The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

UKR is monitoring its own well :

A person involved in a high-profile corruption case involving the supply of low-quality clothing to the Armed Forces of Ukraine has been detained. He tried to evade the investigation and flee Ukraine.

Roman Hrynkevich, son of Lviv businessman Ihor Hrynkevich, was detained in Odesa. According to law enforcers, he was planning to flee the country and hide in the EU.

• Upvote 1

Adding to the circumvention of Orbans veto.  Some countries were already starting to do this ,  the E U is trying to control it and make themselves look better politically.… but is that control needed I wonder ?

• Like 1

More info on the RuZ on RuZ attack,.   
.. seems unsurprising that it WAS TARGETED.     Putin trying to play the victim game with his own citizens.

How truly and purely narcissistic,. In the most evil of ways .

Polish Prime Minister Tusk spoke sharply about the demonstration of a policy of neutrality by some leaders of European Union member states against the backdrop of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

"Today, anyone in the free world who pretends to be neutral, maintains an even distance or demonstrates it towards Ukraine and Russia deserves the darkest place in political hell,” Tusk emphasized.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bolden and Brazen , right in Putins face.

Wonder how many pilots, of various militaries are of Ukrainian descent?

I'd suggest a few of Canada's pilots are, and now that their path to Ukrainian citizen ship is clear-there may be a few that go to Ukraine.

Might be time for Canada- and a few other countries to sell off some 'surplus' planes.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'd suggest a few of Canada's pilots are, and now that their path to Ukrainian citizen ship is clear-there may be a few that go to Ukraine.

Might be time for Canada- and a few other countries to sell off some 'surplus' planes.

Excellent point Gurn ..

The new circumvention deals might/ should expedite a lot of transfers of Warbirds and Artillery, whereas before some needed signing off by a third or 4th party ..

as you say ,  globally , there may be many trained personnel from ofher countries that have UKR decent.. who will come forward.

in the case of Air Force personnel,  if that pilot wishes to exercise that right,.

and if we are in a surplus situation of the equipment that pilot operates,.

Perhaps let him / her arrive in UKR in it themselves.

Consider it a gift .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Ever wonder what your kids are playing ?!? 

Crazy World these days :

It is harder to accomplish taking out the pilots. Triangulation control signals means at least two el3ctronic warfare devices must find a vector and where those two vectors intersect is a general area where the pilots transmitter is located. A third vector helps narrow that down a lot, but in tight battlefield kind of areas, where we aren't using Australia, UK and Canada as the three signal interceptors..you need basically three wagons out on the front lines doing that work, and the transmitting pilots could be up to 100 yards from the rough localized intercept point. Then you have to get there in time.

Good news is for instance, in Iraq, when Saddam's EW teams would energize their systems, their life expectancy was 4.5 minutes, ad the American and allied forces got this EW dance down to a science. It was so deadly that Saddams commanders would handcuff their operators to the equipment, as even they knew they had less than 5 minutes after energizing before a missile was incoming.

I believe we are training Ukrainians to be nearly as efficient, but I don't know that they have the right equipment in enough numbers.

At one time my crew could erect our antennae systems and energize inside of 3 minutes of arrival into a hide. We got our teardown and move to 2 mins 15 seconds. That may be a life and equipment saving span of time for a hasty withdrawal.

Just some insight into the electronic warfare side. Hopefully there have been even greater advances in detection and reaction time since I retired.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

...and I should mention the taliban/AQ got wise to intercepts of their command and control transmissions when their guys on the horn would blow up if they talked too long... eventually they jerry-rigged two radios back to back with an ad hoc battery to give the contraption a few weeks of life...and drop it on a rocky snow covered mountainside. Then their guys on a radio were broadcasting low power to the Jerry rigged relay of much higher power and the kaboom would hit the hillside and just take out the re-transmitter..

Point is Russia will change tactics if Ukraine is effective at hitting drone pilots and begin to use relays...sonit could be a short lived success best saved for high profile operators.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plus it's in line with EU norms.  The amount of reform that's gone on since the war started is amazing under the circumstances.

At least, no matter the outcome of this war in terms of territory, whatever it ends up being, there does appear to be some positives. Ukraine has effectively been pushed towards the west and really worked on becoming key western ally: the opposite of what Russia wanted.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

...and I should mention the taliban/AQ got wise to intercepts of their command and control transmissions when their guys on the horn would blow up if they talked too long... eventually they jerry-rigged two radios back to back with an ad hoc battery to give the contraption a few weeks of life...and drop it on a rocky snow covered mountainside. Then their guys on a radio were broadcasting low power to the Jerry rigged relay of much higher power and the kaboom would hit the hillside and just take out the re-transmitter..

Point is Russia will change tactics if Ukraine is effective at hitting drone pilots and begin to use relays...sonit could be a short lived success best saved for high profile operators.

Doing something like this for drone control will add latency, which could make it easier to intercept the drones though, could also cause issues with controlling them. So maybe they can do it, but maybe not.

1 minute ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

Doing something like this for drone control will add latency, which could make it easier to intercept the drones though, could also cause issues with controlling them. So maybe they can do it, but maybe not.

it is also expensive and time consuming to set up, in the context of 100 new drones a day, et cetera. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Makes you wonder if everyone is trying to get their hands on that 300 billion the banks are holdin in RuZ assests ??

it is supposed to be going to the rebuild of UKraine directly.

I believe there is a legal battle going on as the Russians try and repossess these assets. Many of these assets are financial as Russia placed money into international banks and institutions. Is there a prescribed usage for these funds? ( $300 billion +/- ). I don't think so. I assume the countries where the funds are held continue to hold them. No single depository of all the funds. Who will hold them if unencumbered? What process has to take place to turn such assets over to Ukraine? The idea they are earmarked for a post war rebuild of Ukraine is simply an idea, I think. 

My initial thought was that Ukraine would be able to issue bonds using these assets as collateral. What the Ukraine government did with the proceeds from those bonds would be their decision. Ukraine has to survive the war first. By no stretch will $300 billion be the only compensation sought by Ukraine for damages done by Russia. It will be in the trillions of $. 

The EU not providing funds to Ukraine because of Hungary is a bit of a smoke screen IMHO. The EU is composed of sovereign countries who can send foreign aid to whom they please. Military equipment might have some fine points as far as NATO treaty restrictions but I am not familiar with that.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Not quite open yet. It's just a proposed law (which actually has been submitted to the parliament back in 2019 but has been dormant since). Hopefully, it'll get passed fast. After all, Zelensky's party has full control of the parliament (one of the situations where I don't mind that monopoly 🙂).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hopefully the unrest and distrust grows in RuZ ..

Maybe they should be using a few hundred drones and load them up with postcards of dead Russian bodies, left on the battlefield and drop those on some of the major cities. That might help create more unrest in Russia

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1