[Discussion] Kuzmenko > Mikheyev

DexM94

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Our best bet is to trade Kuz and add a quality scoring winger good enough to help us warrant splitting the lotto line. 

If a team had a quality scoring winger, they would just keep him and not take a risk trading him away.  And if the team was selling, they would be rebuilding and have no use for a 28-year old guy earning $5M on the fourth line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

If a team had a quality scoring winger, they would just keep him and not take a risk trading him away.  And if the team was selling, they would be rebuilding and have no use for a 28-year old guy earning $5M on the fourth line.

Kuz’ names out there in the rumor mill because he’s a low cost asset atm. A team could be willing to take a chance. Canucks may be willing to lose him for scraps or even pay a sweetener if no one’s interested. We won’t know till we know. 

We don’t have to get all the moves we want in one trade. It’s not how we got Hronek, Zadorov or Bear. 

Teams would move quality players if the situation calls for it. There are many factors to take into account. Everyone’s situation is unique. What one team would do another team wouldn’t. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mikheyev is one of our top penalty killers.  He plays the Tocchet way and so Tocchet trusts him.  He is not the problem.  Suter isn't a 2C which throws the entire line off.  They either need to turn it into a true scoring line with Kuzmenko on it or they need to turn it into a true shutdown line and take Kuzmenko off if it.

before doing anything, I would like to see Joshua center that line for a couple weeks. When Kuzy has the puck he is looking for someone open, Joshua can get open. Kuz always ends up losing it or having to dump around the boards because Suter isnt open, or is changing or hasnt come out on the ice yet. Teddy and Garly could work with anyone, Hogz, Podz, pretty much anyone and be successful

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

I never even look at that part.  But since you're mentioning it...

image.png.207b2f2808c8f2d151583fea306591cc.png image.png.70eac618463ae21611bbdfd1cc0ec998.png

Imagine what Hoglander could do with 2nd liner TOI 

14 minutes ago, Tusk said:

before doing anything, I would like to see Joshua center that line for a couple weeks. When Kuzy has the puck he is looking for someone open, Joshua can get open. Kuz always ends up losing it or having to dump around the boards because Suter isnt open, or is changing or hasnt come out on the ice yet. Teddy and Garly could work with anyone, Hogz, Podz, pretty much anyone and be successful

I'd rather just go out and get a proper 2C instead of messing with another line.  Or you move Petey back to centre and move Hoglander up to the Miller line and Suter back to the 4th line...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather just go out and get a proper 2C instead of messing with another line.  Or you move Petey back to centre and move Hoglander up to the Miller line and Suter back to the 4th line...

I really like when they have interchangeable pieces. if they can grow chemistry between different line combos they can really mix things up when its obvious the other team is matching or pre-scouted. The lotto line would have been better last night if they split. 

If we had a live, fully configurable line up depending on the needs, that will go deep come playoff time, as there will be injuries, game misconducts, and even just opponents who are well coached and know our moves.

6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Kuzmenko is a soft defensively poor goal scorer who is not producing. 
Mik is a forechecker and defensive winger meant to dig out pucks, go to the net, hustle back and kill penalties.  He does a lot more than score goals. Before he came to us he was well known for getting lots of breakaways and wide open shots and firing them off into the corner of the rink. He has never been a great offensive player, wasn’t brought in to be a great offensive player and isn’t paid to be a great offensive player. He is there to fill a role and fills it well, any secondary offence is just gravy. 

Look at the plus/minus from last night. You can have your opinions but geez, do a little bit of research and make sure the eye test works (watch the game again on pvr)

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

Look at the plus/minus from last night. You can have your opinions but geez, do a little bit of research and make sure the eye test works (watch the game again on pvr)

Haha. Okay great job +/- 0. 0 shots, 0 points, 0 hits, second lowest among forwards for ice time.

