The Russia/Ukraine War Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Combined with a picture with Putin as his profile on social media, it's hard to argue that he's doing anything other than supporting Putin. 

If I could Ovy would be on his way back to Russia. The week after he would be in trench on the front. Same for any other Russian player in North America.  Some comments made months ago about Podz. Same treatment as Ovy if his attitude is the same. 

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah.  No shit.  
over 7 years ago he played hockey in a Putin tourney.  Cool.  
Old news. 
The comment was about OV activity campaigning Putin’s reelection. 

It says on that screenshot that it's still active. And he didn't just play in it, he created it

Edited by MattJVD

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah.  No shit.  
over 7 years ago he played hockey in a Putin tourney.  Cool.  
Old news. 
The comment was about OV activity campaigning Putin’s reelection. 

No, it was way above and beyond “one tournament”. He actively promotes it until this day between russian NHL players in their shared chat room.

GUEST ESSAY

Putin Has Already Lost

Feb. 22, 2024, 1:00 a.m. ET👍

A black-and-white photograph of Vladimir Putin, scratching his head with his left hand. Credit...Natalia Kolesnikova/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

A black-and-white photograph of Vladimir Putin, scratching his head with his left hand.

• Share full article
  •  

By Rajan Menon

Mr. Menon is the director of the grand strategy program at Defense Priorities, an American foreign policy think tank.

Want the latest stories related to Russia and Ukraine? Sign up for the newsletter Your Places: Global Update, and we’ll send them to your inbox.

As the second anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine approaches, it has become a commonplace that time favors President Vladimir Putin. With Ukraine running low on weaponry and ammunition, American military assistance in doubt and Russia determined to fight on, Ukrainian victory now seems out of reach. Some influential experts go further, insisting that Kyiv will suffer only more death and destruction by persisting and should seek a political settlement with Moscow — even if it requires sacrificing territory.

And yet, for all that, Mr. Putin’s war has failed. As Carl von Clausewitz famously stressed, war is not ultimately about killing people and destroying things: It’s a means to achieve specific political ends. Those who start wars expect to be in a better strategic position once the gunfire stops. But even if this war ends with Russia retaining all the Ukrainian land it now holds — a scenario Ukrainians would find more than unpalatable — Moscow’s position will be worse. No matter what, Ukraine will go its own way. For Mr. Putin, more concerned by Ukraine than any other country that arose from the wreckage of the Soviet Union, that alone is tantamount to defeat.

If the fundamental purpose of Mr. Putin’s war was to keep Ukraine within Russia’s orbit — politically, culturally and economically — it has had the opposite effect. Ukraine’s leaders and citizens, particularly those from younger generations, have decided that their future lies with the West, not Russia. The prevalence of this mind-set became increasingly palpable over the course of four trips I have taken to Ukraine since the invasion; no visitor to Ukraine will fail to be struck by its many daily manifestations. Everywhere you go, Ukrainians speak Western languages, particularly English, in seemingly ever greater numbers.

Ukraine tends to be depicted as an uneasy amalgam of two national communities: one in the country’s western regions, defined by Ukrainian ethnicity and language, the other in its Russophone east and south. If this was ever wholly accurate, it is no longer. To take one example, any visitor to Ukraine’s eastern and southern front lines will encounter soldiers who speak to one another in Russian and may not even know Ukrainian. But they see themselves as citizens of Ukraine committed to preventing Russia from subordinating their homeland — a cause for which they are prepared to die.

ADVERTISEMENT

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

More than any other event, Russia’s full-scale invasion in 2022 has contributed to this sentiment. Ukrainian nationalism today, transcending region and language, reflects a deep determination to forge an identity defined by separation from, even antipathy toward, Russia. Indeed, Mr. Putin may go down in history as of one its main, if unwitting, catalysts. Given his conviction that Russians and Ukrainians are really one people, such a result is especially ironic.

His war has backfired not only in Ukraine but also in Europe. The European Union, jolted into action by the invasion, summoned a common spirit in its support for Ukraine. Previously somewhat divided in its approach to Russia, the bloc has acted in near unanimity — Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary being the only exception — to oppose Mr. Putin’s act of aggression. Equally important, Ukraine’s journey toward E.U. membership, for years fiercely opposed in Moscow, is now very much in train, even if it won’t be a short ride. One sign of progress: Along with Moldova, Ukraine officially began negotiations to join the bloc late last year.

