The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

And of course ,  from the safety of their studio deep within Mordor..

Theoretically 90% of the Russian population would cease to exist within 1/2 hour or less of a Russian nuke striking the US. Two can play that game.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Theoretically 90% of the Russian population would cease to exist within 1/2 hour or less of a Russian nuke striking the US. Two can play that game.

I don’t know if that’s completely accurate. I don’t think the USA or Russia could wipe eachother out that quickly. 

With the realistic possibility of Nukes flying in the very near future, i got into reading of Canada would be a nuclear target and was surprised at the estimates of Canada having anywhere from 20-40 nuclear targets on us 😟

29 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I don’t know if that’s completely accurate. I don’t think the USA or Russia could wipe eachother out that quickly. 

With the realistic possibility of Nukes flying in the very near future, i got into reading of Canada would be a nuclear target and was surprised at the estimates of Canada having anywhere from 20-40 nuclear targets on us 😟

A land-based nuclear missile only takes around 20 minutes to get from US soil to a populated Russian center, and that's one of the more conservative numbers I've seen when looking it up. It might seem crazy, but it's possible.

As far as Canada being a nuclear target goes, it's possible but it's been that way for a long time. Is there really much of a reason to focus on it other than to live in fear? Seems like an anti-productive way of living to me.

Also, keep in mind we have NORAD with the states, meaning we have a mutual space when it comes to air defense. Any missiles coming towards us is an attack on the US (and NATO I might add) and could be intercepted.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

surprised at the estimates of Canada having anywhere from 20-40 nuclear targets on us 😟

Off hand I'd say-Minimum of 3, and as many as 10 in B.C.

Nanoose testing facility--- may catch a U.S. or other ally, nuke sub doing torpedo testing

C.F.B Esquimalt

C.F.B. Comox

likely:

Vancouver and Prince Rupert harbours- as there is so much marine traffic concentrated in those areas, plus the shipyards.

Vancouver International airport.

1 a piece just outside Golden and Jasper-shutting down/destroying major highway connections

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don’t know if that’s completely accurate.

I was demonstrating just how stupid her propaganda was. Both sides would inflict massive damage to one another and to what end? No winners in a nuclear war, only death and destruction.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I was demonstrating just how stupid her propaganda was. Both sides would inflict massive damage to one another and to what end? No winners in a nuclear war, only death and destruction.

I think you messed your quotes up?

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Kind of ironic that, if this was to happen, the entire world would be speaking Chinese with 10 years....lol

59 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

Kind of ironic that, if this was to happen, the entire world would be speaking Chinese with 10 years....lol

I think Russia - and therefore the Russian media - just has to bring up nuclear war from time to time.   It's part of the propaganda campaign to scare the west and limit the amounts and capabilities of arms given to Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

Off hand I'd say-Minimum of 3, and as many as 10 in B.C.

Nanoose testing facility--- may catch a U.S. or other ally, nuke sub doing torpedo testing

C.F.B Esquimalt

C.F.B. Comox

likely:

Vancouver and Prince Rupert harbours- as there is so much marine traffic concentrated in those areas, plus the shipyards.

Vancouver International airport.

1 a piece just outside Golden and Jasper-shutting down/destroying major highway connections

What I read was basically all the major populous places in Canada (over 500,000) + military bases and communications Hubs for secure networks, one I think was on the island and 1 in Nova Scotia. So I think it was the military bases, Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna/Kamloops area and another place on the island. The people were split in the debate as to whether or not Prince George would see one. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

A land-based nuclear missile only takes around 20 minutes to get from US soil to a populated Russian center, and that's one of the more conservative numbers I've seen when looking it up. It might seem crazy, but it's possible.

As far as Canada being a nuclear target goes, it's possible but it's been that way for a long time. Is there really much of a reason to focus on it other than to live in fear? Seems like an anti-productive way of living to me.

Also, keep in mind we have NORAD with the states, meaning we have a mutual space when it comes to air defense. Any missiles coming towards us is an attack on the US (and NATO I might add) and could be intercepted.

I read that since Canada hasn’t contributed to NORAD and Is failing to meet the NATO minimum contribution, we’d be left almost high and dry with missile defense… not that it matters. If a Nuke hit Vancouver it would probably kill everything out to Abbotsford anyways and the fallout would kill everyone out to hope within a few weeks. 
 With my luck that would be when the Canucks are up 3-0 in a SCF 😂😂😂

Edited by Northern_Nuck

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

What I read was basically all the major populous places in Canada (over 500,000) + military bases and communications Hubs for secure networks, one I think was on the island and 1 in Nova Scotia. So I think it was the military bases, Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna/Kamloops area and another place on the island. The people were split in the debate as to whether or not Prince George would see one. 

Wait, so you mention a debate... so this is then based on the opinions of a group of people with them debating which cities would have a nuke targeting them?

If this is the case, you do realise that means what they're presenting are not facts, yes? They're presenting their opinions. This means we might not even have our cities targeted by nukes. Not being ignorant of it mind you, but you have to be careful with where you're getting your evidence from.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Wait, so you mention a debate... so this is then based on the opinions of a group of people with them debating which cities would have a nuke targeting them?

