The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Appeasement is allowing Russian crude to freely flow. This would be over if Biden had the brain or guts to enforce sanctions. The military response is also weaker than would have happened if Putin backstabbed Trump. Putin knew it.

The military response is weak because of Trump's caucus and you know it.

• Cheers 4

55 minutes ago, Malibu said:

That's how long the pandemic effected trump. You posted it effected half his term, but it was at the tail end.

Ok, point taken.  My main point is that there is not a lot of credibility to the often heard statement that no one would have dared start a war on Trump's watch.

In the recent days, Ukraine reportedly shot down four Russian Su-34 and two Russian Su-35 with one of the two German-delivered Patriot batteries, all in eastern Ukraine.

We've seen visual confirmation of some of them, the Russian also confirmed multiple shot down Russian jets.

Proud to see our systems having such a big impact, but worried since only the US, Germany, and the Netherlands are supplying missiles to Ukraine to keep them running, and we all know how supplies from the US are doing at the moment…

16 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

The military response is weak because of Trump's caucus and you know it.

I definitely do NOT know it. The time for "response" is over with. The question is what do we do now? 

What is weak is Democrats desperately trying to blame a president from 4 years ago for a situation they are totally responsible for.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Malibu said:

I definitely do NOT know it. The time for "response" is over with. The question is what do we do now? 

What is weak is Democrats desperately trying to blame a president from 4 years ago for a situation they are totally responsible for.

I'm talking about House Republicans who have prevented sending more hardware to Ukraine for months. You know they're blocking it

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I'm talking about House Republicans who have prevented sending more hardware to Ukraine for months. You know they're blocking it

Do you know why they are not approving the bill? I have suspicions but maybe you know better.

2 minutes ago, Malibu said:

All I know is border security and Ukraine aid are tied together. No separate bills provided, last I heard.

Yep, and then the Senate wrote a bill that combined Ukraine Aid with a border deal. It was turned down too

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I am sympathetic with those Americans who want to secure their southern border. It is a serious national security issue. Using Ukraine support appears to be the only leverage they think they can use to get action from the DNC. 

That said Ukraine has to be supported to the fullest. Biden seems to be doing all he can do. Perhaps he might threaten to escalate USA involvement utilizing the resources he already has in place. Such an escalation would force a more direct response from the House than what exists now. I think Biden has options. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Malibu said:

Well Trump did prevent war over his term. Smart enough to know not to push NATO membership for Ukraine for one thing, as Putin stressed it was a no go, whereas Biden insisted on leaving it on the table. My guess is that most of the large majority of people who think the invasion wouldn't have happened on Trump's watch probably would say it was his crazy/tough persona combined with his wish to make allies of enemies as was the case with both Kim Jong and Putin. It kept the peace.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/president-trumps-instincts-on-ukraine-have-been-bad-but-hes-right-about-one-thing/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/biden-didnt-accept-putins-red-line-on-ukraine-what-it-means.html

The art of misdirection. If Putin was a magician Ukraine joining NATO would be the be the scantily clad assistant.

The push to allow Ukraine to join NATO was the American policy developed by President George W Bush and sustained by Obama. In the late 1990s Biden was the top Democrat on the House Foreign Relations Committee pushed to have NATO allow Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic to join.

But over the course of two decades of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, experts said, Mr. Biden’s fervor for expanding NATO cooled considerably. In 2004, seven Eastern European countries joined the alliance, and in 2008, President George W. Bush pushed NATO to issue a declaration that Ukraine and Georgia would become members in the future despite reservations from U.S. intelligence agencies. However, the alliance has never offered either country a formal action plan to join, a necessary step for them to do so.

At the time that Russia was amassing troops at Ukraine’s border and prior to the buildup-

Michael McFaul, a former U.S. ambassador to Russia, suggested that Mr. Putin was trying to distract from more urgent matters. “Everybody’s talking about NATO expansion,” Mr. McFaul said on a podcast by the Center for a New American Security that was released on Jan. 11. “Suddenly, we’re debating this issue that wasn’t even an issue. That’s a great advantage to him.”

Like European leaders, President Biden remains uninterested in Ukrainian membership in NATO. Here are four reasons.

-Biden had grown skeptical of expanding US military commitments    
   -he wanted Ukraine to improve its political and legal systems   

-NATO wanted to avoid greater Russian hostility  after Putin annexed Crimea & many  

European members did not support Ukrainian membership 

-Ukrainian leaders had waffled on NATO membership 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Do you know why they are not approving the bill? I have suspicions but maybe you know better.

Because they want to do what Putin has and turn the US into a a Nazi hellhole.  What they're doing to hold democracy is truly evil and they belong in the Hague for their crimes against humanity.

• Vintage 1

The Russian planes have been shot down south of Russian-occupied Mariupol, around 80 km (50 miles) from the next Ukrainian Army position.

Russian war bloggers such as Romanov have already confirmed one of the two shot down planes (the SU-35S) from this morning, and they do not mince words because it comes of a streak of eliminated Russian planes in this week and before. 

It is obvious that a certain weapon systems is hunting Russian planes in the entire area of Southern Ukraine, respectively the Sea of Azov.