Then there’s NATO. Russia’s invasion was undeniably an attempt to forestall the alliance’s eastern encroachment, which Mr. Putin has long regarded as a threat. In the event, Russia’s assault on Ukraine impelled two more countries, Finland and Sweden, to seek NATO membership. Neither had shown the slightest inclination to sign up before the invasion and both have first-rate armies. With their addition, Russia will be even more hemmed in, not least in the Baltic Sea and by the 830-mile land border it shares with Finland.

What’s more, Russia’s attack jolted non-U.S. NATO countries into rethinking their longstanding aversion to boosting military expenditure. According to NATO estimates, the combined annual military spending of Canada and the European members of the alliance increased to 8.3 percent in 2023, from 2 percent in 2022. This year, 18 member states are reportedly set to meet the goal of spending 2 percent of their gross domestic product on their militaries — a sixfold increase in a decade. Even in Germany, historically sensitive to Russia’s security interests and an advocate of engagement with Moscow, the mood has shifted. Its defense minister now warns that Russia has become a serious, growing threat.

Ukraine, of course, is keen to join the alliance: a nightmare scenario for the Kremlin. But even if that desire remains unfulfilled — as seems likely, at least in the near term — Ukraine will continue looking to NATO countries for help in training its soldiers, equipping its armed forces and building modern defense industries by signing agreements for technology transfers and joint production. Even a non-NATO Ukraine will not quite be nonaligned because of its substantial and increasing defense ties with the West.

Editors’ Picks

16TIKTOK-RED-square640.jpg?quality=75&au

What Is ‘Unexpected Red’?

merlin_202696338_41f4cf49-3706-44b8-a732

Learn How to Make One of NYT Cooking’s Most Popular Recipes

TB-TOE-TAPPING-FROGS-01-fghm-square640.j

Poison Frogs Have a Strange Behavior That Scientists Seek to Explain

ADVERTISEMENT

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

The pessimists may be right: If American military assistance were to cease, Ukraine would find it far harder, perhaps even impossible, to reclaim more of its land and may even lose additional territory. Yet even a smaller Ukraine will remain strategically important. When it became independent in 1991 it ranked — Russia aside — first in Europe in size and fifth in population. Even a truncated Ukraine would be among Europe’s biggest countries, its heft added to by a battle-tested army of 500,000 that is already far larger than that of any European NATO country and that will only become stronger and more modern.

Mr. Putin sees Ukraine as a peerless prize, even a Russian entitlement. But the war he started to possess it has guaranteed that it will never be his.

Rajan Menon is the director of the grand strategy program at Defe

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, RomanPer said:

No, it was way above and beyond “one tournament”. He actively promotes it until this day between russian NHL players in their shared chat room.

I know it’s beyond 1 tourney.  
It’s still irrelevant to what was being discussed. 
Also, your opinion doesn’t count as fact either.  
I asked for proof of the claim he is CURRENTLY CAMPAIGNING FOR PUTINS REELECTION.  
No one has actually backed it up.  
If there was actual proof, I’d be happy to change my opinion of him.  

Until then, it’s just a guy who used to support the president of his home country that has also said he does not support the war. 

Folks can add whatever they want to his words, we all know folks here are creating at making up their own shit, but until I see otherwise….. it’s just folks making shit up. 

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I asked for proof of the claim he is CURRENTLY CAMPAIGNING FOR PUTINS REELECTION.  

Until then, it’s just a guy who used to support the president of his home country that has also said he does not support the war. 

Folks can add whatever they want to his words, we all know folks here are creating at making up their own shit, but until I see otherwise….. it’s just folks making shit up. 

could you take your whiny trucker convoy attitude to private messages, you are continually derailing threads and it’s not appreciate here.  Move along please. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I saw the messages with my own eyes, but I can't provide any proof beyond that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I saw the messages with my own eyes, but I can't provide any proof beyond that.

So you have nothing.  
Why respond to a question you can’t answer?

41 minutes ago, Rook said:

could you take your whiny trucker convoy attitude to private messages, you are continually derailing threads and it’s not appreciate here.  Move along please. 

Hey smart guy, you and the convoy can pound sand.  
Someone claimed he was campaigning the election.  I asked to see the proof.  
No one has provided that, but still seem to feel the need to answer with irrelevant shit.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

So you have nothing.  

Hey smart guy, you and the convoy can pound sand.  
Someone claimed he was campaigning the election.  I asked to see the proof.  
No one has provided that, but still seem to feel the need to answer with irrelevant shit.  

If he hasn’t done what Zadorov has done, he will be viewed as a supporter.  Isn’t that hard for you to understand?  Also, you’ve been asked to move along and keep the thread on track, please do so. I don’t need you to respond to me

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

So you have nothing.  

