the money to tide you over until you found something else. If you didn't you'd be daft.

speak for yourself. I have self respect. 

Edited by tas

6 minutes ago, tas said:

speak for yourself. I have self respect. 

Self Respect? Boudreau was getting paid to coach a hockey team.

It's not like he's earning money by defrauding people or is in a Gas Company fracking small towns. 

Edited by iinatcc

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seravelli reported JR went to the owner after year one of BB and asked to replace him. The owner said no. The owner should have listened. 

Rutherford should have accepted a no instead of choosing to sabotage the coach instead.  The owner should have fired Rutherford the minute it became clear that he wasn't willing to conduct himself like a professional.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rutherford should have accepted a no instead of choosing to sabotage the coach instead.  The owner should have fired Rutherford the minute it became clear that he wasn't willing to conduct himself like a professional.

1st in the league, Rutherford is fine. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Fired JR? Holy craperolla! Our best management since Gillis. We are lucky to have JR. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

It's a business

Bruce.is a very likable guy but seriously this seems so over dramatic

If we got over Linden being traded we can get over firing of a coach with a loosing record who was on a 1 year contract.

When they only resigned him for a year pretty much everyone should have clued in they deemed.bruce a place.holder while they waited for their top choice 

Again ... It's a business and Bruce had only been here a very short time. I could understand if he had been here for a decade with great success and they fired him this way 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think it's this part that I was referring too

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bruce-boudreaus-contract-with-canucks-contains-multiple-options/

But once you are in a position where you would Forfeit a years salary ($2 million) and decide to do so, keep me posted.

Otherwise none of us can judge Boudreau for thinking taking care of himself and family is more important than the success of the team. Hockey is only hockey, but people need to have financial security and put food in their table. 

And this is coming from a guy that has already decided to take a paycut (15% to 30% pending bonsues) so I could work in a less toxic/political environment. And I still refuse to judge him. 

Bruce is almost 70.  He's accumulated multiple millions of dollars already as a player and coach. Do you really think he feels a great need to provide for his family at this stage?  I can see it with a younger coach, who never played much in the NHL, and who hasn't already filled his nest egg.  He didn't need the money.  He wanted to coach though, which is why he gladly stayed on those last two weeks.

But CFF Petey has also pointed out that the decision to keep him this season was also Francesco's decision.  He hired him. He'd have to pay out the contract.  Add that to the success of last season in our winning percentage BB oversaw, JR didn't have much to stand on if he wanted to let Bruce go last summer.  I suspect both owner and president agreed to let it play out and see if Bruce could keep it going, and also be convinced to implement more structure.

And after a couple of months its was clear that Bruce had not been able to establish any kind of structural discipline, and the owner also realized it, and agreed that JR could start the process of looking for another coach. Or rather continue talking to Tocchet more likely.

Anyways, I'm still gobsmacked that so much time is spent on feeling bad for a mulitmillionaire who lived out his dream of being a star in the NHL, then coaching various teams to a winning record including a Jack Adams, and a Presidents Trophy......all because he chose to coach for two more weeks, and not hand it over to Yeo. No way he was forced to stay behind the bench. He obviously wanted to make it last as long as possible.  Good for him. He got an awesome send off.  Was it all a little messy, sure, but I find the degree of angst about it kind of funny and quite odd.

Edited by kilgore
  • ThereItIs 2

11 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

so many coaches the last decade, its all a blurr
AV, i do remember and quite enjoyed

AV introduced our team to the turn the other cheek attitude that has haunted us and wasted the last decade+. Terrible coach, we should have had 2 or 3 Cups already.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

AV introduced our team to the turn the other cheek attitude that has haunted us and wasted the last decade+. Terrible coach, we should have had 2 or 3 Cups already.

Overall, I don't think he was a bad coach at all.  He got the most out of his core players.  He created a structure and system that won a lot of games.  BUT, to your point, the turn the other cheek and get even with a power play goal was bullshit.  It bred a culture that was about cheap shots (to get even), and diving (to draw more penalties).  A big reason we were hated around the league and didn't get the calls by the refs when we needed them.  

I didn't see it (or want too) back then, but with hindsight, we were a bit of a dirty team. 

Beyond the Sedins, Hamhuis, Raymond, Malholtra, Hansen and Higgins... We had some real aholes on our team.  

I know it was a different era of hockey... And in someway that was the norm but IF we had a coach that allowed us to stand our ground and push back, we'd have had more respect towards our team from other teams, refs, and fans alike.

That is one of the major defining character qualities separating the 94' team and 2011.  I think with our current team, we are much closer in character to the 94' than the 2011.  We can beat you up, out work you, out skate you, out score you and out grit you on most nights.  Yhis team is commanding respect around the league and they deserve it.

