The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/nato-scrambles-warplanes-after-putin-s-nuclear-bombers-spotted-north-of-uk/ss-BB1iavIa?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=92d6d5f5a38d44608f4c616c0c06239d&ei=49

NATO scrambles warplanes after Putin’s nuclear bombers spotted north of UK

Vladimir Putin’s nuclear bombers – nicknamed ‘Bears’ – today flew over north of Britain in the Norwegian Sea. Footage from the Russian defence ministry shows the aircraft the Tu-95MS during war game drills. Nato air forces scrambled warplanes to monitor the flights which lasted five hours (Picture: east2west news)

NATO scrambles warplanes after Putin’s nuclear bombers spotted north of UK

• Thanks 1

It ain't over till it's over, but it's at least getting closer to the finish line...

Senate Poised to Advance Ukraine Bill as G.O.P. Splinters

Pressure from hard-liners, including former President Donald J. Trump, has not swayed a coalition of Republican senators that has broken with the party to back the bill.

A bipartisan coalition of senators was on track Monday to push a $95 billion foreign aid package to the brink of passage, as Republicans fractured bitterly over the bill.

Over the past week, 18 Republicans have rallied around the legislation, helping to advance it through the Senate despite the full-throated opposition of the bulk of G.O.P. senators, Republican leaders in the House and the party’s likely presidential nominee, Donald J. Trump.

But the pressure appeared to have backfired, at least partially, in the Senate, where by Monday, more than a third of Republicans had cast multiple votes to keep the aid bill moving forward — and their coalition appeared to be holding firm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/12/us/politics/senate-ukraine-aid.html

• chaos 1

36 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It ain't over till it's over, but it's at least getting closer to the finish line...

Senate Poised to Advance Ukraine Bill as G.O.P. Splinters

Pressure from hard-liners, including former President Donald J. Trump, has not swayed a coalition of Republican senators that has broken with the party to back the bill.

A bipartisan coalition of senators was on track Monday to push a $95 billion foreign aid package to the brink of passage, as Republicans fractured bitterly over the bill.

Over the past week, 18 Republicans have rallied around the legislation, helping to advance it through the Senate despite the full-throated opposition of the bulk of G.O.P. senators, Republican leaders in the House and the party’s likely presidential nominee, Donald J. Trump.

But the pressure appeared to have backfired, at least partially, in the Senate, where by Monday, more than a third of Republicans had cast multiple votes to keep the aid bill moving forward — and their coalition appeared to be holding firm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/12/us/politics/senate-ukraine-aid.html

I don't know US congressional procedure very well, but I think it only needs a simple majority in the house? (please correct me if you know otherwise). I think it has a chance, that's only 4 Republicans that need to vote for it.

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I don't know US congressional procedure very well, but I think it only needs a simple majority in the house? (please correct me if you know otherwise). I think it has a chance, that's only 4 Republicans that need to vote for it.

Yes, I think you are right.   The only remaining question is will Trump and the house MAGAs be able to derail it.  They are trying do so but (so far) have not succeeded