[Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract ($775K + performance bonuses)

Smart, low risk add for the Oil

For those blowing smoke, it's not a coincidence that he's gone to the final as many times as he has or that competitive teams have brought him in

Dude is a low risk shit disturber who brings grit and some depth scoring, he wouldn't have looked out of place as a Canuck

They could use a boost in their bottom six, they likely got one

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For those blowing smoke, it's not a coincidence that he's gone to the final as many times as he has or that competitive teams have brought him in

Dude is a low risk shit disturber who brings grit and some depth scoring, he wouldn't have looked out of place as a Canuck

It’s a great hockey move for Edm……it’s the PR risk that is not; ditto what they did with Kane.

I would have loved to sign Perry w/o the Chicago BS. Who knows what happened, but whatever it was gives him a black eye, and that will be passed onto the Oilers organization.

Glad Canucks passed, but I guarantee he makes them a better team; lose lose for us.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

It’s a great hockey move for Edm……it’s the PR risk that is not; ditto what they did with Kane.

I would have loved to sign Perry w/o the Chicago BS. Who knows what happened, but whatever it was gives him a black eye, and that will be passed onto the Oilers organization.

Glad Canucks passed, but I guarantee he makes them a better team; lose lose for us.

I get folks not liking the PR, but I reckon the actual impact attached to his signing will probably be overblown 

He did something inappropriate that was related to drinking, folks have done much worse as NHL players and gone on with their lives and careers 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The issue I have adding a guy like him is he comes with baggage that I guarantee he did not fix that quick. I am all for second chances but as we have seen with Kane in Edmonton the short term boost may not.pay off in the end. Oilers have had a hard time finding a fit for Kane this year. And I will argue that adding Perry didn't do a thing for Tampa - they were getting to the final with or without him. Time will tell but am glad just like Kane we have stayed away from Perry.

10 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

That's too bad, was hoping the Canucks would sign Perry. Canucks need more playoff experience up front. 

As it is, Hoglander, Kuzmenko, Aman and Suter have never played in the playoffs and several players only have a handful of games played in the playoffs. Blueger is the only forward with plenty of experience.  

I don't know how they'll do in the post season with so little experience. They need to add if they want to do anything past Round 1. 

We don’t need someone who isn’t a professional on the Vancouver Canucks.  We will win without him.  

11 hours ago, CaKnuckleYourHead said:

Coaching staff has plenty of experience and cups between them. They know what I takes to win, players have bought into system and don’t get rattled like they used to. A piece here and there they will be fine honestly I think they go after Lindholm and Tanev package we are good.

Not to mention and, of course, correct me if I'm wrong, the NHL isn't the only league or level of play at which players get to experience playoff intensity. Sure, it's not exactly the same as the Stanley Cup Playoffs but experience at one level can definitely translate to others. Many of our guys already know what it takes to win in the post-season. Not like they're gonna be caught by surprise

1 hour ago, AussieCanuckinUK said:

So Perry is now an Oiler....great....they are shoring up their bottom 6 for the remainder of the season and looking at the playoffs...despite everything he can be a difference alright.....and make them even tougher to play against....

are the oilers seriously making you quake in your boots?

canucks almost ended their season a week and a half in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Did it ever come out what he did to get terminated?

It seems like the league just granted that way to easy. There should be a rule that if your contract is terminated for bad behavior you shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL again that calendar year.  

I don't see how you can make a valid case to terminate a contract. If the league allows that player to play again without significant time off. 

Technically it did happen in 2023 and the calendar year is now 2024 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AussieCanuckinUK said:

So Perry is now an Oiler....great....they are shoring up their bottom 6 for the remainder of the season and looking at the playoffs...despite everything he can be a difference alright.....and make them even tougher to play against....

Oilers are the Canadian favourites by the sounds of it, even after them being basement dwellers early in the season. They're now a better playoff team. Canucks have to do something big, otherwise this amazing season could be all for nothing.  C'mon Allvin, get us a big fish.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Power-Forward said:

They gave Virtanen a tryout after the allegations.  They then signed E. Kane when nobody would, and now they just signed a guy who is no longer professional enough to play for another NHL team with Perry.  The oilers really are the NHL’s halfway house.

Well when your teams located in Edmonton...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'll always respect and cheer for the veteran players on their last leg.  Perry can barely skate anymore but still he has found a way to stay relevant and useful.  Sucks I can't cheer for him now though..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• Rubik changed the title to [Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract (AVV $775K)
  • Rubik changed the title to [Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract ($775K AVV)
  • Rubik changed the title to [Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract ($775K + performance bonuses)