Edited by Hogs and Podz

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

Bruce is almost 70.  He's accumulated multiple millions of dollars already as a player and coach. Do you really think he feels a great need to provide for his family at this stage?  I can see it with a younger coach, who never played much in the NHL, and who hasn't already filled his nest egg.  He didn't need the money.  He wanted to coach though, which is why he gladly stayed on those last two weeks.

But CFF Petey has also pointed out that the decision to keep him this season was also Francesco's decision.  He hired him. He'd have to pay out the contract.  Add that to the success of last season in our winning percentage BB oversaw, JR didn't have much to stand on if he wanted to let Bruce go last summer.  I suspect both owner and president agreed to let it play out and see if Bruce could keep it going, and also be convinced to implement more structure.

And after a couple of months its was clear that Bruce had not been able to establish any kind of structural discipline, and the owner also realized it, and agreed that JR could start the process of looking for another coach. Or rather continue talking to Tocchet more likely.

Anyways, I'm still gobsmacked that so much time is spent on feeling bad for a mulitmillionaire who lived out his dream of being a star in the NHL, then coaching various teams to a winning record including a Jack Adams, and a Presidents Trophy......all because he chose to coach for two more weeks, and not hand it over to Yeo. No way he was forced to stay behind the bench. He obviously wanted to make it last as long as possible.  Good for him. He got an awesome send off.  Was it all a little messy, sure, but I find the degree of angst about it kind of funny and quite odd.

I think whether he's well off or not is irrelevant here. In the end he made a decision based on what he felt what was right for him and his family. No one should be criticized as being called selfish (as what some people claim he was) because he was looking out of the financial security for him and his family over a hockey organization especially if that said organization is the one that came up with the contract to begin with. 

• Vintage 1

I agree that much of it was media driven. Not just sports media groups, but social media too. 40 plus years ago stuff like this rarely would be public knowledge. But getting back to the topic....................

I went with NEITHER. Basically cuz it's a philosophy of life I go by. I mean sh*t happens, right? It's done and we move on. I don't have a thought either way whether it's forgiveness, anger, disappointment, joy, whatever! 

Aquaman is a fanboy. He loves his Canucks as much as the rest of us. He just happens to be a fanboy owner that has money to burn. With regards to how he uses that money to get his beloved Vancouver Canucks Lord Stanley? Well, it's obvious that it's a learning process for him. Perhaps getting BB before implementing a front office management team was a mistake; I'm sure Aquaman's motivation in his mind, was that he felt it was in the best interest of the team. Fanboy mindset with money. 

I'm happy where we are and Im sure he is too. Really. It seems JR has dumbed down his rich kid with fanboy tendencies. Thanks Jimmy!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

6 hours ago, Sativika said:

I agree that much of it was media driven. Not just sports media groups, but social media too. 40 plus years ago stuff like this rarely would be public knowledge. But getting back to the topic....................

I went with NEITHER. Basically cuz it's a philosophy of life I go by. I mean sh*t happens, right? It's done and we move on. I don't have a thought either way whether it's forgiveness, anger, disappointment, joy, whatever! 

Aquaman is a fanboy. He loves his Canucks as much as the rest of us. He just happens to be a fanboy owner that has money to burn. With regards to how he uses that money to get his beloved Vancouver Canucks Lord Stanley? Well, it's obvious that it's a learning process for him. Perhaps getting BB before implementing a front office management team was a mistake; I'm sure Aquaman's motivation in his mind, was that he felt it was in the best interest of the team. Fanboy mindset with money. 

I'm happy where we are and Im sure he is too. Really. It seems JR has dumbed down his rich kid with fanboy tendencies. Thanks Jimmy!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

This

Aquaman, after years of playing co-GM with a hapless stooge he hired to fulfill his masterplan of "getting into the playoffs and anything can happen" plan, and that failing miserably, he finally thought he'd redeemed himself as GM material with the hire of Boudreau.  And to  be fair, Bruce was probably the most qualified coach he ever hired, with a winning record etc. But after an initial surge of the club, and Francesco strutting around town and thinking he also deserved a theme song, that hire eventually proved to be a bad decision for the long haul.

My hope is that that was the last straw, the final indicator, to prove to Aquaman that maybe its better to leave running a hockey operation to actual experienced hockey minds.

On 1/21/2024 at 9:17 AM, Miss Korea said:

If there is guy in your workplace who needs to be fired, you best thing to do is fire him first.  There are tons of guys who can fill in and cover for him (ie. Mike Yeo) until you find a replacement.

The worst thing to do is to publicly complain about him over and over again while watching the situation get worse.

well, sometimes people in workplaces get fired by having security come into their office and get marched out of the building in front everyone.  Pretty embarrassing don’t you think?

life is tough.  Shit happens.  Loved Bruce but he wasn’t the right coach.  He was paid well for his time here.  

I wasn’t happy with how the firing went down.  Could have been done better.  JR apologized.  Most of us here have moved on.