And yes, he had a much better game and still came up 0 in every major stat category. 
Watched the game, don’t need to PVR.  It was nice to see Tocchet trust him a little at the end of the game. 
Still looks like a soft goal scoring winger who isn’t scoring to me. 
You can believe he is a power forward if you like. I have no problem with that, believe what you want. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To me I think a 2C would be nice or bigger trade getting a RHD and C.

Hate to say it but a true playmaker would help Mike and Kuz.

What do we have to trade

Suter or Blu,Podz,Woo a 1st and 2025 5th???? Or something.

• Cheers 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

What do we have to trade

No chance we trade either Suter or Bluger. Very unlikely we trade anyone (other than Kuz Missile) off our roster. 
Our 2024 first and a top prospect (not yet a pro in NA) are what JR said we would look at moving for the right player. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No chance we trade either Suter or Bluger. Very unlikely we trade anyone (other than Kuz Missile) off our roster. 
Our 2024 first and a top prospect (not yet a pro in NA) are what JR said we would look at moving for the right player. 

Well I am all for trading to get better but so far our prospects looks great and I wouldn't trade any of our top 5.

If a C has another year or two you have to move players that will be ufa's.

The team trading for them can then flip them for a pick.

I just hope we get a good hockey deal that doesn't hurt us moving forward.Or just keep what we have and go play on.

• Vintage 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

Well I am all for trading to get better but so far our prospects looks great and I wouldn't trade any of our top 5.

If a C has another year or two you have to move players that will be ufa's.

The team trading for them can then flip them for a pick.

I just hope we get a good hockey deal that doesn't hurt us moving forward.Or just keep what we have and go play on.

That Pinto kid is a guy that looks pretty good. Not too sure the cost to acquire though. 

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

What do we have to trade

How much better of a playmaker than Petey would you need to get Mikheyev and Kuzmenko going? They literally had one of the best playmakers in the league centering them and they couldn’t produce. 

They should move Petey back to center the 2nd line and find a winger for him that can actually produce. Sorry to say but Mikheyev on a cup contender is a great 3rd liner but he’s a mediocre at best as a 2nd liner.

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

How much better of a playmaker than Petey would you need to get Mikheyev and Kuzmenko going? They literally had one of the best playmakers in the league centering them and they couldn’t produce. 

They should move Petey back to center the 2nd line and find a winger for him that can actually produce. Sorry to say but Mikheyev on a cup contender is a great 3rd liner but he’s a mediocre at best as a 2nd liner.

Again last time I will explain this.

Both players last couple of games are up minutes when we are ahead.

That is called a " team game".

The coach was happy with the win.

Yes they both are capable of more,but when you are winning taking precision time off the clock is as important as scoring goals.

If we lost more games then we won that's usually either players not following directions, which here ain't the case, or bad coaching, again not the case.

One might get traded, but as is we are a great team and taking away from it will hurt us.

So your opinion is yours great.

But most see it as a team game the coach is coaching and both players are doing their job.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Again last time I will explain this.

Both players last couple of games are up minutes when we are ahead.

That is called a " team game".

The coach was happy with the win.

Yes they both are capable of more,but when you are winning taking precision time off the clock is as important as scoring goals.

If we lost more games then we won that's usually either players not following directions, which here ain't the case, or bad coaching, again not the case.

One might get traded, but as is we are a great team and taking away from it will hurt us.

So your opinion is yours great.

But most see it as a team game the coach is coaching and both players are doing their job.

So if we don’t care if they score or not, and we’re winning with them both not scoring, then does it not make sense to move both of them and just bring in two players making 2 mil each that are just grinders and know how to run down the time? Get real bro. They’re paid 5 mil and 5.5 mil to score and put up points - not for their ability to run down the time. You can find defensive forwards for much less than 5 million if that’s what you’re looking for. They’re simply underperforming. 

