The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

I agree with everything you said, except for this. Trump isn't about saving lives. He isn't about doing the "right" moral thing. He's about gaining as much support for himself so he can regain power. Whether or not this war is significantly costing America or not is quite secondary to the PERCEPTION of the public. Propaganda from both Russia AND the hardline Republican supporters is thick with imagery of drug-zombified people walking the street and living in tents. And many haven't educated themselves to realize that they are sending second-rate equipment and it's only cost them 75 billion so far out of their 6+ trillion annual budget. They don't realize this support is really not having a major impact to the US ability to fund other programs, or that seeing Russia defeated now may end up eliminating the need to use their own forces later - should Putin decide to continue his conquest into other countries which could necessitate an article 5 response.

Also, keep in mind that Trump has been claiming since the war started that it would not have happened under his watch, and that he could end it immediately. Besides likely being untrue (along with most of what he claims), the ONLY way he could really impact things is to withdraw all support for Ukraine, and likely eventually NATO. (The latter of which he was trying to do while he was in office already.) He projects himself like he has power over Putin's decisions - which he really doesn't at all. So I believe that is precisely his plan - Abandon Ukraine. Negatively affect millions and world history so he can get another day in the sun.

Sounds about par for the course.

No doubt I am nervous about a Trump admin. That said I think it is fair to say that he was right about NATO spending, He was right about Europe buying Russian gas and he was right about the Chinese threat. The USA like most world governments are faced with a massive debt problem. Most American governments tend to look at internal problems in times of duress or during election years. 

My hope is that Biden can craft a deal with Congress and get an aid package thru within the month. A Mexican border deal likely helps both Dems and GOP. If Ukraine can right bonds against the $300 billion worth of ceased Russian assets it will help. Bottom line is that the USA has contracted a lot of arms sales to Ukraine. I doubt Trump will cancel that. But he is a wild card and I don't trust him. 

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is a thread about an active War.

People dying for freedoms..

Now limited to 2 posts a day , per person .

Freedom?

Apparently my post supporting your work Sam has been edited out. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Apparently my post supporting your work Sam has been edited out. 

As was my farewell msg to my friends in here. Take care y’all, much love to you, and especially my Ukrainian friends.  May your families find peace and prosperity.  I can’t be part of something I don’t believe in. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Rook said:

As was my farewell msg to my friends in here. Take care y’all, much love to you, and especially my Ukrainian friends.  May your families find peace and prosperity.  I can’t be part of something I don’t believe in. 

I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the information, maps, quotes, insights, graphs and graphics that are presented in the Twitter reposts.  I generally check in 2 or 3 times a day for more "news" about the Ukrainian situation...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1