[Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract ($775K + performance bonuses)

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Oilers are the Canadian favourites by the sounds of it, even after them being basement dwellers early in the season. They're now a better playoff team. Canucks have to do something big, otherwise this amazing season could be all for nothing.  C'mon Allvin, get us a big fish.

I don't think we need to do anything BIG.  The Canucks probably need a couple things for TDL:

1.  A middle to top 6 forward (capable of 40 to 50 points) to add more depth to our scoring.  Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and shouldn't disrupt our team chemistry too much.  When you bring in a big fish, it can disrupt team chemistry on the ice, and in the dressing room.

2. With Soucy being injured again, and appearing to be rather injury prone, a depth D that can play bottom pair consistently and maybe move into a top 4 role briefly would be good to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Good deal. 

League minimum prorated to half season that's  around 350k. 

He'll help in playoffs when it counts the most.

Yip. Still don't like the Oilers roster, but they get better with Perry for sure. 

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I'll always respect and cheer for the veteran players on their last leg.  Perry can barely skate anymore but still he has found a way to stay relevant and useful.  Sucks I can't cheer for him now though..

I didn't like him as a Duck, he was a huge pain in the ass even before considering his skill

I've liked him since tho

30 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I hate how the NHL lets this type of stuff go on. 

A terminated player should not be allowed back in the league for a full season. 

I was wondering about the same thing. He's done sth so unacceptable that Chicago was allowed to terminate his contract, yet he's allowed to sign with another team a few weeks after? Either he has no place in the NHL or it was totally unjustified what Chicago's management did to him. It's one or the other.

31 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I was wondering about the same thing. He's done sth so unacceptable that Chicago was allowed to terminate his contract, yet he's allowed to sign with another team a few weeks after? Either he has no place in the NHL or it was totally unjustified what Chicago's management did to him. It's one or the other.

not really.. Kane broke covid protocol and got his contract terminated for violating team rules.. breaking team rules that's ground for termination doesn't necessary he broke any nhl rules.. that doesn't = he did something to justify getting banned from the nhl.. he served his punishment in this case losing millions and that's the end of it. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. Kane broke covid protocol and got his contract terminated for violating team rules.. breaking team rules that's ground for termination doesn't necessary he broke any nhl rules.. that doesn't = he did something to justify getting banned from the nhl.. he served his punishment in this case losing millions and that's the end of it. 

Yeah, Perry was never restricted from playing in the NHL, what occurred in Chicago was related more to team rules and the contract both sides had in place, so contract law

There were no NHL level sanctions in place and it was Perry who requested the meeting with Bettman

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/corey-perry-eligible-to-sign-1.7080222

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Didn't he have like a 2 million signing bonus? Plus played a quarter of the season, so maybe he lost about a million, but he has the chance the make it back up with performance bonuses most likely. He has the chance to basically make everything "lost" back and have a chance for the Cup. Some punishment.

4 hours ago, Captain insano said:

So they are already paying Connor brown 3.25 in bonuses next season now there will be Perry bonuses, if oilers don’t make it this year I see a retool coming 

His bonus is only $225k if he plays 10 games or more. He also has a total of only $100k in playoff bonuses. 

IMG_0493.png

Perry was -28 last season with the Lightning. The next worst +/- for Tampa Bay last season was -10. +/- isn't always that useful of a stat but in an extreme case like this it can be telling.

Perry can still be useful on the PP, but if he's not playing with McDavid or Draisaitl at even strength, I'm not so sure that he's gonna be of much benefit playing in the bottom 6.

4 hours ago, Captain insano said:

So they are already paying Connor brown 3.25 in bonuses next season now there will be Perry bonuses, if oilers don’t make it this year I see a retool coming 

I can't believe the Oilers put in such a dumb performance bonus clause LMAO!  $3.225M more if he plays 10 games??!

image.thumb.png.92b598c8c82e5193598900e27cd890da.png

5 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

Didn't he have like a 2 million signing bonus? Plus played a quarter of the season, so maybe he lost about a million, but he has the chance the make it back up with performance bonuses most likely. He has the chance to basically make everything "lost" back and have a chance for the Cup. Some punishment.

lol.. 75% of 2mil is 1.5mil.. what other teams offers him that's their problem.. it could just as easily be no team offer him a contract. again he violated team rules.. he didn't violate any NHL rules that the NHL punished him for. is it his fault edmonton decides to offer him a contract? 

I don’t like Perry or the Oilers but this very likely helps them.  Pretty obnoxious team up front now. 

That said, they’re the kind of team I wouldn’t be surprised if they swept - or got swept - by pretty much any playoff team.

Such an enigmatic group. 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can't believe the Oilers put in such a dumb performance bonus clause LMAO!  $3.225M more if he plays 10 games??!

image.thumb.png.92b598c8c82e5193598900e27cd890da.png

I think it made sense at the time of signing. He was coming off missing almost the entire 2022-23 season due to a torn ACL so it was unclear if he would be able to play much. But, in the past when Brown has played he's been good for around 0.5PPG. He's been pretty ineffective this season but I can see the logic behind the decision.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think it made sense at the time of signing. He was coming off missing almost the entire 2022-23 season due to a torn ACL so it was unclear if he would be able to play much. But, in the past when Brown has played he's been good for around 0.5PPG. He's been pretty ineffective this season but I can see the logic behind the decision.

Oh I get it, I just think the 10 game threshold was way too low.  He'd limp his way to 10 games if it meant $3M+ more pay lol.

Should have realistically been 41 games (1/2 a season) or something like that. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Such a petty fan base here.. sure you can hate and trash on the player you don’t like. Throwing jokes about other people’s mom based on unproven fact that was thrown out by some random twitter account is low. Why don’t you guys involve your own mother while you are at it. 

I want to know what happened to comedy?
It’s funny AF 

I hope He bangs the hell outta some moms. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I want to know what happened to comedy?
It’s funny AF 

I hope He bangs the hell outta some moms. 

Because it’s call harassment? Bedards mom was constantly brought up? Not sure what bedards mom did to deserve all the harassment and humiliation? I’m sure you wouldn’t care if everyone is calling your mom or wife a whore and stares at her funny on the street.