30 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

So if we don’t care if they score or not, and we’re winning with them both not scoring, then does it not make sense to move both of them and just bring in two players making 2 mil each that are just grinders and know how to run down the time? Get real bro. They’re paid 5 mil and 5.5 mil to score and put up points - not for their ability to run down the time. You can find defensive forwards for much less than 5 million if that’s what you’re looking for. They’re simply underperforming. 

LOL so if they start scoring and we trade them for less then worth you will still be happy???

Players with skill have ups and downs in the NHL.Si your answer is to trade anyone that goes more then ten games with not putting up points???

Very glad you are not a GM for any sport.

Both still helping us win I will take that but guess you won't so be it.

13 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Mik is 15th in 4 on 5 ice time. Hardly a top pker

He pk'd a bit last year 10th he was part of our historically bad PK unit. He had 0 blocks 0 takeaways 3rd worst goals against per 60 3rd worst high danger shots against per 60.

Mikheyev's defensive ability is over stated in reality he's just not that good.

Yeah I agree over rated for defense. He was known for break aways on the pk. With that knee their more like plod aways. He gets to much leash. 

I really don't think he's going to be fully recovered til next year. If that.

52 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

LOL so if they start scoring and we trade them for less then worth you will still be happy???

Players with skill have ups and downs in the NHL.Si your answer is to trade anyone that goes more then ten games with not putting up points???

Very glad you are not a GM for any sport.

Both still helping us win I will take that but guess you won't so be it.

Ok we’ll come back at the end of the season and see what difference they made if they’re still here after the trade deadline. Not trying to start any arguments, just discussion. I think both of them have been our weakest links on the roster but we can disagree I’m cool with that.

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

No need to panic as we are winning.

Both have skill and will be ok.

If we were losing then that's a different story.

Who knows what will happen as we are getting closer to tdl.

Not the good angle IMO. 

we re winning in despite of the 2nd line. So that means you have room for improvement, and a big one. If you want to win a championship, you don’t want any weakness. 

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mikheyev is one of our top penalty killers.  He plays the Tocchet way and so Tocchet trusts him.  He is not the problem.  Suter isn't a 2C which throws the entire line off.  They either need to turn it into a true scoring line with Kuzmenko on it or they need to turn it into a true shutdown line and take Kuzmenko off if it.

A few things to add.

1. Mik did not play PK to start the season because his knee was not 100% so his total PK time is low. However, as time as gone on he had played more PK and, recently, he and Petey are one of the two primary PK forward pairings and have done very well in that role (contributing to a greatly improved PK in recent games).

2. Mik is defensively responsible and plays Tocchet's system well. He has had a lot of shutdown time holding leads late in games. I would add that his 22 pts in 42 games is not bad for a guy who does not play on the first unit PP. It is about the same as his career scoring rate and is consistent with being a legitimate second liner.

3. The line of Suter-Mik-Kuzy has been unlucky not to score. They have had good underlying numbers for the last 5 or 6 games but the puck has not gone in the net. But they have given up very little defensively. It would be great to see them score, but they have not been hurting the team.  It is kind of like Garland and Blueger earlier in the season -- playing well but not getting on the scoreboard. It would be good to have a legitimate 2C centering that line but those guys are not easy to come by -- and not cheap. Suter provides good value for his cap hit.

4. I would give that line at least a couple more games before doing anything drastic.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Not the good angle IMO. 

we re winning in despite of the 2nd line. So that means you have room for improvement, and a big one. If you want to win a championship, you don’t want any weakness. 

LOL yes for now it seems they are not scoring but otherwise playing good hockey.Say they start lighting it up then what still trade one or two?

48 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

LOL yes for now it seems they are not scoring but otherwise playing good hockey.Say they start lighting it up then what still trade one or two?

as a scoring line that doesn't score, what do you mean by "good hockey" ?

and by the way, if we can keep all of them, but reassign 2/3 to anothers duties where they belong i would be ok !

Mikheyev in the bottom 6, promote Hoglander

Suter as 4C, find a real good 2C

this 2C is way more difficult to get if you don't make room cap wise.