The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

9 hours ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

its just a different way of looking at the conflict. I want a real end to the suffering not just a temporary one. I dont want Russia to move on to someone else in a few years because we pushed for peace as quick as possible. So long as Ukraine is willing to fight for victory instead of peace I will support them to the hilt. If they grow weary of the fighting and accept a peace over victory i will support them too even if it disappoints me because it isnt Ukraines job to protect the world. But so long as they have the will to fight then they should get all the support they can because they arent just helping themselves, they are helping everyone in the free world weaken one of the greatest threats to peace and western ideals. Remember just because the war ends doesnt necessarily mean that the violence ends.

If my response felt like an attack on you i apologize. I have seen the justification of a quick end to the war as an excuse to give in to Russia too many times so I react a bit aggressively towards that.

I agree with you that Ukrainian military should get all the support that they need to win this war. And the support has been slow at times. At least that is what I get from reading the news. 
and I am also not keen on a frozen conflict that isn’t really over and that will break out again the year after. 
but I think it is naive to think that Ukraine can somehow end dictatorship in Russia, that it leads to a regime change, or that it can lead to a period of peace because they defeat the Russian army completely. 
I am from Germany, and the way the army was defeated and the country was occupied after WW2 is not was is likely going to happen in Russian. Of course not. From this perspective I am pessimistic that Ukraine and the western countries can achieve a stable, peaceful future in this region, regardless how much territory the Ukrainian army can regain in the next year. My fear is that Russia remains an aggressive dictatorship that threatens and invades neighboring countries. 

by the way the continuation of the war is likely going to be decided in Washington anyways. Once the US stops to support them with weapons it is over. it is a saddening situation 

12 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

She is playing to her conspiracy base.

I know Canadians that think the war in Ukraine is part of the great reset. That we are giving Canadian taxpayers money to Ukraine so that it can be redistributed to the elite. 

Although McCarthy is ducking the blame how many American voters think Greene is doing the right thing? Putin is counting on it.

Thanks for posting this.

Its of course the same part of the populations that funds trucker rallies. And Donald Trumps legal bills. That's worthwhile, right?  

In reality if Trump and Putin can stop this war 'their' way? Depending on your definition of elite, the Don will have a mansion that makes Mara Lago blush & bend over near Sochi on the Black Sea. 

Where are the peace talks?? Foreign countries pouring billions of dollars into Ukraine with no accountability where the money is going, giving away weapons and amo putting themselves in vulnerable positions. From what I understand Canada will be training Ukrainian soldiers, Russia has China backing them, its almost like we're at war with Russia ourselves. How long until it is a full blown world war? I dont care what "side" anyone is on, peace should be the only option but it seems war makes more money and creates better headlines. 

13 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

Where are the peace talks?? Foreign countries pouring billions of dollars into Ukraine with no accountability where the money is going, giving away weapons and amo putting themselves in vulnerable positions. From what I understand Canada will be training Ukrainian soldiers, Russia has China backing them, its almost like we're at war with Russia ourselves. How long until it is a full blown world war? I dont care what "side" anyone is on, peace should be the only option but it seems war makes more money and creates better headlines. 

Lets see the evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

Russia has not even agreed to stop attacking. So far billions has been vastly less expensive than a World War, our soldiers, NATO boots on the ground.

Imagine if a gang of street fighters came to your street, in your town.  Beat the crap out of you, your friends. Bashed in the windows of your home. Steal your beer, your food, your fish. I won't get in to harsher realities.

No arrests, jail; held account for justice?  Or just let go if they promise to stop! Do you really think they will just go away? Your wish for peace is noble! I applaud the concept. My opinion only? Such a wish without justice. Someone has to fight until there is a break in their activities. It will become like a prayer it won't snow & we should prefer it not to be cold in Winter.  

I applaud your sentiment.  Reality says it is a great deal more difficult. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 6YPE said:

Once Russia stops attacking Ukraine, there can be peace. 

Till then, Ukraine and its allies will defend it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 6YPE said:

You bet Neville, just give them Poland and secure peace in our time. Don't make the bully angry, he might turn on us too. It's very important to give bullies whatever they want.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, 6YPE said:

Before World War 2, Hitler kept taking a little more land, then a little more land and kept making excuses about why he needed to. All the time he was doing this, he was building weapons and resources to continue to take the fight to the rest of the world. 

Poutine is taking the same approach. If there was a cease fire right now, something he really wants, he'd use that time reorganize and resupply his forces.

If the West and NATO stop supplying the Ukraine now, we will have another world War I'm a few years. This war could end in 24 hours, all Russia has to do is withdraw, stop firing on civilian targets and everything stops. Until Russia does that, we have no choice but to do everything we can to weaken Russia's ability to push into other countries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The Ukrainian people have collectively decided that they would rather fight instead of give part of their country away to the monster attacking them.  Since they will be fighting regardless, it is better that we arm them to the best of our abilities.    Regarding potential degrading of our own military capacity, arming the Ukrainians also helps to do the same to Russia, with no loss to Canadian soldiers' lives.  It's a fantastic investment in national security for the future to have a weakened, denazified Russia in the North instead.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Mr Wrong said:

I agree with you that Ukrainian military should get all the support that they need to win this war. And the support has been slow at times. At least that is what I get from reading the news. 
and I am also not keen on a frozen conflict that isn’t really over and that will break out again the year after. 
but I think it is naive to think that Ukraine can somehow end dictatorship in Russia, that it leads to a regime change, or that it can lead to a period of peace because they defeat the Russian army completely. 
I am from Germany, and the way the army was defeated and the country was occupied after WW2 is not was is likely going to happen in Russian. Of course not. From this perspective I am pessimistic that Ukraine and the western countries can achieve a stable, peaceful future in this region, regardless how much territory the Ukrainian army can regain in the next year. My fear is that Russia remains an aggressive dictatorship that threatens and invades neighboring countries. 

by the way the continuation of the war is likely going to be decided in Washington anyways. Once the US stops to support them with weapons it is over. it is a saddening situation 

You are right, Ukraine cannot end Russias dictatorship. What they can do is cripple its ability to enforce its will on people enough that it is possible for Russians to step up if they choose to. There is already a Russian force fighting on Ukraines side for such a change and as conditions worsen for the Russian people there will be more people willing to lash out at the regime that has them intimidated into silence. There is already alot of arsons happening in Russia since the war started as well as some things that could be considered terrorism, Russian conscripts arent getting paid, deaths are being covered up. The longer this goes on the more likely it will be that someone decides to try to take over. There has already been one attempt and a lot of people were disappointed when they gave up.

It is the aggressor that determines whether there is a peaceful future in the region so if that is what you are looking for you will be greatly disappointed. It is not Ukraine's or the US's responsibility to create that. The fact that they are putting so much effort in as it is is already a kindness to Russia's other neighbors. If you want that peaceful future, the way to maximize the chances of it is to give as much firepower to Ukraine to fight with as possible, otherwise what you are really saying is you want to pretend that you have peace by letting Russia have what they want and accept their narrative for future conflicts.

That last paragraph there is IMO BS. Russia is the one who can end the war at anytime. If the US stopped aiding Ukraine it would probably cripple the ability to liberate the occupied territories but the fighting would go on until both sides were fighting with whatever they could cobble together. Ukrainians know what will happen to them under Russian rule and most arent willing to live that way again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mr Wrong said:

I hope you understand that your last sentence comes straight out or russian propaganda books…

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1