The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Get the feeling a trap was laid out in Avdiika..  ?      @RomanPer might offer more insight on this 

I’m not sure about this. One of the nicknames of Syrsky is “a butcher”, in that he doesn’t care about losses (unlike Zalyzhny). I wouldn’t be surprised if this counter attack is nothing more than Syrsky trying to appease his new boss.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

just my thoughts, but I don’t think RuZ has a true delivery network of getting supplies and hardware to its front lines, this post from X might bring some understanding to this :

Deepstate publishes satellite images of the Russian 30 km train-barrier in the Donetsk region

“The Russians in Donetsk have assembled a 30-km-long "tsar-train" consisting of more than two thousand cars

The continuous structure of goods wagons stretches along a branch from the railway station in Olenivka to Volnovakha and has about 2100 wagons of various types. The construction of this "railwagon centipede" began in July 2023. For construction, apparently, railwagons were stolen from temporarily occupied territories.

This is a very specific engineering structure, the effectiveness of which is difficult to assess. The idea is clear - an obstacle to the advancement of the Defense Forces. It can be considered as a separate line of defense, because it is extremely difficult to damage, move or blow up a 30-kilometer-long mass of metal, and the movement of equipment through such an obstacle without breaking through the corridor is impossible.  The given radar images are publicly available, to understand the scale of this formation. The construction of the "train" has been visually verified by our team on pictures from different periods of time.”

Senators push forward with Ukraine aid package as their leaders say the world is watching

WASHINGTON (AP) — As former President Donald Trump and a growing number of Republicans oppose U.S. aid to Ukraine, the Senate’s leaders argued in strong terms on Sunday that the money is crucial to pushing back against Russian President Vladimir Putin and maintaining America’s global standing.

In the Capitol for a rare weekend session, the Senate voted again to move forward with the assistance as Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky issued stark warnings about the consequences of abandoning longtime U.S. allies in Europe.

https://apnews.com/article/senate-ukraine-israel-trump-aid-biden-13d5461154e2755510d7149a5af9b97a

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I’m not sure about this. One of the nicknames of Syrsky is “a butcher”, in that he doesn’t care about losses (unlike Zalyzhny). I wouldn’t be surprised if this counter attack is nothing more than Syrsky trying to appease his new boss.

I just dont like how they are massed in the open. I told my guys often "if you got nothing to do, don't do it here" whenever people started bunching up for no reason.

Maybe they are quickly christening the ground with an imminent assault coming at them? Like "exfiltration will betree line to our 5oclock, left arc of fire will be the lake, giant copse of woods will be known as right arc of fire, seen?" Everyone gathered reply "seen!". Et cetera. Basically getting on the same page before a firefight? If everyone knows not to fire into the woods, then a reserve could be brought through the woods relatively safe from friendly fire, which is why arcs of fire are established. Once the shooting starts usually the side whose plan turns to chaos first, loses.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

absolutely brutal helmet cam footage in this war. This is in Andriivka small village south of Bakhmut

in spoilers as a lot of it is graphic even if blurred out.

In particular at 11:06 when one Orc is surrendering and another throws a grenade out from his hole. Should have just surrendered.

Its recommend with CC on and set to English

I started watching this kind of footage during Canadas participation in Afghanistan to better understand what our troops go through as what you see in the media is so filtered.

I also wonder who signs up for this kind of stuff voluntarily as its not in my nature at all. Would I be able to do it if necessary? (not sure still)

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

absolutely brutal helmet cam footage in this war. This is in Andriivka small village south of Bakhmut

in spoilers as a lot of it is graphic even if blurred out.

In particular at 11:06 when one Orc is surrendering and another throws a grenade out from his hole. Should have just surrendered.

Its recommend with CC on and set to English

I started watching this kind of footage during Canadas participation in Afghanistan to better understand what our troops go through as what you see in the media is so filtered.

I also wonder who signs up for this kind of stuff voluntarily as its not in my nature at all. Would I be able to do it if necessary? (not sure still)

Reveal hidden contents

People talk about courage in battle Barney.

And you ask a very rational question, could you do this voluntarily ?

I will relate this story which I have told before on the old board. 

I would like to believe I would have the courage to do this even though I would be risking the lives of my family in doing so.

I grew up with a friend who lived just down the road.

His mum grew up in Holland during the Nazi occupation in WW2.

Her parents, like many families in Europe, made the choice to hide a Jewish family in their home.

If the (Jewish) family was discovered, both families would be taken outside and shot.

Imagine living with the constant fear that you will be caught.

That to me is real courage right there.

This is the " quiet" sort of courage you don't hear much about.

There are no medals awarded.

No real honours.

You simply know you have done the right thing. 

This is a moral quandary.

As parents, do we have the right to risk the lives of our kids ?

I certainly know that my son is now old enough to know the lesson I would be teaching him by acting in this manner. 

In all facets of our lives, the best anyone one of us can strive to do, is do the right thing.

Not for honour, not for glory, not for any rewards.

Simply because doing the right thing, is the right thing to do.

• Like 3

Seems like a few RuZ pilots got smart ..

Russian sources report that the FSB of Russia conducted an investigation and opened two criminal cases regarding the transportation of 59 aircraft and helicopters (Il-76 and Mi-8) from Russia to other countries from March 2022 to June 2023

3 of these helicopters somehow 3 Mi-8 helicopters got into Ukraine and are used against the Russian army during the war.

• Haha 1