I don't owe you anything. I'm just saying what I know. I don't give 2 shits whether you believe me or not. He's convinced Ukraine is a nazi country, the war is justified. and putin is doing everything right. And he's not the only NHL player with the same thought process.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RomanPer said:

I don't owe you anything. I'm just saying what I know. I don't give 2 shits whether you believe me or not. He's convinced Ukraine is a nazi country, the war is justified. and putin is doing everything right. And he's not the only NHL player with the same thought process.

You don’t owe me shit.  That is correct.  In fact, you weren’t even part of the conversation. 
You decided to chime in with your ‘evidence’.   
And like I said before, you could be totally right, and if provided with evidence I’d be more than happy to say fuck OV.  
I don’t like to add words to what others say. He publicly came out and said he doesn’t support the war.  
IMO, that is more than he is required to say and hopefully it’s enough to keep his family safe.  
If he is campaigning for Putin, I hope he gets eaten by pigs.  
Im not the kinda person that makes shit up in my head about someone else and crucifies them for my idea. 
I prefer fact. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rook said:

If he hasn’t done what Zadorov has done, he will be viewed as a supporter.  Isn’t that hard for you to understand?

To each their own.  

He said war bad.  Everything else is your own words being put into his mouth.  
Is that too hard for you to understand?   

8 minutes ago, Rook said:

Also, you’ve been asked to move along and keep the thread on track, please do so. I don’t need you to respond to me

I don’t give a shit what you have asked me to do. 
This is a conversation about the president of Russia and it related to the war.  
Dont like it, block me.  

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

To each their own.  

He said war bad.  Everything else is your own words being put into his mouth.  
Is that too hard for you to understand?   

I don’t give a shit what you have asked me to do. 
This is a conversation about the president of Russia and it related to the war.  
Dont like it, block me.  

Take your wanna be tough guy keyboard warrior to another thread dude.  This thread is different that others.  Your continual derailing of this thread will have a forum sniper visit you before you know it.  But keep it up, by all means 🤦‍♂️ also, the constant swearing at people isn’t appreciated.  You wouldn’t talk to me in person like that, so don’t do it here

12 minutes ago, Rook said:

Take your wanna be tough guy keyboard warrior to another thread dude.  This thread is different that others.  Your continual derailing of this thread will have a forum sniper visit you before you know it.  But keep it up, by all means 🤦‍♂️ also, the constant swearing at people isn’t appreciated.  You wouldn’t talk to me in person like that, so don’t do it here

Like I said before.  Go ahead and block me. 
Im here to talk about Putin and the war.
Not your sensitivities. 
Your continuous whining is derailing this thread.  
Feel free to PM me and cry there if you like.  

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Like I said before.  Go ahead and block me. 
Im here to talk about Putin and the war.
Not your sensitivities. 
Your continuous whining is derailing this thread.  
Feel free to PM me and cry there if you like.  

Putin is a War criminal, and anyone who has backed him up in the past can either denounce him and the war or be seen as a supporter.  Big Z has just as much to lose as Ovenchicken.  The difference is, big Z is a quality human and Ovi is a terrorist sympathizer. Btw, I ain’t crying sunshine 😂 you need to learn some respect it seems. Nobody is cussing at you so I expect the same.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rook said:

Putin is a War criminal, and anyone who has backed him up in the past can either denounce him and the war or be seen as a supporter.  Big Z has just as much to lose as Ovenchicken.  The difference is, big Z is a quality human and Ovi is a terrorist sympathizer. Btw, I ain’t crying sunshine 😂 you need to learn some respect it seems. Nobody is cussing at you so I expect the same.

Enough of the personal comments and censoring. 
Im not interested in discussing what you find offensive.   

We don’t know Zad’s situation. 
There are tons of Russians in the league who said the same as OV then stayed quiet.  
There are also lots of Russians support Putin, but unless they come out and say it, it’s all an assumption.  

Sooey Steamer claimed there was current campaigning being done, then disappeared when asked about it. 
Without proof, it seems like a big claim. 
I don’t doubt it is true for a second, but I’m not about to shit talk the guy because of someone’s claim on a hockey board. Especially since we often see first hand how much shit is spewed and made up by emotional folks here 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm getting very tired of all this 'new/extra sanctions' B.s.

Why the hell is any 'civilized' country doing ANY trade with Russia, at this point?

Really makes it clear that money, means more than lives, to way too many people in power.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1