If this is the case, you do realise that means what they're presenting are not facts, yes? They're presenting their opinions. This means we might not even have our cities targeted by nukes. Not being ignorant of it mind you, but you have to be careful with where you're getting your evidence from.

No, it’s because most of the strategic Nuke destinations are classified. It was a panel of ex military leaders having a discussion and debating on what the nuclear targets of Canada are. There is no doubt that we have them being a part of NATO. 
 The only 10 they agreed upon for certainty were the major populous centres. It’s a 100% certainty that Vancouver is targeted with at least a 100 kilo ton payload. 

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I read that since Canada hasn’t contributed to NORAD and Is failing to meet the NATO minimum contribution, we’d be left almost high and dry with missile defense… not that it matters. If a Nuke hit Vancouver it would probably kill everything out to Abbotsford anyways and the fallout would kill everyone out to hope within a few weeks. 
 With my luck that would be when the Canucks are up 3-0 in a SCF :lol:

Where did you read this? Because that makes all the difference. If it's a far right source, they want you to think that because they want to be fearful.

First, of all, if a nuke hit Vancouver, the fallout would go into the states. The fallout doesn't just stop at the border going "oh, the states is not my target, I'd better stop here". It continues to travel until it dissipates. Basic logic and physics will tell you this. This is going to be the same with any city along the border.

Then there's this notion of NORAD... that may be true if Trump is in power, because that's really why his policies are about. Need proof? Look at his stance on NATO when he was in power when he practically told NATO they were on their own. Anyone else in power would realise it's in the best interests to maintain NORAD. Think about it. If Russia attacked Canada and the US didn't respond, do you know what that tells Russia? It tells Russia the US is weak and can't back their own alliances. Think about the logic with all of this. The US failing to back NORAD is highly unlikely even with Canada failing to hold its own.

Should we hold our own? Sure. We should also be showing power. However, make no mistake with what a lack of response on the US's part would tell the rest of the world.

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

No, it’s because most of the strategic Nuke destinations are classified. It was a panel of ex military leaders having a discussion and debating on what the nuclear targets of Canada are. There is no doubt that we have them being a part of NATO. 
 The only 10 they agreed upon for certainty were the major populous centres. It’s a 100% certainty that Vancouver is targeted with at least a 100 kilo ton payload. 

So then is was a debate. Yet, you're presenting their debate here as fact.

Look, I'm not arguing that we wouldn't have nukes on us, but if you're this spooked by a debate, perhaps you should go live in a bunker somewhere. You seem afraid of what the realities of the world has been for the past 80 years. lol

11 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

With my luck that would be when the Canucks are up 3-0 in a SCF 😂😂😂

evilbettman.png.17cdea116abf60fbc28550cd32049016.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So then is was a debate. Yet, you're presenting their debate here as fact.

Look, I'm not arguing that we wouldn't have nukes on us, but if you're this spooked by a debate, perhaps you should go live in a bunker somewhere. You seem afraid of what the realities of the world has been for the past 80 years. lol

Naw, I was naive to it. I honestly don’t care if it happens. I think if does happen, we deserve it and played our part. There’s nothing I can do about it, and I live far enough away that things might work out. So I’m not worried about it in the slightest. Do I think it will happen? Yes, I think we’re closest to seeing an all out nuclear confrontation than before in any time in history. 

Also instead of having a double thread, I read that Canada in 2022, committed to 20 years at 2 billion per year to NORAD contributions. I went looking for the articles saying we were significantly insufficient funding it. But I stand corrected and it must have been a long while since I read those. So my knowledge of that was far out dated. 

5 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Naw, I was naive to it. I honestly don’t care if it happens. I think if does happen, we deserve it and played our part. There’s nothing I can do about it, and I live far enough away that things might work out. So I’m not worried about it in the slightest. Do I think it will happen? Yes, I think we’re closest to seeing an all out nuclear confrontation than before in any time in history. 

Also instead of having a double thread, I read that Canada in 2022, committed to 20 years at 2 billion per year to NORAD contributions. I went looking for the articles saying we were significantly insufficient funding it. But I stand corrected and it must have been a long while since I read those. So my knowledge of that was far out dated. 

Here's the thing. You could focus on every negative thing, every negative scenario, and literally just become a psycopath from it. Or, you can live your life and what happens is what happens. As you've said, there's nothing we can do really. 🙂

Perhaps I'm even an example of things at the moment. I got laid off last summer and have been looking for work since. Do I get depressed? Absolutely. Do I worry about whether or not I'll get another job. Sometimes, yes. Am I going to give up because of those negative thoughts I just mentioned? No. Something should happen eventually and I just have to keep at it. If I thought of all of these other things such as nukes aiming for us.... I'd be in dire straits. lol

Anyway, this is a Ukraine thread as well, so I don't really want to derail it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I'd say the Cuban missile crisis is the one to beat though I hope we don't.   I'd also say that while things are scary at the moment they are nowhere near as scary as some would have us believe.

Edited by Satchmo

Canada is meeting its NORAD commitments and is spending money on upgrading that warning system.

Getting to the NATO 2% pledge would cost an extra .61 of the GDP.

There is a Canadian Military thread, for any future talk?

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1